Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Secrets ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Two - Secrets
**********
She stood on the balcony. The wind made her long hair sway and she spun around, her golden dress with red trim caught the light from the sun. She was happy.
He saw her. She had not changed since the last time he had seen her. Did she remember him?
She turned and smiled at him. She did remember him. He looked so handsome in his green top with yellow trim and dark blue pants and boots.
He had kept his promise that he would return to her.
He walked towards her. They bowed to each other. He held out his hand and she accepted. Together they danced around the white marble pillars. The curtains lifting in the breeze did not disturb their dance. All that mattered to them was each other.
They stopped dancing and smiles were exchanged. He touched her hair and she touched his cheek.
No matter what would happen, they will not lose each other again.
"Wake up!" Joana cried.
"It's too early," Jessie mumbled.
"Anytime is too early for you," said Casey.
Jessie didn't bother to defend herself. Why are we up? she asked herself. For crying out loud! I know it's Friday, but we don't have to go to school until Monday!
Then she remembered. Last night they had agreed that they would all go see 'Phoenix: Fire and Passion.' And Jessie had made a silent vow that she wasn't leaving the hotel. She put her pillow over her head and groaned.
"Come on, get up," said Gwen, "the movie starts at ten."
"And what, pray tell, is the time now?" Jessie asked, her voice muffled by the pillow.
"Quarter to seven."
"You have more than enough time to get ready."
"Hello," said Casey, "there are five of us here and only one bathroom. Not to mention we have to go out for breakfast."
"Four people for the bathroom and I'll call room service," Jessie said, still under the pillow.
"You're not going?" asked Joana.
"No, I don't feel good."
Twyla walked over to Jessie and picked up the pillow. "What's the matter?" she asked. "Is the pepperoni repeating on you?"
"It's not the pepperoni," said Jessie, taking back the pillow and placing it behind her head. "It's probably the jet lag kicking in late." That was a lie. Jessie was ready to get dressed and go out with them, but yesterday's event drove fear into her mind. "I'll go see it some other time," she said.
After Casey, Joana, Gwen, and Twyla left the room, Jessie remained on the air mattress for a few minutes. She wanted so badly to go see the movie, but too afraid to leave the hotel and have some other wacko chase after her and her friends as well.
She stood up and stretched. Sighing, she straightened the air mattress covers and moved it next to the wall. Then she went to her suitcase and took out a pair of sweat pants, a baggy T-shirt, and underwear. She changed her clothes and put the nightshirt and shorts into the laundry bag.
Jessie opened her backpack and took out a package of blueberry pop tarts. She felt a little guilty hiding them from her friends, but she loved blueberry filled pop tarts.
After breakfast, Jessie turned on the TV. She turned it off after flipping trough the channels a dozen times and finding nothing that interested her. Sighing, Jessie leaned back in the chair and closed her eyes. Boredom was beginning to seep into her.
I've got to do something, she thought. A smile brightened her face. She walked over to her suitcase and took out her sketchbook and colored pencils.
About five months ago, Jessie had begun to draw samurai armor with a twist. She opened her sketchbook and flipped through the pages, coming across a green colored armor, accompanied by a very long sword, no sheath. Jessie stared at this picture and recalled the dream from last night of her and the young man she had ran into yesterday, dancing in a white marble palace. She smiled and continued turning the pages and found her latest picture. Jessie picked up a pencil and began to color it in.
Kento ran up the stairs, a bagel in his mouth and a newspaper in his hand. He stopped in his room.
Hmm, which one to wake up first? Kento thought. Rowen? Uh-uh, he'll use his super-brain to rearrange my molecules. Sage? No, he'll make me do his laundry by hand. Cye? Well, I tolerate his 'Little Mermaid' soundtrack. Kento finished his bagel and walked over to Cye's bed. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.
"BONSAI!" Kento shouted and jumped on Cye's bed.
"AAAHHH!" Cye bolted awake, eyes opened wide and gasping. His scream had also woken up Sage and Rowen. They too had the same frightened look on their faces. Cye looked at Kento, who had a sheepish grin.
"Kento," said Cye, "I want you to do two things for me. One, what did you jump on my bed for? And two, GET OFF OF MY BED!" Cye kicked him and Kento landed on the floor with a dull thud.
"Kento, are you crazy?" Rowen asked. "Never mind, I know the answer."
"You'll be lucky if Cye's screaming didn't wake up Ryo or Mia," Sage said.
"They're not here," said Kento.
"What?" asked the other three Ronins.
"There's a note on the fridge. Ryo left to take care of some errands and Mia is at Tokyo University."
"How do you like that," said Rowen, "they're both lying just so that they can go out without us teasing them."
"You never know," said Kento, shrugging. "Oh yeah. Here, look at this." He handed the newspaper to Cye. "Open to the movie section."
Cye did as he was told. There was a large picture ad in the middle of the page. "Phoenix: Fire and Passion," Cye read out loud, "from the creators of Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D."
"That's got to be one kick-ass movie," said Kento, "I figured we'd go see it at ten."
"What time is it now?" asked Rowen.
Sage looked at his clock. "Nine-thirty," he said, "we'll never make it to the ten o'clock show. When's the next one?"
"Twelve twenty-five," said Cye, "we'd better get there early. I guarantee you that the first show will be packed."
"I'm willing to bet," said Rowen, "that Ryo and Mia are inside the theater, paying more attention to each other then the movie."
However, Rowen was wrong about Ryo and Mia's whereabouts.
Mia was at Tokyo University, helping the faculty organize the school schedules.
Ryo was in the Dynasty, meditating in the shrine built for Anubis' memory. White Blaze was lying next to Ryo, as if he was keeping guard. Anubis was in the shrine watching Ryo.
No one wants you to go through this, Ryo, Anubis thought. Kayura, Dayus, Cale, and Sekhmet hate watching you suffer. Me most of all. You said that it was the only way. But I still believe that we could have done something else at that time.
Cale approached the shrine and stood at the entrance. "Ryo," he called, "it's time."
Ryo turned around and nodded. He stood up, faced the altar, put his hands together and bowed. Ryo left the shrine, picking up his sneakers by the entrance. White Blaze followed. Anubis, however, stayed in the shrine. He didn't want his presence to disturb Kayura's concentration.
"These ceremonies are becoming more frequent," Cale said, breaking the silence.
"I know," said Ryo, "but look on the bright side. I see you and the others more than Sage, Cye, Kento, or Rowen do."
Cale smiled. Ryo was always trying to cheer someone up despite what he had to go through.
"Oh well," Ryo sighed, "what can you do?"
White Blaze bumped his head against Ryo's leg and he scratched between the tiger's ears.
They arrived at a small building and Cale opened the door. Inside Kayura, Dayus, and Sekhmet were waiting. Ryo left his shoes outside and walked in.
"Dr. Kayura," said Ryo with a grin, "it's good to see you again. How are you?"
"I'm fine, thank you," Kayura said.
"Sekhmet, how are you?"
"The same," replied the Warlord, "you?"
"I'll let you know after this is over," said Ryo.
"Well the sooner it's started, the sooner it's done with," Dayus said.
"The ceremony or my screaming?" Ryo asked.
"Everything," answered Dayus.
"Come on, Ryo," Kayura said.
"Yeah, yeah, I know," Ryo mumbled. He walked to the center of a nine-pointed star drawn on the floor, a candle burning at each point. Ryo sat down and unbuttoned his shirt. Before lying down, he took a bandanna out of his pocket.
"Ryo," said Kayura, "how many times did I tell you that you don't have to where a blindfold."
"Truth?" asked Ryo.
"Truth."
"All right. I don't want Dayus making good on his threats if he suspects me looking up your kimono." He tied the bandanna over his eyes. "This is my insurance."
Kayura looked at her husband and Dayus shrugged.
Ryo laid back, opened his shirt, and spread out his arms so that he was in cross formation. Kayura waved her hand and the Warlords tied rope around Ryo's wrists and ankles.
"I have to ask," said Ryo, "why did you start tying me down last year?"
"You were thrashing around so much, you almost hit me in the head," Dayus said, "I want to keep my other eye, so this is our insurance."
Ryo smiled. He heard a low rumble and a wet tongue licked his cheek. "White Blaze," he said, "go lay down." The tiger bounded out the door.
"He left," said Cale.
I meant the corner, Ryo thought.
White Blaze ran all the way to Anubis' Shrine. He went inside and looked at Anubis, who was sitting in front of the altar. White Blaze walked over to Anubis and lay down next to him. Anubis placed his hand on top of the tiger's head and scratched between his ears.
<It's amazing how you can see me in here while the others can't, > he said.
White Blaze gave a low grumble.
Anubis smiled. <You love that boy a lot, don't you? > he asked. <You can't stand to see him go through that agony anymore than I. > Anubis looked out the doorway. <So it begins. >
"Ready?" Kayura asked. She was kneeling next to Ryo, holding a long pointed needle in her hand.
"Yes," said Ryo.
"Breathe deeply."
Ryo did as he was told. He felt all his muscles relax and his mind cleared.
Kayura positioned the needle in the center of his chest. Ryo felt the sharp tip, but it did not disturb his breathing.
Here goes, Kayura thought. She swallowed hard and started to chant. Her words had the same rhythm as Ryo's breathing.
Kayura pushed the needle about a quarter of an inch into Ryo's chest and he inhaled sharply from the pain. Kayura pulled the needle out of his chest and a little blood flowed from the mark. Using the needle like a paintbrush, Kayura spread Ryo's blood over his chest, creating a nine-pointed star inside a circle.
Kayura stood up and walked away from Ryo, until she was outside the star and candles. She chanted louder and walked around Ryo, paying no heed to the Warlords, who were leaning against the wall.
Ryo felt that he was on fire from the inside out. The feeling was nothing like the feeling of the Wildfire Armor. He tried to contain the pain inside him, but it was too great and he let out a scream of agony that was heard all the way to Anubis' Shrine. White Blaze roared at Ryo's cry of pain and Anubis placed a comforting arm on the tiger.
Jessie smiled as she finished coloring her picture of a black tiger with white armor, carrying two swords. She turned the page and pain struck her in her chest and seared through her body. Jessie gasped and fell from the chair to the floor. Tears streamed down her face from the agony as she curled into a fetal position and sobbed.
The pain left as suddenly as it had come. Slowly, Jessie unfolded herself from her position, afraid that the pain would return. She picked up her sketchbook and looked at the page that it had fallen open to. It was a picture of red and white armor with twin katana blades attached to the back.
"Sealed inside," Jessie whispered, "sealed inside."
Kayura took the blindfold off Ryo and placed her hand on his forehead. She sighed and nodded to the Warlords. They untied his hands and feet and carried him to a small room, lying him down on a mat.
"How long do you think he'll sleep?" asked Cale.
"I don't know," said Kayura.
"Let's hope that he doesn't sleep too long like last time," said Dayus, placing a blanket over Ryo. Three weeks, he thought, and I had to create an illusion of you so that the other Ronins wouldn't be suspicious. Dayus stood up. "Whose turn to keep watch?"
"I'll stay," said Sekhmet.
White Blaze stuck his head through the doorway. Seeing Ryo on the mat, the tiger walked over to Ryo and lay down next to him.
"Looks like you've got company Sekhmet," said Dayus. He patted White Blaze's head.
"He can stay here," said Sekhmet, "I won't chase him out." He sat down and leaned against the wall.
The remaining trio left. Cale went to the dojo for a little self-training. Dayus and Kayura went to their room.
He watched helplessly as she battled her enemy. She had done well training in his Armor, and so had the others. But they were dead and she was on her own.
"LOOK OUT!" he screamed. But she couldn't hear him and the sword went through her heart.
"NO!" Ryo bolted upright. Gasping, he put his hands on his face and wiped away the sweat. White Blaze licked his face. "White Blaze." He scratched the tiger's chin. Where am I? Ryo asked himself. Oh yeah. The Dynasty. The ceremony. Ryo looked down at his chest and the blood was gone. He buttoned his shirt.
"Five hours," said a deep voice. Ryo looked over by the door and saw Sekhmet. He stood up and walked over to Ryo. "Last time it was three weeks," said the Warlord.
"That's a new record for me then, isn't it?" asked Ryo, grinning.
Sekhmet helped Ryo to his feet and they walked to the Main Hall. White Blaze walking between Ronin and Warlord.
"What did you dream about?" asked Sekhmet.
"Did Kayura tell you about that girl we helped yesterday?" Ryo asked.
"The one that was chased by the Nether Soldier, right?"
Ryo nodded. "She was in my dream. She was wearing Wildfire."
"The sword went through her heart and I woke up," Ryo finished explaining his dream, "screaming, of course."
"She was wearing your Armor?" asked Cale.
Ryo nodded. They were sitting in the main hall. Ryo, Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus were sharing a bottle of sake. Kayura had a cup of tea.
"Now I definitely have to see her," said Kayura, "it may have only been a dream, but still, dreams often predict the future or mean something else."
Ryo quickly drank the sake from the little glass and set it down in front of him. "So she'll die wearing my Wildfire Armor?" he asked.
"I don't know," Kayura shook her head.
"But wouldn't her soul have to be Virtue?" asked Dayus. "So that she could wear Wildfire?"
"That's right," said Kayura, "Anubis' soul is Loyalty and so is mine. And when he sent the Cruelty Armor to me, I didn't have any problems bonding with it."
But he died shortly after that, Ryo thought. Then he reminded himself that Anubis had died from his injuries. "Let's say that this dream does happen," said Ryo, "is she my permanent replacement or my temporary replacement?"
"I'm not sure," said Kayura.
"Well I'm sure on one thing, if she is my replacement, from my dream, she doesn't last very long." He sighed. "I'd better get going."
Ryo stood up.
And fell back down.
The Warlords looked at him.
"Maybe I'll have one for the road," Ryo laughed and reached for the sake.
White Blaze hit the bottle with his paw and it rolled over to Sekhmet.
"Ryo, how much did you have?" Sekhmet asked.
"Two," answered Ryo.
White Blaze growled.
"Three."
Another growl.
"All right, all right," Ryo surrendered. "Six."
"Ryo," Kayura sighed.
"Well, the more, the merrier and the less pain I feel," he said. Ryo stood up, teetered a little, turned around towards the door, tripped over White Blaze, and landed flat on his face. Everyone broke out into laughter. "I think I'll sleep this off," said Ryo, rolling onto his back.
"Sleep it off in your own house," said Kayura.
"But the guys would get curious as to how I'm drunk and there isn't a bottle open in the house," said Ryo, "besides, I have a class tomorrow."
Kayura groaned and stood up. She walked over to Ryo, placed her hand on his forehead and muttered a chant.
"Thank you," said Ryo, "next time I have a hangover-"
"I don't cure hangovers," Kayura interrupted him. "I only cure the pre-drunken and drunken stages."
"It was worth a shot," Ryo said, "speaking of which-"
"No!" the four yelled and White growled.
"Okay, okay, I get the picture." Ryo stood up and put on his sneakers. "Race you to the Gate?"
Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus agreed.
"I'll meet you there," said Kayura.
"Come on, Kayura," Dayus pleaded.
"I'm not running in this!" she yelled at him.
"Why not?" Dayus asked. That I would love to see.
"You try running in my kimono!"
"No thank you!" Dayus yelled, standing up.
It's a miracle they haven't killed each other yet, Ryo thought, watching Dayus and Kayura fight. How do these two stay married?
Kayura was in the middle of an insult when Dayus stopped her with a kiss. Shock first appeared on Kayura's face, and then it melted away as she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Dayus' neck.
Ryo just stood there with his mouth open. Cale and Sekhmet quickly and quietly stood up and left the room. Ryo and White Blaze followed and Ryo shut the door.
"I'm afraid to ask what goes on here at night," said Ryo.
"Once in a while, when they have a big argument," said Cale, "they scream at each other at the top of their lungs, and then it's all quiet."
"Because?" Ryo asked, slightly fearing the answer.
"Let's just say that you don't see them for sometime after," said Sekhmet, "if you know what I mean."
"Oh my God!" Ryo exclaimed. And they torment me for going out with Mia, he thought. The guys would have a field day with Dayus and Kayura!
The door opened and Dayus walked out. "Don't say a thing," he warned, "don't say a damn thing."
Ryo couldn't help laughing at the innocent looks on the other two Warlords' faces. "Come on," said Ryo, "I want to be home in time for dinner, before Kento eats it all."
"Still the Human Garbage Disposal?" asked Dayus.
"Unfortunately," said Ryo. "On the count of three. One... two... White Blaze!" The tiger had bounded off ahead. "Three!" Ryo shouted and all four sprinted after White Blaze, running towards the Gate.
You're going to get it now, you overgrown cat! Ryo thought as he turned a corner.
"When I see her, I'll try to find out why the Nether Soldier was after her," Kayura said. She was standing near the Gate to the Mortal Realm, holding the Ancient Staff, which was glowing.
<See that you do, > said Anubis. <And be careful just in case. >
At that moment, White Blaze ran towards Kayura and sat down next to her.
Anubis smiled. <He can see me in the Shrine you built for me, > he said.
"He's lucky," said Kayura, patting White Blaze on his head. "For me to see you I need to use the Staff."
<In a way, I consider that good. > Anubis said. Kayura gave him a confused look. <I'm tired of listening to apologies from Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus. If they could actually see me, I'd never hear anything from them except 'I'm sorry.' >
"And I'm tired of delivering their messages to you," Kayura sighed. "They'll be here shortly."
<Yes, > said Anubis. <I'd better get back to the Spirit Realm. Good-bye, White Blaze. > He reached to pet White Blaze, but his hand passed through the tiger. A sad look appeared on Anubis' face. <I forgot I'm not in the Shrine, > he said sadly.
"Anubis," said Kayura. He had become like an older brother to her, giving her advice and helping her with the Cruelty Armor and the Ancient Staff.
<I'll see you later, > Anubis said and faded away.
The Staff stopped glowing and the rings clanged once. Kayura sighed.
Dayus came running around the corner and stopped a few feet before Kayura, startling her. "I win," he gasped as the others arrived.
"Well," said Ryo, taking a deep breath. "I guess four hundred, fifty years doesn't slow you down." Neither does sake.
"When you live as long as we have," said Dayus.
"I probably won't," said Ryo.
"You never know."
"All right, Ryo," said Kayura, "time for you to go home." She raised the Staff and the Gate opened. "Now I want you to take it easy," Kayura went on, "get a lot of rest and don't do anything stressful."
"Yes, mother," Ryo said jokingly as he and White Blaze walked through the Gate into the Mortal Realm. He turned around and looked at the Warlords until the Gate closed and disappeared. Ryo sighed and walked to Mia's house. No one was home, so Ryo went upstairs and took a nap. White Blaze also took a nap on the floor next to Ryo's bed.
It was around 6:30 p.m. by the time Casey, Joana, Gwen, and Twyla returned to the hotel.
Jessie had taken the liberty of ordering wonton soup from Room Service. She was about to open her fortune cookie when her friends walked in.
"You missed a great movie," said Casey.
"It must have been great since you were gone for almost ten hours," said Jessie, "I didn't know movies ran that long or theaters gave handouts either." She pointed to the bags her friends were carrying.
"So we hit the mall after the movie." Gwen admitted.
"Why didn't you say that you were going to the mall?" Jessie asked. "I would have gone with you."
"You said that you weren't feeling well, Sis," Joana pointed out, "and besides, you would spend the entire time in the arcade."
"So?"
"So then we would have to physically drag you out like last time," Twyla said.
"Are you still mad at me because I spent five hours on the pinball machine?" Jessie asked.
"No, I'm happy for you because you broke the record," said Twyla, "I'm mad because you put our bus money into the machine."
"My brother picked us up."
"He had Susan in the car with him and I can't stand her!"
"Neither can I and she's going to be my sister-in-law next year!"
"What?!" All four gawked at Jessie.
"Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you," she said, "Hank proposed to her two weeks ago."
"He actually proposed to her?" Twyla asked.
"Right in front of my parents and me, on his knees," Jessie said, "I don't know who was shocked more, my parents or Susan."
"I would say your parents," said Gwen.
Jessie shrugged as she opened her fortune cookie. "Listen to this," she said, "'You will control and be protected by the powers of Nature'."
"Weird fortune," said Casey. "How many cookies are left?"
"There's four if you want them."
The other girls each took one.
"'Love can be anywhere, even in darkness'." Casey read hers. "I wonder if that means I'll meet a new guy."
"Well there has to be one guy out there with your name on him," Jessie smiled, "maybe he's a demonic person."
"Shut up," said Casey, "I don't see you with someone."
"Because I haven't found him yet," Jessie said. "Gwen, what does yours say?"
"'Emotions need nutrition as much as the body'." Gwen said.
"Well, you are a good cook," said Joana. "Here's mine. 'Let your intuition guide you like the waves in the sea'."
"But you can't swim," said Twyla, "it takes you twenty minutes just for you to get your feet in a swimming pool."
"I know," Joana sighed. "What's your fortune?"
"'Though your feet are on the ground, look to the stars for guidance.' Interesting," said Twyla.
"As I said before," said Casey, "weird fortunes. By the way, Jessie, look at what I bought." She opened her bag and began to pull out various items and placed them on her bed. "I'm going to wear this Monday."
Jessie looked at the displayed outfit - a mini-skirt, a tank top, an over-shirt, leggings, and flat shoes. "For?" Jessie asked.
"School! Dummy!" said Casey
Oh my God! I completely forgot! Jessie thought.
As the others were discussing what to wear for school, Jessie walked over to the chair and sat down. How was she going to get out of this one? She still didn't want to leave the hotel out of fear, and her friends would be suspicious as to why she wouldn't leave the hotel when she was so excited to come to Japan.
"Jessie, what are you going to wear?" asked Joana.
Here goes nothing, Jessie swallowed. "I'm not going."
"Excuse me?" asked Gwen.
"I'm not going," Jessie repeated and turned on the TV.
"Why?" Twyla asked.
"Because I don't want to," she said. That was so lame.
"Jessie, you are going to school," said Casey.
"Because if you don't," said Joana.
"We will send on the first flight," said Gwen.
"Back to New York," Twyla finished.
Jessie stood up, walked over to her suitcase, opened it, and took out a T-shirt which had written on it, 'Any Cooler, I'd be An Ice Cube.'
"Do you think this is too much for the first day?" Jessie asked.
"What a movie!" said Kento as he drove his van homeward.
"The animation was beautiful!" said Cye.
"I love the part where Phoenix blasted Bracis's head off," said Rowen.
"Yeah, that was so awesome," Sage said.
"Man, I'm hungry," said Kento, "Cye, hand me a slice of pizza, would you?"
"Cye, don't you dare," Rowen warned.
"I wasn't planning to," said Cye. He was sitting in the front passenger seat, holding a pizza box. Rowen and Sage, who were sitting in the back, were also holding pizza boxes.
"Come on," begged Kento. "Please?"
"Kento, the last time you ate while driving," said Rowen, "you nearly hit a telephone pole."
"I missed it, didn't I?"
"Barely," said Sage.
Cye decided to keep quiet. He wanted to enjoy his pizza at the house and in one piece. Kento pulled the van into the driveway and everyone got out, Kento still begging for a pizza slice. White Blaze greeted them as they entered the house.
"Hey, White Blaze," said Sage, balancing the pizza with one hand to scratch the tiger's head. "Where's Ryo?"
"Right here," Ryo yawned as he came down the stairs. "Where's Mia?"
"We thought you two went to see 'Phoenix'," said Kento.
"No, I left a note for you guys and left around six-thirty this morning," said Ryo stretching. "Didn't you read it?"
"So then Mia did go to Tokyo University this morning," said Cye.
"Tokyo University?" Ryo asked. "What did she go there for?"
"Could someone help me, please?" Mia called from the door. Ryo hurried over to Mia and took one of the boxes she was carrying. "Thanks," she said, "the Dean asked me to hold onto these until they have the Records Office straightened out."
"Where do you want it?" Ryo asked.
"Upstairs in the study."
As they walked upstairs, the others huddled together.
"So they didn't go see 'Phoenix' this morning," said Sage.
"Okay, we know that Mia was at Tokyo University," said Rowen, "but where did Ryo go?"
They disbanded at the sound of Ryo and Mia's footsteps.
"Pizza!" shouted Kento. "Supper time!"
Poor Rowen, thought Ryo, still can't cook without destroying something. He always orders out when it's his turn to cook.
That night in the Dynasty, Kayura and Dayus were lying on the queen size mattress that Mia had bought them for an anniversary present. She also had bought one for Sekhmet and one for Cale.
Kayura was lying on her right side, wide-awake. Dayus was behind her and she heard him shift his position.
All afternoon, since Ryo had said, "Yes, mother," Kayura felt a little depressed. Even though Ryo had been joking, the word "mother" had struck a cord inside Kayura. Her maternal clock was ticking.
She rolled onto her left side, facing Dayus' back, and moved closer to him so that she pressed up against him. "Dayus?" whispered Kayura.
"Hmm?" came the sleepy reply.
Kayura slid her arm around her husband's waist. "I want a baby."
Dayus' eye opened VERY wide. He turned to look at his wife. "Now?" he asked stupidly.
Kayura slapped his arm. "Not now," she snapped, "sometime soon would be nice."
"Oh," said Dayus.
Kayura turned away from him, muttering that he was an insensitive dolt.
Dayus turned on his back. What had caused Kayura to bring up having a child? He actually loved the idea of creating a new life with Kayura, but never brought up the subject. And why was she acting the way she was?
Then it hit him. Kayura never had a childhood. Kidnapped, brainwashed, and her family slain, Kayura was robbed of the one thing in life that she could never have again - childhood memories.
Talpa had taken that from her. Dayus gripped the blankets hard. Talpa had erased his own childhood memories. So had Sekhmet's and Cale's. However, Dayus could remember little bits about his family. He had one sister, yet couldn't remember if she was older or younger than he was, or whether she married or not.
"Not all of your memories will be restored," Kayura had said when she finished talking to Anubis, three months after defeating Talpa. All they could do now was move forward.
And that's why Kayura wanted a baby. She wanted to give it the love and attention that was stolen from her. And so did Dayus.
He put his hand on Kayura's shoulder and she turned around to look at him. Dayus pulled her to him and Kayura rested her head on his chest, listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart.
"Whenever you decide it's the right time to have a baby," said Dayus, "we'll have one."
"You mean it?" Kayura asked, looking at him.
"Yes," he answered, "I'm not saying it just to make you feel better. I want to be a father as much as you want to be a mother."
"Oh Dayus," said Kayura, tears welling in her eyes.
"Don't cry, love," Dayus said. He kissed the top of her head. Kayura lay down again and Dayus rubbed her back. "Of course," said Dayus, "I wouldn't mind giving it a try sooner than planned." His hand traveled off her back.
"Oh really?" Kayura asked in a sultry voice. "What makes you think I'll cooperate?"
"What makes you think you won't?"
They kissed and the rest of the night was spent in blissful heaven.

February 18, 2001
Changed the days in here after looking at looking at the calendar. To be truthful, this is supposed to be taking place in 2001.