Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A Mind among Men ❯ Remembering ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Mind among Men
A Ranma Fanfic
Written By : Noaki (Noaki@juno.com)

Disclaimer : I do not own in any way shape or form any
part of Ranma. I only use it's characters and some of its
storyline.

Conversation Key :
[" "]=Thoughts
" " =Speaking
* * =Telepathy
{" "}=Panda Signs
\" "/=Other Languages

Chapter One
Remembering

+--------------------------------------------- -------------+

What has happened (Time line):
This fanfic takes place a week after the failed wedding attempt. Ranma sits on the roof and thinks (Hell let out for a snow day) about and upcoming challenge. He finally decides to use a scroll that could very well drive him insane for life. Now we get to find out what was on the scroll :)

+----------------------------------------------------------+

Ranma pulled the scroll out from it's hiding place. He almost unrolled it there, but decided he needed someplace where he wouldn't be disturbed. He decided on the dojo. He hid the scroll in his shirt and walked downstairs towards the dojo.

"Where do you think you are going?" Nabiki said as he walked by the living room.

"Uhh... nowhere really." Ranma said nervously.

Nabiki narrowed her eyes and took a close look. ["What does he think he is hiding in his shirt? I better look into this."] she thought as she noticed the bulge in the front of Ranma's shirt. "Fine. But remember you have school tomorrow. Don't stay up too late." she said. ["I'll just follow him and see what he is up to."]

Ranma laughed nervously and continued to walk to the dojo. After he arrived he sat down on a mat in the middle, never noticing Nabiki watching him from the shadows. He slowly undid the clasp and unrolled the scroll, but didn't look at it yet. ["It's too late for second thoughts. I have no other choice. I'll just have to risk it."] he thought as he slowly turned his head down to read the scroll.

Dear Ranma,
If you are reading this then I am sure
something has happened and you require
your memories of the past that I locked
away. Indeed, it must be a great
importance for you to risk the Neko-ken
like this. Before you continue, please
give it a second thought. If there is
any other way other than this, I would
advise you to take it.

Since you have continued to read
you must be careful. Clear your mind
and repeat the words printed at the
bottom of the scroll out loud.

Good luck Ranma.

Kionai

Ranma took a moment to reread the scroll. Another tear rolled down his face at the thought of Mistress Kionai. She had always helped him in every memory he had of her. Even to this day she planned ahead to look out for him. He took a deep breath and calmed his nerves, slipping into the Soul of Ice for better concentration. He felt the familiar chill in the air as he fully unrolled the scroll and read the words on the bottom out loud. "Bippidy Boppidy Boo..." he said, then chaos assaulted his mind. The Neko-ken came out of it's corner in his mind and enveloped his world in darkness. He fell backwards from his sitting position into a restless sleep.

Nabiki was shocked, she heard Ranma say something from a weird American movie then faint. She rushed out to him to check for his pulse. His heart was still beating steadily and his breathing was only slightly slower than normal. She quickly got up and found Akane to help her drag Ranma to his room. ["What has he gotten himself into this time?"]
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

The next morning the sun shone brightly through the guest room's window. The beam of photons shined onto Ranma's face. He slowly opened one eye and looked around the room. His gaze passed the window and the direct sunlight made him flinch and close his eyes tightly.

"Kasumi, Nabiki! Ranma is awake!" Akane shouted when she noticed Ranma's motions.

"How are you feeling and what happened?" Nabiki asked as she and Kasumi ran into the room.

"Meow." Ranma said.

"Oh my!" Kasumi said.

"The Neko-ken?" Akane and Nabiki said, at the same time. They looked at each other then looked back at Ranma.

"Did I just say 'Meow'?" Ranma asked as he sat up.

"Yes you did, and I would very much like to know why." Nabiki replied.

"Umm... hehehe. Look at the time!" Ranma said while scratching the back of his head. "I better eat quickly so I'm not late for school." he said as he rushed out of the room and jumped down all the stairs at once, landing on all fours.

"Ranma... concerned about school? And what was up with his landing?" Akane mumbled.

"Something odd is going on." Nabiki said. ["And I am determined to find out."]
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"Halt foul demon who would dare to defy me; Kuno, the Blue Thunder of Furinkan High! I shall purge this realm of your existence today and send you back to the flaming pits that spawned you! Then I shall finally free the Tigress Akane, and the Pigtailed-Goddess from your evil spells." Kuno spouted as he pointed his bokken at the approaching figure of Ranma.

"Not today Kuno. Your mouth is the only flaming pit I've ever seen on a regular basis. I'm sure Hell would be much quieter though." Ranma said as he casually knocked Kuno out with a thrown rock.

"I fight on!" Kuno mumbled as he slumped to the ground.

"I'm sure you do." Ranma said as he left a stunned Akane and Nabiki behind him and walked into the school building.

"What is wrong with Ranma?" Akane asked quietly.

"Ask him, not me." Nabiki replied.
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"Saotome! Since you seem to not require paying attention to the studies, then you must already know the material." the teacher said as he looked at Ranma, who was staring out the window as usual. "What are the roots of the problem 'X^3-6X^2-X+30'?" he asked, a grin on his face for pegging Ranma with bucket duty again.

"-2, 3, and 5." Ranma replied instantly, his gaze never drifting.

The teacher was stunned. How RANMA of all people got that right was odd. And how he didn't even need to try and work the problem... he must be cheating. "Very well Ranma, try this one. 'X^4-3X^3-2X^2+2X+12'."

"-1-i, -1+i, 2, and 3." Ranma answered as he did before.

The teacher and class face-faulted. The regained their feet and chairs quickly. ["Lets see him cheat on one at the end of the book!"] he thought as he flipped to the first lesson of the last chapter. "What is the cosecant of a 210 degree angle?" he said.

"-2." Ranma said.

"Wha... How? Fine, what is the second law of thermodynamics?" the teacher asked desperately.

"I must be in the wrong room. I'm supposed to be in math, not science. And the answer is Entropy, all energy moves towards disorder." Ranma said calmly as he started to gather his books to leave the room.

"No stay, I'm gonna go get an aspirin. This must be a weird dream." the teacher said as he left the room.

"When did you learn all that?" Akane hissed at Ranma, who was siting right next to her.

"What? Oh, dunno. Just knew it." He replied. ["I gotta be more careful. Don't want it to seem like I changed THAT much overnight... even if it is true."] he thought as he decided to ignore whispers of the class around him.
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

Akane and her friend Kekkan and Musume we outside eating lunch. The topic of the conversation was today's strange happenings in the classroom.

"What is up with Ranma? He seems... smart today or something. Did Shampoo drug him again?" Kekkan asked Akane.

"Maybe. He collapsed last night and woke up this morning acting funny." Akane replied.

"Well lets go ask him and find out! He shouldn't be keeping secrets from his fiancee after all!" Musume said as she and Kekkan grabbed Akane by the arms and dragged her towards the tree Ranma was eating and reading under.

"He is not my fiancee!" Akane protested, but allowed herself to be drug towards Ranma anyway. Just then she noticed the cat sneaking up on him. "Ranma don't turn around!" she shouted as she rushed forward to pick up the cat and hide it from view.

"What?" Ranma said as he looked up from his food and book to watch Akane run towards him. He suddenly felt a light weight on top of his head. He reached up and pulled a light gray cat off. "Hello there. Want some fish cakes?" he asked calmly. The cat meowed and Ranma grinned as he gave the kitten a little treat. "There ya go." he said happily.

"RAN-CHAN I'LL SAVE YOU!" Ukyo shouted as she ran towards Ranma to remove the kitten from him. She reached forward and fell over as the kitten suddenly latched onto Ranma's shirt and out of the way of her hand. "Don't worry Ran-chan!"

"Why would I worry? Your the one that scared C-chan here." he replied as he rolled her off of his lap.

"C-chan? What that mean?" Shampoo said as she landed her bike next to Ranma, the bowl of ramen she brought for him forgotten for the moment.

"C as in cat and chan for cute. If Akane can name the pig P-chan, I figure I can name this kitten C-chan." he said with a smile. The kitten meowed as it looked up at Ranma. "Oh, he likes the name Kooshaku better it seems." Ranma said as he petted the small, gray, ball of fur.

"What about the Neko-ken?" Akane said as she reached him.

"What about it? Oh! I see what you mean. It's not a problem anymore. Just don't tell anyone, it's my surprise for the upcoming fight." Ranma said with a grin. "Now then, I gotta finish this book."

Akane, Ukyo, and Shampoo sweatdropped when Ranma picked up his book and started reading, still holding the kitten, and completely ignored them.

"Well... that explains alot I guess." Musume said softly.
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"No way Pops!" Ranma shouted as he smacked his father into the koi pond.

{"You cannot leave! We have to plan your wedding!"} Genma-panda signed as he swung a paw at Ranma.

"I gotta go train! And I'm not getting married, not unless you somehow win! If you think you can keep me here so I can't train, you have another thing coming." Ranma said.

{"Insolent boy! Stop acting like a weak little girl."} Genma-panda signed.

Ranma grinned then hopped into the koi pond. "Like this?" Ranma-chan said as she pulled a mallet out of nowhere and beaned Genma-panda with it.

As Genma-panda collapsed a sign fell to the floor. {"I'll have a talk to Akane about teaching you that..."}

"Oh my. Umm... Dinner is ready Ranma." Kasumi said from the porch.

"Thanks. I'll be leaving after eating." Ranma-chan replied as she walked upstairs to change into a dry shirt.
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"I'll be back in ten days. I put all my school work on the floor in the guest room. Turn it in for me if you can." Ranma-chan said as she heated her backpack and began to walk towards the gate of the Tendo compound.

"Stay away from those floozies!" Akane shouted after him.

"Can't you trust me? I'm just going to the woods to train." Ranma-chan replied.

"How can I trust you? You never have earned it! And why do you need to train?" Akane said.

Ranma-chan stopped right before leaving the gate. "I need to train so I don't hurt anyone." she replied without turning around.

"Don't hurt anyone?" Akane asked, visibly confused.

"That's right. I have a new technique. I have to learn to control it. That's all. I have to leave now." Ranma-chan said as she walked out the gate and turned onto the sidewalk.

"That baka..." Akane whispered, then walked back into her room. As she was walking up the stairs, she looked down to see a small black pig on the floor. "Oh P-chan! I'm so confused... maybe you can help me. You see Ranma..." Akane started as she picked up P-chan and closed the door to her room.
_ _ _ _ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_Ten Days Later_=-+-=_=-+-=_

The sun was rising over the Tendo dojo. Kasumi was folding laundry when she heard the front door open. "Ranma! Your back! Let me see your bag and I'll wash your clothes." Kasumi said as Ranma-chan walked into the house.

"Thanks Kasumi, but I'll do it myself. You should rest to get rid of that headache of yours." Ranma-chan replied.

"Oh my! Thank you. But, how did you know I had a headache?" Kasumi replied.

Ranma-chan just smiled.

"So, you decided you like your female form more now?" Nabiki asked as she came down the stairs, yawning.

"Not really. Had a run in with a fire truck. I was meditating before I came back. Some idiot thought my aura was a flame and called the fire department." Ranma-chan said.

"Do you really exp..." Nabiki started before Ranma-chan cut her off.

"No, I don't expect you to believe that. But it is what happened. I'll show you the tape later. The dash camera on the fire truck caught the whole thing." Ranma-chan said.

"..."

"I'm gonna go put my stuff in the wash. I'll be in the furo after that." Ranma-chan said as she walked towards the laundry room, taking off her pack as she went.

"Was that Ranma?" Akane said as she came down the stairs.

"Yes, I think. Something is weird here though. I can't quite put a finger on it..." Nabiki said.

"You'll get it later, I'm going to the dojo." Akane said.

"Breakfast will be ready at 7:30." Kasumi told her.

"Thanks."
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

"Hold Ranma, Dark Mage of Furinkan High, I Kuno, Blue Thunder of Furinkan High, challenge you today! Have at the!" Kuno shouted as he swung his bokken at Ranma's head.

"Dark Mage of Furinkan High? Let me guess? Missed me the past ten days?" Ranma replied as he ducked under a swing then hopped lightly over the next. "Really Kuno, I did like Ranma Saotome better than Ranma the Dark Mage. Stick to my real name and hold the poetry please."

"I shall release the pig-tailed one and Akane Tendo from your vile grasp!"

"Wait till the challenge tomorrow. Happosai will get ticked if I injure you now. Who knows what he would do to you and me for jumping the gun on the battle." Ranma replied.

Kuno stopped dead in his tracks, face white as a sheet. "True, I shall hold my fury until the morrow. But then you shall face I, The Blue Thunder, in honorable combat. I shall fight on!"

"You do that." Ranma said as he walked into the school building.

"Did Ranma just defuse a Kuno-bomb?" someone asked Nabiki.

Nabiki stared out the third floor window of her classroom. "I think he did. Kuno must not be feeling well today. Ranma can't talk his way out of a parrot shop." ["That, or something has changed. I have to find out what he is up to."]
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

The day proceeded as normal for a Friday at Furinkan High. All except for the fact that Ranma was spending more time in class than in the halls with bucket duty and Kuno was halfway sane. News of the upcoming fight had already been spread, and now news that maybe China or Russia was a nice place to visit tomorrow.

After school let out, Nermia was oddly quiet. For once Shampoo hadn't glomped Ranma all day, she was too busy finding out what was wrong with him. Ukyo kept her distance from Ranma, scared of what was happening. Akane never pulled her mallet in anger, for Ranma seemed to have discovered a cure for his foot-in-mouth disease that had plagued him for so long. Kodachi was away at a happy camp (read as lunatic farm) untill tomorrow, so she wasn't a problem. Soun and Genma had no time to harass Ranma or Akane, they were busy training with the master. Happosai was enjoying sending the two idiots out to do his dirty work for him, so he sat back and relaxed and prepared for the fight tomorrow. By Nermia formulas, it was going to be a doozy.
_ _ _
_=-+-=_=-+-=_

The sun rose over the fields of Furinkan High, sending long thin shadows spearing into the dew covered grass. A large crowd had gathered to watch what promised to be a fight that could make an alien invasion seem boring. The shadows revealed one figure standing across from a fair multitude gathered around a small old man in the middle. As even the birds quieted down to watch the mayhem that was sure to erupt, the fighters began their introductions.

+-------------------------------------------------- --------+

Yes, I know I suck for leaving off here, but it is late at night - or early in the morning - and I want to get to bed and sleep. Maybe I'll come up with some interesting ideas for the fight while I sleep. Over half of this story is something I had a dream about. I'm still wondering why I dream of Ranma fight sequences and such. Enough pointless chatter, I'm delusional and sleepy at the moment. I'll have the next chapter out ASAP and hopefully, it will be longer. Now that I have background out of the way I should be able to write longer chapters.

On another note, I am still trying to decide who Ranma will decide to marry. If he decides to marry. Maybe I'll be evil and have him marry the ladle lady or something. Muahahaha. Fear my mind at one in the morning.

Noaki (Noaki@juno.com)