Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Neutral Ground ❯ Cat astrophe at Furinkan ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
NEUTRAL GROUND 5:
Cat-astrophe At Furinkan by Gregg Sharp

"I'm on? Oh right. Ahem. My name is Tetsuo Tsukiku and welcome to another episode of 'Neutral Ground' one of the storylines in 'The Bet'. Uhm, am I in this one? No? Oh, damn. Well, maybe if there's a
'Happi Days' sequel?

"Eh-toh, Ranma 1/2 is tm Takahashi Rumiko, Viz, etc. Characters not used by permission, no profit being made, just typical fanfic stuff. Don't bring in the lawyers as my spirit wards are only rated as up to SPF (spiritual protection factor) three.

"Previous chapters have shown that a simple change of having the Tendos and Saotomes meet on Neutral Ground has had far reaching consequence. Ryouga attacked everyone at Jusenkyo for reasons to be revealed in this very episode, with the result that Nabiki, Kasumi, and
Ranma all have Jusenkyo curses. Ryouga has just been revealed to have fallen in the newly created Akanenichuan or 'Spring Of Drowned Uncute Tempramental Tomboy'...Ranma, were you the one who wrote these cue
cards? No, no magic. It was just a hunch."

-------------------------------------------

"R-Ry ouga?!" Ranma stared at the Akane standing in front of him. No wonder the baggy black leggings and yellow shirt looked familiar. "You?"

"Akane" spat at him. "Do you understand the hell I've been through because of you, Ranma? Because you ran out on a man-to-man fight with me, I followed you all the way to China!"

"I waited three days, you lunkhead! The site of our duel was the empty lot behind your house, how long was I SUPPOSED to wait?"

There was a muttering in the crowd. Half of them were still dealing with the fact that Nabiki was now sporting cat ears and a tail and had gone running off after announcing that this was an imposter Akane.

"Then the real horror..." *SPLASH*

Hot water dribbled down Ryouga as he shifted back to his normal form. He glared up at Nabiki-neko. "I'm trying to set a mood here!"

"I always knew Akane was a real tomboy," stage whispered one girl to another.

"Ugh, you mean we've been trying to win the heart of... that GUY?!" One of the bandaged Akane suitors shuddered. "Eeeewwwwww." His sentiment was echoed all over the schoolyard.

Ranma pursed his lips, thinking that Ryouga looked a little puzzled by the running commentary in the sidelines. "Uhm, excuse me, Ryouga? The real horror?"

"Oh, thanks. Well, it all began..."

"Aiyaaaaa! Shampoo! Look who here! It Bandana Boy!"

"Uh oh." Ryouga turned slowly, dreading what he would see. "A-Amazons? Here?"

"Bandana Boy here? Shampoo have to send word to village." Shampoo hopped down from the fence, not deigning to notice the way the crowd of students parted to give her a wide berth. "Shampoo know many Amazons want to meet Bandana Boy again."

Rie Ga waved to Ranma. "Nihao, Ranma. Bandana Boy here wander into Amazon hot spring, get nosebleed he look at many Amazon who relaxing. He run through many Amazon building where men not supposed to go. He run over Amazon beehive, he very tough, he very strong."

"He also knock out three Amazon womans," Shampoo nodded. "They all want to track him down, bring him back to village. He transform there. Turn into husband!"

"Eeep!" Ryouga's eyes got bigger. "Curse you Ranma, this is all your fault!"

"MY FAULT?" Ranma stared. "You crash a woman's bath in Amazon Country and it's MY FAULT? So why did you attack...oh, I get it. You saw I was with some girls and you thought I was in cahoots with the
Amazons."

"Don't deny it, Ranma! The proof is right there." Ryouga pointed at Shampoo and Rie Ga who were discussing the fastest way to send a report back to the Elders without either of them having to face Shampoo's great-grandmama again.

"Ryouga, you dummy. It ain't like that."

Ryouga tried to find comfort in physical confrontation, this battle of words wasn't his schtick at all. "It's past time for talk, Ranma, now DIE!"

"I wonder," Hiroshi and Daisuke held their glasses of water up. Nodding they unleashed them.

Ryouga transformed back into "Akane." Ranma became a shorter, much more feminine version of himself with longer pointed ears.

"What'cha do that for?" Ranma-chan yelled, revealing cute little fangs.

"Ranmaaaaa," Ryouga charged towards Ranma while he was distracted.

Ranma instinctively leapt over Ryouga and watched, dumbfounded, as the lost boy continued running.

"Rrrrowwrrrr," Nabiki-neko made an impressive leap and ran after Ryouga.

The crowd looked to Ranma-chan who was still staring at where Ryouga had been a moment ago. "This really sucks."

"Uhm, Ranma," Hiroshi began.

"Would you mind telling us what's going on?"

Ranma sighed and motioned Shampoo and Rie Ga closer. "As quickly as he gets lost, I'll never find him anyway. All right, people, it's like this..."

------

Akane wiped sweat away as Kasumi, no, Heisei went to find some hot water to change back with. Akane couldn't wait to show Ranma the new move she'd just learned.

"So you're back here, are you?" Ranma-chan landed, her dragonwings folding back and vanishing.

"Ranma? Good, I'm going to show you up now for not taking me seriously as a martial artist."

Ranma-chan settled into a fight stance and smiled. It was not a pleasant smile, cute little fangs or not. "You don't have to worry about that, Ryouga. When I was explaining to the guys at school, it all suddenly clicked together."

Akane slapped a fist into the palm of her other hand. "Talking crazy isn't going to get you out of this beating, Ranma."

"Don't worry," Ranma-chan's eyes went to slits. "I won't KILL you, Ryouga."

"You're nuts." Akane stepped forward, flipped back and began the flying circle kick that Heisei had just shown her how to do.

Ranma moved slightly, grabbing Akane's leg and increasing the momentum dramatically. Akane found herself quite literally flying across the yard, upside down, and not nearly as in control as Heisei had been when showing her the manuever.

*THOOOM!*

Akane realized that she was partially imbedded in the compound wall, upside down, and looking back at Ranma. "That....hurt..."

"Dragonwing!" Ranma-chan unfurled her wings and advanced at full speed towards Akane, fist first.

Akane's eyes widened as she realized what was about to happen. A little voice spoke up inside her head saying something about how it would be a really good idea to move right about now.

Akane moved just enough that Ranma-chan went through the indentation on the wall that she had just made, turning it into an actual hole.

Akane kept in a ready stance but began backing up. "Ranma, I'm glad you're taking me seriously as an opponent, but this is a bit much..."

Ranma-chan appeared overhead, reminding Akane of how a hawk would briefly appear to hover before making a sudden dive to grab a mouse or other morsel for a quick kill. The sudden equation of herself to such prey caused her pride to lock horns with her instinct for
self-preservation.

"You've got to live, Ryouga, otherwise you can't tell me what you've done with Akane." Ranma-chan began her dive.

"I'm NOT Ryouga!" Akane scrambled to get out of the way. As Ranma-chan came closer she aimed a kick at the dragongirl. It connected, but now Ranma-chan had her hands on Akane's extended leg.

"You didn't think I figured it out, Ryouga? That cute and sweet girl who offered to spar and be friends on that mountain trail suddenly turns into a violent tomboy ready to rip my head off all the time?"
Ranma-chan was lifting with her wings, hauling the dangling Akane straight up.

"When was I 'cute and sweet'?" Akane looked down and realized how fast they were gaining altitude. "Uh ohhhhhhhhh."

"Yeah, and you're gonna tell me where the REAL Akane is, or I'm letting you go when we get to airliner level."

"I _AM_ AKANE, YOU BONEHEAD!"

"Uh-huh. Real convincing, Ryouga. You obviously got away from Nabiki, but I'm not letting you get away that easily THIS time."

Akane looked down at the river underneath them now, and the tiny little lines that were roads. "Ranma, I think I really preferred it when you just dodged everything I threw at you, and you refused to hit me. Is it too late to go back to that arrangement?"

"Ryouga, if that cute, kind, friendly girl you are impersonating is harmed in ANY way, I will personally make your hide into Nabiki's scratching post." Ranma-chan let go and began to glide away from her opponent. "Top floor. Last chance, Ryouga!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa."

"Aiming for the ocean, Ryouga? Hey, you can't get lost now, can you? Only one way to go."

"AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa."

Ranma-chan sighed. This wasn't working. Stronger measures were obviously called for. She knew she had to rescue Akane, who knew what tortures she was going through while Ryouga was impersonating her?!

Akane scrunched her eyes. She was going to hit the water at terminal velocity, she couldn't swim and she was sure they called it "terminal" for a reason.

-------

Ryouga glanced behind him and damn near went into a panic, a rare moment for him. The girl chasing after him was keeping pace without even breathing hard, and making 30ft leaps. It was almost as if...

She was playing with him. Cat and mouse. As if she could easily catch him at any time, but was trying to wear him down before moving in for the kill.

Ryouga continued to run, but was now considering the inevitable fight. He didn't hit women, normally. After what happened in that village of Amazons he was especially reluctant to hit any MORE women.

As soon as he found a tight area that would restrict the cat-girl's speed, he'd turn and fight her. He'd show her that Ryouga Hibiki, no matter the outside form, was not someone to toy with.

--------

"Oh my." Kasumi watched as a sopping wet Ranma caused her dragonwings to vanish and dumped an equally soaked Akane on the porch.

"Kasumi, Ryouga's somehow taken Akane's form. Can you get me some hot water?" Ranma sighed and looked down where the gi was plastered against her chest. She still didn't like turning into a girl, but had to admit that this form had some serious advantages. Faster and
stronger than her uncursed form, able to fly and who knew what else. Maybe he ought to have Nabiki help him figure it out, she could dig up some references on the supposed abilities of dragons and he could see if any of them carried over to his cursed form.

Kasumi brought a cup of hot water. With herself, Nabiki, AND Ranma all having curses, one of those little hot water dispensers had become a necessity. Even if Nabiki had rigged them with a coin slot. Genma didn't really seem to care whether he was a panda or not at any particular juncture, and so rarely used the device. Of course, it might have just been that he was cheap.

*SPLASH*. Akane jerked a little bit, opened her eyes, and scooted AWAY from Ranma-chan. "Stay away from me, don't come any closer..."

"She didn't change," Ranma noted.

"No." Kasumi said with a puzzled expression.

"I'm Akane, really." Akane was watching Ranma carefully. There was no anger there, only fear. She was quite obviously hurt, but it was her pride that had taken the most severe beating. "I'm not Ryouga."

"If you're Akane," Ranma began, not really wanting to consider the possibility that he'd made a mistake, "then what were we talking about on the trail?"

"What?" Akane scooted a little further away. "I don't remember, it wasn't important, we were just making small talk!"

"Ara...Ranma-kun," Kasumi interjected. "I think this really IS Akane."

Ranma flinched as he saw the fear in the young girl's eyes and hoped Kasumi was wrong.

--------

Ryouga ran into the narrow alleyway, then turned and made ready for the pursuing catgirl. Since his little "adventure" in the Amazon village, he had become a lot more ready to hit girls. Not *too* much - as that caused other problems. Hitting them to get away from them was fine though.

"C'mere, you little monster," Ryouga taunted. It would be easier to fight her if he thought of the catgirl as some sort of monster. Never mind the flash of golden leg as she leapt overhead, it didn't matter. Especially as he was still in girl-form.

A sound behind him caused Ryouga to duck just as something went past him at high speeds. The billowing grey skirt revealed itself
as a schooldress.

Nabiki smiled. The mouse had turned and was ready to fight. Judging from the hole this "Akane" had made in the walkway, Nabiki
couldn't allow her opponent to get close enough to grapple. The narrow alley with debris and garbage underfoot would also make footing uncertain, particularly in her instinctual high speed mode of combat.

The mouse had chosen an excellent place to make a stand.

Nabiki hid and watched from a distance, feline instincts coming into play. Cats can be quite patient, when they want to be and when circumstances merit it.

---------

Several hours later, Akane had calmed down enough to be yelling and threatening Ranma on a constant basis, despite the other's attempt at apologies.

Nabiki sat, shaking slightly, looking at her manicured hands and wondering if, like Lady MacBeth, she'd be able to look at her hands again without seeing blood there. Ryouga had gotten away, but not without Nabiki-neko's claw attack drawing a fair amount of blood.

Kasumi, humming what Shampoo and Rie Ga recognized as an old Amazon love song, was cleaning up from dinner. That the song had a decidedly martial air was to be expected.

Rie Ga and Shampoo sat on the roof, ignoring the boy who
sat on the other end, and discussed quietly what a weird place the
outside world was. They had finally decided to send Cologne a postcard
telling the Elder of their discoveries and that they'd be staying here for some time.

Soun and Genma played shogi and plotted how to get Heisei
to challenge Ranma. After all, if Nabiki didn't work out, there was
always the chance Kasumi would.

Ryouga, miles away already, and carrying her backpack, was really getting tired of this guy with the candles strapped to his head
following her around. She reminded herself she didn't beat on people
who'd die just from the air pressure, and this "Hikaru Gosunkugi" didn't look like he could take much of a punch.

Tatewaki Kuno stared at the ceiling, where Sasuke had placed the three posters he'd requested. "Ah, Akane Tendo, so proud and strong! Ah, Shampoo, so swift and fierce! Ah, Tiger, so young and energetic! I must have them all!"

Sasuke tried to ignore the ranting and hysterical laughter
from the master, which was easier with the full body cast in place.
It was truly not a thought worthy of a loyal ninja like himself, but he
wondered if he could get Kodachi to annoy the two Amazons, and what it would be like to have some peace and quiet at the Kuno estate. He supposed it would be...nice.

Luna watched the evening news, saw the blurry pictures of a
winged girl and a catgirl, and just KNEW the Negaverse was at work
again. She'd have to convince Usagi to gather the Sailor Senshi and
investigate this.

Ayaka Kisaragi saw the same coverage and wondered if maybe she
could find another client. Hmmm. Nerima. She hadn't been out that way for years.

Yohko found her grandmother ranting about how some pesky demons
were showing up in one of the suburbs. Mamono Hunter Yohko hoped it wouldn't make her late, she had a date in a few hours.

Ataru Moroboshi saw the picture of the catgirl and drooled. "Kawa-iiii." He just had to meet her. Nerima? She was close, therefore the gods had smiled on him!

Ryu glanced at the monitor. Hmm. This might make for an interesting fight, he'd heard rumors of another sort of Street Fighter
circuit, composed of supernatural beings, perhaps they would be sufficient challenge.

Sakura watched the television with a manic grin. Cool. The fight between the girl and the dragon-girl looked like just the sort of thing that would draw Ryu out.

Jon Talbain exchanged a glance with his companion, who was staring at the picture on the tape. "I didn't know there were
other catgirls around."

"I didn't either," Felicity said as she continued to stare. "Do you suppose they're Darkstalkers?"

"I suppose we'll have to go to this Nerima and find out." Jon nodded. "The other one looks different from Morrigan, but I suppose she COULD be another succubus..."

-----

NEXT EPISODE: Neutral Ground 6/6
Ranma fights, Nabiki makes
money, Akane gets mad, Kasumi gets
wet, and Shampoo and Rie Ga try to
fit in. It's the wrap up of Neutral Ground
(unless it wins "The Bet" of course.)
See you there.

"gomen ne, has anyone done a
You're Under Arrest/Patlabor fusion?"