Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Original Poetry Fan Fiction ❯ Our Strengths in the Shadows ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“What are you doing? RUN!”
A fire arrow zoom by Hli's left ear as she ran over to her Grandparents. Her Grandparent's zog was under attack when Hli came. It was the closest zog next to her zog.
“Run Koj Niam!”
Hli's Grandpa pushed Hli's Grandma towards her.
“NO! I will not run without you! We've been together for fifty seven years! If you die I will die with you!”
“POJ!”
Hli tried desperately to hold her Grandma down as her Grandpa took out his rag and turn around back into the zog.
 
“Koj Txiv!”
Hli's tears blurred her vision as she tried to hold her Grandma back.
“Yawm!”
“Let me go Hli! I want to go back to your Yawm!”
“Hli, be a good girl you hear me? I want you to grow up just like your brother and your sister! Fight for our people!”
Hli's Grandpa ran into the zog to fight against the Iensehs.
“KOJ TXIV!”
“Poj, stay still do not move so much,” Hli held on tighter to her Grandma.
“Why is this happening? Why does this have to happen to us?”
Hli's Grandma slowly sank down to the muddy ground. She began to cry knowing the fate of her husband.
The rain that was produced from the fire of the zog came heavier. Screams could be heard from everywhere. There were no stars lighting its way for this zog and like all those other zogs that are gone.
The howling of the wind was lost in the mist of chaos. The light of hope for another day became pitch black. The sound of rain hitting the ground became as loud as thunder. Hli went down to her knees and held her Grandma tightly and whispered reassurance into her ears.
“Let's go Poj. Yawm did not let his life go for nothing. He wanted you to live on for him and see the new world. You must respect Yawm's actions. Please, let's go before the Iensehs sees us.”
Hli's Grandma stood up with Hli's help. They made their way slowly at first, but Hli was afraid the Iensehs would catch up. Therefore, she picked up her Grandmother and piggy-back her to a safer distance.
As Hli half-ran and half-walked she could feel her Grandma crying softly to herself. Hli was not the type to talk much, but she was curious about the bond between her Grandma and her Grandpa; the bond that would want to make you die for their sake and not be afraid.
“Poj, don't cry anymore.”
She could hear the soft sniffles and feel the warm tears on her shoulders.
“Poj, the bond between you and Yawm are so strong. They act in many ways and they bring out my interest. What made the bond? What kept the bond so strong?”
Hli stop walking as the moon came out from behind the clouds and gave some light. Her Grandma slowly got off of her and steadies herself with Hli's help. Slowly, with Hli holding onto her Grandma, they made their way through the forest.
“Bond…? What is it?”
Hli's Grandma did not say anything, but her tears had stop coming. Hli slowly sat down and lay her Grandma down by a tree stomp. She turned to look at her Grandma. Her eyes looked a little dull almost lifeless. Hli panic and reached into her pouch and took out a small sealed jar of honey. She opened the lid and dipped one of her fingers into the honey and smears it over the small wound.
“Damn it, I wish Paaj was here…”
Her Grandma looked like her life was draining slowly from her as the minutes went by. Hli was confused because her Grandma was not hurt at all, just a few scratches but she should survive. Why was her Grandma looking so sick all of a sudden?
“Grandma,” Hli stood up to look for an Nroj Pov Cais nearby but her Grandma grabbed her by the pants.
Hli went down next to her grandma who looked like her life was withering away very fast.
“Mai Er, I have lived too long and know too much. The wind that once blows ever strong is now but a soft breeze. The leaves with no tree branch cannot live long...”
Hli bend down and faced her Grandma face on. The eyes of her Grandma was dull and lifeless as if her soul had already left her. Hli placed both hands on her Grandma's shoulder and squeeze a little.
“Poj, please tell me what is wrong,” Hli became frantic as she heard shouting nearby.
The Iensehs were going around the village to kill off survivors. Hli looked around her for a safe place to put her Grandma. If she wanted to get out alive, she had to kill the nearby Iensehs. She spotted a small opening by the root of an ancient tree. She lifted her Grandma up and carried her to the hole and gently placed her Grandma down.
“Stay in there and please if anything happens to me...you must not die okay Poj?”
Hli's Grandma looked up at her and Hli saw a spark of life. The spark of life was more of worried and concern for Hli. Hli smiled and nodded her head at her Grandma before disappearing from view.
Hli went to the other side of the tree so the Iensehs would not know her Grandma was there. She took out the sword she had found and got ready. That instance the Iensehs came out of the forest and saw Hli by herself.
“What is a freaking girl trying to do by killing all ten of us?”
Hli smiled, “Nah, it's more like it takes ten full grown men to kill one girl...goes to show how weak you Iensehs have become.”
The ring leader launched at Hli with his full speed and brought his sword down on her. Hli brought up her sword in time to block the attack and kicked the man in the stomach. This made the man drop to the ground. Then all nine of the other Iensehs came at once to kill Hli. Hli was able to knock three men to the grown by kicking them. Cut two other men on the shoulder and head butt the other two in the nose. Hli stood up and faced the ten men who stood up holding their weapons ready to attack again.
“Like I said earlier, ten men is no match for this girl,” Hli braced herself as the ten men came running at her.
“SHOOT!”
Hli and the ten Iensehs turned to look at the source of the voice. The ten Iensehs were sent back by huge arrows. A group of wounded villagers charged the surprised Iensehs and they began to fight. One of the men came up to Hli and stared at her with furious eyes and then they softened.
“It is just too sad to see a young child killing. Hurry and take your Grandma and leave this place Hli. We will hold these Demons down for you,” the man patted her head and turn to the battle field.
Without looking back, Hli ran over to the place she left her Grandma. Upon arriving she saw a group of women and children surrounding my Grandma. She ran over and whispered angrily at the women and children.
“What are you all doing here? Go hide or else those Iensehs will kill you all,” Hli reached over and grabbed for her Grandma.
However, one of the women gently touched her hand and nodded her head `no.' Hli stared confuse for a bit and looked down at her Grandma. Her eyes had dulled out and no trace of life left. Confused, Hli gently stroke her Grandma's face and it was still warm. Her Grandma was still warm…she was alive five minutes ago.
“She died from poisoning. One of the Iensehs' poisonous arrows must have scratched her during the raid,” the same woman spoke gently to Hli.
Hli's body felt like stone and unable to move from the spot. She wanted to curl up next to her Grandma, and just slip away with her. However, the village men came running over and screaming at the group of women and children.
“WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE? RUN!”
Everyone scramble to run, but Hli stayed put and continue to stare at her Grandma. One of the men grabbed her by the waist and carried her off. Hli did not fight to stay with her Grandma…she knew when death came no one can stop it…but why did it have to end like that?
===
 
 
My Wife
Grandma or Grandmother
My Husband
Grandpa or Grandfather
Dear