Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Sufferance ❯ Sweet Dreams ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sufferance
Chapter One: Sweet dreams

By: Valandra


AN: Just what I need, another chapter story….

The nightmares had become more frequent after the funeral service. They all suffered from them, but only Seiji and Shin’s didn’t seem to be loosing their intensity. Neither had yet to sit down and actually talk about the nightmares themselves, so Seiji wasn’t certain if Shin’s were twisting like his own. He suspected they had, as he was not the only one to wake to his own screaming all this week.

Seiji shivered and turned the water off, then reached out from the shower curtain for a towel. He’d had nothing but the hot water running, trying to dispel the soul-deep cold that lingered from the dreams. It hadn’t worked yet, but he was only three days into the new week. Stepping out onto the steam-soaked bath rug, he caught sight of his bright-red skin, worse looking then any sunburn he’d ever seen.

‘Long sleeves then,’ he thought, wrapping the towel about his hips. Grabbing another and scrubbing at his hair, he turned the lights out and walked to his and Touma’s room, reflecting on the threat the archer had given him…yesterday? If he ever took such a hot shower again, and not just because it didn’t leave any warm water for the others.

Closing the door behind him, Seiji tossed the towel into the small hamper beside his closet. Opening the sliding door, he started to shift through his shirts. “Did it help this time?” a quiet voice from behind him. Only the fact that Touma was as fast as he was kept Seiji’s fist from shattering his jaw, and quite likely Seiji’s own hand along with it.

“Don’t sneak up on me like that,” Seiji chastised, avoiding Touma’s look and quirked eyebrow. He silently cursed himself for the fine tremor in his voice, certain the younger boy would notice. Turning back to the closet, Seiji tried to pull his wrist free of Touma’s hold.

The blue-haired archer tightened his hand for an instant before releasing it. He stood there and watched as Seiji continued to peruse the shirts, knowing the blond was trying to buy time and settle his nerves as apposed to no doubt seeking an appropriate long-sleeved shirt. Swallowing a sigh, he crossed his arms and stared at the back of the other boy’s head. “You need to talk about it Seiji, if not to me then one of the others. As things are, you’ll hurt yourself before their damage can set in.”

Seiji did sigh and settled on a loose cotton button-up, long-sleeve with no cuffs. His stance alone spoke of how little true rest he’d been getting.

Touma waited with baited breath, but the minutes passed and Seiji moved on to a similar pair of pants, all without looking at him. Dropping his arms, he ran a hand through his hair and turned his side to the blond as the towel was dropped. “At least talk to Shin, or try to get him to talk. He’s being as tight-lipped as you are. You’re both causing a hell of a lot of worry when we’ve got more then enough already. I want you to realize that.” Walking to the door, Touma didn’t look back though he knew the blond was already dressed. “Look at everybody when you come down for breakfast, really look at them. I want you to tell me how much of it is ya’ll’s responsibility.” He left after that, giving Seiji only a brief moment to reply. The chance wasn’t taken. ****

As much as he valued the boy’s knowledge and opinions, Seiji was right-close to cursing Touma’s accurateness. He was saved from pulling Shin aside after breakfast however; the older boy had silently motioned for him to follow while the other three cleaned up the dishes and put the food away.

Shin closed his bedroom door behind Seiji and motioned the boy to his bed, then took a set with about a foot’s space between them. There was a small difference between the two; despite what no doubt was about to be brought up, Seiji would have arranged it so there was more space between them. Would have directed Shin to the desk chair and hovered by the door himself; he knew it wouldn’t have lasted but propriety and all. Shin knew it just as well as he himself, but also knew when to ignore it. Seiji knew the older boy’s view was it wasn’t needed among friends such as they were, and though Seiji was inclined to agree, such habits were made stronger with nervousness.

“Did Touma get to you too?” Seiji spoke first, breaking the silence and for the most part at ease. He won a small smile from Shin and a soft laugh.

“No,” Shin shook his head. “Shu threatened me. No doubt they both collaborated though, since neither put up a fight about doing the dishes.”

“Point,” Seiji conceded, relaxing despite himself. Put at ease by the other’s own and only mildly surprised not only at the looseness of Shin’s tongue with the admittance but the fact he found it didn’t overly surprise him. Shu and Touma had grown up together, yet both had taken to Shin and himself respectively. Not to say the five hadn’t connected amongst themselves; that would be by far untrue. ‘A little over two months together and the death of our own devastates us to such a degree. Brothers-in-arms or not, sentimental or not, such ties are not made so strong by battles alone. We had all truly connected. Now we border on an edge. Will Ryo’s loss break those bonds?’

“You see him in your dreams, his body fills your vision.” Shin’s quiet voice broke Seiji’s thoughts with a cold stunning affect. Shin’s eyes were grave with his serious tone; neither would be expected of him, but fit with ease enough to remind the blond that Shin was indeed the oldest among them.

Seiji nodded soundlessly, his voice lost in his shock. He was grateful that Shin gave him a moment before continuing, giving him time enough to suppress the images that tried to surface upon their mentioning.

“And a chilling touch that reaches beyond the physical. Soul to soul.”

Again Seiji could only nod, voiceless still. “How?” he managed, uncaring of the slight stutter. His chest felt unnaturally light and it left him feeling ill; perhaps breakfast before this talk wasn’t such a good idea after all.

“I’m seeing, feeling it too Seiji. And I don’t think it’s just me picking it up from you. It would be revealing itself in a different manner, my mind or subconscious would interpret it differently.” Shin shook his head. “But that doesn’t give us an explanation on why we’re sharing the same dream, nor waking from it together.” That gave Seiji pause. “How….”

Shin smiled sadly. “I feel your emotions,” he spared the blond the word terror, “when you wake. I want to say it is in part what is waking me, though I can’t be certain. I feel you there in the dream almost, not like you’re right there with me but…but something similar. I can’t put words to it though.” He shook his head in mild frustration. But he didn’t continue, seeing Seiji nod once.

“I think I understand Shin. I know things such as these are hard to express with words.” His lips twitched, “I frustrate Touma to no end with that fact.” That caused them both to laugh.

“I can well imagine,” Shin agreed, expression bemused. Seiji found himself pleased that he’d chased some of the hardness from the edges of the elder boy’s eyes.

They fell into a comfortable silence then, slowly easing back into the topic that brought them there. Shin broke this silence while looking out the window, his soft voice almost lost to Seiji.

“Maybe we should kick them out.” He spoke slowly, watching Touma and Shu outside rough-housing with Jun as if it were something they had always done. He knew Shu had younger siblings so perhaps it wasn’t so unusual. “I know Shu’s started staying awake to watch me, to try and wake me before the dreams turn. He’s going to make himself sick though, trying to hide it on top of everything.” Shin turned to look at Seiji then, expression serious and yet soft. “I’m sure Touma’s doing the same. They’re leaning on each other to get through this while trying to support us.” “That’s why Touma wasn’t pushing so hard that I talk to him so long as I do talk,” Seiji realized, his surprise apparent in his eyes and the ease in his demeanor. Shin had that affect on people, managing to create a feeling of ease or comfort to lower one’s barriers without their knowledge prior to.

Shin nodded, his lips twitching. “Shu wasn’t quite as polite about it I’m sure, but he meant the same. Even if they can’t talk to us, they can go to each other. That also makes it easier on them, knowing that we’re not comfortable going to them. We’re not upsetting them for that reason; that much they understand.”

Seiji just blinked at the brunette. Then he laughed and shook his head, a small smile of his own breaking out. “How is it you know me so well without me having to say a word? To know my fears before even I do?”

Shin’s smile turned to a secretive smirk. “We all have our talents Seiji.”

The sense of their laughter was carried down to the two warriors wrestling in the grass, giving distraction enough for the youngest child to get the upper hand on them. Both blue-haired boys looked up to the closed window with a shared sense of ease, comforted by the rare peace that laughter spread.


To be Continued....