Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma 1/2: The Truth and the Tempest ❯ More than Words ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: The characters and setting herein- with the exception of one or two O.C.’s of my own design- are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I may not be able to write at a consistently fast pace, so please bear with me. This chapter offers a bit of closure for one part of the saga- a sort of interlude before the storm, and in my humble opinion a much needed one.



Ranma ½: The Truth and the Tempest

Chapter 2: More Than Words

--------------------

Several days had passed since the events on Phoenix Mountain. A modicum of peace had settled over those directly involved- but such peace did not last very long. A few slips of the tongue, coupled with reasonably well-intentioned but poorly received invitations, meant certain disaster for a certain ceremony, intended to take place at a certain dojo. By the time it was all over, certain parties were more than a little battered, bruised, and in some cases singed and smoking. In short, a fine mess.

Night was falling, and the majority of the Tendo household was picking up the pieces as best they could. Soun flipped back and forth rapidly from exasperation to misery, prompting the others to keep plenty of handkerchiefs nearby. Nabiki was running up a tally on repair costs, silently kicking herself for sending out certain invitations. Kasumi and Nodoka remained composed and optimistic as they tried to organize the cleanup detail, though Kasumi’s smile had faltered and Nodoka was shaking her head, almost trying to will away the disaster like a bad dream. Every once in a while she would send a scornful glance towards her fool of a husband, who had quickly become quite meek and helpful in response. They just had to push for the union as soon as they could, not even giving my son a chance to recover, she thought to herself. Perhaps they are still not ready…

Upstairs, separated from the chaos below, Akane sat in her room, leaning on her desk as she gazed out the window at the cloudless sky. She had stripped off her wedding dress and changed into her pajamas, leaving the dress on the far side of her room. At first she had wanted to throw it at the wall in a crumpled heap, but in the end had patiently folded it and set it aside. She drummed her fingers absently, resting her chin on one hand as she waited for the stars to come out.

Akane wanted to feel angry… in fact, she had been angry the moment things really began falling apart and the party was attacked. She wanted to keep feeling that anger, she wanted to scream at the top of her lungs and punch holes in the wall. She wanted to be furious at all the people that had wrecked the ceremony, especially one or two that she felt she was on relatively good terms with.

But she wasn’t. Instead, she felt tired… and sad. She let out a long sigh as she blinked away the beginning of a tear.

“Why did it have to be this way?” she said to herself. “I can’t believe they’d go so far as to… and he never even answered my question, either.” She shook her head, glancing back at her folded dress. “Oh, Ranma… I know what I heard. I felt it; why couldn’t you just say it to my face? Why did you have to dance around it the way you did, just like all the other times?” She shifted her position at her desk, gazing at the framed photo on one side. Everyone was in it- or at least, everyone who pursued either one of them for whatever reason. Her expression darkened slightly. “You didn’t even stand next to me when they took that shot,” she growled. “Maybe you never cared about me in the first place…”

The moment she said those words, she blinked in surprise at herself. Akane glanced at the photo again, suddenly remembering when they lined up for the camera; Shampoo had glomped his arm instantly, and now that she thought of it she remembered seeing a look of disgust passing Ranma’s eyes. She remembered a lot of other people rushing into the shot at once, and as she thought it over it dawned on her that they hadn’t had any chance to stand next to each other before the shutter snapped. It wasn’t intentional, just a matter of bad timing.

“That’s right… and I wasn’t sure if you really wanted me standing next to you, either,” she said softly. Her gaze wandered back to the window; a few stars were beginning to make their appearances. Downstairs, she could just make out an argument breaking out between Nabiki and Kasumi, something about inviting the wrong people at the wrong time. “You can say that again,” Akane groaned, resting her head on the desk. “Too many of the wrong people.” Another long sigh.

“Still… I just wish I knew for sure what you wanted. I needed to know. I can‘t blame the entire day on you- as much as I want to- I just don‘t understand why you acted that way.” She pushed away from the desk, padding across to her bed and sitting down heavily.

“Ranma no baka… what do you really want?”

--------------------

A while later, a thoroughly downcast Ranma trudged up the stairs, dragging his charred jacket off and tossing it into his room. Dammit all to hell and back, he thought. It never fails… just when things actually seem to be workin’ out for a change, something comes along and screws it all up. He heaved a sigh and glanced towards Akane’s door; it was shut tight and the lights under the doorjamb were turned off. Damn, damn, damn… I think I really blew it this time. I just had to go and stick my foot in my mouth, AGAIN. Why the hell didn’t I just tell her? And for that matter, why didn’t she answer me when I asked her if she was sure ‘bout this? A wave of guilt washed over him as he leaned against the wall.

Maybe she really does hate me. Maybe she really was forcing herself into this because of our parents’ stupid arrangement… He screwed his eyes shut, holding back a tear that was threatening to escape. Maybe… maybe it really is hopeless… she’d never feel the same about a freak like me… dammit, don’t cry, guys aren’t supposed to cry…

A sigh escaped his throat as he glanced at her door again. He blinked, still trying to force a tear away and not succeeding very well. Downstairs, the cleanup sounds continued; he had tried to help out earlier but had been going through the motions like a mindless robot, prompting Kasumi to gently shoo him upstairs. He stood in the hallway a few moments more, then shook his head. I’ve got to say something. I shouldn’t wake her up, she’d clobber me in an instant… but maybe this way I can say it without my brain locking up. Even if she doesn’t hear it. He took a few steps and leaned against her door, sliding down it until he was sitting cross-legged on the floor.

“Akane…” he began in a soft tone, his cracking voice betraying him. “Um… I know you’re asleep and you can’t really hear me right now; I didn’t want to wake you after everything that went down earlier. I… I know you’re real upset an’ all, and I know I really should be saying this to your face, but…” He sighed, leaning his head against the door. “Fact is, I’d probably wind up screwing it up like I always do, and given what just happened I’m sure you don’t want to see me right now. I don’t blame you, either. I didn’t want this day to turn out the way it did, and I know a lot of it is my fault somehow or another.

“I… I’m really sorry about this whole mess. Not just today’s mess, either; I guess I’m nothing more than a walking disaster magnet.” His voice cracked a bit more as he slammed his eyes shut. “I never meant to get you dragged into any of the messes in my life, messes which by all rights I shouldn’t have been in to begin with. Though… I can’t blame my old man for all of them, either… it’d be easier, but… but… oh gods, I really feel like a moron…

“I… I never really meant to hurt you with anything I said or did, Akane… I never had many friends my own age growing up, I just don’t know how ta talk to people that well… every time I try to tell ya something serious, I just wind up garbling it or saying something I don’t mean… which would usually lead to you gettin’ upset and we’d get in a fight… and then I’d get ticked at something you said and I’d shout back something else I didn’t mean… you get the idea. It just spiraled out of control, an’ every time I tossed out one of those insults… at first I thought I was just teasing, but recently…” He swallowed hard. “I started feelin’ like I was killing myself every time I made a joke about you. I couldn’t stand seeing you get angry or upset… especially not when I was the one to blame… gods, you’re right, I really am a thoughtless jerk. A jerk who never gave you the respect ya deserve…

“I know it doesn’t really mean much if you can’t hear me, but I have to tell you… I… I can’t keep pushing my feelings aside because of embarrassment or my damned ego anymore. Y-you… y-you’re the most important person in my life, Akane, and I ain’t saying this because of our folks’ agreement or because of someone else’s say-so. I know I’m not much more than a thick-skulled freak of nature, and even if you did hear me you probably wouldn’t believe what I’m telling you, but… I… I love you. I love your laugh, your smile… the kindness you show others when they’re down, the little helping hands you’ve given me when I needed them the most… your dedication to the Art, your never-say-die attitude…”

Ranma dipped his head forward, choking slightly as he let the tears flow freely. Guys don’t cry my ass, I don’t care anymore. “I told you a long time ago that you’re really cute when you smile. I meant it then, and I mean it now. I never really thought you were uncute… hell, cute doesn’t even do you justice… but whenever I’d say something stupid, you’d hide that side of you away behind your anger. I hate to see you angry or sad… especially when it’s my fault to begin with. There were a few times I got scared I’d never see you smile at me again… maybe I didn’t say anything at the time, but it ripped me up inside. And now I’ve gone and done it again with the mess today.” He paused, letting out a year of a sigh. A dull ache was throbbing behind his eyes, but he ignored it. I’m not gonna screw this up, even if she can’t hear me.

“I wanted to tell you this before… I tried to tell you before, but every time something just locks up in my throat and I screw it up. So… even if I can’t say it… I still try ta prove it. Gods, I almost lost you for good on that mountain…” He sniffed, wiping his face with the back of his sleeve. “I just want ya to be safe, Akane… but I want ya to be happy, too. You shouldn’t have to be f-forced into a union with a cursed f-freak like me; you deserve better than that. You deserve a choice… and if that choice doesn’t include me, I’ll understand. I’ll do whatever I can if it makes you happy… if you w-wanted, I’ll even g-go away so you could have a n-normal life for a change…”

A moment passed by before he shook his head and struggled to his feet. “I’m sorry for everything, Akane. The fights, the other fiancées which I never even wanted in the first place, the pain… so much pain…” He rested his forehead lightly next to the duck nameplate, eyes closed. “I just hope you don’t hate me for what I’ve done… or for who I am,” he whispered. “I’d do anything for you… I just hope it’s not too late for me. Even if you haven’t heard anything I’ve said tonight…” Ranma blinked again and slowly turned from her door, the throb behind his eyes beginning to fade.

He was almost at his own door when he stopped. A muffled sound wafted through the air behind him… a sound akin to a light sob. His eyes went wide. Was that… He stiffened as the sound of a door opening behind him struck his ears.

“Ranma… don’t go.”

The tone in her voice nearly made his heart break as he turned around. Oh gods, I hope she isn’t even more upset with me… He raised his eyes and saw Akane standing in her doorway; she was gazing at him with moist eyes and her lower lip trembled slightly.

“I… I thought you were asleep,” he said in a halting voice.

She shook her head. “I just had the lights turned off. I was thinking…” Her voice cracked slightly and she glanced away, a light flush on her cheeks. “I h-heard what you were saying… everything.” An errant tear rolled down her face as she looked up again.

The dull throb began to rise behind Ranma’s eyes again; something inside him was telling him to low-key it, play it cool. No. I am not going to hide behind my damned ego or pride again. I can do this. I am not going to lie to her anymore!!! The throb pulsed a few seconds more, then slowly faded. He gazed into her eyes calmly.

“I meant every word of it, Akane. I can’t lie to ya…”

Another tear escaped her eyes as she took in the sight of his own, and two seconds later she had closed the distance between the two of them. She wrapped her arms around his waist, burying her face in his chest as the wall she had built around her heart for so long crumbled and fell. “I’m so sorry, Ranma,” she whimpered. “I had no idea… I was so afraid you didn’t care, that you only stayed here because of that stupid arrangement… and I’ve said so many rotten things about you… gods, I feel t-terrible now. P-please… forgive me,” she sobbed into his chest.

“Akane, there’s nothing to forgive,” he answered as he pulled her closer, one arm around her shoulder and the other gently stroking her hair. “I was the one who started messing things up; I deserved it.”

“No, you didn’t,” she said, shaking her head vigorously. “You’ve done so much for me… you stopped the assaults at the school gates, you gave me my memory back… you saved my life just a short while ago… and all I’ve ever done is hit you or shout at you in return. M-maybe you have said a few s-stupid things in the past, but so have I… I should’ve listened to you…” She drew in a long breath, shuddering as she expelled it. “If I’d only paid attention instead of letting my temper take over, things would’ve been different… I would’ve seen it so much sooner.”

“I’m sorry about all those stupid jokes I made; I never meant any of them.”

“I’m sorry I never gave you a chance to explain things before belting you…”

A moment passed by where the two of them did nothing but cradle each other in their arms, rocking slowly back and forth. Akane stopped shaking and gradually her own tears subsided. Loosing one arm from around Ranma’s waist, she reached up slowly and rested her palm against his cheek, looking up at him.

“I shouldn’t have told you I was forcing myself to go through with the ceremony earlier… I just got frustrated and blurted something out without thinking. I wanted to make sure you really wanted this.”

Ranma blinked. “That’s what I wanted to know… if you wanted this. I don’t want you ta be forced into something like marriage if you don’t really want it.” He sighed. “I- I didn’t want you to do this out of honor, or out of pity because of my stupid curse…”

Akane scrunched her eyes shut again, pressing into his chest so hard he thought she was going to crush him. “You baka… I don’t care about your curse, I care about the person inside,” she whispered. “I know you aren’t really a pervert, and I’m sorry for all the times I’ve called you that, or any other name. Just my stupid temper and jealousy acting up again…” Another shudder ran through her body and she took another deep breath. “When you were talking earlier, you said you’d do anything if it would make me happy,” she said in a choking voice. “I just want you to do one thing…”

“Anything,” said Ranma in a shaky voice.

Akane gulped, and looked up once more. “Stay with me. Don’t leave… I don’t ever want you to leave…” She looked directly into his eyes as fresh tears fell, her voice thick and halting. “I love you…”

A slow smile crept onto Ranma’s stunned face. “You… you really mean that?”

Akane nodded. “With all my heart.” She pulled close to him again as he drew her into a gentle hug, resting his head against hers. Tears were falling from both their eyes now… no longer tears of sorrow, but joy. Their breathing slowed, becoming more relaxed- almost synchronized as they clung to each other in the hallway, oblivious to everything else around them.

--------------------

Neither one was aware of the two sets of ears that lurked just out of sight in the stairwell beyond. The elder Tendo sisters turned to each other, smiling as they made their way back downstairs as quietly as humanly possible.

“I knew those two were going to admit it at one point or another,” Nabiki whispered with a big grin on her face. Surprisingly, the sound of cash registers was not ringing in her mind this time. This may be prime profit gossip, but I’ll be damned if I take advantage of this situation again. I made a big enough mistake inviting some of those morons to the service today; no sense aggravating things even further. She mentally kicked herself for the 13th time that evening. You’d think people would put aside those old grudges once the ceremony was set in motion; guess some of them are just too damn stubborn for their own good.

“Let’s hope it stays that way for a while this time,” Kasumi replied, a serious look upon her normally pleasant face. “After all they’ve been through, they could use a break from things, especially with what happened today. And they really are a good match for each other.”

“Yeah, I know. I just hope dad and Mr. Saotome don’t try and blindside ‘em again for a while.”

The two nodded and laughed as they rejoined the others downstairs. Soun was still blubbering over some of the damages while Nodoka kept an eye on a very nervous Genma. Happosai was nowhere to be seen, either drunk out of his gourd or off on a panty raid, or both.

Nobody noticed the shadow of a very short old woman, perched on the roof at the top of a wooden staff. She closed her eyes and sighed heavily, shaking her head. It is as I feared. I suspected it for a long time, but this truly is the final straw. My great-granddaughter may have finally stepped over the line this time; I told her and TOLD her to be cautious in her methods, not ignite a full-blown war under this very roof… I must think on this longer. The law is one thing, but matters of the heart are far different. I fear that young man may now be well and truly lost to us. And if that is so, I must find a means to preserve honor… She shook herself out of her reverie and leapt off the roof, making her way through the dimly lit streets toward the Neko Hanten.

--------------------

At the very edge of Nerima, a lone figure tramped his way through the streets. He carried a duffel bag and a long, narrow item on his back, wrapped in a sheath of white silk; the silk contrasted well with the dark brown of his leather jacket. His jeans bore considerable mud stains, as did his camo-patterned T-shirt. His feet faltered every step or so and he looked like he was in dire need of a bed.

A nearby bench stood out in the light of a streetlamp, and Shingen plodded tiredly towards it. Collapsing onto the bench with a groan, he put a hand to his forehead and rubbed the bridge of his nose gently.

Damn, this is taking a lot longer than I thought, he grumbled to himself. I thought for sure I would’ve shaken it off by now, but I must’ve gotten hit with more backlash than I thought I did. He blinked a few times, then leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. He glanced over at a nearby tree, shifting his perception ever so slightly before wincing and holding his eyes in pain. Father was right, I can’t even look at a plant’s aura without getting a headache, he berated himself. Well, at least I’m actually here; too much wasted time and things could get even worse. Just got to hope my senses return to normal soon. He gritted his teeth, absentmindedly punching the armrest as he did so.

“I can feel it already,” he muttered. “There’s definitely a chaos stream in effect, but until I can actually read auras again I can’t nail the source down.” He reached up and loosened the black bandanna on his head. “Whatever it is, there’s definitely an occult presence here. Maybe even stronger than what I had to fight when I closed the rift in China.” A shudder passed through him.

I just need some sort of lead. I can’t tell if this is the work of an oni, a shapeshifter or something stronger yet. Possibly more than one…

Maybe things will be better in the sunlight. I better find a place to get some sack time.

He hefted the duffel bag and started walking again.

To Be Continued…

--------------------

A/N: Hopefully this chapter shows a little more of the developing plot. It will be a little slow at first, I admit that, but there’s much to be done. Our favorite duo are in for a hell of a ride in upcoming chapters now that they’ve come clean… and only time will tell how Shingen fits into the picture. I refuse to say more; that would give the plot away. Not sure when the next update will be; it depends on my schedule and how well my imagination stays on track. -Neon RoninConverting /tmp/phpYp5X5y to /dev/stdout