Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Warrior Call ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Prologue
**********
September 18th
"I'm going!" Ryo yelled to Mia, who was in the study room.
"Okay! See you later!" she yelled back.
"Off again, huh?" said Rowen. "Where are you going?"
"Guess," said Ryo.
"Shoot me."
"What's the date?" Ryo asked, putting on his sneakers. "You're the super genius, you figure it out."
Rowen looked at the calendar. "Ah-ha," he said with embarrassment.
"September eighteenth," Sage said. He and Rowen were sitting crossed-legged on the floor playing chess. Cye and Kento were playing a fighting game on the TV. Cye was lying on his back, supported by pillows and cushions taken from the couch. Kento was lying on his stomach, a bag of potato chips in front of him.
"Do you think you'll see him?" Kento asked, shoving a few chips in his mouth.
"Don't know," Ryo answered, finished tying his sneaker and grabbed his coat.
"If you do, tell him we said, 'Hi'," Cye said.
"I will," Ryo promised. He opened the door.
"Try to be home early," said Rowen, "Mia is making beef stew tonight for supper."
"Yeah, you don't want Kento eating your share now, do you?" Cye called after him.
"Hey!" Kento protested, which caused him to loose the bout and sputtered under his breath.
Ryo shook his head and closed the door. Outside the air was cool and a slight breeze went by. Ryo closed his eyes and inhaled the sweet smell of autumn. He opened his eyes and ran from the porch into the forest.
September eighteenth.
Every year on this day, since Talpa's defeat, Ryo had always gone into the forest to the small stone monument that he, along with the other Ronins' help, built for Anubis, the former Warlord of Cruelty and successor to the Ancient One. He had died after using the last of his strength to free Kayura from Badamon's spell. That event took place while Ryo, Rowen, Kento, Sage, Cye, Sekhmet, Dayus, and Cale, were imprisoned in the towers that Talpa had created for them.
Although immobilized, the Ronins and Warlords could feel each other's presence. They felt Anubis break free from his prison. They felt him give his Armor to Kayura. They felt Badamon leave Kayura's body. They felt Anubis die. They felt they were to blame, especially Kayura and the Warlords. Anubis freed Kayura, tried to make Sekhmet, Dayus, and Cale see the truth behind Talpa's promises of power, glory, and immortality. When they realized the truth, it was too late.
If only we had gotten to him in time, Ryo thought, we could have found a way to bring you back, Anubis. You could be alive today if we could've figured a way to use the Jewel of Life and the Ancient Staff on you.
But Anubis' body had vanished like the Ancients before him. It was hard on all of them, especially Yuli, who had gotten attached to Anubis as much as he was to Ryo.
Kayura, with the help of the Ronins and Warlords, built a shrine to honor Anubis in the Dynasty. No longer did Nether Spirits use the Dynasty. With the destruction of Badamon and Talpa defeated, the Spirits and Soldiers disappeared back to the Nether Realm.
Ryo arrived at a small clearing. He took an incense stick out of his pocket, stuck it in the ground and lit it. He sat down, crossed his legs, and stared at the circle of stones he and the others had arranged.
Ryo picked this day to honor Anubis privately. He had put into a bowl small papers marked January through December, shuffled them around, and took a piece of paper out which read September. Ironically that September is the ninth month of the year. Ninth month. Nine Armors.
After picking the month, Ryo took a calendar, closed his eyes and let his finger wander over the numbers and stopped. He opened his eyes and saw that he was pointing at the eighteenth.
Ryo had always wondered if the eighteenth was ironic as September, since 2 x 9 = 18. He wouldn't be surprised if it was.
Hands on his knees, Ryo shut his eyes and breathed deeply, letting himself relax. Ryo had the sensation that he was falling backwards, and when he felt himself "land," opened his eyes. He was in the same sitting position when he had begun to meditate; only he was on a cliff overlooking a lake. The clothes he was wearing were similar to old Japanese armor. Ryo stood up, taking in the beauty of the scenery.
"Nice outfit," said a voice from behind him.
Ryo spun around. There was Anubis, wearing the same outfit. His long hair was pulled back into a ponytail and he was sitting on a rock.
"We look twins separated at birth," said Anubis, drawing out his sword. "Care for a friendly fight?"
"Not at all," said Ryo, reaching with both hands behind his back, only to discover he had one sword.
"Old habits are hard to break, aren't they?" Anubis asked. Ryo grinned.
They bowed to each other and stood in their fighting stances. For a moment, neither of them moved. And in the blink of an eye, they lunged at each other. Swords clashed, weapons dodged, the once enemy warriors fought until both had the tip of their blades at the other's throat.
"Not bad," said Ryo, breaking the silence.
"You're getting better," said Anubis, placing his sword in its sheath.
"It's good to see you again," said Ryo, also replacing his sword.
"Likewise."
They shook hands and Anubis asked how things were in the Mortal Realm. Ryo answering questions as best as he could.
"The guys say 'Hi'," said Ryo.
"Huh? Oh, the other Ronins," said Anubis. "Tell them I said, 'Hello.' How are they?"
"Good."
"How about Mia and Yuli?"
"They're great," Ryo answered, "Mia is doing research from where her grandfather left off and Yuli is still the Skateboard Screamer."
"That good," said Anubis, "I miss them a lot. How old is Yuli now?"
"He's fourteen."
"Fourteen," Anubis said, "he's almost a man now then, isn't he?" He smiled and turned his head toward the sun. "I can't believe it's been six years."
Ryo could tell that something was bothering him. "Anubis," he said, "what's wrong?"
"I don't know," said Anubis, "but the Ancients are uneasy. They said something is coming and the circle shall be complete. I've given the same words to Kayura, so don't be surprised to see her within the next few days."
"Does it have anything to do with me?" Ryo asked.
"No," Anubis shook his head, "if it was you, it would have been taken care of already. Don't worry, you're fine."
"Don't blame yourself, Anubis," said Ryo, "it was the only way. You, Kayura, the guys and the Ancients are the only ones that know."
"What about Mia and Yuli?"
"Mia knows. Yuli doesn't. I figured what he doesn't know can't hurt him," Ryo sighed. "Well, I'd better get going if I want supper. You know Kento."
"Yes," Anubis chuckled, "what is it that you called him? 'The Human Garbage Disposal'?"
"Among a few other things," said Ryo.
"What's Mia making?"
"Beef stew."
"That's the first meal I had since... hmm. I can't remember."
"It's all right," said Ryo.
"Do me a favor," said Anubis, "tell Mia I miss her cooking."
"I will," Ryo promised. He closed his eyes and faded away.
When Ryo opened his eyes, he was back in his body sitting in front of the stones. The incense stick had burned out and the sun was hanging low behind the trees.
I'd better get home, Ryo thought, Kento is probably eating his own shirt.
He stood up, brushed the dust off the back of his jeans, and ran towards the house.
"Where is he?!" Kento cried, twisting the empty potato chip bag in his hands. "I'm starving!"
"There's no surprise," muttered Cye. He was reading a book, trying to ignore Kento's griping and his own rumbling stomach.
Sage and Rowen were still on the floor playing their umpteenth game of chess.
"Take it easy, Kento," Rowen said.
"Yeah," said Sage, "we all agreed that we'd wait until Ryo comes home to eat."
Yet the aroma from the kitchen was making their stomachs groan.
"Juicy, delicious beef," said Kento, still twisting the bag.
The trio looked at each other and then at Kento.
"Carrots…" he continued, "celery...onions...wonderful...spicy...tangy...broth...I CAN'T STAND IT!" Kento leapt to his feet and bolted for the kitchen. Cye, Rowen, and Sage ran after him. Rowen made it to the kitchen door, blocking Kento's path.
"Out of my way, man!" Kento growled.
"Kento, we know you're hungry," said Rowen. Now there's an understatement, he thought. "We're hungry too-"
"Ha!" Kento laughed. "How do I know that you guys don't have a secret stash of goodies somewhere, huh?"
"We don't," said Cye, "now Kento-"
"Yeah right!" Kento said, cutting off his best friend. "If you don't, then how come you guys aren't going crazy like me?"
"It's because we have more will power than you do," Sage said. Kento gave him a nasty look.
"Listen," said Rowen, "let's just go back to the den, watch a movie, and wait for Ryo like we said."
"But that was over an hour ago!" Kento whined. "I need food!"
Kento tried to move Rowen out of his way, but Rowen pushed him back while Cye and Sage grabbed his arms and pulled, all the while Kento chanted, "Food. Food. Food."
"Now I know why you had Hardrock," grunted Rowen, "moving you is like moving a boulder."
"I'll remember that when I'm buying you're next birthday present," Kento promised. "Food."
"He's starting again," said Cye.
"Food!" Kento wailed. "I crave sustenance!"
"What do you know," said Sage, "his vocabulary is expanding."
The back door opened. "Hey guys!" a voice called.
"Ryo!" Kento cried happily.
"Where are y-" Ryo stopped as he saw Cye, Rowen, and Sage restraining Kento. "I take it you guys were waiting for me?"
"Yeah, sort of," Sage said. The trio released Kento.
"I'm so glad you're home," said Kento. He grabbed Ryo's arm and dragged him to the dinning room, telling Ryo how "badly" the others "treated" him.
At supper, they asked Ryo if he saw Anubis.
"Yes," said Ryo, "he says 'hello' and Mia, he misses your cooking."
Mia smiled brightly and then it faded. "I miss him," she said.
"He misses you too," said Ryo, "he misses all of us."
"Did he say anything else?" asked Rowen.
"Something's coming," Ryo answered, "he said 'something's coming and the circle shall be complete.' And don't be surprised if Kayura and the Warlords appear on the doorstep."
"Does it have anything to do with you?" Sage asked.
"No, thank God," Ryo said, "but I wouldn't be surprised if later on it will."
The rest of the meal was eaten in silence.
After supper, Ryo helped Mia with the dishes and the rest of the boys went upstairs.
"How are you feeling?" Mia asked, handing him a pot.
"About what Anubis said, I'm pretty nervous," Ryo said, as he dried the pot.
"That's not what I meant," said Mia, looking at him with worry.
"Oh that," he said. He gave Mia a reassuring smile. "I'm all right, Mia. Even Anubis said that I'm okay."
Mia smiled weakly. "That's good. But still, I worry about you."
Ryo put the pot and towel down on the counter. He put his hand on Mia's shoulder and she turned to face him. Ryo pulled her into his embrace and they kissed. When they broke apart, Mia rested her head on Ryo's shoulder.
"I'll be all right, Mia," Ryo whispered. "Everything will be fine."
"It's just that I'm afraid I'll lose you," said Mia as tears welled in her eyes, "like my grandfather."
"You won't," said Ryo.
FLASH! Both Ryo and Mia jumped.
"It's a Kodak Moment," said Kento. He was standing in the kitchen doorway with the other three, holding a camera.
"Kissy! Kissy!" Cye taunted, pursing his lips.
"The perfect couple," said Sage with a grin.
"WHY YOU..." Ryo growled.
"Uh-oh!" said Rowen. "Take cover! The volcano is about to explode!"
Ryo took off after the other Ronins, leaving a rather stunned Mia in the kitchen.
"I really hope that he breaks the camera," she said and turned her attention back to the pots.
"KENTO! GIVE ME THAT CAMERA!" Ryo shouted, still in pursuit. He knew that the guys would use that photo to taunt him about his relationship with Mia.
"Sorry bud!" Kento yelled, running into his bedroom and jumped on his bed. Ryo ran into the room. Sage and Cye were standing on their beds. Rowen, who had been hiding behind the door, slammed it shut and jumped on his bed as well.
"Kento," Ryo said nicely, "please give me the camera."
"Hmmm, no," said Kento, "you'll break it."
"I promise I won't break it," said Ryo, "I'm just going to rip the film out."
"Can't let you do that either," said Kento.
"Why?"
"You see, this camera also happens to be the camera that we took on our picnic to the beach at the beginning of August," Kento explained, "there's a few pictures on here that I - really - want - to - keep!"
"Let me guess," said Ryo, "you took pictures of the female life guard that was on duty, right?"
Cye looked at Kento. "The one with the really big-"
"That's the one!" said Kento.
"I want copies!" said Cye.
"Sorry," said Kento, "one set is enough and it's mine!"
"Kento," said Ryo, "I don't care what's on that film-"
"Of course you don't!" said Sage.
"You've got Mia!" Rowen piped in.
"Kento, give me the camera," ordered Ryo.
"What's the magic word?" Kento asked, hand next to his ear.
"Now."
"BZZZ! Sorry! Wrong answer!" Kento tossed the camera to Cye, who tossed it to Sage, who tossed it to Rowen, who tossed it back to Kento. After a few minutes of "keep away," Ryo managed to grab the camera as it sailed towards Kento.
"Thanks, Rowen," Ryo said, opening the door. "Your aim is getting rusty."
Rowen, Sage, Cye, and Kento jumped off their beds and ran after Ryo. Before Ryo made it down the stairs, Rowen grabbed the back of his shirt, causing Ryo to jerk forward and let go of the camera. As it sailed through the air, the five boys reached out to catch it, lost their balance and fell down the stairs, landing in a heap at the bottom. The camera fell towards them, and Kento reached out and caught it.
"I got it!" he cried happily. "Beach Bunny is mine!"
"And just who is 'Beach Bunny'?" said Mia, taking the camera from Kento's non-resisting hand. "It wouldn't happen to be the lifeguard that had a big enough chest she wouldn't need a life preserver, now would it?"
"Umm... h-how'd you guess?" asked Kento.
"It figures," said Mia, "I'll take the camera, finish the film, develop it, and get rid of a few unnecessary pictures." She went back into the kitchen.
Everyone glared at Ryo. "Don't look at me," he said, standing up, "if you hadn't taken that picture of us, you'd still have 'Beach Bunny'."
Deep into the night, long after the Ronins and Mia went to sleep, Anubis appeared in the dining room, dressed in his monk's robe and hat. He made his way upstairs and walked through Mia's bedroom door. She was sleeping peacefully, nestled beneath blankets and sheets. Anubis smiled and left the room.
When he had first met Mia and Yuli, Anubis had tried to kill them. After his change, both had become the most important people in his life.
Anubis went to the room Cye, Sage, Kento, and Rowen shared.
Cye was on his back, one arm over his eyes.
Sage was on his side, hands under the pillow.
Rowen was on his stomach, left arm to the floor.
Kento was in a tangled mess of sheets and blankets. A slight snore interrupted the quiet of the night.
Anubis left their room. It was better to see them asleep. Whenever Anubis visited them during the day, it always pained him to watch them go through the day and not see him. Either way, they didn't know he was there.
Anubis went to Ryo's room and sat down on the unused bed. He took off his hat and watched Ryo sleep. After a few minutes, Anubis stood up.
"Everyone has demons we must battle with, don't we?" Anubis asked Ryo, still asleep. "But you hold the king of the demons inside you, Ryo. And for that I am to blame."
Anubis put on his hat and vanished.

February 12, 2001
Changed Yuli's age - By saying that he was twelve, I made him at the age of six in the show rather than eight (bright for his age, wasn't he?).