Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To Remember ❯ The Queen ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
TO REMEMBER


Chapter 1: The Lady-Queen

Tintagel-
Bion-


On the banks of the Udir River there was a small house made of red bricks and moss-covered stone. It was round and squat, looking very much like a mushroom, with great tendrils of creeping vines winding their way around and over the house. It was a comfortable, homey sort of house, with just enough room for two or three people to live in, if they were small. Fortunately, imps were quite small.

A knock at the door woke Bion and he stirred groggily in his sleep only to hear a sweet voice whisper,

“Don’t go.”

“I have to.” Bion yawned and rolled over, out of bed, leaving his mate curled under the blankets. He hated being woken in the middle of the night and swore that if this was some neighbor come to borrow something, he would slice their throat on the spot. Of course, then he’d have to hide the body. No sense in upsetting Jildan. She was sensitive about things like that. The first time Bion had left a body on the front step, Bion feared that she’d have a fit the way she kept going on and the way she scrubbed at the blood stains on the stone step for hours. Females…go figure.

Bion dressed himself slowly, giving himself time to wake up and whoever it was at the door time to change their mind and leave. He hoped that if he took enough time, they’d loose interest and just leave, but the knocking continued and grew more urgent. Finally, exasperated, Bion went to the door and threw it open only to have his mind freeze in shock. Quickly, Bion collected himself and bowed. “Your honors.”

There were three of them, surely too many to waste on a simple imp like himself. Unless, of course, they’d tracked him from one of his previous jobs. All three wore gleaming, silvery armor and helmets with white plumes. Their faces bore the familiar, telling pallor of the aristocratic fae along with the fair eyes and full lips. The rulers of Tintagel, the fae were the most feared of all the creatures in Tintagel. Not only for their army and for the natural glamour they possessed, but for their queen.

“Bion Na Underic?”

“That’s me.” Bion stepped out of the house and closed the door behind him. They wouldn’t know about Jildan, probably, so he would keep her out of the picture for as long as possible, just in case this turned messy. “What are you here for?” No one expected manners form an imp, so Bion never bothered with them. Especially not with fae.

“You’ve been summoned to the Castle of Light by orders of her majesty, the Lady Queen Sedari. You are to come at once.”

It was a summons that Bion couldn’t ignore and couldn’t protest. “Let me tell my mate…”

One of the fae shoved his spear across the doorway behind Bion, blocking his way back into the house. “The Lady Queen insists upon your presence as soon as possible.”

“Yes. Yes, of course.” Mutely, he nodded and motioned for the queen’s soldiers to lead the way while he hoped Jildan would understand his leaving in the middle of the night. She’d forgive him as soon as she heard out his reasons. No one refused Queen Sedari.


The Castle of Light-


Even the castle had an arrogant name. Castle of Light. Who, but an arrogant fae, would think up such a foolish name. It was meant to be symbolic, that all of Tintagel would look to the castle, and the royal family, for inspiration in all aspects of life. What a load of rubbish. Who would admire the useless fae? Who would look to the mad queen for inspiration?

The room was lit softly with candles, hundreds of candles on elaborate candelabras placed around the room. Through the dim light of those candles Bion watched the dancers and hated them. The throne room itself was immense, its high ceiling rising so dramatically that the arches that lined the throne room might as well have not been there. It made no sense to Bion. Why would they have a ceiling that's only purpose seemed to be for the arches to have something to hold onto? Everything, from the stained glass ceiling to the white marble floor were opulent, designed purely for beauty and aesthetic pleasure.

'Uppity fae! Would that I could bring this hellish paradise down around their ears.' It wasn't only the throne room or the palace of the Lady-Queen, but the entire realm of Tintagel, the great city of the fae, was like this. Though they couldn't quite match her beauty, all the fae were beautiful. It was as if any ugly child were killed before anyone could see it and embarrass the unlucky parents. Beauty was what mattered in Tintagel, beauty and nothing else. 'If I had the power...' But Bion didn't have the power to topple the fae. He had power, sure enough, but not enough to match the fae. His power lay in a different vein.

They, the fae of the queen’s court, swayed to the music that Bion could only partly hear. The music came from everywhere around them, the very air was leaking music and what little he could hear, Bion tried to ignore. It was fae music and, like all things fae, it couldn’t be trusted. So he kept his eyes on the people and concentrated. He didn’t need to concentrate to fight passed the fae glamour, it didn’t effect him. Glamour was laced into the music, poisoning the air like a too heavy perfume. The powerful scent of flowers was so overbearing that it had turned into something fetid and, at that moment, Bion wished that he didn‘t have to breathe.

The fae were all masked, clad in elaborate outfits of flowing silk in pale colors. Males and females swung in each others arms, trading partners seemingly at whim while they glided across the white floor. He could hear them laughing, the women hiding their mouths behind fans and the men smirking darkly. Their secrets were hidden behind those masks and, frankly, Bion didn’t want anything to do with them or their secrets. He was here on business and as far as he was concerned, the sooner the business was done, the better.

He took a deep breath and started through the crowds of dancers, deliberately not looking up at the taller fae around him. He was shorter than anyone else in the room but that was only natural as imps were small by nature. He was really nothing like them. His skin was dark green, almost black. It was the color of rotting seaweed. His hair was tied into long braids, as was the tradition with the imp men. His body was very thin, like a dressed up skeleton. For this occasion, he wore fabric, not the usual leather he preferred. The guards who’d escorted him to the doors of the throne room had made a detour shortly before arriving and took Bion to a little room where he’d found a new set of clothes waiting, tailored exactly to his size. Of course the Lady-Queen would have thought of that. It was to placate the fae who would see him. They all abhorred the idea of wearing dead animal skin. Even through the thin slippers he’d been provided with, Bion could feel the cold floor on the soles of his feet and he wished for his tough leather boots. The floor was icy cold, unlike the too warm air. Everything about this place was uncomfortable.

There was a fae watching him. Blatantly staring, she wore no mask and watched him with eyes unclouded by the lassitude that seemed to infect every other fae in the room. She was also the only one not dancing.

Bion frowned. She looked very much like any other fae, fair hair and skin, but she wasn’t dancing. In fact, she looked rather cross.

“Ah, there you are.”

Bion didn’t spin around when he heard the voice, but his attention did shift away from the woman watching him. The Lady-Queen was more vital to pay attention to. He believed that a big reaction was what she wanted and, therefore, he didn’t do it. It wasn’t anything she could punish him for without looking foolish herself, so he enjoyed his minor act of defiance. “You invited me, Lady-Queen. How could I not show?” Then he turned to face her and found the Lady-Queen of the fae lounging on the floor, leaning up against a fae male. At least, Bion believed it was male. They sat on a set of short steps leading down into the room and the Lady-Queen’s long legs were stretched out in front of her, bare from the knees down and with only a pair of soft slippers on her feet.

“How very kind of you. I’ve heard much about you, Bion na Underic. They say you are the best at what you do. You are the best retriever.” She reached back, over her shoulder, and stroked the cheek of the male she was reclining against. The male made a soft groaning sound and closed his eyes, as if her very touch was the height of ecstasy. Perhaps it was ecstasy. Who could tell what effect the queen’s touch would have. Glamour leaked from her body like a polluting sludge and the male was, no doubt, getting the full force of her power. Did she even realize what she was doing to him? Did she care?

“They are quite right, Lady-Queen. Your soldiers told me you wanted to speak in private. I’d hardly call this private.” He glanced around at the dancers and felt ill at ease. Something was very wrong. It was all so beautiful on the surface. Pale silk and pristine white walls and floor. Brilliant flowers of every color imaginable decorated the room. The delicate music that came from everywhere and nowhere. Everything was beautiful…on the surface. Bion could feel something deeper…something darker. It lurked under all the beauty, hidden behind the glamour of the fae. Bion could see that dark secret most clearly when he turned back to Lady-Queen Sedari and met her eyes. He quickly averted his eyes.

“Perhaps you are right.” She stood gracefully and walked away from her indolent lover without so much as a word and he, for his part, barely noticed as he was still too lost in whatever world of pleasure she had put him in. The dancers parted for her, even while they danced. They slid easily out of her way and then back to where they’d been, as if it were all part of one designed dance.

Bion was given no such consideration and was left to make his way passed the fae, trying to keep up with Lady-Queen. He had to dart between the dancing couples as well as small groups of people laughing and holding each other. There were people at the walls, half-hidden behind in the shadows on little, intimate sofas and, as Bion made his way to the Lady-Queen, he saw a large sunken area filled with pillows where lovers gathered. He looked away and kept his mind on the reason he’d come to this damned place.

Fae power.

By the time he caught up with her, Lady-Queen Sedari was sitting on her throne.

It wasn’t actually a ballroom, despite appearances. It was the throne room of the fae. The eternal Lady-Queen, sitting on her golden throne, as delicate as a spider web, by way of long dead artisans who'd so careful crafted the royal seat. It was truly worthy of the Lady-Queen, matching her ageless beauty. The Lady-Queen was an indescribable beauty, though even that seemed to mild a term. Her hair was the color of flax and piled high on her head in ornate curls and braids. Her eyes reminded one of the color of a winter sky and her skin was flawlessly fair. Physically, there wasn't a single sign of imperfection.

Physically, that is, according to most people. Frankly, Bion thought all fae were more than a little repulsive. All that white skin…ugg.

“Exactly how successful are you?” Queen Sedari made it sound like a question, but she already knew his reputation. She had to know or she wouldn’t have sent for him.

Bion would play this game if she wished it. “You won’t find a retriever with a better success rate than mine. If you’ve lost something, then I can find it.” He knew it wouldn’t be so easy. The Lady-Queen wouldn’t have sent for someone like him without very good reason. She wouldn’t have called him if she’d lost a trinket.

There was a look of want in her eyes when she leaned forward, resting her hands on her knees. "I would have him back. My dearest Ari. You will retrieve him and bring him here." The Lady-Queen Sedari said, her tone regal and imperious. She knew Bion wouldn’t disobey her, not for what she was offering and not for what she could do to him if he did refuse. "He's been gone from me for so long. My poor darling, he must miss me so."

Bion felt faint, but then steeled himself. Ari. Of course. What else would be so important to her that the Lady-Queen would lower herself to hiring an imp?

"My Ari will be found on Earth. I’m not sure where, but you will have to search amongst the humans for him.”

Of course Bion had heard of Ari. Everyone knew of Ari. The name was legendary to all those who knew anything about the fae and their Lady-Queen. How long ago the Lady-Queen had gone to Earth, as many fae do, and how she encountered a child. The child who had captured her attention and didn’t let go. She’d visited him almost daily for a great long, much to the shame of her father. Princess Sedari would return to the court nightly and expound on the virtues of her new child friend. She adored him and would tell anyone who listened that she would make him her king. Then, for no apparent reason, princess Sedari returned to the court in a rage. Ari had reached a suitable age for courtship and had rejected princess Sedari’s advances. King Vengon had died that night and rumors spread that the princess had murdered him, though no one could find any reason or proof. It was whispered that she’d begged her father to give her permission to steal Ari and bring him to Tintagel and he refused and rebuked her arrogance and selfish desire. Once Lady-Queen Sedari had the power to do as she pleased, Ari had vanished and was never seen again.

“Thousands of years must have passed since you last saw him.”

“How clever of you to guess. It has been slightly more than two thousand years.” Queen Sedari was still smiling and that made it hard to see her as a murderess. “You may find him in the company of a dhampire called Kujuurou. My last agent saw them in company together, but that was many years ago. I presume they are still in company together because the dhampire has not yet returned to his sire, a master of great age and power. In fact, neither of them has been seen in many, many years."

"I suppose you've been spying on the vampire master?"

"Yes."

The answer surprised even Bion who was used to serving the strange desires of those in power and had only asked the question half in jest. To spy on any vampire, let alone a vampire master, was dangerous business. They weren't like other Earth creatures. Vampires had the talent to 'sense' when fae were present and they were quite willing and able to fight. Not only that, but most vampires were able to resist glamour quite easily. Rumor said that the vampires had even more power than anyone realized, but that was never confirmed. "And your agent survived this assignment?" Bion raised an eyebrow.

"That's not really your concern, is it?" Queen Sedair had to be one of the most single-minded females to ever have been created and Bion felt a surge of pity for this Ari she was looking for. He would be found, no matter where he was hiding and he would be delivered into the Lady-Queen’s hands. Not a pleasant doom.

"My Lady-Queen," Bion said doubtfully, as common sense hit him sounded over the head like a mallet. "This man you're searching for, Ari, was mortal more than two thousand years ago. He's dead and, even for me, it's REAL hard to bring someone dead back to life.”

"Your insolent mouth will be the death of you one day." It was the first sign of displeasure and at her words the dancing stopped. Bion was strangely happy. All that unending dancing was starting to get on his nerves. If only they’d stop the music, too. “He is mine and I will have him. I won’t allow death to claim what is mine.”

"Just trying to enlighten this ever so cheery subject with logic, my Lady-Queen. Human's don't live thousands of years. They're lucky to span a few decades with those frail bodies of theirs. How can you ask the impossible and expect results?"

Lady-Queen, tall and stately, dressed in her sheer robes of pale pink, rose from her throne and stepped down to look closer at the kneeling Bion. "I can ask the impossible because you are well-known for getting results, imp. I trust that you won’t fail as your predecessor did.”

“Predecessor? How many people have you had searching for him before me?“

She smirked. “Two thousand years, did you say? Did you believe that I had been idle all that time? You may be the best at this time, but you weren’t always. Everyone before you has failed. Don’t make that mistake. I will have Ari." Her voice, which would have been sweet if it weren't for the terrible hateful quality of it, hardened even more than usual as she spoke the infamous name. "And when I have him, I'll make him wish he'd never left me. My darling Ari. You‘ll be well paid for your efforts. Return Ari to me and I‘ll give you a third of my treasury. No one could call me stingy with that incentive."

There was a murmur in the crowd behind Bion, but he kept focus on Lady-Queen Sedari. The murmur died down very quickly, but at that moment someone brushed by Bion and staggered toward Queen Sedari. It was the male she’d been with when Bion had first seen her, the masked lover. He seemed to still be half in a stupor and tripped when he started up the steps to Lady-Queen Sedari’s throne. When he fairly crawled to her with an idiotic smile of happiness on his face. When he reached her, he was on his knees and reached out, touching the hem of her gown. “My Lady-Queen…my love…”

“You dare?” Queen Sedari snarled and glowered at the adoring male.

All of a sudden, the male fell with a scream of agony. He held his head with both hands and rolled down the steps. He came to a stop just feet from Bion, but kept screaming. He screamed so loudly that it echoed off the walls. His body was ridged and curled up like an infant. His mask had fallen off during the fall and his face was ruined by the expression of pain and fear he wore. His fingernails dug into his scalp until Bion could see blood mingled with the white-blonde hair. It was painful just to listen to it, but no one moved to help him. Not even Bion who kept his eyes on the feet of Queen Sedari. It wasn’t his business. There was nothing he could do to help, anyway.

When the male stopped screaming and just stared into empty space with an expression of terror, Queen Sedari waved a negligent hand. “Have him taken away. He disrupts my mood. You will succeed, won’t you, imp?”

Bion bowed his head. "If Ari lives, I will bring him to you, Lady-Queen."

“No. You will bring him back if you have to drag his cold bones to me.”

There was a moment of silence and Bion forced himself to keep his eyes on the floor even as a chill danced up his spine. People, guards, most likely, had come forward and lifted up the limp, staring fae. They silently carried him away, passed the dancers, and out of the throne room. “Yes, Lady-Queen.” There were such terrible things one could do to the dead.

Even worse fortune for doomed Ari.

“This is what he looked like the last time I saw him.“ She held out a hand and just above her hand appeared a not-quite-solid image of a young man with pale skin and long white hair. His eyes were blue as ice. “My agent who saw him last reported that he now wears an eye patch.“ And at that, the young man’s left eye was covered with a black patch. The Lady-Queen smiled sweetly and closed her fist around the image of the young, white-haired man. “Oh, and I’ve heard of your mate’s delicate condition. Give her my regards.”

Bion felt cold again, but thanked the Lady-Queen for her kind thoughts and left quietly. It was a subtle threat, but a threat nonetheless. If he failed, Jildan and the baby would suffer.


Back home-


Now…how to tell Jildan?

Bion made his way home slowly and without the armed escort that had escorted him to the Castle of Light, trying to think of what he would tell Jildan. This had come at the worst possible time. As if there was ever a good time for this job. It was utterly impossible and equally impossible to refuse. So Bion came to his home and he stood by the slow river for a long while, just watching his home. There was a light on, which meant that Jildan was awake. He was sorry to see that. She must have woken and found him missing. She’d probably been worrying all this time. The last thing he wanted to do was cause her to worry, especially in her state.

He was tempted to just leave. If he wanted to, he could turn on his heel and walk away to get the job done as best as he could. He couldn’t, though. The thought of leaving Jildan alone for so long was hard to bear. It was even harder when he thought about the fact that she would probably have the baby while he was gone. If she thought he’d just up and left her, she might miscarry or, worse, eat the baby. Stress had made more than one imp mother eat her newborn.

“Where have you been?!” Jildan demanded the moment Bion walk in. “I was so worried when I woke up and you were gone, you didn’t even tell me where you were going!” Jildan was the most beautiful creature Bion had ever met. Her brown hair was thick and coarse, her skin dark as mud. Her small eyes were black, the best of all colors, and she was very sturdily built, not like those scrawny fae women. She was as tall as he was, but thicker around the middle. She had a deliciously big bottom.

Bion sighed and wrapped his arms around her. Imp females were much bigger than their male counterparts, but that was what made them so beautiful. “There’s not much time.” Jildan’s engorged stomach was between them and Bion imagined he could feel the unborn child’s heartbeat between them. When he held Jildan as close as he could, he inhaled her scent and knew the baby would be a girl. His daughter. His only child and he might not live long enough to hold her. “I’m going to be gone for a while. Probably quite a long while.”

“What are you talking about?” Jildan pulled away a little and looked at him, curiously. “What’s gotten into you?”

“I have to leave.” It hurt to even say the words.

Jildan went very still. “Leaving? Why?”

“I got a job.”

“Refuse it.” She didn’t even know what the job was, but already, she didn’t like it. “I know that look in your eyes. Whatever it is, don’t do it if it worries you so.”

“It’s not that easy.”

“Since when?”

“The job is for the Lady-Queen.”

Jildan looked away from him and her little ears trembled with agitation.

“Now, don’t upset yourself.” He patted her hair and licked her cheek to reassure her. “I’ll be back. She’s promised great reward at the end of this job. I can keep you and our daughter in a manner fit for nobles.” He managed a smile. “Imagine. A house where you can see the stars every night. I’ll have a fine gown made for you when I return, something fancy with lace on the sleeves. A dozen gowns.”

His soft words didn’t appease Jildan’s anxiety. “Money and fancy clothes? Bion, they’ll do us no good if you die!” She almost wailed and wrung her hands together. “Why would she promise so much? What is this job…oh!“ She gasped when realization stuck. “Ari. She has you looking for Ari.“ Jildan had always been very clever and that she’d picked up on the details of the job so quickly didn’t surprise Bion at all. Really, anyone could have guessed. The Lady-Queen was so obsessed with her long dead human love that it was nearing legendary status in the gossip around Tintagel. “How many have died already?! I’ve heard of eleven people she’s sent to search for Ari and not one of them has come back alive. Why you?“

“Because I’m the best.“ It wasn’t an idle boast. It was the truth. “The Lady-Queen must be desperate to hire an imp.” The people she’d sent before calling for Bion had all been fae. Tall and strong fae with their superior weapons and the glamour at their disposal. Each one of them had failed. If the Lady-Queen had any wisdom, she’d have called him long ago and those others wouldn’t have had to die.

“You’re going to Midgard!”

“The humans call it Earth, now.”

“I don’t care what the humans call it, you can’t go there! You’ll be killed! You know how dangerous it is there and it‘s all for this impossible job. You‘ll never find him. He’s been dead for thousands of years!” Her eyes grew wide with fright, making Bion feel guilty, even though it wasn’t his fault and there was nothing he could do to change the situation. “She’s sending you on a suicide mission. If you don’t find him, she’ll kill you and you can‘t find him, because he’s dead.!” Tears welled in her eyes and her thick fingers clutched at Bion’s coat.

“I won’t die, ‘Dan. I swear I’ll come home. The Lady-Queen has told me that if I can‘t find him, to bring his body back to the Castle of Light. All I have to do if find his corpse.” Everyone knew the legends of Ari, the ancient prophet warrior. Everyone knew he could foresee the future and that he was a terrible adversary. Was it possible that he’d foreseen the Lady-Queen seeking out his corpse and had hidden himself so well that no one would ever find it? Ari also had mysterious magic that led him to always win in battle, though Bion thought that had more than a little to do with his precognition. But he was long dead and there was no danger from Ari. The only danger lay in the Lady-Queen. “Dying is not part of my plans.”

Still, Jildan didn’t look in the remotest big happy. She scowled at him, but didn’t let go of his coat. “Finding a two thousand year old body isn’t going to be any easier than finding a single human out of many. No one ever found him after he disappeared, did they?”

“Actually, the Lady-Queen said something about one of her men having seen Ari not too long ago, just a few hundred years.” He thought about mentioning the fact that he’d been seen with a dhampire, but that would only make Jildan worry more and it wouldn’t sure any purpose.

“That’s not possible. He was human.”

“I agree. Frankly, I think someone’s been dipping a little too deep into the dust, if you catch my meaning.” He passed it off lightly, enough to get at least a little grin from Jildan. “You get some rest, now. Make sure you call in one of your friends if I’m not back in a few days. I don’t want you alone.” He kissed her then and rubbed his cheek against hers. “I’ll be as fast as I can.”

Jildan grabbed his arm when he turned to leave and whispered, “Remember, you promised. You have to come back.”


To be continued…