Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Unfairness Of It All ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: This is dedicated to ChippyLOTTP, without whose brilliant fics I never would have considered writing this couple. Much thanks is sent out to my darling beta panda-tiney, and of course all the readers and reviewers out there.

        The Unfairness of It All

A lone sigh was sailing through the breeze that unusually quiet winter evening. It could be heard drifting from ear to ear as it lightly brushed the rose tinted cheeks of the girl it was intended for, requesting only its equal in return. The beneficiary of this precious gift allowed a small smile to peep over the warm folds of cloth placed around her neck to ward off such advances as these as much as the cold. A quite unsatisfactory purchase, she now saw. With her smile in hand, Akari chanced a glance at the boy, who was currently leaning back against the roof, beside her.

"I love you," she said quietly, trying out the words despite the fact that she had stated them time and time again.

"'know," was the sleepy response.

"Well, I just wanted to I'd remind you, to make sure that you . . ."

Groaning a bit, he sat up and looked at her profile. "That I what?"

"Only that you . . . knew," she trailed off lamely. The two fell silent, something that would normally have seemed wonderful if it were not for the issue weighing Akari's happiness down. She hated having to mention it, especially if it could be avoided, but lately she had been plagued by daydreams of what turns life might take now that everything had changed. "You are sure it's me you want, right? It's just, with the amount of time you spend with Akane, I wonder. And one -does- here rumours flittering around."

"Look, I get the situation we're in here 'kari; it's awful to have to sneak around like this. You have to understand though, I live here. It ain't as if I can just drop everything and run away."

"But Ranma, why not? Why don't we just throw caution out the door, leave a note behind us explaining we've run off together and there's nothing that can be done to stop us? Why?" Akari bit her cheek, trying not to show a tear. This was not the usual face she showed, even when she was with those she loved, but damn it all! She could see the problems they faced all around her, and it wasn't as if she was unreasonable or blind to all those who would be hurt by their bond, but why should she have to sacrifice her happiness simply for people she had barely known for a few months? It was wrong!

"We just can't," he replied, sounding a bit strained. "'Sides, what about Ryoga? He'd probably dig his own grave if you ever left 'im!" Ranma put on a pained smile and jumped to his feet. "I'd better get goin', they'll miss me if I'm gone too long. Tomorrow, same time, all right?" Without waiting for an answer he had scooped her up, transported her safely to the ground, grabbed a quick kiss and disappeared into the night.

A/N: So? I -did- start out trying to make it understandable. I'm ill, so I may just wake up tomorrow morning, read this and scream in horror. Oh well. ^-^