Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma 1/2: The Truth and the Tempest ❯ A Day of Rest ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
[Author’s note: The characters and setting herein- with the exception of one or two O.C.’s of my own design- are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. There, the disclaimer’s out of the way, so on with the show. Be forewarned, there’s some WAFFyness in this chapter.]

Ranma ½: The Truth and the Tempest

Chapter 14: A Day of Rest

--------------------



Ryoga’s eyes snapped open as a cry of horror escaped his throat. He sat up violently and instantly regretted it, falling backwards again- and regretted that, too, as his head connected with a rock that had served as his pillow. He groaned, holding a hand to his forehead as cold sweat rolled down his temples. Out of the corner of his eye, he could just make out a stray shaft of sunlight creeping through the trees.

“Six times now…” he muttered. “Five straight days… ever since just before their wedding…” He cringed inwardly, thinking back to his garbled thoughts on Monday, thoughts which had mirrored his attitude from half a year ago so vividly. Some of his more specific thoughts at the time were coming back to him, making him even more confused. “Doing them a favor by breaking up the ceremony? Where the hell did THAT come from, I wasn’t even planning on being there in the first place… but one wrong turn and there I was… and that cask of Nannichuan… everything going to pieces…” He shook his head and sat up again, slower this time. “Agh, feels like I got a woodpecker biting my brain or something…”

Ryoga breathed deeply. His mind was burning up, overloaded with images from yet another one of his nightmares. All around him had been fire, screams of terror, and laughter… low, rapacious laughter. Visions of Ranma turning weak and helpless before his very eyes, his face becoming an emotionless mask… one that matched the look he had worn on Phoenix Mountain when he saw Saffron transform Akane into a doll. Then more visions, visions of Ranma being crushed by a mighty figure… the monstrous boar-headed-Ryoga that proceeded to lash out and seize up the forms of other screaming people… Ranma’s parents, Soun Tendo, a weeping Akane… and finally even Akari… He had heard the voice over and over again, take it all, it is yours, take what you want and be truly happy! There is no harm in having that which should be yours by right! The voice would continue on and on, becoming ever more mocking in its tone, until the lost boy eventually woke up screaming- as he had just done for the sixth time.

Ryoga shuddered, cupping his face in his hands as he began to cry. “This must be my punishment,” he whispered. “Can’t even think straight anymore… and thanks to that, I wound up pushing some weirdo with an exorcist fetish into trying to kill Ranma for me; gods, I never really wanted him dead!”

Yes you did… you called for him to prepare to die, and it was enjoyable to say, wasn’t it?

“Huh? What? NO! I just wanted to settle the score… didn’t wanna be weaker that him… sure, in raw power I may have got him beat, but if that’s the case then why does he always walk all over me?” He clutched his head and squeezed his eyes shut. “Even found a way to counter my Shishi Hokodan… it’s like he’s some kind of machine, that there’s nobody he can’t defeat! I… I just wanted a chance to reach that level myself… then maybe someone would respect me… stay with me…

The way your parents never did.

Tears began to flow faster, and a sickly green aura oozed from his body. “They were never there… but then again, I was never there, none of us were ever together… and the one kid that might’ve been my friend didn’t even give me the time of day, all he did was use me as a stepping stool at the lunchroom! Dammit all, Ranma, why did YOU have to get all the attention and leave nothing left for ME???”

He covered his face in his hands again. “Now I’ve done it… I went too far and he nearly got ripped up because of something I said. And then… Akane… oh gods, I guess I knew all along you two were meant for each other, and just kept sticking my big nose in anyway. Because… because you were the first one to show me any real kindness…”

Yes, so why not take her and make her yours by force, that’ll put you one beyond your rival…

“DAMMIT!” he gasped, smacking himself in the forehead. “No, I can’t keep thinking like that! I won’t hurt her the way… the way I’ve already hurt her… and then hurt Akari…” He collapsed into a sobbing heap, remembering the look on Akane’s face as the truth about her pet P-chan was shoved violently in front of her. Then her quick retribution, her flaring battle aura causing her to look like a divine angel of vengeance before knocking him across the sky and into unconsciousness. Then… waking up at the Unryuu estate in Akari’s caring presence, and the sudden overwhelming guilt at everything he had done washing over him. The realization that some of what he had felt for Akane had become a sick infatuation that put him at Kuno’s level, and the thought alone had made him nauseous. Then the confession… he had to tell Akari what he had done. This wasn’t something he could lie about again, not to her.

Ryoga shuddered again, remembering how he had yanked himself into a sitting position despite his contusions and multiple mallet bruises and started to confess everything to her. How Ranma had discovered his curse, the vow not to reveal it, Akane’s sudden fondness for an apparently helpless black pig… “Everything,” he moaned. “I told you everything, Akari… I couldn’t tell Akane out of fear that she’d throw me away like everyone else. But now…” He shivered. “What must you think of me now? I went and used a promise between men against him… against her… I have no honor left, how can you love someone like that?”

He hadn’t bothered to look at her face once, but had squeezed his eyes shut and bowed his head the whole time he was confessing to her. She hadn’t said a single word; the only sign she was there was her hand on his shoulder.

And the moment you finished telling her, you turned tail and ran when you could have taken her in a moment of tenderness!!!

“NO!!!” Ryoga screamed, slamming his hands to the ground and staggering up, glancing around at the slowly brightening woodland clearing he was camped out in. “No… I couldn’t have… didn’t need to look at her, I knew she’d be hurt… lovely gift to give her, letting her know I’m a big fat lying pig… and here I’ve gone and danced around with her feelings when I wasn’t even sure of my own…” He began to pace- or rather, stagger- back and forth, holding his head in his hands. Occasional bursts of ‘this is all Ranma’s fault’ or ‘I wouldn’t have been in this position if it weren’t for that bastard Shingen’ shot out randomly, shortly accompanied by ‘what kind of a man am I’ or in some cases, ‘I don’t deserve her…’ The shuddering green aura was throbbing about him, pulsing in time with his own sobs and groans. Sooner or later, something was going to give. Something did give… but not with a shout. With a whisper.

“Shishi Hokodan…”

Dawn became high noon as green light scorched the leaf canopy above the clearing, ripping a gaping hole through surrounding tree limbs and tearing across the morning sky. It wasn’t a Perfect Shishi Hokodan, but it was more than sufficient to widen the clearing to three times its previous size, throwing rocks and broken tree limbs about and prompting dozens of birds to promptly relocate and find a safer forest.

Ryoga’s arms fell limp at his side as he dropped to his knees, eventually collapsing onto his face. “I’m nothing…” he whispered before falling into a dreamless sleep.

Silence returned to the clearing.

The sun rose higher in the sky.

The sound of something moving through the trees at a rapid pace began to echo through the clearing, growing louder by the second. Ryoga paid it no mind; it didn’t elicit so much as a wince or a shudder from the prone boy. A few crashes reverberated through the forest, growing louder until the unmistakable silhouette of a large sumo pig burst its way into the clearing. It sniffed the air, making a beeline for Ryoga’s body, pausing only to let its smaller rider jump down and run up beside him.

“Ryoga?” Akari knelt by his head, rolling him over and pulling him partway onto her lap. Her fingers gently brushed across his tear-stained cheeks. “Why did you have to run away like that? You didn’t even give me a chance to say anything; Katsunishiki and I have been looking all over for you!” She sighed, a tear of her own welling at the corner of her eye. “You shouldn’t have been moving in the first place, not the way you were injured. You didn’t have to run…”

She blinked a few times, then placed a hand on his forehead. “Oh, sweetie, you’re burning up. Let’s get you back home and get you something for that.” She propped Ryoga’s limp body up as well as he could, and with a little effort- and help from Katsunishiki- she soon had him lying across the sumo pig’s back. It would have been easier in his cursed body, of course, but the thought didn’t cross her mind. Akari climbed up as well, silently thanking the Kami that her hunch about the green ki blast had proved to be right. This isn’t something you needed to run from, Ryoga, she thought as they began the trek back to the estate. Did you think I was just going to turn my back when it’s so obvious you’re in a lot of pain? We have to talk about this, and I won’t let you leave me before we do… She looked down at his face and allowed herself a weak smile. It took a lot of courage for you to tell me what you did…

--------------------



A little later that same morning found Akane in something of a mixed mood. Her initial feeling was one of aggravation, directed primarily at the irregular bruising on her forearms and below her ribcage. She winced as she sat up in bed and prodded her flesh experimentally, wondering at the same time how she had walked away from the succubus’ ki blast without more serious injury. That thought gave way to happier emotions… she and Ranma had pulled through the ordeal in one piece, like they had so many others before. She prayed this meant he’d be able to relax a bit, and not have to worry about something else telling him what to do. She was also a little concerned about the apparent side effect of the Spirit Purge, wondering if it meant part of the demon was still left inside of Ranma; this was soon shaken off when she remembered what Shingen had said about the negative energy’s complete disappearance from his aura. There was also worry about what else they would have to face from the others, likely sooner rather than later. And finally, hope.

Stifling a yawn, she pushed herself out of bed, noting it was a lot later than her normal wake-up time. Glancing at her clock, she found a note taped to the Snooze button- “Have a nice day off, sis; don’t slack off too much! -N.”

Akane chuckled. “Thanks, Nabiki,” she said as she put on her slippers and stood up. “Ouch,” she gasped, putting a hand to her stomach. “Hmm… guess I should be glad that girl only bruised me. Still hurts like no tomorrow, though…” She sighed, trying to ride out the twinges she was feeling as she padded to her door and stepped outside. Maybe a few katas will help loosen me up…

“Oh, Akane! Are you feeling any better?”

Akane glanced up; Kasumi was standing right next to her. “Morning, Kasumi,” she replied with a smile. “Yeah, I’m alright. Nothing big, just some bruises and stuff; I’ve had worse.”

“Are you sure about that? You and Ranma did both go through an awful lot last night. You are going to take Dr. Tofu’s advice and rest today, aren’t you?”

“Well… it’s not like I can just stay in bed all day, sis, I have to get up at some point…”

“I know that, Akane, but I also know there have been some times when you’ve said you felt okay and then went and hurt yourself, and I’m just trying to make sure you don’t do that today.” Kasumi’s voice took on a stern tone she seldom, if ever, used. “You weren’t thinking about going to the training hall and practicing, were you?”

Akane’s eyes widened, followed by her looking to one side awkwardly. “Um… well… just a kata or two so I don’t get stiff…”

Kasumi sighed. “Not until you’ve had a chance to rest up; Tofu gave you that pass so you could be sure you were both well, not to go break bricks and possibly aggravate your injuries in the process. I’m sorry, Akane, but no exercise until at least later this afternoon… and nothing rough, either.” She paused, then smiled again. “I know how stubborn you can get about your training, Akane, but you really should look out for yourself as well. I’m just thinking about your well-being, imotochan.” Come to think of it, you and Ranma are quite alike in that regard. I just hope you see it before you wind up hurting yourselves…

Akane nodded slowly; obviously trying to argue with Kasumi would be just as daunting, if not more so, than trying to argue with Nodoka. Especially when it came to family and their best interests. “Okay, Kasumi… I’ll get some rest first.” She was promptly interrupted by her stomach growling, and she flushed. “After I find myself something to eat,” she added with a weak giggle.

“Actually, I figured you and Ranma wouldn’t be up till now, so I saved you both a late breakfast,” said Kasumi. “I was just about to see if you were both awake when you came out.”

“Thanks, Kasumi.” She paused. “Um… actually, if it’s all the same to you, I’d rather check on him myself and see if he’s up… uh… since I’m up anyway.”

Kasumi blinked, then smiled warmly and nodded. “I think that’d be very nice, Akane. I’ll just go and make sure Mr. Saotome’s alright; I think he was passed out all night in the tearoom,” she said, adding a disapproving look towards the end. Akane nodded and headed toward Ranma’s door as Kasumi turned and made her way downstairs.

Not too long ago, you wouldn’t usually offer to check on Ranma without a gripe or two. I’m really proud of you, Akane… it looks like you’re both finally growing up. And I’m so happy that you’re smiling more these days, too. Kasumi hummed lightly to herself. Further downstairs, the moan of a hungover elder Saotome wafted through the halls.

--------------------



Ranma was still asleep as Akane opened the door and slipped into his room. He lay flat on his back, perfectly still, covered up to his elbows by a rumpled sheet. His face was relaxed, with a faint smile on his lips, and for a moment Akane just stood and looked at him as he slept. It was something she’d seldom done- at least as far as anyone else knew. She’d thought about it more than a few times, but never admitted it to anybody. He looks so peaceful, she thought to herself as she moved a little closer. His head lolled to one side, and she found herself silently wondering why she had slapped, smacked and beaned him upside the head so often.

Maybe if I hadn’t had such a hair-trigger temper back then, or if you’d had a chance to have a better role model than your dad… but then, you never did follow too many of his examples, did you? She kneeled beside him and reached out, gingerly brushing a lock or two of black hair away from his eyes. That thing inside you wasn’t much help, either. Gods only know what that curse did to you… or could have done… She became vaguely aware of a lone tear forming in her eye and brushed it away.

I’m really sorry about all the times I lashed out in anger, Ranma… and I know we already forgave each other Sunday night, but I promise I’ll try to get better. You already did so much for me, it’s past time I did something for you… and I mean something good, not like my stupid attempts to cook something… Her thought train was interrupted by a slight murmur from the sleeping martial artist beside her. She smiled slightly. I wonder what you’re dreaming of, Ranma.

His lips parted slightly. “Mmm… A… Akane…”

Akane’s eyes widened and a blush crossed her cheeks. He’s dreaming about me?

“So… beautiful… so strong… always have been… my fav’rite tomboy…” She had to stifle a giggle when he said that, then looked up again as a different sound emerged. A low, anxious moan.

“Uh… wait… where’d ya go… you were right here…” His head lolled to the other side of the pillow, and Akane’s smile faded as she saw his hands ball into fists.

“Don’t go… was it… was it somethin’ I did… somethin’ I said…” His breathing started to speed up.

“Please… I need ya… don’t leave… oh gods, no… not again… not… Jusendo… not him… don’t take her away…”

“It’s okay, Ranma…” Akane whispered, pulling up a corner of the sheets and slipping in next to him, her hand brushing against his arm. “Shh… it’s okay… I’m still here… I’m not going anywhere…” She reached up and gently rested her palm on his chest, not sure of what she was doing but hoping that it would calm him down. “You didn’t say anything wrong, and nobody’s taking me away from you again,” she said almost inaudibly. Gradually, Ranma’s breathing slowed, his face and hands relaxed once more. His eyelids fluttered once, then opened slightly.

“Uh… wha…” he muttered, blinking several times before he noticed the head of blue-black hair resting by his left shoulder, with an accompanying hand on his chest. His eyes widened. “Akane? Um… uh… er, not that I mind or nothing‘ but what are ya doin‘ here?”

She blushed. “Well… I just woke up and thought I’d see if you were awake yet… and if you felt any better after last night.” She sat up slightly. “You… um… I heard you talking in your sleep, and it sounded like you were having a bad dream.”

Ranma blinked, then nodded slowly. “Um… yeah, I guess I was…” He looked to one side. “Thought I would’ve outgrown nightmares by now… least now that I don‘t have somethin’ living inside my head.”

“Well, we all have bad dreams once in a while, Ranma,” said Akane as she settled in a little closer. “I’ve had some real doozies myself; one time I woke up punching my pillow because I thought it was Happosai trying to grope me.”

Ranma let out a long sigh. “At least that kinda bad dream doesn’t end with losin’ someone for good…”

Akane nodded, a sad look on her face. Saffron again. I don‘t know if you’ll ever forget that… I wish you could. “You didn’t lose me, though.”

“I almost did…”

“But you didn’t,” she said, in a firm yet gentle voice, giving him a light squeeze. For a moment, the two of them just looked at each other.

“Have you… had dreams about that before?”

Ranma nodded. “Once, on the way back from China.”

“I wish you’d told me…”

“I wanted to… but I was still kinda in shock about the whole thing, and I didn’t know how you’d react… and I… I guess I was just… well…”

“Afraid?” Akane offered. Ranma let out a long breath.

“Yeah… big shocker, the guy who ain’t afraid of nuthin’ can’t deal with c-c-cats… or makin’ people cry… or tellin’ his own fiancee the truth, that... he's... well... he‘s terrified of losing her.”

Akane smiled warmly. “Well, I do know one thing… you won’t lose me.” She turned so she was facing him fully, lying on her side. “Truth is, you’re not alone in your fears.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t want to lose you, either… to anything. To some other girl, or a lunatic rival like Kuno, or a demon… and I especially don’t want to lose you because of something I did.” She reached up and stroked his cheek, tracing his jaw line with her finger. “Why did I have to hit you so many times, you handsome baka?” she said with a playful smirk.

“Well… I’m sure a few of them did have valid reasons, you kawaii tomboy,” he replied in an equal tone as he brushed the hair by her temples.

“You sure you don’t mean ‘kawaiikune’, Ranma?” she asked with a giggle.

“Akane, if anyone ever calls you kawaiikune again, including me, go ahead and knock their lights out.”

“Thanks… but I’d really rather not include you in that formula, not now,” she said softly, leaning her face closer to his. “I’d prefer something a little gentler with you...”

Ranma smiled, leaning in as well. “Me too… something we can both enjoy… that we both want…”

“That we both need…” Akane’s words were a whisper as her lips pressed to Ranma’s. She felt his arms wrap around her, holding her to him but not pressing; there wasn’t the slightest twinge from her bruises, but a pleasant tingling as his hands gently stroked and caressed her back. Her hand brushed the back of his neck, just below his pigtail. Ranma shuddered at the sensation, then brought his left hand up to the back of her neck, supporting her and returning the caress. Akane sighed happily into their kiss, parting her lips and hesitantly fluttering her tongue against his mouth; her actions were quickly rewarded as his own lips parted to grant her admission. Soft moans of contentment escaped them both as their kissing grew deeper and more passionate; memories of their first kiss in the dojo returned to them and time seemed to stand still. His hands traced gentle circular patterns on her neck and the small of her back; she ran her fingers through his hair and along part of his upper chest, never once breaking contact with his mouth. A warm, soothing wave of energy began to wash over the pair, raising their sensations even higher and seeming to ignite a fire in their hearts.

That’s when the sound of a throat being cleared in the doorway hit both their ears.

“Well… I was planning to check on you two and see if there were any lingering effects from yesterday, but I can see from here you’re doing just fine.” Their eyes snapped open and they broke the kiss, looking up. Shingen was leaning in the doorway in a camo t-shirt and jeans, arms folded and a bemused smile on his face.

Ranma groaned. “Geez, man! Doesn’t anybody in this town know how to friggin’ knock?”

“Don’t look at me, someone else left the door open.”

Akane turned bright red as a sweatdrop ran down the back of her head. “Oops… guess I forgot.” The two of them disengaged their embrace and sat up, awkwardness written all over their faces. “It’s not like I was planning on turning things into a show,” she added, a little hotly.

“I’m just glad it wasn’t Nabiki; she’d be selling tickets,” Ranma groused.

“Yeah, or our fathers; they’d have us in front of the priest in seconds.”

“As I was saying,” Shingen interjected, “I just wanted to make sure your recovery was going well, I wasn’t trying to intrude. If you could hold still for just a moment.” He stepped closer and shifted his perception slightly. “Hmm… yes, so far it looks like you’re faring well. How do you feel?”

Ranma stretched his arms out and yawned. “Still a little tired… but other than that, I feel great.”

“Actually… me too,” said Akane as she got to her feet and shook out her arms. “A lot better than when I woke up, actually.” She blinked, looking at her forearms and running a finger along the underside of one. “That’s odd.”

“Huh? What’s up ‘kane?” Ranma asked as he slowly stood up.

“I think my bruises are gone.”

“Really?” He peered at her left arm; the purplish marks had faded considerably from what they had been the previous night. “You’re right, that is odd.”

“Maybe they weren’t as bad as I thought they were.”

Ranma smirked. “Or maybe it was the kiss that did it,” he quipped, scratching the back of his head.

“Yeah, right,” Akane giggled, giving him a light swat. “That’s all your ego needs right now.”

“In any case,” Shingen continued, “there don’t appear to be any remaining negative anomalies. That’s what was the important thing.” He turned to Ranma. “A little more rest, and maybe some of Kasumi’s miso soup should have you back to normal in no time. You better hurry; what she saved for you might not last long.” A pair of stomach growls answered him, prompting them all to laugh.

“I dunno what you’d call ‘back to normal’, but right now food sounds real good,” said Ranma.

“Food sounds good to you anytime, baka.”

“Tomboy.”

“Um… you two, ‘breakfast’ is getting cold,” Shingen said with a smirk.

Akane nodded. “C’mon, Ranma, let’s go before your dad wakes up and steals it.” Ranma nodded, and the two of them exited the room with only one or two stumbles as Ranma’s knees got a crash refresher in how to stand. As they reached the top of the stairs, Akane stopped him and gave him another hug.

“I think I like that ‘good morning kiss’ just as much as your good-night kiss,” she whispered. Maybe even more… gods, that felt so wonderful!

Ranma smiled and gave her cheek a tender caress. “Hey… y’know I’m crazy ‘bout you, right?”

Akane nodded. “I thought you were just plain crazy,” she snickered before leaning up and giving him a quick peck on the lips. “But I love you anyway. Now let’s eat.”

“Sounds like a plan,” he replied as they descended the stairway. One final thought flashed through his mind as they reached the bottom. Thank you, Akane.

At the top of the stairway, Shingen stood in thought, arms crossed.

You might not be that far off in thinking the kiss did it, my friend. I know what I saw; you two were so caught up in each other you didn’t even notice it. I’ve seen enough aura joinings in my time. You weren’t just touching physically, you were touching on the astral as well, even if you didn’t intend to… and it’s not easy to disguise the nature of what was happening in your ki.

That was Naosu Kousen.

The Healing Light technique I used to seal the wound I inflicted on you.

I knew there had to be more to this than mere coincidence. Father was right, this could be something above and beyond anything we were expecting. But there’s still more I need to figure out… like the shadow I saw in Akane’s aura. It’s not demonic in the least, her ki patterns confirmed that… more like a scar.

Best not to tell them just yet. Maybe once he‘s recovered.

--------------------



“Nabiki Tendo, I must have words with thee! The day is more than halfway done, and thine sister, the fair tigress Akane hath not shown her face once! Dost thou know wherefore she does not appear at class? And for that matter, the other vision of my dreams, the pig-tailed goddess, she too has forsaken these grounds! If you know something, I would have you tell me!”

The lunch break at Furinkan was drawing to a close, and the Tendo sibling in question glanced up from her drink, giving a certain senior a half-lidded glare. “Kuno baby, you really know how to butcher the classics, you know that? And just out of curiosity, have you got a death wish or something? You know if you keep pestering my little sister, she’ll likely do worse than kick you in the bokken again.”

Kuno winced slightly before regaining his composure. “Nay, I know my fair one, and it is not of her own free will that she hath acted as such. Rather, it is that lascivious scoundrel Saotome that corrupts her maidenly virtues! Now I must know why my beloved Akane Tendo and the pig-tailed girl have not been seen! And I swear, if that cretin is responsible, then he shall feel the true divine wrath of the Blue Thunder!!!”

Nabiki sighed, holding out her hand. “5000 yen.”

“WHAT???”

“You know my rules, Kuno. Nothing’s free in this world, least of all from me.” He glared at her silently for a second before producing his wallet and slapping five notes into her waiting palm.

“Now, whither Akane?”

“Out sick, Kuno baby. Stomach bug or something, could be infectious,” she said.

“And the pig-tailed girl?”

She waggled her hand again. “Nothing’s free. Another five thou.”

“Thou shalt be the ruination of me,” he grumbled, forking over five more bills. “Now, tell me!!!”

“Also out sick. Fact is, we may have to quarantine them; might be REAL infectious. No sense worrying about them or visiting till they’re better.”

“What? Why, how can you be so unfeeling?” Kuno exclaimed. “Two visions of loveliness, laid low by illness and unable to attend school or see any friends, and you dare to think they need not be visited? Nay, in a time of weakness they need the tenderness of the one they care the most for! I shall not be denied!”

“Whoa, whoa, don’t get your hakama in a twist there, big guy. You really don’t want to be seeing either of them right now; you’d regret it, I promise you,” said Nabiki, smirking devilishly. I’m sorry, sis, but that was easy money and the lummox really needs some sense beaten into him. Besides, you and Ranma could use a nice human punching bag. The bell signaling the end of lunch sounded.

Kuno failed to notice the smirk. “Ha! I fear no man or disease; if it shall soothe the hearts of my fair ones, I will risk the Plague itself to be at their sides!” He turned and resolutely marched out of the classroom.

And marched right back in again under the watchful eye of Ms. Hinako. “I will not have students leaving school grounds while class is in session; that’s a big sign of delinquency!” the currently child-like teacher scolded.

Kuno grumbled as he sat down at his desk. Once classes are over… be strong, my loves, and I shall be with thee anon!

To Be Continued…

-------------

Author’s Note: Well, looks like I was a bit later than usual- blame Xenosaga 2 for that. Been hooked on that game, so this installment was a tad behind. Hopefully it will not disappoint you.

Now, I’d like to mention something that keeps coming back to bite me on whichever site I post on- Akane and Jusenkyo. Yes, it is true she fell in a vacant spring and nearly drowned, but is still alive and apparently no worse for wear. However, I would like to point out that not only is the springs’ history a very long one and facts can become distorted over time, it is also possible to drown and not die. Drowning simply refers to taking water into the lungs, not necessarily dying from it. In addition, ponder this: the springs require a pattern to operate and bestow the curse. And to get that pattern, an initial victim is immersed in the spring sufficiently long enough for the waters to acquire that pattern. While this may result in the death of said victim, it is also possible that occasionally a victim managed to escape the springs either through luck, skill or some combination thereof. Maybe the octopus simply wandered into a spring and starved to death instead of drowning; the point is, the history of the springs may be incomplete and may exaggerate certain aspects of it.

Another point to consider is Akane’s incredible resiliency. How many times in the manga or anime has she been subjected to various hardships both natural and supernatural, and yet she is still in one piece? If you think about it, something was always getting her out of a jam, whether it was Ranma, or someone else, or even sheer dumb luck. Looking at it that way, while she does encounter misfortune a great deal, she is probably one of the luckiest characters in the entire series because by all rights she should be dead by now.

Whether that luck is simple coincidence, or if it is the by-product of something else, is something you’ll just have to wait and find out. There, I’ve finished my rant. This really wasn’t intended to be a point of controversy; I’m just trying to have fun here, but I do appreciate the need for continuity.

For those curious about the Naosu Kousen, see chapter 5.

Thank you again for your continued support, and please keep those reviews coming. Next chapter- Kuno interrupts a training session and a lost boy returns to Nerima. Until next time.

-Neon Ronin
Converting /tmp/phpFsVvQ4 to /dev/stdout