Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ To Remember ❯ Accident ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Dear readers, all that I know and, therefore, all that Seiji knows about Wicca comes from books and the internet. I have studied a little about it, but by no means am I an expert. Please forgive any mistakes. I don’t mean to offend any real practitioners of Wicca.



Chapter 7: Accident


Ningen Sekai-
Touma-


The choice as to who would escort Touma to the psychiatric hospital was made almost as soon as Seiji’s car pulled away from the curb. When Shin’s moms came out of the house to greet them, his okaasan gave Shin a quick kiss on the cheek, but went to Touma and took his arm. “You wanted to visit your father, didn’t you? Why don’t you come with me and we’ll get that out of the way. You’re staying for a full week? That’ll give you plenty of time to relax for the rest of the week.”

Shin frowned at his okaasan and even Touma was puzzled. She wasn’t normally so pushy.

“There’s no hurry, Mouri-san.” Touma told her. He didn’t want her to think she had to rush off just for him.

“How many times do I have to tell you? Call me okaasan Akane! You’re practically family.”

“Yes, okaasan Akane.” She had told him many times, but it was hard to get used to. When he thought of okaasan, there had always before just been a kind of blank spot in his memory. He couldn’t even remember his mother.

“Akane!” Shin’s mum, Jenny, admonished as she walked up with a slower pace. “Let them come in and set their bags down, at least. Touma, dear, you don’t have to hurry away like that.” Like Shin, her Japanese had gotten much better since Touma had first met her. He’d always liked Shin’s mum. She was a sweet, earthy soul. Not as beautiful as Shin’s okaasan, but she had a heart of gold.

“But, my dear,” Okaasan Akane didn’t let go of Touma’s arm. “He hasn’t got a bag. He’s staying with a friend tonight, remember. Besides, the hospital visiting hours will be over soon and I’m sure you have a lot you want to tell, Shin-chan, right?”

To that, Shin’s mum had the strangest reaction. She went a little pale and reached out, grabbing her wife’s hand. “Wait! I’m not doing this alone!”

“No. You discussed it. Touma needs to see his father. You need to talk to Shin. If you want to wait for me, wait till this evening when I come back. I won’t have you going to that hospital, not in your condition.” Okaasan Akane kissed her cheek and pulled her hand free. “Come along, Touma.”

Shin hadn’t even had a chance to say a word, but as Touma let okaasan Akane lead him away he looked at Shin over his shoulder and thought, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT’S GOING ON?

NOPE. Shin was walking inside with his mum and his concern radiated through the link. I’LL LET YOU KNOW. JUST GO WITH OKAASAN. I’M SURE EVERYTHING’S FINE.

“You show remarkable restraint, Touma. Aren’t you going to ask?”

Okaasan Akane’s words brought Touma back to reality and he looked down at her. She was still the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen and that was a real compliment considering he was comparing her to Nasutei, too. “If you wanted me to know, I guess you’d tell me.”

“But I do want you to know. Let’s take a taxi, alright? I hate using the bus. Sorry, the car’s in the shop. I suppose I’ll have to buy a new one pretty soon. It’s not really a secret. I just thought Shin and his mum should be alone when she told him the news. You see, he’s going to be a big brother.”

Touma stopped walking so abruptly that Akane’s arm hit his in the head accidentally. He stared at her. “Seriously?”

“Seriously. Modern science is a wonderful thing, don’t you agree?”

A baby. A real baby in the family. Touma’s first reaction was to open up his mind to the others and he must have had remarkable timing because just at that moment, he felt Shin’s amazed and delighted reaction. It burst into his mind like a flower blossoming and left him with a giddy, light-headed feeling of glee. The emotion ran through not only Touma, but through the rest of them. Seiji and Ryou were still driving when both of them felt Shin’s immense joy and Xiu, pouting in his room about something, asked, WHAT HAPPENED? WHAT’S GOING ON?

A BABY! MUM’S GONNA HAVE A BABY! Shin’s shouted mind-voice was like a tidal wave, washing around them and nearly drowning them in his happiness. I’M A BIG BROTHER! He was probably crying, he sounded so happy.

“Touma? Touma-kun? What’s wrong?” Okaasan Akane had him by both arms and had been shaking him, but Touma had been so caught up in what Shin was feeling that he hadn’t noticed. “Do you feel alright? We can go back, if you don’t feel up to this.”

“No, no.” Touma shook his head and strengthened the barriers around his mind to close out Shin, at least a little. He was glad for Shin, but all that happiness was just a little too distracting. “I’m fine. Shin…he’s just so happy. She just told him. Wow.” Touma smiled and blinked back some tears. “If you were worried about him being upset, you were completely in the wrong vein. Oh…umm…” He was unprepared for the puzzled look she gave him. Whoever said he was smart, really must have been insane. “Well, it’s all part of the whole yoroi thing. Ya know? Telepathy.”

“Oh.” She blinked then managed a strained smile. “Sorry. I’m afraid I really don’t understand all that much about it. You tried so hard to explain it, but it’s hard to believe.”

“It’s true. I promise.”

“Touma-kun, I did see the yoroi, remember? You and Shin showed them off when you first got them. It’s not your honesty I’m doubting. I know you wouldn’t lie to us, but…it’s still hard to accept. I wish I understood more so I could be sure you were safe.” She looked so worried that Touma was tempted to lie to her.

“You shouldn’t worry. We’re doing pretty well.” If he wanted to lie, he’d have told her that of course they were safe and that there was nothing dangerous about the yoroi at all. “We take care of each other and you wouldn’t believe how strong we are. There’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“I’m a mother, young man. I’ll worry regardless.” They set off and once they were in the taxi, the yoroi weren’t mentioned again. They talked about little things until they reached the psychiatric hospital. The weather, a new newspaper boy who kept throwing the Sunday paper in the bushes, a present for Shin’s birthday, and a vacation Jenny was planning to England for their anniversary. “Here we are.” She announced when the taxi pulled up in front of the big iron gates of the hospital. While they waited for the guard to come out of the guardhouse to open the gates, okaasan Akane gave Touma an even look. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

“No, but I think I have to.”

The hospital was white and very neat. The grass was bright, healthy green, neatly trimmed with red and white flowers along the driveway and the narrow walkway around the building. The building itself was white and every window in the building was decorated with green curtains. Just behind those curtains, though, Touma could see bars on the windows and he was glad.

Okaasan Akane was quiet when they left the cab and started up the driveway. If she could feel Touma’s unease, she thought it best not to interrupt his thoughts. Instead, when they reached the tall front grates and the guard came out to meet them, she spoke for Touma, telling the man their business.

“I’ll need to check your ID, Mouri-san.” He obviously recognized her, Touma was sure she hadn’t given her name, but that was only to be expected. She was rather famous, after all. He returned from the guardhouse moments later with her license in hand and opened the gate for them. “You’ll have the excuse the security, ma’am. It’s just protection, you understand. For visitors and for the patients.” His eyes wandered to Touma, then back to Shin’s okaasan. “You’ll have to wait in the main lobby for a doctor and he’ll tell you if a visit’s a good idea today. Sometimes the patients have good days and bad days.”

“We understand. Thank you for the help. Come along, Touma.”




Leaving the hospital was no different than getting in, though Touma really didn’t think much about it. He was too lost in his own thoughts and what had just seen.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really. Wait here, I’ll get a cab.” It was one thing to talk to okaasan Akane about the weather and school. He didn’t want to talk about his emotions, not at a time like this. So Touma left her by the bench just outside the hospital gates and went to the street corner to hail a taxi. His mind, however, wasn’t on the cars rushing passed. His mind was on the little pale green interview room he and okaasan Akane had waited in until his father had been brought in. They hadn’t been left alone. An orderly, a massive man with arms like tree trunks, had stood just inside the door the whole time, so it wasn’t as if they could talk about anything private.

Touma turned when he felt a hand on his shoulder and there was okaasan Akane looking at him so compassionately, that it almost hurt. “What’s wrong?”

She didn’t even try to smile. “Touma, dear, come and sit. The taxi can wait.”

There was no arguing with okaasan Akane, Shin had once told him. Though she was small and delicate, the woman was made of steel. Touma followed her back to the bench and sat next to her, slumping down. For once, she didn’t reprimand him for bad posture. “I don’t really feel like talking, okaasan Akane. I’ll talk to Shin when we get back.” YOUR OKAASAN’S FEELING PUSHY. He told Shin.

WHO DO YOU THINK TAUGHT ME? JUST TALK TO HER. IT’S EASIER THAT WAY.

“Are you talking to your friends again?” Okaasan Akane asked, curiously. “You seem to get a far-away look in your eyes when you do.”

“Telepathy’s cool, huh?” He managed a laugh for her sake. There wasn’t anything to be depressed about, really. He knew his dad was sick, so seeing him like that shouldn’t have been a big deal. “It can be a pain. Shin likes to meddle. Did I ever tell you that? In school, he used to bully us all the time. Even Seiji and that takes balls.” He remembered who he was talking to and looked away. “Sorry.”

“What for? You think I’ve never heard coarse language before?”

“Seiji would smack me for talking like that in front of a lady. Even Xiu might. Anyway, Shin knows almost everything that happens to me, they all do. I can tell you right now, Shin’s looking over that new nursery with his mum. Seiji’s at his place helping grandfather Date make dinner. Xiu’s not very happy with his papa, but that’s nothing new, lately. Ryou’s talking to some weird guy and in about two seconds, if he doesn’t get away, Seiji’s going to go charging to the rescue.”

ONLY IF THAT JACK LUNG CREATURE DOESN’T GET AWAY FROM HIM. Seiji replied, trying to sound calm. FILTHY PERVERT.

I’M FINE. Ryou’s words flew back at them. SEE, I’M LEAVING, NOW. HE DIDN’T DO ANYTHING. But Ryou’s feelings of discomfort and unease at the memories meeting Jack Lung were bringing back didn’t do much to reassure any of them.

“What is it this time?” Okaasan Akane asked.

“Just…things. The guys were talking. You see how it is. We can’t keep out of each other’s thoughts unless we do it deliberately and that takes a lot of concentration. It’s all because of the yoroi. I wonder if it really was all coincidence.”

“All of what?”

“Well, it is kinda odd that we were possessed by the yoroi. We were all friends before it even came along. You know we didn’t even have any friends outside our little group and close family. Seiji never trusted anyone other than Xiu, Shin, and me before Ryou came along. Shin once told me he never had a single friend before he came to Japan and he met us. Xiu’s really friendly, but he doesn’t associate with other people. Ryou’s got almost a phobia of being around people outside our group. I can tell you, looking at their minds and knowing myself, none of us even want outside friends. We only need each other.” He looked back at her and saw the frown. “Sorry. I talk too much.”

“It just worries me, that’s all. Shin’s my son and you’re as dear to me as if you were my own flesh and blood. I’m very fond of your other friends, too. I’m just wondering if it’s healthy to think that way.”

“It hasn’t got anything to do with thinking. It’s about feeling. It feels right. We all love our families and there’s Nasty and Jun, too. It’s not like we’re completely isolated. It’s just that we don’t feel the need to go out and find more friends.” Well, Xiu had seemed happy to see that guy outside the Phoenix Rising. What was his name?

MICHAEL. Xiu answered, sharply.

WHAT’S WRONG?

I’LL TELL YOU LATER. DON’T WORRY.

“And what about Nasutei-san, the woman you’re all living with. Yes, how is she treating you?”

“Very well. Shin said you might get all over-protective. Jun’s a nice kid, too. You’d like him. Without them, I don’t think we could have won the war. Nasty always knew everything about the youja and the ma-sho and Jun was such a good little cheerleader. He had the Jewel of Life and that was a big factor in defeating Emperor Arago.”

A hand landed on Touma’s arm and he looked up, shocked at the touch. He hadn’t thought there was anyone around but okaasan. There she was. Soft blonde curls. Bright red lipstick. Eager blue eyes that matched Touma’s. “Hello, Touma-kun. It’s been a long time.”

“Mom?”


Ryou-


Xiu wouldn’t say a word about what had made him so upset the entire way to Seiji’s home, but some thoughts kept running across his mind. He saw Michael and he saw a roomful of people all sitting around a table at the Phoenix Rising. The only thing he didn’t see was what all this had to do with Xiu being angry. It couldn’t be Michael. Xiu had been so happy to see Michael the first time. Maybe it was those people. Then again, maybe papa Faun had said something about Seiji. That was enough to always set Xiu off.

“I thought Touma’s mom left the family when he was real little.”

Xiu nodded, looking more displeased by the moment. Touma wasn’t even trying to disguise the distress he was feeling. “She did. I didn’t even think he remembered her. What does that woman want?”

Ryou had no answer, he’d obviously never met the woman, but he didn’t like what Touma was feeling at that moment any better than Xiu did. The shock and wariness of having his life being up heaved, again. He was just getting used to being part of the Mouri family and now his runaway mom had decided to make a dramatic appearance? It wasn’t fair. “You think we should go find him? The hospital isn’t that far away.”

“Naw. Shin’s okaasan can take care of him and he’ll ask if he needs help. I think it’s all shock, now. We’ll go get Shin first. He’ll want to help on the daring rescue, anyway.” SHIN, ARE YOU STILL AT HOME?

I’LL MEET YOU AT THE THIRD OF JINJOPO. Shin’s reply was instant and everyone got the suddenly image of Shin’s kissing his mum good-bye and rushing out of the house. TOUMA’S WORRIED. HIS MOM HEARD HIM TALKING TO OKAASAN ABOUT THE YOROI.

SO? Ryou didn’t see the point. Most people wouldn’t believe that sort of thing. He certainly wouldn’t if he wasn’t involved in the whole thing.

SO, SHE’S A REPORTER. SHE’S LIKELY TO PUT EVERYTHING DOWN IN WRITING.

SHE CAN’T! Xiu protested. NO ONE’S GOING TO BELIEVE A STORY LIKE THAT. THEY’LL THINK IT’S ALL FANTASY.

NOT IF SHE CAN GET PROOF. Shin’s doom filled thoughts were depressing for all of them.

For the first time in ages, Seiji spoke. IF SHE CAN GET TOUMA TO PROVE IT, TO SHOW HER THE ORB, WE COULD ALL BE IN TROUBLE. SHE COULD GET PHOTOS. The idea of being at the center of such a potential circus clearly terrified Seiji. SHE’LL HARASS NASTY. Seiji paused. I’M IN THE CAR NOW. WAIT AT THIRD AND JINJOPO. I’LL MEET YOU THERE IN FIVE MINUTES.

Normally, Ryou knew, it took twenty minutes to drive from the Date house to Jinjopo. Seiji never did have much concern for speed limits and other such inconveniences.

True to his word, Seiji pulled up at the street corner just seconds after Ryou and Xiu arrived and they sped off together.

Ryou leaned over Seiji’s shoulder. “Was it there?”

“Right where you left it.” Seiji answered.

Xiu frowned at them. “What are you talking about?”

“My sword. I left it under Seiji’s bed.”

“Why?”

“It’s special and I didn’t want it broken or lost during the war.” Ryou thought of the sword, fondly. He remembered his mother sitting with him on the rocking chairs outside the cabin admiring it. “The Ryouken was beautiful. I think it was probably the most expensive thing we ever owned.”

Xiu blinked at Ryou, Touma’s plight momentarily forgotten. “You named a sword after yourself?”

“No. I was named after the sword. Mom was REAL fond of it.”


Touma-


“But, Touma-san, I know what I heard.”

Touma wanted nothing more than to flag down a cab with okaasan Akane and leave, but…on the other hand…she was his mom. “Uh…mom…?”

She moved from behind him to sit next to him on the bench. She didn’t so much as glance at okaasan Akane when she pushed her way between them, shoving okaasan Akane off the bench. “Touma-san, you must tell mother what’s been happening. Yoroi? Youja? I come here to see your father and what’s this I find? Who is Emperor Arago?” She jerked her thumb over her shoulder at okaasan Akane rudely. “You’re hanging out with an older woman telling such stories. I really must know what’s going on.”

She was beautiful. No one could deny that. She didn’t have okaasan Akane’s refined kind of perfection, but a more fashion model beauty. Her skin was tanned and her dark hair colored blond. Something about her, Touma was sure, was ugly. He didn’t like the intense way she was looking at him. The way her eyes shone or the possessive way her fingers clamped around Touma’s wrist. Most of all, he didn’t like the way she shoved okaasan Akane out of the way. But she was his mom. He’d always wanted her to come back. “Where’ve you been, mom?” The trial had made national headlines and she was a newspaper reporter. There was no way she couldn’t have known about it.

An airy laugh showed that she didn’t think much of the question or she didn’t see Touma’s concern as being very serious. “Around.” She gestured to a man Touma hadn’t noticed before. “You remember your uncle Kenji, right? Well. I suppose,” She giggled, a sound that grated on Touma’s ears. “I suppose that would be stepfather Kenji, now. Did you see what he gave me?” She shoved her hand up to Touma’s face showing off a huge, sparkling diamond right and a gold wedding band. “Lovely, isn’t it?”

No. Touma hadn’t remembered uncle Kenji. In fact, in the later days of his life with his father, Touma had begun to suspect that uncle Kenji was just another part of his dad’s ramblings and that maybe his mom had just died or left. He’d never seen a picture of uncle Kenji in any of the photo albums. It must be true, though. Uncle Kenji looked just like Touma’s dad. The same blue hair that Touma had inherited. The same nose and same wide, thin mouth. “Hi.” So, at least that part had all be true. His mom had run off with his uncle.

Uncle Kenji nodded, but said nothing. He didn’t look entirely happy.

“When I heard about your father, I thought I just had to come here and see him.”

“It’s been a year, mom.”

“Yes, well…one does get busy.”

How could Touma have nearly forgotten okaasan Akane? She proved, once again, that she was not a person to be just pushed aside.


Seiji-


“You realize I can’t flirt with you, anymore.” Seiji said it, half-joking, but it was rather disappointing. Ryou was fun to flirt with. He blushed easily and never really took it seriously.

“I’m heartbroken.” Ryou told him lightly. “You can half-way flirt, if you want. We’re only half-brothers, after all. Where is Jinjopo?” It was the fancier side of the city and Ryou had never had reason to go there before. There were no shelters here or whores on the street corners. There were men in nice suits carrying briefcases rushing around. There were immensely tall buildings made of gleaming glass. If Seiji hadn’t seen the might of the Youja-Kai and if he hadn’t been in Arago’s monstrous palace, he would be impressed. He used to be. It wasn’t all that long ago that he’d walked with his mom to the hospital where she worked.

“Not far. Just a few more blocks.” Seiji cursed loudly when they had to stop at a red light. Under the best of circumstances, he hated stop lights and this wasn’t the best of circumstances. It was strange. Normally, Seiji was very patient. He could spend a whole weekend reading a single book just to get every nuance of it. He could wait for days for the weather conditions to be just right for a spell or a ceremony. One thirty second red light could drive him bananas. “I don’t know why we’re rushing. It’s not like this is a real emergency. She can’t possibly hurt him and there’s no reason for her to try.”

Xiu tapped on the window with his fingernails impatiently. “You don’t see him walking away from her, do you? If she wants, she can take him away, I’ll bet.”

Seiji turned to Xiu sharply. “She can’t! She hasn’t even seen him since Touma was, what? Four?”

“Somewhere around there. Shin’s parents are more his parents than his mom and dad were. Hell, my mama and papa were better parents for Touma. It‘s not fair! She can’t just turn up out of the blue and take advantage of him!”

Taking advantage was right. From everything Seiji was feeling from Touma he was more vulnerable facing his estranged mother than he had been all the time they’d been battling against Arago.

Seiji quietly muttered a spell of protection for Touma, though he still wasn‘t entirely sure it would work, almost without thinking.

It was the first he’d said in a very long time.

For nearly a full year Seiji hadn’t practiced Wicca. His faith shaken by the appearance of the youri and Korin’s possession, Seiji had all but given up on what he’d fought so hard to do. He’d had to put up with his father’s mad ramblings about him being a sinner and doomed to Hell. He’d had to deal with his grandfather’s disappointment that he wouldn’t follow family tradition and be a Buddhist and his mother’s worry that he was going to end up hurt. He’d had to live for years without friends because people were afraid of him. Seiji had been so proud of himself and so devoted to what he believed in. He’d studied the few books he could find about Wicca and he’d learned spells and rituals by heart.

Somehow, the idea that energy was neutral and only used by good or evil people, seemed silly with the appearance of the insidious yoroi.

‘Or maybe it’s not so silly.’ Seiji put his hand to his throat and felt the wooden amulet under his shirt. Despite the blow to his faith, Seiji hadn’t stopped wearing is pentacle all throughout the wars and it had given him great comfort many times. Even now, just knowing that he had the pentacle made him feel a little calmer.

‘Like I know everything. It’s all the same. All part of the same circle…all connected. The yoroi, us, the youja, the ma-sho, Earth, the trees…even Arago. It’s all a circle.’ Seiji had been working on this realization for a few days and it was starting to come together for him. ‘So it’s okay. It wasn’t that I was wrong all this time, I just didn’t have all the information. The circle’s a little bigger than I thought it was.’

“You’re right.” Seiji said, at last. “She is taking advantage of him. She must know she’s hurting him. If she hasn’t seen him since he was four, she may have been looking for him. Them just coincidently meeting outside the hospital is a bit of a leap.”

Xiu glowered. “Funny she didn’t say a word to him till he mentioned the yoroi and the Youja. Don’t suppose you can do anything to her long distance, huh?”

“Don’t ask me that.” He could. Seiji knew he could do something. It wasn’t a question of IF he could. The question was WOULD he. No, he wouldn’t. “An it harm none, do what you will.” He shot a significant look at Xiu out of the corner of his eye. “Heard it before? Big rule for a witch. I don’t hurt people.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Xiu nodded. “I remember. Just this once you could think about breaking that little rule. It’s for Touma. You didn’t give it much thought during the war, after all.”

Seiji’s hand tightened on the steering wheel until his knuckles turned white. “Do NOT ask me to break it.” Xiu should know better. He knew how Seiji felt about breaking the Rede. Wasn’t it enough that he was going to feel guilty for the rest of his life about what he did during the war? When he died, Seiji knew he would have to look back on the killing he’d done while his soul rested in Summerland. While he worried about that, Seiji happened to look into the rearview mirror and noticed Ryou wasn’t paying them much attention. WHAT’S WRONG?

Ryou didn’t answer. He was staring out the window with a puzzled look.

A brother. Seiji had never imagined that he had a brother and now that he knew Ryou was his, he rather liked it. It was a shame he couldn’t flirt anymore. Still, at least this meant, as Ryou’s brother, that he could have the fun of helping Ryou to find a soul mate. Just imagine…he could help with homework and get into squabbles. Nag Ryou about anything. Teasing. ‘Wish I’d had him when we were younger. We could have had pillow fights. I suppose we still can. I think I’d rather have a pillow fight with Xiu, though.’ “Ryou. Are you even listening?”

“He walked all this way?”

There was a boy…no. A little man standing on the street corner staring at Seiji’s car. There was no mistaking it. He was staring right into Seiji’s car. “You know him?”

“At the rest stop. I met him in the woods. He can’t have walked all this way. We’ve come miles and its only been a few hours.”

The light turned green and Seiji looked away from the little man. Maybe that was his mistake. Something, Seiji wasn’t sure what, dashed out in front of the car. It might have been a child, for all that it was small. Whatever it was moved so quickly that it was nothing more than a blur of color. He thought that it might keep running, but just at the last moment it stopped right in front of the car.

There was a face and the eyes looked directly at Seiji. Intelligent eyes.

Seiji stomped on the brakes and heard the squeal of the tires against pavement. Xiu gasped in fear and automatically clutched at Seiji’s arm. Ryou yelled.

The car tumbled.


Touma-


He heard the others when they were so outraged on his behalf, but didn’t speak to them. He knew they were coming. Shin was angry, but he always seemed to be angry when it involved Touma’s family. More to the point, okaasan Akane wasn’t smiling. Strange. She was almost always happy. At least she was never angry. Now, though, as she stood next to Touma, who still sat on the bench with his mom, and there was a queer little stress line right between her eyebrows.

“I came to speak with your father.” Touma’s mom fluttered her eyelashes at him. “It’s been such a long time and I was very curious about what was going on when I saw the trial on the news. There were other things to tie up before I could come. We were on our honeymoon.” She smiled up at uncle Kenji fondly. “Then there were a few assignments for work I just couldn’t pass up. Dear Kenji had got a promotion at his work and…”

“Mom,” Touma interrupted. “Dad tried to kill me.” He could feel his heart beating too fast. “He almost killed my friend. I had to go on trial in front of the whole world. And you,” He found the words hard to choke out. “You were busy?”

She didn’t seem at all concerned about it and dismissed it aside with a wave of her hand. “Enough of that. I spoke with his doctor on the phone and she told me he was just getting in a state where he’s ready to talk to people. I thought I’d get an interview for the paper. You know, a loved-ones point of view on a man’s slow descent into madness and how the world could have overlooked it.”

Okaasan Akane put a hand on Touma’s shoulder and squeezed it. “Yes, well…if you must.” She gave a shark-like smile to Touma’s mom. “We really must be heading home.”

It made Touma’s mom look at her sharply. “I know your face, don’t I? You do look familiar. Oh, yes. You were once a famous geisha. Mouri-san.” She looked okaasan Akane up and down. “Well, age will do terrible things.”

The insult was taken with a smile and Touma admired okaasan Akane all the more for it. “Age is a wonderful achievement. It brings wisdom, something that many younger people lack.” She wasn’t even old. At most, she was maybe forty and she was still the most beautiful woman Touma had ever seen. Okaasan Akane gave Touma a light slap on the arm. “Come along, Touma-kun. The others will be worried for us.”

Touma stood without anymore urging, but so did his mom.

“No!” She put her hands possessively on Touma’s arm but glared at okaasan Akane. “You aren’t taking my son anywhere!”

Okaasan Akane took her hand off Touma’s shoulder and folded her hands in front of her, a sure sign she was gearing up for a fight. “Oh?”

“That’s right! He’s my son and now that his father’s no longer capable of looking after him, he’s mine!”

“His father hasn’t been capable of looking after him for nearly seven years. Where have you been?”

“That’s besides the point. You’re not even a relative. I’m his mother.” She said this as if it were a point of pride. “I saw you on the news during his trial.” She turned up her nose. “A lesbian couple raising my son? I don’t think so. Not only lesbian, but you’re living with a foreign woman with a child of her own. If I remember properly, that boy has his own history of problems with the law.”

Touma knew the signs of a battle. He stepped cautiously out from between the women.

“Your son calls me okaasan.” It was a low dig, but one that must have struck a nerve. Touma’s mom winced, but okaasan Akane didn’t stop there and continued the verbal assault. “My wife and I went to his trial with him. We sat with him in the hospital several times when his father was too drunk to do anything but drool on the floor and you, apparently, were pursuing your own life. For a full year, I have had legal custody of Touma-kun.” She darted one arm out and took Touma’s hand. “If you want him back so badly, you’ll have to fight for him!” She turned on her heel, still clutching at Touma’s hand and pulled him away.

“Touma!” His mom called out. “Tell me what you were talking about. What Yoroi? What youja?” He heard the clatter of her high heeled shoes just moments before she trotted up beside him and stopped them with a hand to Touma’s chest and a filthy look shot at okaasan Akane. “Just tell me. Were you serious?” She licked her lips almost nervously. “Look, tell me what’s going on and my paper will pay good money for it. Even if it’s nothing, my paper will pay for your side of the story about your father. Tell me what happened, everything.”

She only wanted to talk to him for that? Touma felt his wish to have his mother step back into his life die. She had overheard a conversation and was just interested in it for another news story.

Touma pulled away from her. “Go ask dad if you’re so curious. Hope your visit’s as pleasant as mine was.” How his dad had laughed when Touma had walked into the interview room. Dressed in the white pajamas all the patients wore with a glassy look in his eyes that bespoke of the medication he’d taken. He’d muttered and mumbled until drool ran down his chin about what a bad boy Touma was for leaving him before he’d broken down in tears begging…screaming…for forgiveness. Whom he was asking, Touma really wasn’t sure.

It was then that the fear hit him. Touma stopped dead in his tracks and became oblivious to everything around him except the fear screaming at him through the link. It was over so quickly. The intense fear faded, replace by pain. Pain so awful that it overrode everything else. It bore down on Touma so badly that he fell to his knees with a cry and only his own pain of hitting the cement made him realize that it wasn’t his own pain but that of Seiji, Xiu, and Ryou that he was feeling. It woke him up enough to know that okaasan Akane was on her knees next to him and his mom was looking at him, confused.

“We…” Touma took a deep breath and tried to convince himself that it wasn’t his pain that made his throat hurt so badly. He didn’t want to think what had happened to Xiu to make his throat hurt like that. “We have to go.”

CAR ACCIDENT! Shin told him, nearly panicked. I SAW IT. I WAS TALKING TO XIU WHEN IT HAPPENED, I SAW IT ALL. SOMETHING RAN OUT IN THE STREET AND SEIJI SWERVED TO MISS IT. THE CAR ROLLED. THEY’RE HURT.

I’M COMING. BRINGING OKAASAN AKANE, TOO. There was no reason to waste time. Touma rose up, but was washed over with pain in his throat again. Xiu was awake and trying to move. Shin whispered at Xiu as gently as he could to lay still. Seiji was no help, he was barely conscious.

BLOCK YOUR MIND. Shin told Touma. MUM’S DRIVING ME THERE. I THINK YOU’RE CLOSER. THEY WERE ONLY BLOCKS AWAY FROM YOU AT A STOP LIGHT.

Of course Touma didn’t entirely block his mind, but he did the best he could to block out the worst of the pain. That left the women to deal with. Well, there was only one he wanted to deal with and the other mess could be sorted out later. Touma turned to okaasan Akane. “Do you trust me?”

“Yes, of course, but…”

“No ‘buts’. Sorry, but there’s no time.” He picked her up easily and thanked any gods that might be listening that she was so small. “Hang on. I won’t drop you, I promise.” Then, with his mom’s yell fading behind them, Touma started running.

“What’s going on?” Okaasan Akane asked as Touma picked up speed.

Turning a corner, Touma took a look over his shoulder to make sure his mom and uncle hadn’t followed. When he was sure that they were alone on the side walk he concentrated on the orb in his pocket. “You wanted to know about the yoroi, right? Well, here it is.” He called the yoroi and was almost instantly encased it in. His speed increased so suddenly that he heard okaasan Akane squeal in fright, but he didn’t dare stop. They reached the accident in mere seconds.

The accident was easy to find. Seiji’s lovely green car, his pride, was overturned and sitting half-way on the sidewalk on its roof. Seiji, was hanging upside-down in the driver’s seat. A tiny river of blood was leaking from a deep cut right in the middle of his forehead. It stained his hair an awful pink. Xiu wasn’t so lucky.

“Damned fool.” Touma felt like he couldn’t move, even though he heard the sirens in the distance and people were beginning to gather.

Okaasan Akane shook his arm. “Put me down and put that yoroi back wherever you got it from. You can’t help if everyone’s staring at you. Touma, wake up!” She slid out of his arms as soon as he relaxed enough for her to do it, but it took a bit longer for him to realize he needed to put the yoroi away before he could go near the car. The police would be there any minute. Once it was done, okaasan Akane went to the car with him.

“Damned fool.” Touma repeated when he knelt next to Xiu. “How many times do I have to tell you to wear your seatbelt?”

Xiu was awake and he blinked up at Touma. There was glass from the windshield everywhere. It was surrounding Xiu like a halo and glittered in his hair. There was no blood, but Touma was afraid. Xiu was awfully pale. His eyes had a sort of distant look. “Hey.” He could barely speak.

“Be still.” Touma tried to sound angry, but he wanted to cry. Xiu’s neck was hurt, somehow. There were other things, on the inside, that were hurt. “Look what you’ve gone and done. The three of you rushing around. You should have stayed at home!” Touma reached out as if he’d touch Xiu’s hair, but hesitated. Neck injuries were bad. Just a touch could kill Xiu. “She’s only my mom. I didn’t need you coming to the rescue.”

Xiu blinked slowly and looked around as best as he could without moving his head. “Man…this reeks. Hurts like the dickens.”

Touma almost laughed. “Just don’t do anything. I can hear the ambulance and the cops will be here soon.”

“Sei-chan. Where’s Sei? I can feel him.”

“He’s in the car.” Touma looked up to see okaasan Akane looking into the car window, trying to get the door open. “Okaasan Akane’s getting the door open. He’s got a crack on the head. You know grandfather Date’s gonna beat him for driving so fast.” Touma paused and looked up, scanning the surroundings. “Ryou?” There was no answer. “Ryou!”

“Here. D-don’t yell.” A hand, just behind Seiji‘s destroyed car, waved weakly. All Touma could see was Ryou’s hand, the rest of him was hidden behind the car. “I’m right here. Man…man…my head.” Ryou’s fingers flexed then relaxed. At least he wasn’t too badly hurt. DON’T FEEL SO GOOD. I THINK I’M GOING TO BE SICK.

Touma wanted to go to Ryou, but he didn’t quite dare to leave Xiu’s side. “The ambulance will be here soon. SEIJI DOESN’T LOOK TOO GOOD, EITHER. OKAASAN AKANE’S CHECKING ON HIM. I GUESS IT’S BEST TO LEAVE HIM UNTIL THE PARAMEDICS GET HERE.

XIU’S HURT.

YEAH.

A fire truck and the ambulance arrived with two police cruisers closer behind. The street was blocked off. Firefights rushed to the car, pushing okaasan Akane out of the way so they could pry the door off with the jaws of life.

Ryou’s hand moved, sliding out of sight. TOUMA?

YEAH? He waited a moment, but Ryou didn’t answer. HEY, ARE YOU AWAKE? Again, no answer. “Xiu, I’ll be right back. If Ryou fell asleep, he might go into shock.” But when he stood Shin’s mum pulled up to the curb, behind Seiji’s car, and Shin jumped out.

“Touma! What happened?”

Touma blinked slowly and frowned. “Is Ryou okay?”

“Huh?”

“You just walked passed him. Is he okay?”

Shin walked back the way he’d come and looked around Seiji’s car. He went all the way around, going passed his mum and okaasan watching the firefighters work then looked over the wheels of the car at Touma. Shin looked at Touma and deliberately broadcast his concern. RYOU’S NOT HERE.

I JUST SPOKE TO HIM. I SWEAR!

“Young man, please move.” One of the paramedics gently gave Touma a push. “I need to work here. Go stand with the women unless you’re hurt. Are you hurt? Were you involved in the accident?”

“No. My friend’s missing. There was a third person. Short guy with dark skin. Where is he?”

“Sorry,” The paramedic shook his head and started to work on Xiu. “There’s no one but these two.”

In that instant, Touma felt a sudden, deep agony. It was like part of his soul had been ripped out. A pain so deep he couldn’t describe it. An empty hole where Ryou should have been. One look at Shin, with one hand on his heart and one hand on his forehead, told Touma that Shin felt it, too. Shin slowly crumpled to the ground, his mothers rushing to his side.

There was a piece missing. Ryou was gone. Not dead, Touma was sure he’d know if Ryou had died. He was just…gone. It hurt. An ice pick through the heart…a thousand bee stings…skinned alive, nothing could compare to the pain of losing part of one’s self. Xiu passed out from the pain and Touma felt himself starting to follow. The paramedic grabbed him and said something, but Touma wasn’t listening. Ryou was gone.

The world went black, but the pain and emptiness remained.


Youja Kai-
Rajura-


How could it have happened? He’d thought he’d gotten away from her. Thousands of years had rolled by, drifting passed like a warm spring breeze. Why did she have to show her ugly face now?

‘Sedari…won’t you just leave me alone?’

Rajura lay on his bed thinking over and over about what Anubisu had told him just a few hours ago.

“…someone following me and asked me to hand you over to them. They offered some real good incentives…offered me money, women and men, and power, if I’d give you up to him. Funny looking little guy. Had the strangest eyes you’ve ever seen. …his Lady-Queen was eager to see you, again.”

There was only one Lady-Queen. Sedari. She should be dead, after so long. It wasn’t right for anyone, not even a fae to live so long. Why hadn’t someone assassinated her, yet? Surely she must have given birth to at least one spawn who wanted her throne. That Anubisu had met one of Sedari’s agents worried him even more. Of course, they didn’t know his newest name, Anubisu must have recognized a description of him. The big question was what had Anubisu said to this agent and how could Rajura question Anubisu without getting him involved. Getting involved with the fae was almost as dangerous as insulting a wyrm. If Rajura had to deal with this, he wanted do it alone.

It was no good. Rajura just couldn’t get to sleep. Instead of laying there any longer and staring at the ceiling, Rajura rose and pulled on his robe. LOCATION. He commanded in mind-speak.

Immediately, everyone answered. BEDCHAMBERS. Naaza was the first one awake, apparently.

BATHHOUSE. Anubisu answered. AND I WASN’T ASLEEP.

I’M…IN THE GARDEN. UMMM…BY THE STAIRS. Kayura’s hesitant answer was the last one. WHAT’S GOING ON?

NOTHING, Rajura told her. GO TO BED, IT’S LATE.

Kayura didn’t answer and Rajura really didn’t expect her to. This was the first time he’d contacted her since she’d stepped in Sh’ten’s place so he expected that she was surprised at being spoken to at all. Though she didn’t say anything else, the other two weren’t nearly so timid and Rajura heard them both ask at once what was going on.

JUST CHECKING IN.

Naaza snorted. YOU HAVE AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE.

YES, USUALLY. GO BACK TO SLEEP IF THAT’S WHAT YOU WERE DOING. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHERE EVERYONE WAS.

Rajura spent a good deal of time wandering around the palace. He had no idea how long he spent doing that, but it was long enough that when he stopped outside the bathhouse, his feet were sore and he was exhausted. He sat one of the benches outside the bathhouse to rest, but thoughts of rest vanished when he idly opened his mind and felt Anbusiu’s happiness and confusion.

IT’S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. LIGHTFOOT’S BACK. I HAVEN’T SEEN HER FOR AGES.

Lightfoot. The wrym.

I SEE.

Then Rajura shielded his mind, to give the illusion of privacy, but he didn’t leave. Instead, he called to his animal, the spider, and waited until one of them appeared. When it did, Rajura picked up the tiny spider and gave it explicit instructions. The spider unquestioningly did as it was told and crept into the bathhouse so Rajura could see what was going on by watching through the spider’s eyes.

It was most…informative.


Anubisu-


“Little brother, if you soak much longer, one thinks thee wilt turn into a fish.”

Seeing Lightfoot again was the best thing that had happened to Anubisu all day. Anubisu nearly jumped out of the hot bath and flung his arms around Lightfoot. “Where hast thou been, little sister?! I’ve not seen thee in ages.”

“Around. There was much to be done.” She licked his face and, for a moment, life was simple again. “Thine eldest brother draws near.”

“He feels how happy I am to see you again, that’s all.” Anubisu settled himself down next to Lightfoot.

“Tell him to keep away.”

“Why?”

“There are private matters we should discuss, little brother. Things I wish to tell thee.”

Anubisu did as Lightfoot asked and felt Rajura close his mind to give them privacy. In fact, he was a little surprised that Rajura did it so quickly without question. Normally nosey, Rajura would usually put up more of a fight.

“Little brother,” Lightfoot put her paw on Anubisu’s chest to bring his attention back to her. “Art thee listening? Such important matters, secrets I should have told thee long ago. Thee must forgive me when I point out some details that should have been obvious to you.”

“What kind of things?” In all honesty, he really didn’t care. Why should he care if Lightfoot kept a few secrets? Goodness knows he had a few of his own. Besides, there was so much else to think about. Rajura was doing a bloody awful job with Kayura, but Anubisu figured even Rajura was allowed to mourn, so there was no point in holding it against him. He’d get over it in time and get on with the job of training their new sister. Anubisu pulled himself completely out of the warm water and sat on the tiled edge of the bathhouse. It was their one luxury Arago had allowed. Not actually a house, it was a large room used solely for a hot bath was that as big as a small pond. It was one of the best ideas Rajura had ever had.

Lightfoot sat next to him, but didn’t lay down when Anubisu lay on the floor to warm himself on the heated tiles. It made him feel better to just be in the bathhouse, the warmest place in the Youja Kai it was often where Naaza was found, also. “Why hast thee not gone back to thine mother?” The question was asked as calmly as if she’d just asked about the weather and it took Anubisu a moment to realize what she’d said. She sat looking down at him with little more than faint curiosity.

“Huh?”

That eloquent question made Lightfoot irritated enough to snap at Anubisu’s face, bring her deadly jaws just inches from his face. “Thee hast more sense than to grunt. I asked thee, why hast thou not visited thine mother and grandsire?”

“How do you even know about them?” It was entirely possible that Lightfoot had met with Anubisu’s mother and Abraham, but very unlikely. She had been gone for the entire war. Maybe that’s where she’d been, to see Anubisu’s other family. Funny. He hadn’t thought of them in a long time. “Did you meet them?”

Lightfoot blinked and looked wolfishly puzzled before she gave a barking sort of laugh. “Thee hast not realized, truly?”

“Realized what?” Anubisu rolled over a little and took a deep breath of her scent. He’d missed her a great deal.

“How many wolves have you spoken to in your life, little brother?”

It struck Anubisu first that she’d changed her way of speaking. It threw him off enough that he sat up to look her in the face before he spoke. “Just you.”

“And how many wolves live as long as I have?”

“Just you.” Now that she said it, it was kind of odd. “Is there a point to all this?”

“The point is that you are a fool, though I love you like my own blood.” She softened the insult with a lick on Anubisu’s face. “I am NOT a wolf, little brother.”

“You look like a wolf. You smell like a wolf.”

“Yet, I speak. I have lived for many thousands of years. I was old when your grandsire was a babe in his mother’s arms. Little brother, I am NOT a wolf. You must believe that.”

“I do.” He was starting to get a bad feeling about all this. Anubisu knew for a fact that Abraham was much older than even Rajura. How old did that make Lightfoot? “What are you?”

“I am often called a wyrm. A dragon, to some. A crawling, creeping thing to others. I can take whatever guise I chose, slip into any life I wish. Some people have viewed me to have the mighty power of the legendary dragons. Others see me as a cowardly thing that doesn’t chose to make its true self known. I am simply me. Long ago, I was called Enkidu and you, my brother, remind me of one I once loved. He was glorious. He was perfection. You are so like Gilgamesh. He was tall and strong, very brave. Always willing to throw himself into a battle. I think that’s why I liked you in the first place.”

“You were a pup, then.”

“As I wished you to believe. I am here for a reason, not to tell you of who I once was. Rajura has given you back your memories?”

Now there was a painful thing to think about. So, Lightfoot was in on all of that, too. “Yes.”

“And?”

“And what?”

“And when are you going to see Ryou? I’ve been protecting him for you throughout the war.” Her tone suggested that she would be mighty unhappy if Anubisu didn’t appreciate her gesture. “For that matter, your grandsire and mother were also involved in this conspiracy with Rajura. Now that you remember them, you should go to them and prove that you are alive and healthy. They are beginning to worry.”

“What do you mean, you’ve been protecting him? How?”

Lightfoot seemed to waver in Anubisu’s vision and then was gone, replaced by that monstrous white tiger. “This was an effective disguise.”

Anubisu rolled away from Lightfoot, or Byakuen, or whatever the name was, and got to his feet. Just what he wanted. More things to think about. Without saying a word, he went to one of the low benches and grabbed his robe from where he’d dropped it.

Okay.

Lightfoot wasn’t Lightfoot.

Ryou was never going to remember him.

Abraham was looking for him, which might or might not be a good thing.

Rajura was being an ass about Kayura.

Naaza was having those damned nightmares again and it was because of Anubisu.

Plus, now that he knew Abraham was looking for him, how in the world was Anubisu supposed to hunt without the risk of being found?

“Little brother?”

“I need a moment.” He didn’t turn back to look at the tiger. What hurt worst of all was that Lightfoot wasn’t who he’d always thought she was. Losing Ryou was bad enough, but at least he knew he’d given up Ryou to save him. Lightfoot had deceived him for centuries.

There was the soft padding of feet against the floor and when Anubisu did turn around again, Lightfoot was gone.

‘Didn’t even say good-bye. Maybe she won’t come back, again.’ Anubisu hung his head. He knew he’d made another mistake, but couldn’t for the life of him figure out how or what to do about it. ‘What do I want? I want Ryou. I want my family happy. I want my friend back.’ He paused and thought about his dear mother and Abraham who made him feel so uncomfortable. ‘Yeah. I guess I want them back, too.’

In the back of his mind, somewhere that didn’t normally touch Rajura, Naaza, or Kayura, Anubisu felt a tingle of fear. It wasn’t his fear. It was Ryou’s. The tingle became stronger until it was a whisper and crept down Anubisu’s spine like a thousand-legged insect marching down his back. That he could still feel Ryou in such a slight way amazed Anubisu. He’d never had such a strong bond outside of his family. To be honest, it frightened him a little. Ryou was only mortal, after all.

If Ryou didn’t remember anything of him, maybe it would be best for Anubisu to ignore Ryou. The feeling he was getting from Ryou was growing, though. It was getter louder and clearer, almost impossible to ignore.


The Wyrm-


It had never been sure if it liked the name Byakuen or Lightfoot better. It had known Anubisu since he had been Kujuurou in the wide expanse of Egypt long ago, but Ryou was a relatively new discovery. While it loved Anubisu like a treasured pet, Ryou was a shy beast just peering out of the darkness.

An odd comparison, but there was none more apt. It knew what Anubisu would do from one moment to the next. It knew Anubisu’s thought patterns and habits, what he wanted from life and how strong his love of life was. Ryou, It had found when he was only a cub, a tiny, mewling thing still clutching at his mother’s skirts. It wasn’t Ryou’s power that had drawn It to him, but something all together different. There was something special about Ryou that few other creatures possessed. His good-nature. All right, so it didn’t sound like much of an advantage, but it was enough to draw the wryms attention to Ryou.

It had never been so pleased as when it had learned that Anubisu and Ryou had formed a bond.

“I was wondering when you’d show up.”

Rajura was not without his interesting qualities and his stealth was the best of all of them. The wyrm stopped in mid-stride and turned to face Rajura who stood there, in the middle of the great Youja Kai grasslands as if he’d just stepped out of his bed chambers. His hair was loose about his shoulders and his kimono impeccable. That was something the wrym had never been able to understand. Why did Rajura take a Japanese name even before he’d given himself up to Arago’s domination? If anyone were to ask, he would tell them that his name was Kuroda Jirougorou. It was a lie and not a very well concealed one. His hair was so blonde it was nearly white. His one eye was blue as ice. He was very clearly not Japanese.

Without the need to disguise itself, the wyrm shifted into its natural form, standing slightly taller than Rajura. “You know why I’ve come.”

“Yes.” Rajura answered, quietly. “You’ve come for Anubisu. Well, you’re going to have to wait. He doesn’t seem to be up to seeing Recca at the moment.”

“Ryou. His name is Ryou. Why do you think he is not feeling up to a simple meeting?”

“I haven’t the foggiest idea.” Rajura looked up, away from the wyrm towards the closed doors of the bathhouse. “Something’s wrong.” The words were hardly out of his mouth before they heard an outraged scream erupted from within the bathhouse. Both Rajura and the wrym shot through the doors where they found Anubisu on the floor near the bath, kneeling with the palms of his hands on the floor in front of him. His eyes were wide and staring with a vicious snarl on his lips.

“Took him!” Anubisu growled, furiously. “They hurt him and they took him!”


Ryou-


When Ryo woke he was being dragged.

“It's all right.” A voice whispered to Ryo as he woke slowly. “Just relax. Don't say a word.”

Ryo felt as if he were having a terrible hangover. His vision was blurred, though slowly coming back into focus, and everything hurt. Ryou hadn’t felt so weak in a long time. He felt drained, empty. The fear set in when he realized he was alone inside his own mind. He was completely alone.

“You were drugged, but nothing lethal. Just enough to make you...pliable.”



To be continued….