Realism Fan Fiction ❯ White lies ❯ Shattered ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Author's note! For the first time ever!* Hello my wonderful readers of this little old story of mine. If I may take a moment out of your time, I'd like to request something from you... PLEASE Review my stories! It's getting harder for me to update when I'm starting to wonder whether or not anyone is actually reading this...
Also! I'm looking for a soundboard for new ideas <3 So if anyone is interested, drop a review!
 
White Lies: Chapter Six
 
Mimi had gone home that night with her mind at ease. Having spent the entire day with Vince and Kevin, she nearly forgot about angry Chris she would have to deal with when she returned home. She fed Chris such a ridiculous lie when he did confront her about her absence, claiming that she tried to run errands and had managed to get herself lost in the foreign town. And much to her surprise, he bought it, but it did not spare her from a night of beating.
In fear of receiving another beating, or maybe worse with the way Chris's anger was steadily increasing, Mimi chose to comply with his demands and not leave the house while he was out. Besides, he was in the midst of losing his job at the mill, so she couldn't very well blame him for being so upset when he came home... At least that's what she told herself.
 
It was day thirteen of her `home arrest', thirteen days since she had last seen Vince or Kevin... Laying on the mattress that served as her bed, staring up at the ceiling in utter boredom, she wondered if they would have forgotten about her now. Kevin had only spent a day with her, and Vince didn't know her that well...Was it even enough to constitute a friendship?
Shaking her mind of the silly thoughts, Mimi tried to pass the time by gazing at the shapes of light reflected on the pale ceiling made by the window. It was a small form of entertainment...But Even with the window opened as wide as it could go, it could not distract her from the dreadful heat.
Having her bedroom in what used to be the attic of the small home, all the heat conveniently gathered in her room, causing her to nearly become paralyzed by the heat. It seemed all the energy had escaped her body in the form of sweat, which covered the pale girl's body.
“How does anyone get used to this?”
She doubted that Chris even owned a fan...What was the point in having a cool house when all you did was work and go to the bar?
If her memory served her correctly, at the end of the cul-de-sac there was a small grove, with a creek! Vince had taken her there on her grand tour of the town; she could only hope that she was thinking of the correct street. It was Wednesday, Chris's day off... But cheap night at the bar, so there was no way Chris would be home before midnight...And it wasn't even noon yet!
Forcing herself into a sitting position, Mimi dove into the box closest to her labelled `Clothes', fumbling around for something more appropriate to wear in public than underwear. Catching glimpse of a pair of jean shorts, Mimi quickly plucked them out of the box, a bikini top flying out with it.
Mimi glanced at the baby blue swim top, almost with intimidation in her eyes. Could she? It had been quite a while since she had done anything that resulted in her receiving a beating from Chris.
“It's too hot for a proper shirt...I'll melt!” She spoke out loud, biting her lip in contemplation.
Exhaling audibly, Mimi leaned over to the other end of the bed. Tugging at a large mirror, which was meant to be hung but felt more at home on the floor, propped up against the closet door, Mimi turned her back and examined her reflection.
A week of no beatings sure resulted in a lot of healing.
Sufficed with her appearance, Mimi hastily changed into the clothing, diving into another box to locate a pair of tan sandals she had always favoured. A white sweater just in case, and sunglasses to complete the look, Mimi felt ready to take on the heat of the day...And possibly the fall of slipping out her bedroom window again.
 
“I have to admit, I'm getting better at this...” Mimi commented to herself, proud of her stealthy dismount from the 2nd story window. Struggling to recollect the precise dirt path to follow once one reached the edge of the grove; Mimi chose to follow the first path blindly. Hopefully they would all reach the same place, if not, at least the density of the trees allowed for a cool refuge.
Mimi was mildly surprised that she had come in contact with no other civilian as she wandered the maze-like layout of various paths. Some being bike trails, some being hiking trails, but they all seemed to lead close to the gentle rippling sound of water so she couldn't be that lost just yet. But it was such a hot day, was no one else taking advantage of cool sanctuary of the forest?
There it was! Suddenly the trees seemed to part as the bubbling creek was revealed to her. Luckily, the branches of the trees stretched out far from the base of the tree, creating almost a leafy ceiling over the aquatic sanctuary, only allowing thin beams of light to pass through.
“Should have come here before...” She laughed softly as she dipped her feet into the freezing waters of the creek, a shiver rippling through her at the sudden drop in temperature.
Moving over to the other end of the creek, Mimi turned her back and let herself sit propped against the base of the lone cherry blossom tree...How it managed to thrive if such a crowded environment was a mystery to her, but nevertheless she was grateful for its placement. The soft pink pedals almost completed the picturesque beauty of the area, floating on the water subtly, their fragrance hinted in the air.
 
“I told you this place is beautiful.”
The sudden masculine voice caused the poor girl to nearly jump out of her skin. Spinning around to her right, she caught sight of an all too familiar raven haired boy.
“Vince! Jesus would it kill you to make some noise when you approach?” Mimi laughed softly, her hand flying to her chest to sit her wildly beating heart.
“Sorry about that.” He glanced down at her, eyes widening at her choice of outfit, before his eyes filled with concern. Of course he would be concerned; she had disappeared off the face of the planet for a good two weeks now, without so much as a notice. “Is there something going on at Chris's?”
“Not as of late, but that's because I've been actually obeying him and staying inside all day and night. I'm sorry I couldn't find a way to contact you or anything...” Mimi frowned as she angled herself so she could look at the boy without pulling her feet out of the calming waters. “How are you wearing that?”
Of course she was referring to the boy's ridiculous choice of clothing. Black jeans and a black turtleneck, it was a miracle that the boy was not suffering to some degree from heat stroke, though at least he had the brains to forgo the ominous trench coat.
“It...Breathes easy? It's not as bad as it looks.” Vince moved to find a seat beside her.
Though unfortunately, the protruding cherry blossom tree root had other plans in store for him.
Without so much of a yelp from the boy, his posture changed from graceful to outright clumsy as he careened into the patch of dirt beside Mimi, his head falling into her lap.
“Hello there, Handsome.” She smiled brightly at the dishevelled boy, his eyes wide from falling. Her shoulder shook from holding back laughter; clearly Vince was still too stunned to move himself from her lap, as his crimson cheeks suggested. “Have I told you that I missed you?”
“I m-missed you too... Kevin and I were worried after you left that...Well...Things would get worse for you.” Finding his voice, Vince managed to snap out of his shock and return to his originally planned spot.
“Oh, well...Don't worry, everything has been fine lately. Last time I got beat was when Chris nearly got laid off...But he's been hitting the bar pretty hard lately, so he's not so much of a bother.” She brushed it off nonchalantly, though she only seemed to receive a very annoyed look from Vince. “Vince you know he's all I have... Beggars can't be chosers.”
“But you don't deserve this Mimi...I know most foster homes are neglectful...But they won't abuse you like that bastard does!” It was the first time Mimi had heard Vince raise his voice. It frightened her, as a raised voice usually didn't mean well for her, and she found herself flinching instinctively.
 
“Mimi...” Much to her surprise, Vince took gentle hold of her chin, forcing her to look up at him. His voice was gentle, and his pale blue eyes showed nothing but concern for the girl in front of him. Of course he wasn't going to hit her, he was nothing like Chris.
It was the first time Mimi could clearly see all aspects of his face, for once his face was covered by clothing or his hair. Who knew that such a baby-doll face was hidden under that dark mane? Mimi found herself smiling softly, blushing as his gaze remained on her. Her own eyes were locked with his...Until her eyes trailed down to his arm, where his sleeve had fallen a few inches.
“Vince! Oh my goodness, what happened?” In a heartbeat she had pulled herself away from his touch, taking his hand in hers and pulling up the sleeve further, revealing the series of jagged cuts along his wrists.
“Oh...That? Just an accident a few days ago...Nothing big...”
Vince attempted to take his arm back from Mimi, but she was having none of it, shooting him a sceptical look before closer inspection of the cuts.
“Those look self inflicted...Honey what's been going on?” Vince's head suddenly turned away from her, confirming her suspicions.
“It's...Complicated...”
Complicated was an understatement. How could Vince ever begin to tell Mimi of everything he had to endure, the effects it had on him, how he felt about himself now. It was too much to go into...And even if he could tell Mimi...What would she think of him afterwards.
“Well...I won't press. It's not like I have never done the same.” Mimi whispered softly to him, running her fingers gently over the raised scars on his wrists. Hers were nothing but thin scars now, barely noticeable and stagnant, even in all this turmoil. It made her wonder just what Vince could be going through, something he wasn't telling her.
Turning her attention to the forgotten world around them, Mimi noticed that the thin beams of light had disappeared. Was it really that late already? She still had a house to clean and food to get on the table, even if she was going to be the only one eating.
“Vince, I have to go. But I'll sneak over later if I can alright? It's been too long since we've hung out properly.” Glancing up at the boy, Mimi noticed his head was still turned away from her. Stroking his cuts once more time, she leaned in close, pressing her lips to his cheek softly. “Take care of yourself, Honey. Okay?” And with that she was gone, leaving a very shocked, very crimson Vince.
 
“She...Kissed me...” Vince was still in shock, even hours later. Having collapsed upside-down on the couch, he didn't seem to care much, his hand still gingerly touching his cheek.
“Maybe there's hope for you after all eh?” Kevin jested; pushing Vince's feet so that he flipped onto the floor...Then promptly stole Vince's former spot.
“No Kevin. She's just a friend...Besides if she knew anything about me she wouldn't even want to be seen with me.” Vince shook his head, breaking himself out of his stupor. Shooting Kevin a dirty, yet playful look, he didn't hesitate to push Kevin back roughly. The resulting action was Kevin being flipped back over the back of the couch, allowing Vince to reclaim his spot.
However, before Vince could reclaim his rightful spot on the couch, a frantic knock erupted from the door. Kevin and Vince shot each other an odd look.
“Who the hell?” Vince shook his head and leapt over the couch, making it across the room and to the door within a few strides. Running a hand through his dark hair, he fumbled with the locks for a few seconds before opening the door.
His blood boiled at the sight before him.
 
Stained with blood and dirt, crystalline tears running down her bruised cheeks, it was none other than Mimi...Though with her current state she was nearly unrecognizable.
“Mimi...Chris again?”
“Who else!” Mimi snapped, a sob racking her chest as she launched herself into Vince's arms.
As if he wasn't have a hard enough time trying to control his anger, it was increasingly difficult to fight a blush from creeping onto his cheeks. But it had to put away his insecurities, she needed him. Vince held the trembling girl tightly against him, despite the fact tears and blood was becoming absorbed into his clothing.
“That's enough...I've had enough...” Mimi whimpered, her words muffled by the material of his shirt. But Vince heard, and that was all he needed to hear.
“Don't worry Mimi...You're safe now...” Kevin called out to the beaten girl, leaping from his spot on the floor to retrieve the first-aid kit.
“C-Can I stay here tonight?” Mimi's grip was tight on Vince, as if he was the only thing keeping her upright at the moment. And noting her visible injuries, it was probably the case.
“Of course Mimi, I'll...Head to your place and get some things for you...You'll be here for a few days.” Vince whispered, his lips finding themselves pressed against her hair.
Kevin emerged from the bathroom, an unusually well-stocked first-aid kit in his arms.
“And you laughed at me for stealing this from the hospital...” Kevin smiled lightly, trying to lighten the mood as always. Vince gave the boy a ghost of a smile, helping Mimi sit down before grabbing his trench coat.
“Vince! My Uncle might still be home...What if he sees you.” Mimi called out to him from the couch, hissing softly as Kevin began wiping her cuts with alcohol.
“He won't, trust me...” Slipping the trench coat over him in one fluid motion, he gave Mimi a reassuring smile, while shooting Kevin a stern glare that could only come across as `Don't let anything happen to her.' Keeping his hand on one of the small coat pockets, he moved out of the small apartment without another word, shutting the door firmly.
“He won't even know what hit him.”