Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Similarity ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ronin Warriors
 
Warrior Call
 
By Janime Lee
 
Part Twenty-six "Similarity"
 
*-*-*-*-*
No… way… Jessie thought as she took the orb into her left hand.
It had the same weight, the same texture, and the same feeling of power emitting from it as did the orbs the Ronins and Warlords possessed.
Shakily bringing her right hand up, Jessie lightly touched the metallic orb. It flashed brightly and Jessie nearly dropped it to cover her eyes.
She was no longer in the volcano passage but in an empty void.
And then there was a light; bright, beautiful, orange-yellow circular shape all by itself. Smaller spheres soon joined it, many of them much smaller, adorning the nothingness landscape like jewels.
Around the large rounded light appeared ten spheres, differing in size and colors, smaller spheres floating around some. One even had rings surrounding it.
The third sphere from the large glowing orb, a mixture of green, brown, some white and mostly blue, had only one smaller sphere spinning around it.
That's Earth… Jessie thought. This is my home, my solar system. But why are there ten planets? The one between Mars and Jupiter shouldn't be there, and the asteroids are missing. I don't understand…
Several long steamer-like objects flew past her, and for a moment, Jessie thought them to be comets.
Wait a minute! Comets don't move like that!
They flew around the sun, the planets and their moons. Some even landing on each of the floating spheres. Life began on each one. How she knew, Jessie couldn't provide an answer.
The planet between Mars and Jupiter exploded, the fragments scattering in a circular ring around the sun, between the two planets and floated lifelessly.
So that's what happened to Astoria.
Jessie blinked. How did she know the name?
Everything faded away, leaving Jessie alone in darkness. It did not last long as another sphere of light, the same size as the orb in her hand, soon appeared. It gave off small pulses of light, briefly creating human-like shadows behind it, too fast for Jessie to recognize them.
The sphere then split in two, and they each split into nine separate orbs. One set of nine glowed each color of the Ronins' and Warlords' Armors. The other set glowed gold, amber, pink, silver, lavender, indigo, plum, sienna, and periwinkle. They lined up to the other set: red to gold; green to amber; light blue to pink; dark orange to silver, midnight blue to lavender; earth gray to indigo; hunter green to plum; blood red to sienna; magenta to periwinkle.
 
The Circle shall be complete.
 
"Oh my God…" Jessie breathed. She looked down at her hands, which had closed over the orb she had found. Slowly she opened her hands and stared at the round metallic piece.
It started to glow a golden color.
 
Faith
 
 
"You still think you're dreaming, don't you?" Joana asked Leon.
"Yep," he answered. "Any minute now I'm going to wake up and have breakfast." Leon yelped when Dayus slapped him upside his head.
"As far as I know," said Dayus, "you can't feel pain in dreams. Therefore, you are awake."
Twyla looked at Elisa. "And the reason you started dating him was?"
"There's something there," Elisa smiled.
Cye rolled his eyes, murmuring in Gaelic.
"So what do we do now?" Kento asked.
"We can't move until Yurei does," said Kayura.
"So we have to sit and wait for her?" Casey groaned.
"I'm afraid so."
Ryo closed his eyes. Jessie… he thought. Their mental link was gone. He had noticed after Kurayami and Yurei appeared at the house. And now that Yurei was in control of Jessie's body, Ryo understood the reason why.
"Well, we know how Yurei got inside Jessie," said Rowen, "but how did Yurei get inside the Armors?"
"Good question," Gwen agreed
"She's definitely before our time," Kayura placed the Staff in the center of the room, "and so was Saber Stryke—he was already a spirit in armor when we arrived in the Dynasty. And from what Yurei had said, those two seemed rather… close."
"I say that's an understatement," said Cale.
Sage let out a loud sigh and ran his hands through his hair. "Does anybody have the slightest idea of where Yurei might have taken Jessie?"
"She can't bring her directly into the Netherworld," said Kayura. "Jessie's body wouldn't be able to handle it without some form of protection, which I hate to admit, she doesn't have."
"That's comforting," Sage slumped in his chair, sending a slight glare in Sekhmet's direction.
"If you have any ideas," Kayura looked at the Ronin, "I would love to hear it."
The rings on the Staff immediately began to clang loudly and the mystic item glowed fiercely.
"Still think you're dreaming, Leon?" Nat asked.
"I'm beginning to doubt…" he admitted.
The nine Armor bearers jumped to their feet as they looked at the Staff. Their kanji appeared on their brows and glowed brightly as the Staff. They felt something… a presence… somehow familiar to them, and the presence itself rejoiced in recognition.
{Guys!}
The Ronin leader's eyes widened. {Jessie?!}
{Jessie!} Sage smiled. {Where are you?}
{I don't know,} she answered, {but I think I'm-} Her scream cut off the rest of her sentence, causing the Ronins and Warlords to jump at her sudden cry of pain as darkness then went through the fading link.
Their kanji disappeared and the Staff was calm once again.
"Jessie…" Ryo whispered.
"What happened?" Joana asked.
"We heard her," said Cye. "It was like she was right inside our minds."
"Yurei…" Sage hissed. "What the hell did she do to her?"
"She was… someplace warm," said Sekhmet. "Very warm. I felt it."
"That's really helping us," Kento grunted. "For all we know, Yurei could have her on the moon."
Something crashed through the window and struck the wall not far from Sekhmet's head. The Warlord of Venom regarded the arrow for a moment before removing the piece of paper that had been wrapped around the black shaft. As he read the message, his eyes widened.
Sekhmet looked up from the note. "She's in the Dynasty."
 
 
"Do you think it was wise to send them an… invitation so soon?"
"Shikaizen," Yurei eyed the short demon priest, "I did not bring you here to question my judgment. I decided what happens and when I want it to. Besides," she leaned back with a smile. "I want to see the expressions on their faces when I show them what exactly I need the Dragon Child for."
"She's not just for what you recently retrieve, princess," Shikaizen reminded. "She's the only one that has enough power to resurrect Emperor Talpa, providing that Wildfire-"
"That whelp is not going to get in the way again."
"His soul may be more powerful than you think."
Growling in impatience at the priest's words, Yurei summoned the Nether Spirits. They floated before her, looking with lifeless eyes at their mistress, waiting for her command.
"Be ready to welcome our guests very shortly," Yurei rose to her feet. "I'll be in the ritual chamber." She started towards the door and the Nether Spirits bowed. "Bring me the one wearing green Armor." Yurei paused and turned around. "And I prefer not the gaijin half-breed."
 
 
The door closed behind them, and the nine Armor wearers cautiously looked around. White Blaze sniffed the ground and started growling.
"What do you think?" asked Kento.
"I say that we're about to meet the welcoming committee," Cye answered.
Arrows and spears flew out of nowhere, it seemed. Everyone jumped out of the way, landing in several different locations.
No Soldiers, Dayus thought, what the hell?
Kayura summoned the Staff and murmuring a few words, beams of light shot from the Staff and hit several watchtowers on the corners of the palace maze. The light reflected to each of the towers, shattering an invisible barrier that revealed a multitude of Nether Spirits.
"Oh crap…" Rowen groaned.
"This isn't good," murmured Sage.
The Nether Spirits hovered in the air, none of them moving except for their ghostly robes flowing in an unseen wind.
What are they waiting for? Ryo thought.
The Nether Spirits all turned their heads to a certain area. Ryo and the others also followed their gaze, and their eyes widened when they saw, not what but who the dark entities were looking at.
Sekhmet.
The Venom Warlord himself wasn't too happy with everyone one (dead and alive) staring at him. He grew more unsettled when the Nether Spirits started towards him.
"Not my time yet!" he shouted and jumped on top of the maze wall.
"Sekhmet!" Cale yelled, running after his friend.
The Nether Spirits were right on Sekhmet's trail. And I thought they were a pain in the ass back then! What do they want with me?!
One spirit appeared in front of him so suddenly, Sekhmet skidded to avoid collision, which also caused him to lose his balance and he fell off the wall. He didn't hit the ground; several Nether Spirits were already waiting on the path, a pool of energy before them that Sekhmet landed in.
The pain shooting through his body was almost as bad as when Kuriyami had him and the other Warlords imprisoned back in the caves. He didn't scream, didn't make one noise to give satisfaction to Yurei and her Nether Spirits. As the shadow of unconsciousness claimed him, Sekhmet faintly heard the calling of his name.
 
 
He was alive; he knew that much as he returned from the unfeeling bliss. His head felt funny for some reason, like a lot of pressure was focused inside his skull.
Slowly, the Warlord opened his eyes, blinking a few times to focus. When he did, Jessie—no, Yurei was floating before him. Red eyes laughing darkly, a smug look on her face, and her hair was going upwards.
Sekhmet stared at her trying to figure out why her hair was like that, and he looked up, or rather down at the floor. Well, that explains it, he thought then looked at himself. He was bound by his wrists and ankles by two separate lines attached to the ceiling. Sekhmet also noticed that he and Yurei were the only ones in the room.
"Glad to see you're awake," Yurei said, bringing Sekhmet's attention back to her. "I was getting slightly worried that they used a little too much on you."
"I'm surprised you actually care," said Sekhmet.
Yurei raised an eyebrow then moved to an upright position. She snapped her fingers and the rope holding Sekhmet's ankles vanished, causing him to drop and the line binding his wrists stopped him with a forceful jerk. He grunted slightly from the pain and glared at Yurei.
"I wouldn't bother trying to call your Armor because I already have placed the same spell Kuriyami used on the Ronins in the caves," she said now eye level with him. "Don't look at me like that, Sekhmet, you have no idea what you're in right now."
"Oh, I believe I have a pretty good idea."
"Do you? Then enlighten me."
"You singled me out from the others for some reason," said Sekhmet, "and whatever it is, it's only for your benefit."
"It certainly wasn't for your good looks and charm," Yurei smirked. "But you're correct—I do have a reason. I'd like to make you an offer, Sekhmet."
"An offer?" he chuckled. "Power? Glory? Honor? Immortality?"
"Those you already have so I cannot give them to you again," Yurei gestured. "However, I do have something else that you would trade all of those things you have without question."
"And what would that be?"
"The Dragon Child."
Sekhmet gaped at her. "What?!"
Yurei leaned closer. "I can give you the Dragon Child," she repeated, speaking in a voice as if Sekhmet were a child. "You have taken a liking to her, and she would never be with you because of Halo." She smiled at his reaction. "I can make it so that she has no memory of him or the others—only you."
"And what do you get out of this?" Sekhmet demanded.
"You're not as stupid as Torrent believes you to be," Yurei grinned. "As you may have guessed, Saber Stryke and I had courted a long time ago. And if you remember, I told Black Blaze that I could bring him back."
"You want me to be his host," said Sekhmet.
"Very good! And as your reward, you get to have the Dragon Child all to yourself."
"How is that possible, seeing that you two will have control of our bodies."
"Straight to the point. I like that in a man," Yurei smiled. "If you let me into your mind, Sekhmet, I can create a link between you and the Dragon Child. Think of it as your own little world with just the two of you to do as you please. No one else to ever disturb you."
Sekhmet looked at her. "You can do that?"
"I'm in her body, aren't I? And I was inside the Mystic Armor for over a thousand years. I am still connected to it even though it's divided. That's how I am connected to you. How else could you explain me knowing of your harbored desire for this girl before you now."
"You are not Jessie."
"No," Yurei caught his chin with her thumb and forefinger of her left hand, "but I can give her to you."
She leaned forward to kiss him, but Sekhmet sharply turned his head away, jerking out of her grasp. Scowling at the Warlord, Yurei floated away from him.
"Such a pity, Sekhmet," she said as she glided down to the floor, "you had more promise than the others."
"Talpa called Anubis his Right Hand," he said, "the one thing I did learn, unfortunately too late, was that he was better than me but I was also better than him."
"And look where he is now," Yurei smirked, "the first traitor. Too bad, though, he was rather handsome."
The self-proclaimed Princess of the Netherworld raised her hands, summoning a dozen Nether Spirits that surrounded the bound Warlord.
"Kill him, slowly. I want to see him writhe and scream for mercy."
"You'll get no such pleasure," Sekhmet promised.
Yurei smiled darkly. "We'll see."
 
 
"We should have gone with them," said Twyla.
"And do what?" Jade asked. "You heard what they said, Yurei's taken over Jessie. There's nothing we can do."
"The thing is that she hasn't seen us prior to Yurei gaining control," Joana spoke. "Maybe if she does see us, it'll help wake her up."
"Uh, Joana," Leon rose from the couch and walked over to her. "Jessie is possessed by a psycho spirit as you have put it. Going in there and trying to help is not a good idea."
Casey narrowed her eyes. "And you're saying this because?"
"No, it is not because of my dislike of her. We're not armed like they are."
Gwen pulled a coin from her pocket. "Heads, we go. Tails, we stay. Agreed?"
Everyone nodded. Gwen flipped the coin, caught it and slapped it against the back of her left hand. Slowly she removed her other hand and looked at the coin.
"Mia, do you have a Gate Orb?"
"Right here," Mia took the round object from her pocket. "Just so you know, no matter the results of that coin toss, we were going anyway."
"I know." Gwen held out the coin to Mia, flipping to reveal the other side and smiled.
It was a two-headed coin.
 
 
Yurei was a little disappoint that Sekhmet had kept his word, but also had to admit she was impressed with his tolerance to pain.
Then again, the Emperor did have him and the others in a Nether Moat, she thought.
Her attention from watching the dark spirits as they continue to electrocute the Venom Warlord wavered slightly, her eyes turning to the adjacent wall that soon exploded. Splinters and large pieces of wood flew in all directions; none struck Yurei as she quickly put up an invisible shield.
"I despise uninvited guests," she muttered and vanished.
Rowen and Dayus ran into the room first, and Rowen immediately drawing back an arrow, aiming for the line. He loosed the arrow and it cut through the rope. Dayus quickly removed the scythes from his back, attacking the Nether Spirits. Once they were destroyed, Sekhmet fell towards the ground. Ryo and Cale caught him.
"Sekhmet, are you alright?" Cale asked.
"I'll feel better in the morning," the Warlord groaned. "Yurei?"
"She's gone," said Kayura. "Put your Armor on—it'll heal you."
"I already tried when I woke up here. Yurei cast a blocking spell… like the one Kuriyami used."
"Nice," Ryo grumbled, placing Sekhmet's arm around his shoulders as Cale took his other arm, helping their friend stand and out of the room.
 
 
"Didn't work as you planned, did it?"
Yurei glared at Shikaizen. "I don't see you coming up with any ideas." Fuming, she turned her head away from the short demon. A Gate appeared not too far from where they stood on the maze wall and slowly opened.
Leaving so soon? Yurei thought. I'm rather disappointed.
She jumped across the walls, landing just behind the open door.
"See anything?"
Yurei frowned, finding the female voice familiar.
"Not at the moment."
"Just keep your eyes pealed, people."
"I'd just like to say, I am against this. So I hope your boyfriends don't decide to kick my ass when they see us here."
That voice was definitely male.
"Leon, relax."
Yurei watched as nine people—eight women and one man—walk through the Gate. Something inside her stirred, causing her to shake her head. Images and emotions went through her. They belonged to the Dragon Child. She knew these people; they were her friends. Even the man called Leon, despite their differences the Dragon Child still had a great amount of respect for him.
Joana… my little sis…
Yurei's eyes widened.
"You aren't just my friends—you're also my family."
She's waking up! Yurei realized. This cannot be! She teleported herself far from the small group, collapsing on the ground outside the palace maze and pressed her hands against her head. Gasping, she focused against the Dragon Child trying to regain consciousness.
"Your Highness," Shikaizen appeared next to her, watching with mild amusement as she fought back the Dragon Child.
Finally, Yurei succeeded. She lowered her hands and looked at the demon. "Those girls and that boy," her eyes darkened, "they're an unforeseen obstacle. Get rid of them."
 
 
"I was against this," said Leon, "this was not my idea."
The Ronins, Warlords, and White Blaze just stared at him and the girls.
"Mia," Ryo turned to his girlfriend, "may I ask why you are here after we went through a thorough explanation to certain newly arrived people of why they shouldn't come."
"We flipped a coin," she answered.
"A coin?"
"Wait a sec," Kento pointed to Gwen. "Was it her coin?"
"Yeah, it was," answered Elisa.
"That was a double-headed coin!"
Dayus smirked at the Hardrock Ronin under his faceplate. "Used it on you, has she?"
Kento growled and was about to retort when Rowen broke in. "It doesn't matter." He turned to the unarmed group. "You guys are going back to the mansion."
"Jessie needs us!" Joana protested.
"Uh, Joana," Leon put his hand on her shoulder causing Cye to narrow his eyes. "May I may remind you that Jessie is not in control anymore."
"Leon, shut your trap and get your hand off me before I hurt you."
The American boy quickly did as he was told as everyone stared at Joana in shock, while Cye just grinned. Who'd believe that such a sweet, caring person like her would have such a mean streak?
The Armor wearers paused for a moment. Suddenly they each grabbed one unprotected person and jumped away before a barrage of arrows struck the ground.
"That was close," said Sekhmet as he put Nat on her feet.
"Kayura!" Sage called.
Leon sat on the ground, an arrow pierced through his left bicep. The Ancient Lady quickly looked over the injury then grabbed the shaft. "Brace yourself," she warned and broke the arrow near the end.
Leon made a strangled noise and looked towards the golden sky, forcing himself to focus on one of the many moons that graced the area above.
Kayura took hold of the arrowhead, pulling the rest of the slim piece of black wood through Leon's arm. Blood spurted, and then she placed both hands over the wound. Shutting her eyes, Kayura whispered a healing spell. Finished, she removed her hands and Leon stared at his arm.
"Okay," he said, "I'm not dreaming. I believe."
"Welcome to our life," said Gwen.
"Which will be ending soon," said a rather high, elderly male voice.
Looking up at the maze wall, there stood a very short—just managing three feet in height—old man. He wore a red and black ancient Chinese outfit. The large hat on his head was in such contrast with his frail-looking body, it would be a wonder to a normal person how he managed not to fall over.
"I take it that this guy is a crony?" Jade asked.
"Most likely," answered Twyla. "But he's new to us."
"Shikaizen," Yurei's voice echoed across the path, "don't play games. Get rid of them!"
"As you wish, princess." Shikaizen removed a set of beads from his massive sleeve. His eyes glowed a dark color and the beads started to glow as well. They floated into the air, sparks of energy bouncing off them.
"Can we run now?" Casey backed up behind Cale.
"Good idea," Shikaizen smirked, "too bad you won't be able to carry it out."
The beads separated and hurtled towards the group. They bounced off the Armors, but those vulnerable collapsed.
"Mia!" Ryo cried, catching her before she hit the ground.
"Simple," Yurei appeared on top of the wall near the short demon, "but effective. Well done, Shikaizen."
"I am your humble servant, princess," he answered.
"What the hell did you do that for?!" Rowen yelled at her.
"They were a nuisance, and I hate pests." Yurei shrugged. "Besides, I still need the Dragon Child."
"Jessie was waking up," said Sage. "you saw them when they came into they Dynasty, and Jessie started to wake up. That's the only reason why you would do this to them!"
"Very good, Halo, you get a cookie. And has it crossed your mind as to why none of you still conscious have had the same effect?" Yurei smirked and tapped her upper left arm. "A small sense of betrayal, perhaps?"
"We were not fighting Jessie," Sekhmet gritted, "we were fighting you!"
"Keep telling yourselves that. As for fighting, I'd like to continue that little squabble we had earlier."
"I'll take care of that matter we discussed, while you are occupied, my princess," Shikaizen bowed.
"See that you do." Yurei faced the Nine. "Before we begin, I'd like to up the odds in my favor, if you don't mind. And please watch closely, I hate doing things twice."
She jumped into the air and then faded into a shadowy outline. Yurei whipped her cloak off and it dissolved into golden shreds. She landed in a crouched position on the path only a couple yards away from the Ronins and Warlords. Slowly, she rose up, smiling darkly at their expressions upon seeing what she now wore.
Though it had a slightly grayish tint, it was a gold and white sub-armor.
Rowen shook his head. "It can't be..."
"Another Armor...?" Cye said in disbelief.
"Not just another Armor," Yurei clarified, "I present to you the counterpart Armor to Wildfire, the Armor of Magma. You could call it Wildfire's twin." She chuckled and looked at Ryo. "I guess this would make the two of you brother and sister."
Ryo set Mia gently on the ground before turning to face the Nether Realm Princess. "Is this why the Flare didn't destroy her?" he demanded. "Wildfire protected her because my Armor knew she was to be my counterpart?"
"Correct. It would have killed her instantly, not even her own powers would have protected her." Yurei raised her arms up as if to stretch. "Oh, there is one little detail I almost forgot, Wildfire, your mind-link with the Dragon Child."
{It still exists.}
Ryo gasped at Yurei's voice in his mind.
{And you're not the only one.}
"What the-?" Cale started.
Yurei brought her hands together and her eyes glowed fiercely red. The feeling of a hot needle shooting it's way up from the back of their necks and into their brains caused the Armor wearers to scream. They fell silent, emotionless expressions crossed their faces as their eyes clouded over.
Shikaizen smiled and floated to the ground. He walked over to Yurei. "Yurei, Yurei," he said with a mellow tone, knowing full well that she couldn't hear him. "You are so much like your father. Fortunately for me, I have cast my lot in with someone with better promise. Just to let you know I'm not going to enslave the others' minds. I have been instructed to kill them."
Turning away, he walked over to Cye and removed the dagger from the Torrent Ronin's shoulder. "How does that modern day rhyme proceed? Oh, yes, now I remember. Eenie, meenie, minee, mo. Catch the tiger-"
White Blaze sprang to life and knocked Cye's dagger out of Shikaizen's hand with a massive swipe of his paw.
"Miserable beast! Damn you!" Shikaizen yelled, cradling his wounded hand. "How is this infernal beast unaffected? Soldiers!"
Nearly two dozen Nether Soldiers appeared at the command, surrounding White Blaze and his charges.
"Let's see how well you can protect them, you mangy feline!" Shikaizen cackled.
The Nether Soldiers ran towards the group, but when they were within two feet, an invisible force repealed them.
Impossible! Shikaizen's mind screamed. None of them are conscious! He paused, noticing something next to Kayura. The something was actually a someone, rather a translucent someone with reddish-brown hair wearing the clothes of a monk.
"You!" the short demon hissed. "Why can't you stay out of affairs that are no longer yours?!"
"That's where you are wrong, Shikaizen. It is said that when a spirit returns to the world of the living it is because they have unfinished business," Anubis pushed his hat up, revealing teal eyes, "and my friends are my unfinished business."
"All spirits have unfinished business."
Shikaizen looked over towards the Dragon Child, yelping when he saw another spirit dressed as a monk with white hair standing beside her.
"If there is anyone who can make claim to the Dragon Child, whether they are alive or a spirit," Kaosu placed his hand on Jessie's shoulder, "it is I." The Ancient One turned into a sphere of pure light and entered the young woman's body.
Anubis looked at Shikaizen with a grin. "Are you going to get it when they wake up."
 
 
April 5, 2005
 
SURPRISE! I AM NOT DEAD!
 
Okay, I'll admit it, Tykeria, you are right: I am a bum. A big lazy bum. A lazy bum who has been distracted by the world of Yu-Gi-Oh! My proof is on ff.net; go look in my Favorite Stories for "Sisters of the Moon" and "Arise From Darkness" as well as the Ronin Warrior fic "Destiny" I have co-authored with Heikou a.k.a. Dark Beloved of Light, and we've started our fourth fic, "Daughters of Isis".
 
Now back to the fic. Short chapter I know but I believe that those of you who have been waiting for an update (especially Adam, Dina, Nick, and Tina; btw, Dina, it was nice to meet you. Love the dresses for you and Tina!) have suffered at my lack of typing hands long enough.
 
You have no idea how wonderful it was for me to get past the block for this chapter. I don't know why but I had a hard time getting it out. Something just didn't sit right with me. As always, Squeaky was ready to lend her ear so I owe her a big thank you. And another big thank you to those who had beta-read what I had typed up.
 
Until next chapter. Hopefully it won't take a year and a half…
 
~Janime