Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Original Poetry Fan Fiction ❯ Our Strengths in the Shadows ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Running and running was all I had left. I ran not because I was afraid but because I needed to run. I had information that needs to be given to Zuag and Cua. I need to catch up to Zuag and Cua. They had left three days ago leaving me behind to protect the zog Thawj Coj. He was the only who knew how to do the Calling Ritual and so did I. The Calling Ritual needed at least two people to do. However, that can no longer happen. Our zog was destroyed this time…and burnt to the very ground that it stood on.
It was raining hard and the fire from the zog could still be seen from where I was standing. Our zog sat in the valley of two mountains. It was hidden well with only one main way out and in. I got out through the secret passage that Zuag and Cua had created when we were younger. It leads straight to the top of the right mountain to our zog.
“Our zog…gone…”
No matter how hard I tried to surpass the tears, they came forcing their ways into the rainy smoky air. Turning my back to our zog, I ran with all my remaining strength to our secret meeting place. At least with Zuag and Cua nearby we can think of a solution to this outbreak of chaos.
=====
“Are you sure we are going the right way?”
Paaj turned around looking behind her as they ran through the forest. When they had turned the corner, a few miles back, the Ienseh had spotted them and gave chase.
Noog places his hand on his rag. Gripping the handle tightly he turns to Paaj and nodded his head once to the right. Paaj's eyebrow came together looking worried. However, she nodded her head in response to Noog's order.
Paaj did a sharp turn to the left as Noog did a sharp turn to the right. The Ienseh stopped as they survey what the two teenagers were doing. The commander barked out the orders, “Half of you go after the girl. The other half come with me and we follow the boy.”
The group split up as they ran after the two teenagers.
Paaj glanced back and saw the group advancing on her so she looked up and saw a branch up ahead. As she got closer to the branch, she turned around and threw powder dust into the Ienseh who stopped to rub their eyes. Paaj grabbed the branch and climbed up the tree waiting for the Ienseh to come underneath her.
“Where did that Weed-Root go?”
“This way!”
Paaj felt a sweat trailing down her cheeks as she waited. She reached into her shirt and took out a small pouch made of cow stomach. She began to shake it making it began to bubble. When the group came underneath her, she threw it down on them. It burst into flames catching every single one of the Iensehs on fire.
Paaj jumped down and ran. She had to run. She cannot turn back to see if Noog had made it or not. She had to keep going because she had information that needs to be given out before another zog gets under attack by the Iensehs.
===
Hli jumped down from a tree as two Iensehs walked by. She came from behind and slammed her fist into the side of the two. They both fell down dead as she began to search them for weapons. She had used her last weapons fighting yesterday by the bridge. She found two small swords and a chain that may be useful, and a bag of poison. She quickly pocketed the rewards and stood up. She quickly studied her surrounding and then ran west.
No matter how tired she was, she had a job to do. Zuag had told her to go tell the other zog to get ready. She had to tell them. She had to warn them because that is the zog her Grandparents live. She had to at least protect her Grandparents' zog. Therefore, she has to run faster and faster. She has to get there before the Iensehs get there.
===
 
Zoua; Sharp, Comb
Wind
Village
Leader; head leader
Flower
Bird, Listen
Hmong knife
An insult made to the Hmong
Moon