Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ In My Heart and In My Mind ❯ Chapter 16

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In My Heart and In My Mind
By Kathryn K. Williams 2006

Chapter sixteen

Trish’s mind was a flutter with the story Sam had told her the other day. While she wanted to believe her friend she could just not fathom how something like this could have happened. She recalled the way Sam looked just before her scars appeared, the frightened and pained expression upon her face, as if someone had indeed shot her. There was no doubting that something strange had indeed happened, but what was she going to do about it. She stayed with Sam the entire night and allowed the girl to sleep in her arms, but needed to go to school in the morning. She did not want to leave her friend alone, but she had little choice. What was she going to do? Tell her mother that she needed to stay at Sam’s side because she is grieving for a future friend who recently died, would her mother even believe that? She promised that she would spend the weekend with Sam as she left for school.

She sat at the picnic table that lunch hour, munching on a sandwich, so deep in her thoughts that she did not notice as Beth took up the seat next to her.

“How is Sam doing?” She asked, setting a book down upon the table in front of her.

Trish blinked a few times and glanced over at the girl beside her, “Huh? Wha?”

“Sam?” Beth asked again, “How is she doing?”

Trish shook her head in dismay, “Not so good. She is depressed and I don’t know how to cheer her up.” Ever since the day Beth showed up at Trish’s house unexpectedly the two girls had grown steadily closer and Trish found the two of them talking more and more during the lunch hours. She was surprised to find that Beth was an ordinary girl with just an unusual taste in the darkness in others. She found herself opening up more and more to Beth and felt rather guilty for treating the girl so poorly during the first few weeks of their friendship. The two of them talked a lot about Sam and school and life, but mostly Sam. Trish was grateful to have someone to talk to for with Sam away she was left with only Lisa to talk to and just spending a few hours with the girl gave Trish a headache. Suddenly her eyes brightened as if she suddenly realized whom it was she sitting next too.

“BETH!!!” She cried out and grabbed the girl by the sleeve.

Beth startled slightly, “What? I’m right beside you, you don’t have to yell.”

Trish glanced around herself to make sure no one was listening, “I need to talk to you.”

“Alright?” Beth brushed the girl’s hand from her sleeve, “What is this about?”

“Sam.” Trish stated, still glancing around herself, “Is there somewhere we can talk privately.”

Beth picked up her book and nodded over her shoulder, “Come with me.” She insisted.

Trish stuffed her sandwich in the brown bag it came in and hurried after the girl, “Where are we going?” She inquired, keeping pace with the girl as they walked around the school to the portables out back.

“I know a private place.” Beth simply explained, not saying another word. Soon they came to bush between two of the portables and she gestured at the bush.

“Here?” Trish craned her neck, but could not see over the bush.

Beth nodded, “It is the most private place on the school grounds, other then the washrooms.” She commented lightly, and then gave the girl a suspicious look, “or would you prefer the washrooms?”

“No no…” Trish stammered and then gave the girl a curious look, “How do you know this is private? Do you come here often?”

Beth rolled her eyes in irritation of the girl’s immaturity, “Grow up a little will you.” She quickly took the girl by the hand and pulled her through a break near the edge of the portable and the bush, “Don’t be smart and get in here before someone sees us.” She stated coolly as she shoved branches out of her face.

“Hey!” Trish called out as she is towed between the buildings.

The space between the portables was about a metre wide and well shaded by the buildings on either side and there was a long fence at the end blocking the back. When they were half way through the small walkway Beth let go of Trish’s hand and leaned against the wall of one of the portables, “So what is it you wished to speak in private about?” She inquired quietly.

Trish scratched her head and glanced around. Even though the buildings where only one room they were rather tall for they stood on cinder blocks and blocked out the sun, covering it in cool shadow. Beth was right about it being private and this made Trish even more curious about what it was that the girl used this area for.

Beth glared at the girl before her, “It is a make out area alright?” Beth stated bluntly, “Only a few people use it because there isn’t much of anything here and the teachers don’t bother looking down here ever so it is as private as we are going to get. So what is it you wanted to talk about, because I have a feeling you did not ask me here to make out with me?” Beth gave the girl a curious look, “Or is that was you wanted to talk to me about?”

Trish waved her hands defensively, “No no!!!” She exclaimed as a bright flush covered her face. “I just… I… Wait! Are you… gay?” She exclaimed as her mind slowly registered what the girl had just said.

Beth simply nodded, “Why else do you think I joined your little group? I can sense these things about people and you and Samantha give off more lesbian vibs then anyone else in the school, most of the other girls are either bi or bi curious.” She muttered the last bit in distain.

Trish’s jaw dropped, “You said it was because you were trying to warn Sam.”

Beth nodded again, “That is true as well.” She admitted, “She has a powerful spirit and the fact that she is gay just gave me all the more reason to approach her. It is hard enough dealing with having psychic powers, being a lesbian as well just makes things all the more complex.”

Trish shook her head, “Okay this is just weird. Sam didn’t know she was gay until recently and you could tell before she could.”

“Samantha is a special girl.” Beth remarked, “She just needs to realize it first.”

Trish nodded, “Yeah she is special that is for sure.” She said with a sigh and leaned against the opposite wall, “I wish I could understand a little of what she is going through. I mean I can understand the whole lesbian thing, but this psychic thing is a bit too much for me. I was fine with her seeing ghosts and hearing animals talking, but now things are getting really strange.”

Beth watched the girl carefully, “Does this have to do with that second soul I saw in the hospital?” She inquired knowingly.

Trish nodded again, “She claims that her mind jumped into another girl’s body when she was hit with the vase and when she returned to her body their minds were linked.” Trish explained, lacing her fingers together in demonstration.

“Not uncommon.” Beth remarked with a slow nod, “Mind jumping is something that commonly happens when a psychic is under a lot of stress or their body is in danger.”

“And the linking minds thing?” Trish curiously asked.

Beth placed a hand to her lips, “That is different. I’ve heard about it, but never seen it myself. Who is this second soul?”

Trish shrugged, “I don’t know, she is dead.”

Beth blinked at Trish, “Dead? Was it a ghost?”

Trish shook her head, “Sam said the girl was from the future, one year from now, and she was murdered. Sam saw it all with her own eyes and it has really shaken her up.”

Beth let out a breath and started to pace and Trish found herself watching the way the girl’s dress bounced around her lace covered legs, the lace fringe swaying to and fro as she turned. Trish never had an interest in goth attire before, but the more she got to understand Beth the more she found the girl’s choice in cloths as more then just interesting and she had to pull her eyes away from the girl’s long legs as Beth began to speak again, “This is serious.” Beth said, not noticing Trish’s stares, “Having someone die while they are linked can be very damaging.” Beth stopped and glanced up at Trish as the girl’s eyes quickly snapped up to greet Beth’s, “Can I come over and visit?” She asked with curious concern, “I want to talk to Samantha in person.”

Trish shrugged and tried to wipe the flush from her face, “I don’t mind.” She stated as she glanced to the ground and kicked at a rock, “But Sam said doesn’t want to see anyone right now.”

Beth smiled brightly, “She will see me.” She insisted with a twinkle in her eyes that made Trish shiver.

*****

To be Continued . . .

*****

Note: Characters and ideas in this story are a copyright of Kathryn K Williams.

If you wish to view art from this series please visit my deviant arts site at: http://shinigami-shimai.deviantart.com/

For more of my stories visit my deviant hearts site at: http://www.devianthearts.com/viewuser.php?uid=159

Also if you spot any typos or other errors please contact me at katwilliams @ rogers.com