Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Insanity's Requiem ❯ Struggles of the Mind ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here goes the next chapter! Hope it works out, cause I'm not to sure about it. But then again, when am I ever? Lol
 
Insanity's Requiem
 
Chapter 11: Struggles of the Mind
 
 
Things began to progress at a far faster rate then before, as the spiritual energy began to surge. The spirits of Earth were enraged at the capture of their representative, causing those of the nether realm to follow. Each passing minute threatened to become more explosive then before as the spirits were left to question if destiny would be fulfilled. The destiny of the person who acted as their link had not been accepted and the Jewel of Soul hadn't been fully tapped into yet. No matter what, the time was growing short and far more precious as each being began to feel the tug of a battle far beyond their capabilities.
 
The spirits tried to contact her to the best of their ability, yet she remained beyond their reach. The only one they could speak to at the moment was the current Ancient one, and even her powers were limited. No, the only way they'd find their salvation was through the one they chose, and currently, those of the darker realm, behind the barrier that held them back, were doing their best to push that person to the brink of insanity, knowing that it would break the binds that held them down. It was only a matter of time.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
A light faded away to reveal the ten who made it their duty to fight back the evil. The Ronins and warlords stood side by side with Mia watching from on top of White Blaze, ready to do battle. Scanning the area, Kayura raised her staff as Cale stepped forward to speak, “I believe that the palace is over that way. The aura of night is stronger there.”
 
The guys nodded as Kento stepped forward, “What are we waiting for?! Come on! I want to kick some tail, and this is only holding us back!”
 
“Stop it, hardhead. We can't jump in right away; we have to think it through. If we charge in, they will know to expect us. That won't help Lena anymore then it will us,” Sage spoke, the opposition to Kento as before. Kento turned a scowl in his direction as he frowned; taking in the information he had just been given. He knew it was true, but he wanted to deny it. Charging in and plowing through was his best tactic, and Lena was another little sister that he took care of, no matter how long he had known her previously.
 
Cye nodded, silent as he looked about, a frown planted on his face. The warlords kept their mouths shut; not daring to voice the odds as Mia glanced from side to side, standing beside Ryo as their beacon of support. Shaking his head, Rowen glanced about, “Then let's get going! I want to make it to that castle as fast as we can, and I don't think that anyone knows we are here yet.”
 
Kayura nodded, shaking her staff from side to side, “You're right. Not yet, anyways, but we better get moving so that they continue in that place for at least a little while.”
 
The guys nodded, heading off in the direction the woman indicated as Sage contemplated numerous attempts on how to rescue the damsel in distress. Dang, this thing was becoming rather cliché now, wasn't it?
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The flute music hadn't stopped, only continued as Lena sat, wearily against the wall. The whispers spoke of evil things, dark desires that she herself had never dared to dream about, much less think of. Anything was possible with them. She could gain power of mind and strength through the darkness that threatened to envelop her. Destiny hadn't been written yet, and as such, her choice was still available to her.
 
However, the Nether Spirits were eager for release, fed with the strength that Lethias gave them to overcome the strengths of her withering mind. She was exhausted, and the whisperings of evil deeds began to sound tempting, “I'm alone…always have been. Did those guys ever exist?”
 
She murmured such things to herself as she closed her eyes, trying to shut out the evil about her. Clutching at her memories, she recalled the smiles of her family and those of her friends. She tried to block out the more triumphant sounds of the spirits of the dark as she clutched at the warmth that suddenly appeared in her mind. It was like a ray of hope, a golden light that had shot down.
 
Opening her eyes, she felt like crying. The warmth was almost too much after the dire cold, the light almost too much from the utter dark. She felt the Jewel about her neck give off warmth, completely separate as she tried to figure it out. She felt it then, the other spirits fighting their way to her. A name came to her as she saw faces in her mind, the memories that helped her to retain the sanity of being locked into this realm with who knew how many spirits of other creations. A golden staff shined, giving off part of the light as she recalled the person who wore green armor, and then the others. That was when, somehow, she knew that they were coming. That was when she heard it, a male voice coming to her along a telepathic line, as if she now had a mental link with him.
 
We will save you, Lena-chan…
 
“Sage…guys…I'll hold on, I'll try to hold on,” Lena then sighed, nodding. She would fight, she knew they were coming now, and it was her only hope to hold onto.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
Lethias grinned, watching as the fight began to leave the person whom he watched. He waited for the chance to activate it. Once she was finished fighting, the portal could be opened and she would be possessed to fight for him. Looking on, he glanced to the side where the mere slip of a girl, Minako, stood. He held no feelings of debt to her, she was still possessed, but it was hard to see which of the possession the spirit was, and which was her. Shaking his head, he contemplated how he would first begin the take over of the mortal and nether realms.
 
Ahhh yes, he only had to wait. The sadistic smile crept on his face when a faint glowing attracted his attention to the girl lying before him. Frowning, he spotted the glowing of the Jewel. He didn't like it. It meant that she was fighting back again, he felt it. Her struggles had been renewed, “Damn. What's going on?”
 
He reached forward as if to snatch the glowing gem from her neck when he was repelled, “Now this is a twist. Something is giving her power. Looks like those other spirits found their way in here.”
 
The barrier glowed gently around her, the Jewel acting of it's own accord. Frowning, he began to sense nine powers, once of which was a powerful ancient being. Growling to himself, “So, the rats are here. Minako!”
 
The girl looked up at the Demon, listening to what he had to say as she stirred from her silent musings. Lethias looked at her with something akin to hatred, “Looks like you get your chance to claim what you wanted. Go beat back those Ronins from getting here. Be gone with you!”
 
Minako nodded, immediately disappearing, her own body becoming more and more like that of a demon and less of the human girl she once was. Lethias smirked at that, and then glared at the brunette that lay before him, “So, the ancient is sending her power to you. No matter, they can't stop what I have begun.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
 
 
The guys landed in their circle, Mia between them, as Kayura broke away from them. Focusing cold eyes upon a horizon beyond their sight, she instantly changed into her sub armor. The warlords stood beside her, stoic for once, as they began to feel the undercurrents of evil happenings twinge at their outer senses. Glancing back at the others, Cale nodded, “We go straight ahead, and beyond a little ways at that should be the castle we seek. Keep your ears open, many demons fester in this area, and we don't want to get caught unawares. Some have nasty dispositions…”
 
“Well, of course they do,” Kento grumbled as he glanced at Ryo unconsciously. It seemed that they all waited what he would decide to do, since he was the person they looked to for orders and such. Cye seemed abnormally silent as he felt the pull of his armor towards the battle. Rowen glanced at the sky as if in silent prayer as Sage kept his head erect, as if sensing something beyond what it was that they were trying to do.
 
“Alright. Let's get going. We don't have a lot of time from what Kayura has told us, and I don't think we want to waste it,” Ryo spoke, his head shifting to face the direction that he was to take before beginning his run, closely followed by the others.
 
Mia remained silent, contemplating what it was about Ryo that just captured her attention. Riding atop White Blaze, she supposed that she had no other choice but to. Her sight lined the trees nervously, the feeling of something watching them never quite leaving her as she found herself flanked by Dais and Kento. No one was taking chances, and this was just more evidence to boot.
 
They all traveled like this for some time as hour after hour passed them by and no demon showed up as of yet. None of them tried for super speed, due to the realization that Mia and White Blaze would have fallen behind. The distance was incredibly more then they thought, and each began to groan at the sight of another hill.
 
However, something made itself noticed at the edges of Sage's senses. Straining them, he picked up the festering of evil winds and malicious spirits. Frowning, he caught Ryo's attention with a small wave, his violet eyes seemingly almost lighter, “I don't like this. Something is about to happen.”
 
“Everyone! Be ready!” Ryo called softly, kneeling down as he adopted his fighting stance, seconded by the others about them. Each of them readied themselves for the fight that they knew was to come. A rumble began to stir deeply in the throat of White Blaze as the tiger shifted nervously from behind Dais and Ryo.
 
“What's that noise?” Rowen asked as an eerie flute like music crept through the air, catching all of their attentions. It was strange, and watching Sehkmet's face was far worse, “It's the flute!”
 
Kayura whirled to face him, “Are you certain?”
 
Sehkmet nodded, grinning wryly at the thought that the enemy seemed to have the flute in their possession, “After all the searching, they had it all along. What kind of thing is this?”
 
“Maybe they decided that it was time to torture snake boy into a nice padded room with muscular men to take care of you as you are bound in a jacket with long sleeves tied behind you?” Rowen rolled his eyes as he felt the string of words come from his mouth.
 
“It's beautiful though,” Mia said, raising a hand to her ear to listen.
 
“Of course it is. It's the flute that the person who acts as the spirit's link is supposed to use. It fully activates with the Jewel, and it's said to have powers beyond that of an ordinary one. It depends on the barer, since the power conforms itself to fit its master. No one knows what it will look like, but they say it becomes rather close to that of armor when all three things are placed together,” Kayura rapidly breathed out as they heard a rustling to the right.
 
“Heads up! Bucket heads at twelve o'clock!” Cye cried, bringing his fists before him.
 
Should I yell that their mother wears army boots? Ryo asked himself wryly as they watched bug like monsters emerge from seemingly no where as they all readied themselves. A piercing laughter fill the air, the kind that sent chills up and down their spines as the figure appeared before them. A smiling young woman walked forward, the grin on her face intimidating to most.
 
“I've come for my prize this time. I want my reward for serving the master well, and I'm here to see that I get it,” She smirked, her eyes resting on Sage, as if in challenge.
 
The strangest part was Sage sensed nothing of what she used to be, only of the red eyes that now possessed Minako's being as more demons appeared behind them.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *
 
Author's note: Yea, it was a bit cheesy this chapter, but I do know that I had to get it out of my system. Glad it's gone now! Lol Anyways, I'm still searching for that dang job, I suppose that it's a lot harder then it looks. Then again, I already knew that. Lol As you can see, however, there are things that this chapter needs to have edited, however my wonderful beta went on vacation. So I am posting this up as it is, but will hope that you all can bear with it until she can take a look at it!
 
Hikaru
 
 
Reviews: Thanks so much about them!!
 
Inda: Thanks so much about the help on that, any ideas you have as for the attacks will be greatly appreciated. As for fluff, this story this time isn't really mainly centered on it, and I'm hoping to pull more Ryo/Mia before I get too far with Lena and Sage. And you are right in assuming, Lena will not be an all powerful character. Those characters are no fun as it is, so I have to watch out for them! Lol
 
Meira Evanstar: No problem about reviewing. I'll gladly do it again! Lol Anyways, as for the rest? I hope to have my next update soon! I'm already working on it as it is. Lol
 
Lyo/Team_03: Thanks so much. I thought you fell off the earth… (Is joking) However, thank you for the continuous opinions. I do appreciate them greatly, and wished to state that to you! And thanks for the luck on job hunting; I know I'll need it!