Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Melancholy of Flowers ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter Ten


A brush covered in red-orange paint brushed up against the white canvas. Slow strokes, fast strokes then slow again. Natsumi sat up straight on her wooden stool and looked at the work she just did. The mess of red and orange made her scowl. Her father pushed her to become a painter like her mother. She wasn’t bad at it, but she was nothing compared to her mother. Her mother created beautiful works of art that hung all over the house. After setting the brush down on her paint pallet, Nastumi sighed. The whole painting was a means of trying to keep her distracted from the past event that had occurred earlier that day. Her father had summoned her to his study that morning; the uneasiness that she felt when she walked through the double white French doors, still stayed with her. He sat in his usual armchair that was facing the fireplace in the back of the room. She stood there, waiting for her father to speak.
“I’m going to London next week,” he said. He didn’t move from his chair in order to see her. All she saw was the back of his seat. “Apparently it’s family event and my company requested that I bring you along on this trip.”
Fear struck Natsumi hard as she tried to process the information she had just received. If she was away from Cye, then that would mean her control over him would vanish. She swallowed the lump in her throat, trying to regain composer. “B-but what about my schooling?” she asked.
“I don’t care about your schooling. It’s a done deal, Natsumi,” her father said bluntly. “We are leaving next Tuesday.” Natsumi was about to say something else when she heard her father slam his fist against the armrest of the chair. “Don’t make me repeat myself. Now get out of this room.” His voice was firm and cold. The grl slowly walked out of the room and walked up to her room where she closed the door.
Groaning loudly, she placed her hands on her face. The spell she had over Cye was going to wear off. She didn’t even want to think about what would happen if she disobeyed her father’s orders. A shiver ran down her back at the thought. Just then the door opened and a man in his late forties was standing in the room. He wore a plain white polo shirt and jeans and had a reseating hairline.
“What is it, Tim?” Natsumi asked. The man was Natsumi’s uncle and youngest brother to her father. He was a gentle person but didn’t have a backbone. Anything her father said, Tim would obey without question. It just proved how much authority her father had in the household.
Tim walked over to where his niece was sitting and stared at the painting in front of her. A smile broke across his lips as he looked at the messy work. “I take it the meeting with your father went well?” he asked in almost a chuckle.
A shadow loomed over Natsumi’s face as she hung her head. “You know very well what the meeting was about. I tried to object, but I knew the consequences. We are leaving next Tuesday.”
“Maybe it won’t be so bad,” he said, looking down at her. “You both will be surrounded by people so nothing bad can happen to you.” He placed his hand on Natsumi’s shoulder, giving it a slight squeeze. “It’s only a week and it’ll go by fast. Try to enjoy yourself while you’re there.” He left Natsumi alone in her room as she sat in her seat in silence.
 
~~~~~

A knock at the front door could be heard as Mia was putting away the clean dishes. “I’m coming,” she said as she hurried over to the door. “Rowen, Sage,” she gasped as she opened the door. Standing before her was the bearer of Halo and Strata, both baring suitcases and friendly smiles.
“Long time no see,” Rowen said with a wink. “I hope you don’t mind that we dropped by.”
“Of course not,” Mia said as she stepped aside to let the two men into the house. “I was told that you two were on your way. I just didn’t think it would be this soon.”
“Well, we can’t really waste time,” Sage said in his serious voice. “I’m sure Ryo has told you about my letter?”
“Yes, he did,” Mia answered. She took the coats from her friends and placed them on the coat rack. “They haven’t sensed anything though, so I don’t know what to think.”
“Same here,” Rowen said. “Sage wrote me a letter as well stating what he felt. I was just guessing it was because I was all the way in New York.”
“I don’t think that would be an issue,” said a voice. Everyone turned their heads to find Ryo and Kento standing a few feet away from them. “Our armors are connected so I don’t think it would matter where we are,” Ryo continued.
“But Sage does seem to have more of that spiritual stuff going on,” Kento stated as he made his way to his other friends. “How are you doing Rowen old buddy? How’s my uncle treating you?”
“He treats me like part of the family,” Rowen answered with a smile. “Doesn’t let me study and always makes me eat.”
“Sounds like him,” Kento laughed with a huge grin. “Glad to have you all here.”
“Where’s Cye?” Sage asked Ryo. It seemed like he didn’t want to waste any time with formalities.
“He went out about an hour ago. He got a call from Natsumi and said it was an emergency,” Ryo said.
“Yeah, about that. Who is this Natsumi girl and what happened with Hana?” Rowen asked. He looked at Kento who scoffed and walked toward the living area. “It’s that bad?”
Kento pounded his fist on top of the sofa and laughed sarcastically. “He basically dumped her like she was a pile of garbage.” He could feel the rage building up inside of him. “They were completely fine and then… he just goes and dumps her. I don’t know.”
“Why don’t we all sit down,” Mia suggested. “I’m sure you two are exhausted from your travels.”
“That’s sounds like a good idea,” Sage said. “I do want to know more about what has happened since Rowen and I left.”
Ryo explained everything from start to finish while Kento stood up against the nearest wall, his arm folded over his chest. Rowen had a look of shock while Sage looked at Ryo as he took all the information in. He knew something was out of the norm and he also knew it couldn’t have been the fact that Cye dumped Hana. However, it was possible that what he was feeling was connected with the past events that had happened. He just needed to figure out what it was.
“It’s true that people have a fall out, but it just doesn’t make sense at the same time,” Rowen said with a thoughtful look on his face.
“Thank you, Rowen,” Kento said.
“But that doesn’t mean I don’t agree with Cye,” Rowen said. “I’m not going to dislike the man just because he made a decision I don’t like. Love is a mysterious thing and anything can happen.”
Kento looked at Rowen with hard eyes and removed himself from the wall he was leaning against. “How would you know? Have you ever been in love before?”
“I’m afraid I haven’t. It seems like Cye is the only one who has experienced it, exception for Ryo’s thing with Runa.” The bearer of Wild Fire cleared his throat at the mention of the girl he once knew who met with a terrible fate. “Have you?” Rowen inquired, looking at his hard-headed friend straight in the eyes.
Kento could feel his face getting warm as he tried to come up with something fast. “I’m going to spend time with Hana. You all are making me sick right now.” Everyone watched as Kento made his way up the stairs and vanished from view.
“He didn’t even answer my question,” Rowen said with a shake of his head.
“He spends a lot of time with her,” Mia said softly. “She is still going through some tough times and he’s trying to comfort her.”
“I see,” Sage said. “In my opinion I wouldn’t get too close to her.”
“You haven’t changed,” Mia said with a smile. “You really do need to loosen up.”
“I’m just stating the facts. She broke up with Cye and in my opinion; Kento shouldn’t be all over her.” Sage looked at Ryo from across the room. “You agree with me right?”
Ryo sighed and sank into his seat on the couch. “I do, but at the same time I think it’s helping her coupe. Kento is just trying to ease the pain, but I do agree on him getting too close. I also think he does have a small thing for her.”
“And that’s what I’m talking about,” Sage said.
“Lighten up, buddy,” Rowen said as he placed a hand on Sage’s shoulder. “Even if we were to tell him to stop, do you honestly think he’ll listen?”
“Probably not,” Sage said with a small smile.
“Exactly,” Rowen smiled. “So, just let him do his thing. If it’s helping Hana, who are we to say ‘no’?”
“I do see a change in him though,” Mia said to her three friends. “His attitude has changed. He hasn’t been the carefree Kento we all knew.”
“He still doesn’t accept change and goes off on tantrums from time to time,” Ryo said to Mia. “I think the carefree attitude has been replaced with him being uptight.”
“Look, whether or not he likes Hana doesn’t mean a thing,” Rowen said. “If there is an enemy out there, we are going to need him.”

~~~~~

Hana was sitting up in her bed reading a book when Kento entered the room. He silently closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of the bed. The blood that flowed through his veins was still boiling within him.
“What’s wrong, Kento?” Hana asked as she closed her book. “You look like you are ready to pummel someone.”
“If I had a choice, I would,” Kento said as he closed his eyes. He took a deep breath through his nose. “Rowena and Sage are here. There are downstairs talking to Ryo and Mia.”
“They are? I should go see them,” Hana said and was about to get up when Kento placed a hand on her leg. She looked at Kento with confusion, but saw that his face was hard and serious.
“Not right now. I don’t think it’s a good time for you to go down there,” he said quietly. “Just stay here for now.” He didn’t want her going downstairs and have her hear the others talking about Cye. “I just wanted to let you know they are going to be staying here.” Hana relaxed her body against the pillow that was propped up behind her. “You can continue reading your book if you want. Just let me stay here for a little bit.”
Hana nodded and opened her book. She looked at Kento as he sat on the bed in silence, looking at the floor. There was something different about him, but she couldn’t put her finger on it.

~~~~~

A cold breeze blew past Cye as he waited outside a tiny café. The sweater he was wearing wasn’t doing the trick to prevent the cold, not to mention he was wearing another shirt underneath it. He waved when he saw Natsumi walking toward him. She was bundled up in a jacket and a scarf that was wrapped around her neck.
“What’s with the winter look?” Cye smiled after planting a kiss on her left cheek. “It’s not that cold out yet.”
“Cye, I could see you shivering a mile away. The cold season is coming and you need to dress appropriately,” Natsumi scolded. She grabbed his hand and led him inside the warmth of the café. The couple sat down at a small round table across from each other. “What was so important that you needed to see me?”
Natsumi placed a necklace in the middle of the table. It was a blue circular pendant was on a silver chain. She went to see Kurushimi just before her meeting with Cye. After explaining her predicament to the young lady, the solution came to her hands. Kurushimi explained to Natsumi that all Cye needed to do was wear the pendant around his neck. Inside the pendant was the liquid from the tank. Once the pendant touches his skin, the spell will activate immediately. She told Natsumi that it was too early for her plans to go sour. Natsumi looked at Cye with a sullen face. “I’ll be gone a week. My father is going to London on business, but I have to accompany him,” she said softly. “I want you to wear this while I am gone. It was my mother’s.”
Cye picked up the necklace by the chain and examined it. It was a pretty shade of blue and the pattern on the pendant reminded him of the ocean. Just then an image appeared from the back of his mind. It was him and Hana standing across from one another. She handed Cye a necklace just before she left to see her remaining family. A slight pain struck his heart as he recalled the scene. After closing his eyes for a moment, the pain disappeared and he looked at the girl in front of him. “Of course I’ll wear it,” Cye said with a warm smile. The words pleased Natsumi as she smiled back. “I’ve never been to London before. It sounds like it’ll be fun.”
Natsumi didn’t say anything. “Don’t take the necklace off either. I want you to wear it always while I’m gone.” Cye just looked at Natsumi in confusion. “Please, Cye.”
“Okay. I won’t take it off. I promise you,” he said. He placed the necklace around his neck and inside his shirt so it was touching his skin. He immediately felt some kind of warmth spreading throughout his body.
A wide smile was plastered across Natsumi’s face as she saw the necklace on Cye. Things were going to be alright as long as he didn’t take that necklace off. She got up from her seat. “I should get going. I have to go pack.” Cye got up from his seat and walked his girlfriend out of the café. “I’m going to miss you, Cye.”
Cye bent down and captured Natsumi’s soft lips with his slightly chapped ones. “I’ll miss you too. Take lots of pictures and have fun,” he said. Natsumi smiled and walked the opposite way. Cye watched as she walked down the sidewalk and out of view.

~~~~~

Mia placed the last side dish on the long dining room table when Cye entered the house. The smell of teriyaki filled the place as he made his way into the dining room. “What’s with the extra plates?” he asked as he looked at the set up.
“While you were gone, Rowen and Sage arrived at my door,” Mia said as she fixed the napkins on the sides of the plates.
“They are back? Really? Why wasn’t I told they were going to be coming?” Cye asked feeling out of the loop.
“I thought Ryo mentioned it to you,” Mia said in honesty.
Cye walked out of the dining room and headed upstairs to the room where Rowen and Sage usually shared. When he opened the door, he saw his two friends lying on their beds, each with a book in their hands.
“Cye!” Rowen exclaimed as he put his book down and immediately got up from his bed. “It’s good to see you, buddy.” The two hugged briefly. “How have you been?”
“Been alright,” Cye said. “School has been tough, but I’m getting through it. How’s New York?”
“I really haven’t been able to tour the city to be honest with you. My school is mostly tests so I am constantly studying. Uncle Chen doesn’t like that I don’t get out much.” The two friends laughed. “But once you live there long enough, it’s not so different as here.”
At this point, Sage made his way toward them. “I’m glad to see you are doing well,” he said to his friend.
“Same to you,” Cye smiled. “How’s it going at your school?”
“It’s alright. As you know, the old man doesn’t approve of me going to college and would rather have me at the dojo. He wants me to take over it when he passes. I just want to explore different things before that happens. That’s why I’m taking business classes,” Sage explained.
“I forgot about your grandfather’s wish. It must be tough,” Cye said.
Sage shrugged at the comment. “I’ve put up with him this long. I can take anything that he throws at me,” Sage smiled. “Besides, I told him that the classes that I am taking will help me in the future. He seemed to agree with me.”
A thought struck Cye as he stared at his two friends that were standing in front of him. “What are you guys doing here? School isn’t out yet,” he asked curiously.
“For a while, I’ve been sensing a disturbance in this general area. I don’t’ know what it is, but I don’t think it’s good. I told Ryo and Kento about it, but none of them seem to have sensed it. What about you?” Sage asked as he folded his arms across his chest.
“I haven’t sensed anything,” Cye said. “To me, things have been rather peaceful.”
“I said the same thing,” Rowen chimed in. “I haven’t felt anything which is weird. Usually when one of us picks something up, all of us sense it.”  Rowen’s eyes fell upon the pendant that was hanging from Cye’s neck. “What is that thing?”
Cye followed Rowen’s gaze to the necklace. “Oh. Natsumi gave this to me. She’s going to London for a week with her father. She told me not to take it off.”
“Why would she tell you that?” Sage asked. “Where did you meet this girl? Ryo explained to us what happened while we were both gone.”
“I met Natsumi at school. Did Ryo tell you guys that I fell out of love with Hana too?” Cye asked as he put the pendant back inside his shirt. He was getting a little irritated by the sudden questions about him and Natsumi.
“He did,” Sage answered in a calm tone. Now his eyes were on the necklace. He was about to say something else when he heard Mia’s voice calling everyone down for dinner.
Nobody really talked during their meal. Hana just looked at her plate and shifted food around, trying not to make any eye contact with Cye. Kento stuffed his face with teriyaki chicken while scooping up rice onto his plate. Rowen looked at Kento and decided to break the awkward silence. “Kento, slow down there. I don’t want to have to do the Heimlich maneuver on you.”
Kento looked at Rowen before swallowing the food that was in his mouth. “I haven’t really eaten all day, so I’m starving.”
“Wait. You haven’t eaten anything all day? What is wrong with you?” Rowen asked in disbelief. This was a man who always ate at least one thing during all hours of the day. For him not to be eating, that meant something was wrong.
“I don’t know. As of late, my appetite hasn’t been at its fullest,” Kento confessed. “I think school is getting to me. I do have a big test that is eighty percent of my grade. If I fail it, then I fail the class.”
“Do you need any help?” Rowen asked. “I’m sure I can help you if you tell me what it’s on.”
“That would be great. After dinner, come to my room. I’ll show you what I need to study,” Kento smiled.
Rowen stared at his hard-headed friend as he continued to stuff his face with food. Mia wasn’t joking when she said he was going through a change. It wasn’t a bad thing, but he missed his crazy friend.
“I got a letter from Yuli,” Mia said after wiping her mouth with her napkin. “He’s doing well. School is keeping him busy and he’s in a lot of clubs. He joined judo not too long ago.”
“That boy is growing up fast,” Ryo smiled. “Isn’t he in middle school now?”
“That’s right,” Mia said. “He wishes you all well. He really misses the adventures, but at the same time he said he doesn’t mind the normal life either.” Everyone chuckled after hearing about their young friend.
“Who is this Yuli person?” Hana asked.
“He was a little boy that was with us during the battle with Talpa,” Ryo explained. “His parents were captured by the minions of the evil lord. He helped us a lot during that time. We really haven’t seen much of him but he keeps in touch from time to time.”
“The little rascal was annoying at times, not going to lie,” Kento added with a wink. “A typical eight year old boy who didn’t know when to sit down.”
“He wasn’t that bad,” Cye said. “He just wanted to help us.”
“Anyone remember the time when Ryo hit him?” Kento asked. This caused Ryo to blush with embarrassment.
“You hit a child?” Hana asked Ryo in shock.
“I-it was a spur of the moment. I didn’t mean it,” Ryo said defensively. “Trust me, I felt bad afterwards.”
“Those were the days,” Kento said as he sat back in his chair as he reminisced. “Those awesome fights and kicking some major ass. It really got my blood pumping.”
“That’s how we became such good friends,” Rowen added. “It was because of the armors that we all met each other. We have a bond that can’t be replaced.”
Kento gazed over at Cye who simply nodded his head. For the rest of the night, the group talked about the past and the fight they had won together.

A/N: I have had these chapters on my computer for a few months now. My beta reader had a lot of stuff happen to her as of recent so I’m not going to have her review my chapters. Chapter eleven is in the works. However, because I no longer have a beta, I’m going to review the chapters that I write after some time of not looking at them. That way I can see the mistakes in each one. The chapters will slowly appear so please bear with me. Also, I would appreciate some reviews to let me know how much you like the story. Keep my spirits up that I’m not as bad as I think I am. J Thank you for reading.