Romance Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Change of Heart
Chapter 4
 
Syeeda gave Roxas a big hug and brought him inside.
 
“I'm so glad you came. Where's everyone else?” she asked Roxas.
 
“They are waiting at the Usual Spot,” replied Roxas.
 
The Usual Spot was where Roxas, Syeeda, Hayner, Pence, and Olette hang out. Hayner, Pence, and Olette were also very good friends of Syeeda and Roxas. They always did everything together. The five of them were best friends and they went to school together.
 
“Ok. Why didn't they come?”
 
“I don't know.”
 
Syeeda looked at Riku. He was looking out the window trying to look like as if he were uninterested. He actually did not like Roxas very much because he believed that Roxas was one of the things that were standing in his way of getting to know Syeeda more.
 
“Riku, I want to show you around our town,” she said.
 
Riku looked at her and said, “Alright.”
 
Together, they all left the house and walked to the Usual Spot. Hayner, Pence, and Olette were waiting impatiently for them.
 
“It took you long enough!” exclaimed Hayner.
 
“Hey guys! I want to introduce my new friend here.” Syeeda said as she pulled Riku from behind her.
 
Wait, `friend'? Did she just think Riku as only a friend? This brought Riku a little down. He did not want to be just a friend of Syeeda's, but something a little more than that, like, a boyfriend maybe…well, at least it's a start. Nevertheless, does this mean that she does not like me, as I love her, wondered Riku. This confused Riku a lot, until he was nudged in his back.
 
Syeeda shoved him to say hi because he was totally zoning out. Riku hastily came back down to earth and said hi pathetically. Syeeda forced a small laugh and said that he was `shy' so that she could cover up his rudeness.
 
“Riku, this is Hayner. He can be a little impolite at times,” she said as she pointed at him. Then she introduced Riku the rest of her friends.
 
“We are going to the clock tower,” said Olette looking at Riku, “Would you like to come with us?”
 
“Sure” replied Riku. He really didn't want to come. But, if it meant spending more time with Syeeda, he would definitely go.
 
Riku got as close as he could get to Syeeda as they walked towards the tower. Riku stopped walking when out of nowhere; Naminé appeared in front of him. The rest of the group kept walking, not noticing Riku's actions.
 
“Riku, how long are you going to take? You need to hurry up and decide what you are going to do. Are you going to help Sora or not?” she firmly asked Riku.
 
Syeeda stopped walking and turned around because she noticed that Riku was not with them. She just stared at him because he looked like he was talking to himself; she still could not see Naminé.
 
“Give me some space will you!” exclaimed Riku. “Why are you following me like this? Can't you just wait until I decide on what am I going to do?”
 
“What's there to decide on?” she questioned.
 
“Riku... who are you talking to?” asked Syeeda.
 
Riku looked behind Naminé and saw Syeeda approaching. Syeeda walked through Naminé and stood in front of Riku as she asked, “Are you OK?”
 
Riku could not believe what was happening. Syeeda just walked through Naminé as if she were a ghost.
 
“Y…yeah, I'm fine” he stuttered.
 
Syeeda took his hand and walked with him to catch of with the rest of her friends. Riku looked back, but Naminé disappeared. He sighed and diverted his attention to the person who held his hand. He felt pleased; the person he likes was holding his hand.
 
Hold up, Riku thought, she was holding his hand. She came to him and took his hand on her own. Riku could not infer why, but he couldn't care less of it.
 
When they reached the clock tower, Syeeda let go of Riku's tight gripped hand.
 
“We sit on top of the clock tower” explained Syeeda, “That's why we are going up.”
 
Everyone got on top and ate Sea-salt ice cream. Riku sat next to Syeeda as she sat next to Roxas. This bothered Riku a little but shook his jealousy off when he told himself that Roxas and Syeeda were only friends and nothing more than that.
 
Still, Riku could not help but feel somewhat jealous. As Hayner, Pence, Olette, and Roxas talked to each other, Riku talked to Syeeda.
 
“So, how old are you? 14…15?” asked Riku.
 
“I'm 15. You?”
 
“Same. Uh…” mused Riku. He didn't know what to say, he was too nervous to. Damn it, thought Riku, I finally got a chance to talk to her and I'm blowing it!
 
Luckily for Riku, she broke the silence between them.
 
“Would you like to go to the beach with me sometime…after this?” she asked anxiously.
 
Riku was somewhat astonished. Syeeda was asking to go to the beach with him, what a dream come true. Riku began thinking to much about what this meant to him. Did this mean that she wants to spend time alone with him? Does she like him? Or, was she just trying to go to the beach with someone because she didn't want to go by herself? No, thought Riku, he discarded his last assumption. She wouldn't do that.
 
“I understand if you don't want to go. I'll just go with Roxas.” Syeeda said when he was quiet too long.
 
“Oh…no, really, I would love to go! I was just thinking…” Riku replied hurriedly. He did not want her to go with Roxas.
 
But, it was too late. Roxas already heard Syeeda's question and her mentioning his name.
 
“I'll go with you too, Syeeda” Roxas replied happily.
 
Syeeda turned around to Roxas and said, “ Alright, I'd love to have you come along as well! I'm thinking of going soon.”
 
Damn you Roxas, thought Riku angrily, go to hell and suffer. Syeeda started talking to Roxas and was laughing a lot with him.
 
Riku was too upset to talk to anyone. He wanted to go to the beach with her alone, and not with anyone else.
 
Then turning to Riku, she asked him, “Maybe you can tell me about how you got separated with your friends and what you plan to do about it.”
 
Riku's mood changed completely. She was talking to him, and he didn't want to screw this up either.
 
 
“It's a heck of long story. But, I will definitely tell you the best way I can.”
 
“Ok, I'm listening.”
 
“My friends, Sora and Kairi, and I known each other for a long time, since we were really little. Before Kairi came to our island, it was just Sora and me. Kairi came a few months later. When I asked her where she came from, she told me that she didn't know exactly because she told me that she couldn't remember. This gave me an idea, maybe there were other worlds. I thought that there was something much bigger and that we were part of something much smaller. In the mean time, Sora and Kairi were kinda…interested in each other. They found a…well, some secluded place near a small water fall. They drew pictures and spent time there…Well, anyways, they became 14 and I was 15. I thought that it was a good time to tell them of my idea. I wanted to build a raft so that we can go to other worlds! We finished building it and on the same day, a storm hit out island. I went to the island were our raft was and I knew what was happening. The door to another world was opening…”
 
Riku went on about how he ended up in darkness and how Ansem the Wise's Heartless took over him. He told her how he betrayed his friends and in the end, he fought it and became himself again. Also, he mentioned how he was supposed to be the Key barrier and not Sora. Then, he told her about how he came to Twilight Town through the Realm of Darkness.
 
It took a long time for him to tell her his story, that everyone but Roxas, left.
 
Syeeda sympathized with Riku as said, “I feel so sorry that you had to go through that. The darkness seems very scary. I hope you get to your friends soon, Riku. Do you know how to find Sora?”
 
Riku felt better about talking about his feelings. He felt a great comfort by talking to someone who was actually willing to listen.
 
“I'm not quite sure yet” replied Riku as he thought about Naminé.
 
“Let's go to the beach” suggested Syeeda, she had something in mind.
 
They boarded the train and went. When they arrived, Syeeda walked near the clear, cool water and sat down. She loved the breeze and water softly splashing on her feet. She closed her eyes. Roxas and Riku sat beside her.
 
Syeeda took a deep breath and sighed. She unhurriedly opened her eyes and looked at the water.
 
“Thanks for coming with me you guys” she said.
 
“Your welcome” Riku replied.
 
“No problem” answered Roxas.
 
Then, Roxas got up and took her hand to pull her up from the warm sand. He dragged her in the water and he started splashing the cool water on her. Riku just sat there and watched them…no, he watched her. Not once did Syeeda glance at Riku.
 
After some time, Syeeda whispered something to Roxas. Reluctantly, Roxas agreed to what she had asked him to do and he left them. Riku couldn't understand why.
 
Syeeda watched Roxas go, then, when he was gone and out of sight, she called to Riku, “Why don't you come here in the water with me?”
 
Without hesitating, Riku got into the water and got with Syeeda. They were standing in a shallow area. The water only went to their knees.
 
“Why did he leave?” asked Riku.
 
“Because I told him to.”
 
Riku was puzzled, why would she tell her best friend to leave?
 
“Why?” questioned Riku.
 
“I thought that it would be nice to have time to spend with you. You…only.
 
Riku couldn't help it but smile.
 
“I want to spend time alone with you as well.”
 
It had been only a day an a half, and already they were connecting, Riku thought.
 
She got close to him and held his hands. Then as she got closer, she said, “ I've been thinking…I want to help you find Sora. I'm willing to risk anything to help you.”
 
Riku was so stunned. He knew for sure that she liked him back. There were signs that made him think so. First, she offered to let him stay in her house for the night. Then, she held his hand when they were walking to the clock tower. After that, she asked him to go to the beach with her. She asked Roxas to leave, and now, she was holding his hands telling him that she's willing to risk anything to help him.
 
“I…can't have you come” he answered. “I don't want you to get hurt. If you do, I won't ever forgive myself.”
 
Syeeda was silent for awhile. Then said, “If I don't come with you, do you think we will see each other again?”
 
Riku hadn't thought of this. If he did get back home, how was he going to see her again? But first, Riku wanted to make sure of something.
 
“I'm…assuming that…you like me?” he asked her shyly.
 
“I'm assuming I am. What about you?”
 
“I love you.” He said honestly.
 
Syeeda blushed, and said, “I love you too…We don't each other too well, but something is telling me that you and me feels right…I knew all along that you liked me, Riku. You don't have to hide it anymore.”
 
“Uh…I wasn't trying to hide it…I was just…”
 
Just what? Come on Riku, out with it! Stop stalling time cuz it ain't working!
 
“Riku, I think you need to be more open with how you feel.”
 
“Yeah…well…”
 
Riku laughed quietly and got closer to Syeeda, so close that there was no space left between them. She looked deeply into his blue-green eyes and he looked directly in to her dark brown eyes. He put his arms around her body and she wrapped her arms around him as well. They were in each other's arms and standing in water with the sun almost setting. How romantic can it get?
 
He closed his eyes as he got closer and whispered as quietly as he could, “I want…to be…with you…”
 
Suddenly, everything around him froze; the water, the breeze, and even Syeeda.
He was so close to kissing her. Naminé called out to him behind Syeeda. She was still in his arms. He held onto her tight and did not loosen his grip as Naminé approached him.
 
“What the hell did you do?” he yelled angrily.
 
“I can stop things…in time that is. I can do that. Surprised much?” Naminé said.
 
“Couldn't you do your stupid witch crap some other time? Why now? Why here?”
 
“Riku, I have waited to long for you. You must talk to Ansem the Wise. If not, your friend, Sora, might suffer.”
 
Riku was to mad to even listen to Naminé. He was so close to kissing Syeeda.
 
“Look… Naminé…couldn't you wait for at least 5 minutes…or ten maybe?”
 
“So, you are telling me that Sora doesn't mean much to you, at all?”
 
“No, Sora means a lot to me. I just can't leave her…”
 
“Riku, you will see her again. I promise you. But, right now, we need you.” Coaxed Naminé.
 
Riku looked at the precious girl in his arms and then at Naminé. He had to admit, he was taking a long time on thinking about what he was to do. He wanted to help Sora, and this was how he could.
 
Riku felt like crying. He broke the uncomfortable silence and said, “ Alright. I'll go with you.”
 
Naminé smiled and said, “You made the right choice Riku.”
 
To be continued.