Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Horse Avatar ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Wild Horse Avatar
 
Prologue
 
Somewhere in America, a young boy and an elderly man sat staring into a fire. The boy loved to watch the fire. It was so beautiful and warm, but at the same time the boy realized that it was dangerous and would hurt him if he tried to touch it. The old man watched the fire for a different reason. He was a shaman, one of the last who was truly connected with the planet. He was a seer, and in the fire he saw images of the past, present, and future. He saw what fate had in store for the boy at his side. It would not be an easy life.
 
Suddenly the boy looked at the old man. “Tell me the old story once again. Please Elder” The boy looked at the old man with pleading eyes.
 
The old man looked at the boy, sighed, and looked back into the fire. He took a few puffs of his pipe before opening his mouth to speak. “It all happened long, long ago.” He began.
 
The boy looked at the old man in wonder and amazement as he waited for the elder to continue the story he had heard so many times.
 
“Water, earth, fire, air. Long ago the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar, master of all four elements, could stop them. Aang the airbender rose up as the Avatar and defeated the Fire Nation, but they rose up again. A man who the Avatar thought of as a friend betrayed him. This man killed many people until the Avatar killed him. After this the Avatar went insane, he outlawed all forms of nature bending and he killed anyone who disobeyed.” The old man paused to take a few more puffs from his pipe.
 
“What happened then Elder?” the boy asked with wide eyes shining with excitement.
 
The old man looked down at the boy with a strange sadness in his eyes. He looked back at the fire and started again. “A small band of nature benders escaped and continued practicing their bending. They agreed to separate and teach others how to bend in secret. They swore a sacred oath to keep their bending a secret. And to this day there are benders all over the world who practice their arts in secret. They await the coming of another Avatar. They await an Avatar who will revive the bending arts and reveal them to the outside world. “
 
By this point the boy was nearly trembling with excitement. “When will this Avatar come Elder?”
 
Again the old man looked at the boy with sadness in his eyes. He knew the boy's future. He knew that this boy's childish innocence would soon be replaced with the heavy burden of being the Avatar. “Soon child.” He said, “Very soon.”
 
END PROLOGUE