Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Unusual Allies ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime (With help from one of my best friends, Squeaky)
Part Six - Unusual Allies
**********
Jessie was in the palace again, the place of the dancing, but something was terribly wrong. Everything was silent and rubble cluttered the floor. It looked as if the ceiling and pillars had collapsed into themselves. There was a bright light, and a circle of cloaked figures, whose faces were totally obscured by their hoods, surrounded her.
"Good," came Ryo's voice. "You have come."
"Do you see what has happened in your absence?" asked Mia's voice. "Do you see the pain that has been caused?"
The scene changed now to include bodies in the rubble.
Jessie hugged herself for support. "What are you talking about?"
"You gave yourself over before the great battle," said Gwen's voice.
"Over to what?" Jessie asked. "What battle?"
"The enemy," said Rowen's voice. "The end."
"I don't understand-"
"You will," said Casey.
"History repeats itself," said Sage. "Unless you alter the course of the patterns."
She turned in that direction. "And how do I do that?"
"You have been here," said Kento.
"You will know," said Cye.
"Oh really?" asked Jessie, arms crossed now to keep herself from shaking the next speaker out of his or her cryptic daze.
"They should have been told sooner," said Kayura.
"But even we didn't remember," said Dayus.
"You have to tell someone," said Cale.
"To alter your pattern," finished Sekhmet.
The shortest figure stepped forward and reached out to touch Jessie's right arm. "You just have to know who to ask." The pink sleeve was Victorian looking, the voice surely Joana, but…
"It's time," said Twyla, coming forward, extending her right arm, covered by a lavender sleeve, and reached for Jessie's left temple. "Good luck, Faith," she said as the scene vanished.
Jessie woke up with a start, sweat down her back. She heard a low growl and looked at White Blaze lying on the blankets, staring at her, as if he knew something was bothering her. Jessie inhaled deeply, swung her legs over the side of the bed, and sat there, debating if the dream was a dream or a warning.
"Jessie?"
She looked over to the other bed and saw Ryo looking at her.
"Are you okay?" he asked.
"Yeah," she said meekly. "But I think I'm the one who should be asking you that question."
Ryo got off his bed, slowly walked over to Jessie's, and sat next to her. "What's the matter?"
"I don't know," she whispered. "I dreamed I was in the palace again, where I was dancing with Sage… but it was in ruins. Someone or something destroyed it. Then there was a bright light and these people appeared. They were talking to me and they sounded like you, Mia, Rowen, Kento, Cye, Sage, Kayura, Dayus, Sekhmet, Cale, Casey, Joana, Gwen, and Twyla."
"Just us?" Ryo asked.
"No," said Jessie. "Including me, there were twenty there. I know them… but I can't say who other than the ones I named."
"What did we… they say?"
You have to tell someone.
Jessie opened her mouth to tell him.
You just have to know who to ask.
Ryo saw the hesitation in Jessie's eyes. "It's okay," he said, "you don't have to tell me now. When you're ready you can."
"It's not that, Ryo," Jessie said, looking at him. "I don't know who to talk to about it." She looked away from him and Ryo saw tears welling in her eyes. He put his arm around her. She hugged him. "I'm scared," she whispered.
"It's okay," Ryo said quietly, letting go of Jessie. "C'mon, I think Kayura would be a little upset if she found out that her spell was used in vain. Try to get some more sleep."
Jessie nodded and lay down on her bed. Ryo put the blankets over her.
"Deja vu." Jessie said. "I did the same thing for you. Is this going to be a pattern? I tuck you in, you tuck me in?"
"The way things are going now," said Ryo. "I wouldn't be surprised." He walked over to his bed. "Night, Jessie."
"Night, Ryo." Jessie said. She reached out and patted White Blaze's head. The tiger licked her hand and purred. Jessie smiled and soon was asleep along with the rest of the household.
"She is starting to remember."
"What about the others?"
"Not yet, but they will too, eventually. Just as you have."
"Yes, I have. But I don't want them to remember the same way I did."
"Don't worry. They won't remember that way, I promise you."
"It's funny. After so many centuries we've all met up again."
"Yes, it is. That's Fate for you. And all of you must fulfill your Destiny."
"Fate and Destiny. You can't escape either one. They go hand in hand with each other."
Dayus yawned and rested his head in his left hand. Cale's head was on the table. Dayus looked at Sekhmet, whose eyes were darker than before due to lack of sleep. They hit Cale and he sat up quick.
"What was that for?" he demanded.
"We're awake, so you stay awake." Dayus said.
"At least I wasn't interrupted while being with my wife," said Cale. "Is that why you're crankier than us?"
Sekhmet started to laugh. Dayus stood up.
"Dayus, don't," Sekhmet said. "It was a long night. Be glad that Ryo and Jessie are okay now."
"That's true," said Dayus, sitting down again.
Ryo had awakened five hours after the ceremony. Weak, but otherwise out of danger. Both he and Jessie were suffering from fatigue. When they went back to Mia's house, Kayura cast a spell on them, so that when they woke up, Ryo and Jessie would feel rested, as if they had slept all night.
The Warlords, however, did not prosper and now they were feeling their age.
"But still," said Cale, "right in the middle of it."
"I hope you drop your tea on your-" Dayus stopped as Kayura walked in carrying a tray with four cups of tea. He took the tray from her and she sat down.
"I'm tired," she said, "I want to go back to bed."
"We all need our sleep," Sekhmet said and sipped his tea.
The rings on the staff began to clang. Kayura put her cup down and chanted. "Hello Anubis," she said.
<Good morning! > Anubis said cheerfully. <How are you this beautiful day? >
"Oh, shut up," Kayura snapped.
<My, my, aren't we cranky. > He circled around them. <You four look awful. I've never seen you like this. >
"I hate to say this," said Kayura, "but you're getting on my nerves."
"Is he that bad?" Dayus asked.
"He's too cheery for me at this moment."
"That's something we never saw," said Cale.
And never will, Anubis thought. <I came here because I have something important to tell you, > he said.
"Go ahead," said Kayura.
<You remember I told you that I could see Ryo's aura during the ceremonies? >
"Yes, I remember." Kayura said.
<Last night, I saw Ryo's aura, > said Anubis, <and I also saw Jessie's. >
"You saw her aura?" Kayura asked surprised.
"Whose aura?" asked Dayus.
"Jessie's."
"She has an aura?" Cale asked.
"If what Sage told us about the Nether Soldier saying that Jessie has a lot of power is true," said Sekhmet, "her having an aura is no surprise."
"I'm too tired to think right now," said Cale as he stretched.
"What color is it?" Kayura asked Anubis.
<I'll let each of you take a guess, > he said.
"He's letting us guess," Kayura told the others.
"Blue?" asked Dayus.
<No. >
"No."
"Purple?" asked Sekhmet.
<No. >
"No."
"Red?" asked Cale
<No. >
"No," said Kayura. "White?" She sipped her tea.
<Wrong again, > said Anubis. <It's gold. >
Kayura spit her tea out and it hit Sekhmet's face. Cale burst out into laughter, Sekhmet wiped his face with his sleeve, and Dayus patted Kayura's back.
"I'm fine," she coughed. "Sekhmet, I'm very sorry." She turned to Anubis. "Are you absolutely sure?!"
<Have I been a spirit for six years? > Anubis asked.
"Ancient One…" Kayura whispered.
"What's wrong?" Dayus asked.
"Jessie's aura."
"What about it?"
"It's gold!" said Kayura. "Jessie has a gold aura!"
"What?!" Dayus exclaimed. "That's impossible!"
"Tell that to her aura," said Kayura.
"Wait a minute," said Sekhmet. "Our auras are the same color as our Armors. Except you, Kayura, since you're descended from the Ancient Clan. But when we don't have our Armors with us, our auras are gold because we've lived here for more than four hundred years."
"But Jessie has only been in the Dynasty twice," said Cale. "She hasn't lived here for a long time like we have."
"Is it possible that maybe she's from the Ancient Clan?" asked Dayus.
<No, she's not, > said Anubis. <I checked her family ancestry after the ceremony. Her bloodline is from the Eastern and Western parts of Europe. >
"She's not from the Ancient Clan," said Kayura. "Why is Jessie's aura gold?"
"Maybe she was a spirit that was trapped here, escaped, and was reincarnated," said Dayus. "Just a theory."
<That's possible, > said Anubis. <I'll look into that. >
"He'll check on your theory, Dayus." Kayura said. "Maybe she was an escaped soul and the Nether Realm wants her back."
"There's a movie from America that sounds like that," said Cale. "I believe it was called 'Poltergeist'. A demon posed as a minister in the eighteen hundreds, claimed that the end of the world was coming. The villagers sealed their children inside a cave with him, so that they would be safe. He ate the children's souls. Only one escaped and she was reborn one hundred years later. He went after her again, but he was stopped. Ryo told me about it."
"I don't know about eating her soul," said Kayura, "but the Nether Realm does want Jessie for her power."
"And she didn't know she had any until she came to Japan," said Sekhmet.
"Why don't we bring her here?" Dayus asked. "The Nether Realm can't get in here anymore and you can teach Jessie how to use her power, Kayura."
"It sounds like a good idea," said Kayura, "but we can't. One, even though Ryo trusts us, the other Ronins don't. They'd be suspicious and quick to blame us. Two, her friends. From what Ryo told me about their bond with each other, it would be very hard to deceive them."
"So we have to let the Ronins protect her at Mia's house." Cale said.
Kayura nodded solemnly.
"What about when she's at school?" Sekhmet asked. "We can't follow her there like Dayus did at the mall."
<I'll watch her at school, > said Anubis. <It'll be easy for me. No one else is going to see me except Jessie. >
"Would you?" Kayura asked. "In case anything happens, alert us as fast as you can."
<I will, > Anubis promised. <I'll see you later. > He vanished and the rings on the Staff ceased their ringing.
"What's the matter with you?" Casey asked. "You were acting too weird in class."
"Sorry," Jessie apologized, "but Plato aggravates me. He's the one that believed that women should be barefoot, pregnant, and nothing more. It's a good thing he's dead, because I'd change his opinion the hard way."
"So would I," said Casey. "But, God, you were acting like you were from another planet."
Sometimes that's the way I feel, Jessie thought. Especially after that dream last night… She looked down the hallway for Twyla, Gwen, and Joana. "Ah, there they are," she said and they walked over to them.
"What kept you two?" Twyla asked.
"Miss Space Cadet over here." Casey answered as they headed for the cafeteria.
"Daydreaming about a certain blonde fellow whom we room with?" Gwen asked.
"Shut up," Jessie hissed, feeling her cheeks grow warm. "If I were you, I wouldn't talk, seeing how you know almost everything about a certain never-ending appetite. All but his shoe size."
"Why would you want to know his shoe size?" Joana asked.
"You know what they say about men with big feet," Gwen said with a twinkle in her eye.
<Gee, I never thought you girls were like that. >
Jessie turned around and saw Anubis standing behind them, grinning. "How long have you been standing there?" she asked before she could stop herself.
"Sis, are you all right?" Joana asked. She reached up to put her hand on Jessie's forehead as Twyla checked Jessie's pulse.
<Oops, > said Anubis.
"I'm fine." Jessie held her arms out making it look like she was stretching and grabbed Anubis's wrist. "I'll see you in the cafeteria." She walked into the girls' restroom, dragging Anubis with her.
<Really, I shouldn't be in here, > Anubis said as Jessie checked to make sure that there was no one else. <I may be a spirit, but I'm still a man. So I think it would be best if I- >
Jessie grabbed the front of his robe and pulled him close. "If you ever do that again," she warned, "I will kick you so hard, you will land in your next afterlife."
Anubis stared at Jessie in shock. She could see and touch him. And with the power she had inside, Anubis had no doubt that she was capable of doing so. <Okay, I'm sorry, > he said.
Jessie released him. "Answer my question," she said. "How long were you standing there?"
<I've been following you since you left the house this morning, > he answered.
"Why?"
<Would you rather have Sekhmet, Cale, and Dayus follow you like they did at the mall? >
"They were at the mall?" Jessie asked. "That's how they got there so quick."
<Kayura believes that you should be watched all the time, > Anubis said. <Dayus was able to watch you at the mall using his illusions and by walking on the ceiling. Here on campus, there's less space for him to move around. That's why I'm here. >
"Oh man," Jessie sighed. "Do the Ronins know you're here?"
<Not yet, you'll have to tell them. >
"Okay, since you're going to be watching me at school, I just want you to do one favor for me."
<Sure. >
"The next time you have to do something like what you did before, please warn me. Because now I have to make up an excuse for my friends."
<All right. >
Jessie opened the door and they walked to the cafeteria.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
November
Rowen was sitting on the stairs, his robe in his lap, waiting for someone to get out of either of the two bathrooms.
I would like to take a shower sometime this century, he thought.
The downstairs bathroom door opened. Rowen quickly jumped up, ran down the steps, headed for the bathroom, and almost collided with Twyla.
"YIE!" she shrieked and put her hand over her heart. "Rowen! You scared me!
Rowen didn't say anything, just stared at Twyla. She was wearing her lavender bathrobe and slippers. Her hair was wet and she had her clothes under her arm.
"Are you okay?" she asked.
"I-I-I-I..." Rowen stuttered. What's the matter with me? "I j-just wanted to get t-to the s-shower."
Casey walked by, stopped, and looked at them. "Seducing him, Twy?" she asked with a grin.
"No, that's your favorite past-time, Casey," Twyla said.
"Very funny," huffed Casey. "Have you seen Joana or Gwen? I can't find them anywhere. I know this is a big house, but still, no sign of them."
"They went to meet up with Cye and Kento at Crystal Blue," said Rowen.
"Crystal Blue?" Casey asked.
"It's an indoor beach that opened last month," Twyla explained. "Sand. Wave machine. It's like a real beach, only you don't have to worry about sharks."
"Only perverts," Casey laughed. "Where's Jessie?"
"Upstairs, playing the guitar," Twyla sighed. "What else is new?"
"I wonder if Mia regrets finding that thing in the basement," Casey groaned.
"Why?" Rowen asked. "She's good."
"We had a sleepover at Jessie's house this past July and she was playing it at three o'clock in the morning," Twyla said. "We told her if she brought it to Japan we'd break it."
"Yeah, that would do it." Rowen walked towards the bathroom.
A loud crash and two screams made Rowen drop his robe and he ran into the living room. A Nether Soldier stood by the hole in the wall. He was holding a spear one hand and Twyla in the other.
"HELP ME!" Twyla cried franticly.
"Put her down!" Casey pounded on the Nether Soldier's arm. He knocked her to the floor and took off.
"RYO! SAGE!" Rowen shouted. " A NETHER SOLDIER TOOK TWYLA!" He changed into his sub-armor and ran after them through the hole.
"This should be interesting," said Joana. "I love the beach."
Gwen snorted. "No, you love the seawall. Where it's dry."
"No, I love smell of low tide, the sound of the waves, the feel of sand under my feet, those annoying seagulls…"
"You still never get wet. Most people who say they love the beach get wet now and then."
"Not sunbathers!" Joana protested. "I love it when Leon takes me on his boat!"
"That doesn't count," Gwen said. "Besides this is an indoor beach."
"I just can't get used to that idea. What an odd double date." Joana shifted to look out of the bus window. Something felt odd about this whole thing, but she couldn't put her finger on it. She reached up to touch the blue yin yang half, with a tiny black and white yin yang inside it, that hung around her neck. Since Jessie had been acting strange lately, Joana had taken it off her keys to keep it close by.
Gwen noticed and put her arm around Joana. "You worry too much, kiddo," she said. "Besides, Jessie has a few more protectors now."
"Hmm. Why didn't we ever go out for Chinese when we were in New York? I mean, together?"
"Dunno, but I really love the sight of Kento in an apron," Gwen giggled. "Look! There's the sign for Crystal Blue!"
"Doesn't help that he wears a tight tee under it, now does it?" Joana teased, trying to get off the bus before her friend.
"Look who's talking! I know what you're expecting to see. And why did you agree to carry those boxes anyway?"
"Pervert," hissed Joana, angered by the heat she could feel burning in her ears.
Gwen was pleased with her success, but felt a bit uneasy. Why an indoor beach and why the bus? They were all staying at the same house! What was the surprise? As the oldest member of the group, Gwen was only slightly more experience when it came to dates. The idea of a double usually made her more at ease. Maybe it was just the thought of water and Joana mixing… or the attempt, anyway.
When they finally met up with their dates, all four in bathing suits, Gwen felt that her second-mother role would be difficult. Though she had to move next to Kento to ensure he was looking at her face when speaking, rather than what lay below, she was a bit surprised by the way Joana had become flushed, and the awkwardness with which the boys explained that they had planned on surfing a bit before lunch. After the two boys left to go get their boards, Gwen licked her lips and let out the breath she'd been holding.
"Wetsuit," breathed Joana.
"Down girl!" teased Gwen. "Will you braid my hair so I can swim? I mean, if you don't mind being left alone?"
"Sure, but let's get a spot first."
Arms around each other, they headed down the sand.
"Bikini," said Kento, "I love bikinis."
Cye looked at him. "Beach Bunny wasn't wearing a-"
"Don't ever bring that up again!"
Cye bit his lip. "Had you noticed before that... um, that…"
"We had somehow scored hotties?" Kento supplied.
"Uh, right. Let's go get wet."
"You sing one note and I'll break your board in two."
"Who said I was going to sing?" Cye asked innocently. "But now that you've given me the idea…" He began to hum.
"Hey you… wait, that's not from the 'Little Mermaid'. What is that?" Kento fastened the tie to his ankle.
"What's what?"
"What you're humming, idiot."
"Call me that again and you get dunked."
"I'd ask you to try it, but I want to know what the song is."
"I don't know," Cye admitted. "Not the name, anyway." He began paddling out. "I think it's a love song my great-grandmother used to sing. My sister hums it all the time." And it felt appropriate, he added to himself.
Kento noticed his friend redden, but was more concerned with trying not to make a fool out of himself in front of Gwen. Back in California he never had a problem catching waves. But, here with Water Boy… things didn't always go the way he planned.
And I taught him how to surf, Kento thought ruefully.
An hour and several chilidogs later, Kento and Gwen headed off together, leaving Joana and Cye on the beach blanket. Joana looked as uneasy as she felt. Something was going to happen, she just knew it.
"What's the matter, little one?" Cye asked, coming up behind her to put his chin on her shoulder.
Joana smiled and reached back to catch the hand that headed for her waist. "I'm not sure," she said. "Just a feeling in my stomach."
"Must have been from watching Kento eat," Cye laughed and pulled Joana onto his newly formed lap.
She laughed and snuggled into his shoulder. "Doesn't he ever stop?" Joana asked. "I mean, I've lived with you guys only a month-"
"Nope. You've seen him on a diet."
"Eee."
Cye laughed again. "Do you want to go swimming?"
"I-I don't swim."
Cye appeared to think for a moment, then he turned Joana around and, holding her shoulders, looked into her eyes. "Do you trust me?" he asked.
A wave of dizziness passed through Joana. Cye held her steady. Her better judgment should have reminded her of the times in Leon's pool and Twyla's, but her mouth had other plans. "Completely," she said, then shook her head to get rid of the fog. Why did I say that?
At her hesitation, Cye made a quick decision. He picked Joana up and carried her into the water, ignoring the looks of the other beach goers.
"It's not even cold!" she marveled.
"Indoors, heated," he explained. "Keep hold of my wrists, like this." He pulled her out in his wake about twelve feet. "You," he said, "are about to learn how to tread water."
Gwen and Kento held hands as they headed towards the restrooms and venders.
"Please don't tell me that you're going to eat another chilidog and then swim," Gwen said, resting her head on his shoulder.
"I suppose that wouldn't be healthy," said Kento.
"No, it wouldn't- ooh! Remind me to get a postcard later?"
A dark wave passed through Kento. Nether Soldier?
"Hello? Where did you go to?" asked Gwen. "Weren't we going swimming?"
"Sure," said Kento. "Race ya."
"You have a good grip," said Cye. "But you have to let go. I promise I won't let anything happen to-" He tensed and started to feel himself sink. Kicking, he pulled Joana back towards shore.
"I'll only be gone a minute," he said. "I'll leave you by your blanket."
"What?" she asked. "Are you going to pull some kinda Clark Kent thing on me?" You're already out of the phone booth, she thought, feeling his biceps under her hands.
It shouldn't have, but the comment bit. Hard.
"What do you mean?" Cye asked defensively.
Joana was spared to answer by the scream.
Gwen's scream.
Followed by the thud.
And the clatter.
Rowen ran through the woods, dodging trees, trying to keep up with the Nether Soldier and Twyla.
Please, don't let anything happen to her, he begged silently. He chased them to a cave and the Nether Soldier turned around. "Let her go!" Rowen shouted.
"Bring the Callisto," said the Nether Soldier.
"You're not taking either of them!" Rowen attacked and the Nether Soldier knocked him into the wall.
"Rowen!" Twyla cried. "Put me down!"
The Nether Soldier flung Twyla into the wall and she slumped to the ground.
"TWYLA!" Rowen shouted. He looked at the Nether Soldier. "You son-of-a-bitch!" He attacked again with a kick. The Nether Soldier grabbed his leg, slammed him into the wall, and threw him into the opposite wall. Twyla watched in horror as Rowen fell to the ground unconscious.
"ROWEN!" She crawled over to him and placed his head in her lap.
"The Callisto will come," said the Nether Soldier. Twyla looked at him in fright. "Now that I have both of you."
"Think again, bucket-head!" Ryo charged in, wearing his sub-armor, and attacked the Nether Soldier. Sage, also in his sub-armor, appeared next to Twyla and Rowen.
"How is he?" Sage asked.
"He's out cold," said Twyla. "What the hell is that thing and what are you three wearing?!"
Before Sage could answer, Ryo screamed. Sage looked and saw Ryo lying on the ground, gripping his left shoulder.
"Bastard!" Sage attacked the Nether Soldier, but in spite of his heroic attempt, the Nether Soldier pinned Sage against the wall by his throat.
"I don't need you," said the Nether Soldier. He held the pointed end of the spear at Sage's throat.
"HEY!"
They looked to the cave's entrance and saw Jessie.
"I'm right here!" Jessie shouted. "You want me? Come and get me!"
"Jessie…no…" Sage gasped.
The Nether Soldier released Sage and he dropped to the ground, gulping for air. The Nether Soldier walked to the entrance. He reached out to grab Jessie but Sekhmet stepped out, blocking the Nether Soldier's path.
"Remember me?" Sekhmet asked.
The Nether Soldier felt a tap from behind. He turned around and looked at a full Armored Cale.
"Surprise!" Cale brought his sword down, slicing the Nether Soldier from shoulder to opposite hip. He fell to the ground and stared at the two Warlords.
"One day, you will be too late," said the Nether Soldier. "Talpa will rise again and you will pay for your betrayal."
Cale stabbed the Nether Soldier in the head and he vanished.
"Do they always do that?" Jessie asked.
"They never leave traces in the Mortal Realm," said Sekhmet. He walked over to Rowen and Twyla, and placed his hand on Rowen's head.
"Who are you?" Twyla asked nervously.
"It's okay, Twy," Jessie said. "He's a friend. This is Sekhmet. And that's Cale." She pointed to the Warlord, now in his sub-armor, who walked over to Sage and held out his hand.
"I don't need your help," Sage snapped.
Cale grabbed Sage's arm and hauled him to his feet. "Live with it," Cale said and walked over to Ryo.
Sage looked at Jessie. "We told you to stay at the house," he said.
"I'm not going to let one of my best friends get kidnapped because of me." Jessie said. She looked at Ryo. "You okay?"
"Yeah," he answered. "I think my shoulder is dislocated."
"We'd better get back to Mia's house," said Sekhmet. "Kayura will heal you." He picked Rowen up.
Twyla stood up and walked over to Ryo. "Maybe I can do something," she said, placing her hands on Ryo's shoulder.
"Twyla," said Jessie, uneasily. "I don't think it's a good time to do that now."
"They're bound to find out sooner or later." Twyla shut her eyes. "Pain in your shoulder is what you feel. May it be gone and your arm heal."
Ryo felt a slight sting in his shoulder. Twyla removed her hands and Ryo moved his arm. "How did you do that?" he asked.
"I'm a Healer." Twyla answered.
"A Healer?" Sage asked.
"You guys have your story," said Jessie. "We have ours."
"I'd love to hear it," said Ryo. "But I think we better get back to the house."
"I don't know how she did it," said Kayura, checking Ryo's shoulder. "But it's healed. Completely." She looked at Twyla, now in decent clothing. "Not many people are capable of doing that. How is it that you can?"
"I'm a Healer," said Twyla. "Jessie's a Tracker, Casey's an Antenna." She gestured to Casey lying on the couch, having fainted when the Warlords appeared. "We're not sure what Gwen and Joana are yet," Twyla continued. "But we all have our own unique gifts."
"What's a Tracker?" Rowen asked, now awake thanks to Kayura.
"She can find things when she focuses on them," said Twyla.
"But I'm not that good," Jessie said. She was holding her red yin yang half.
Ryo noticed her fidgeting. "What's wrong?" he asked.
"Just a bad feeling," she said, looking at her pendant. "Oh no. Kayura, we might have a problem."
"What do you mean?" Kayura asked.
"You said depending on where I am affects my energy waves." Jessie held out her yin yang half. "Joana has the other half. What if, somehow, my energy emits from that half? They'll go after Joana! Gwen, Cye, and Kento are with her!"
"Where are they?" Kayura asked. "We have to get them home."
"They're at Crystal Blue," said Ryo. "I know where it is."
"Then you'll have to open the Gate." Kayura handed him the orb.
Cye ran across the sand towards Kento and Gwen. Joana was running after him, having ignored his order to stay at the beach blanket. They stopped a few yards away from where Kento was standing and Joana saw a large ugly armored thing get up from a pile that had once been an ice cream cart, where Kento had thrown it.
"Nether Soldier!" Cye hissed.
"Gwen," Joana whispered, looking around the area and saw her friend lying unconscious on the ground, shards of glass around her, and she had several cuts on her body.
Cye attacked the Nether Soldier, which gave an added distraction, and a chance for Joana to run to Gwen's side, thankful she had put her beach shoes on, and crouched next to Gwen.
"You're going to be okay," Joana said, fighting back tears.
The Nether Soldier sent Kento flying into the wall.
"Kento!" Cye shouted and ran to help his best friend. The Nether Soldier was ready to throw his sickle when he turned around and looked at Joana. She froze as the Nether Soldier advanced over to her and looked at her pendant.
"Blue," said the Nether Soldier. "You are a puny keeper, aren't you?" He stared at her for a moment. "No, you are not blue."
The Nether Soldier turned around and threw the sickle at Cye, who was trying to help Kento up. Kento saw the projectile, pulled Cye down, and rolled away from the wall.
"Get off of me, Kento!" Cye shouted. "This is embarrassing!"
"I just saved your butt and this is the thanks I get?" Kento asked. "Witnesses won't be a problem. The tin can scared them away." The two Ronins got up and saw the Nether Soldier heading towards Joana.
"Joana!" Cye cried and he changed into his sub-armor as did Kento.
"Stay out of this!" The Nether Soldier threw the spiked end at them.
Kento jumped over the Nether Soldier, landing in front of Joana and Gwen. Cye dove for the ice cream cart and picked up the umbrella pole. The Nether Soldier glared at Kento.
"Don't think that you can protect them forever," said the Nether Soldier. "The Callisto's power will soon belong to the Nether Realm."
"Like hell it will!" shouted Kento.
The Nether Soldier raised the sickle and Cye stabbed the umbrella pole through him from behind.
"Divert your eyes once," said the Nether Soldier, "and you will be too late." He fell to the ground and disappeared.
Cye looked at Kento. "We better get out of here," said Cye.
They quickly walked over to Joana and Gwen. Joana looked at them. Her eyes closed and Cye caught her before she fell.
"She fainted." Cye said, picking her up.
"Well, Gwen said that she's fragile." Kento said, lifting Gwen into his arms. "Let's go."
They turned around, heading for the exit, and stopped.
"Holy…" said Cye.
"Shit…" said Kento.
Blocking the exit were at least fifty Nether Soldiers.
"Heh… problem." Kento starting backing up.
"Really?" asked Cye, also backing away.
"Having a party without us?"
They turned around and saw Rowen in his full Armor, bow in hand, arrow drawn, and a Gate open behind him leading to the living room.
"Get your butts in the house!" Rowen ordered.
Cye and Kento did as they were told. As soon as they passed Rowen, the Nether Soldiers started running.
"ARROW SHOCK WAVE!" Rowen released his arrow, turned around, ran through the Gate into the living room, and it shut behind him. "I'd love to see the news report on Crystal Blue," Rowen said with a smile and sent away his Armor.
Kayura cast a healing spell on Gwen and her cuts disappeared. She groaned and Kento took her hand.
"Gwen," he said gently.
"Kento?" she asked, opening her eyes and looked around. "How did we get back here?" She sat up.
"Take it easy, Gwen." Jessie said. She put a blanket around her friend's shoulders.
Joana was also awake and wrapped in a blanket as well. "What happened to Casey?" she asked.
"She fainted," Twyla answered.
Casey groaned, opened her eyes, and saw Cale standing over her. "Hi there," he said.
Casey shrieked, jumped off the couch and ran to the corner of the room.
"Casey, it's all right," Twyla said. "Calm down."
"Jumpy, isn't she?" Kayura asked.
"Very," said Jessie.
"What the hell's going on?!" Casey cried, looking at the Ronins and Warlords, who were still wearing their sub-armors, except for Kayura.
"Just relax," said Kayura.
"I'll relax after you answer my questions!" snapped Casey. "Who are you? Where did you and those three come from? What are these guys wearing? What was that thing that came through the wall? What happened to the hole in the wall? How did Gwen and Joana get here? And why does your voice have an echo? Because it's annoying!"
"You idiot," Jessie mumbled as Ryo started humming the funeral song.
Kayura forced a smile on her face, but the anger in her eyes was clear. "I will answer your questions," she said. "Kayura. The Dynasty. Sub-armor. A Nether Soldier. I fixed it. We brought them here through a Gate. It's part of the job, yet my husband finds it sexy."
"Husband?" Casey asked.
Sekhmet, Cale, the Ronins, Mia, and Jessie pointed at Dayus.
"One Eye Willy is your husband?"
"Casey, you really don't want to live very long, do you?" Jessie asked.
"I think now would be a good time to start explaining everything," said Ryo. "Again."
"So you're saying that Jessie's pictures are of your Armors?" Gwen asked after the Ronins and Warlords finished.
"We always thought that you made those up for a story." Joana said.
"They had their own story, sis," Jessie said. "I told you that."
"This doesn't make any sense," said Twyla. "How did you… your coma."
Jessie nodded. "I dreamt about them. Then in art class we were allowed to draw whatever we wanted. That's when I started drawing the Armors."
"And all this time I just thought you were nuts," said Casey.
"But what about those things? The Nether Soldiers," said Gwen. "What do they want?"
"Me," said Jessie.
"No offense," said Casey, "but why do they want you?"
"I don't know," Jessie said sarcastically, "maybe it's my personality that attracts them to me."
"She has a lot of power," said Kayura. "The Nether Soldiers have been after her since you arrived here."
"Why didn't you say anything, Jessie?" Joana asked.
"I didn't want you to worry," she said.
"You should have told us," said Twyla. "We could've asked Michael for help."
"I am not groveling before Michael for help," Jessie said sternly. "He and I didn't part on the best of terms, if you recall."
"Well, you didn't have to punch him," Gwen said.
"Who's Michael?" Ryo asked.
"A friend of ours," said Joana. "He's the Cavern Watcher in the Stream."
"The Steam?" Cye asked.
"It's a place we can go to when we meditate," Twyla explained. "We found it six years ago during the summer."
"When did you find it?" Kayura asked.
"In July," said Jessie. "If I'm right, we found it just after you guys defeated Talpa."
"So who found it?" Rowen asked.
"Joana and I did," said Twyla. "Then we told Jessie. I told Jade about it. Casey and Gwen were next."
"Jade is in America?" Kayura asked.
"Yeah, she'll be coming here with Nat and Elisa next semester," Twyla said. She looked at Jessie. "I'll go into the Stream and talk to Michael. I'm sure he's-"
"No way!" Jessie said. "He'll want me on my knees begging for help and I refuse to do so!"
<I could always intervene for you. >
Jessie looked and saw Anubis standing by the TV. "How?" she asked.
<I'll go talk to Michael, > he said. <He's not that bad. >
"Wait a minute," said Jessie. "You know Michael?"
<Who in the Spirit Realm doesn't? >
"Uh, who's she talking to?" Gwen asked.
"Anubis, no doubt," Kento said.
"You mean she can see your friend who died six years ago?" Joana asked.
"He's been keeping an eye on her while we're at school." Sage said.
"So that's why you're acting so weird in class," said Twyla.
"Oh please!" Casey groaned. "First she has power. Now she can see ghosts. I don't know about you, but this is-" She shrieked as Anubis picked her up, carried her over to Cale, tossed her to him, and he caught her.
<I'm a spirit, not a ghost. >
Jessie laughed. "He said he's a spirit, not a ghost."
"Whatever," squeaked Casey. "I believe he's here." She looked at Cale. "Could you put me down, please?"
Cale set her on her feet and she quickly walked over to the couch and sat next to Joana.
<That'll shut her up for a while, > said Anubis. He looked at Jessie. <So, did Kayura tell you about your aura? >
"No," said Jessie. "What about my aura?"
"Anubis, not now." Kayura begged.
<Your aura color is gold. >
"Big deal," Jessie said, "my friends know my aura is gold."
The Ronins stared at her in shock. "Your aura is gold?" Rowen asked in disbelief.
"So what?" Jessie asked. "What's the big deal about having a gold aura?"
"Only the Ancient Clan and those who've lived in the Dynasty for a long time have gold auras," said Kayura.
"You don't happen to be part Japanese, do you, sis?" Joana asked.
"Last time I checked I wasn't," Jessie said.
"You're not," said Kayura. "Anubis checked your family bloodline."
"It doesn't make any sense," said Cye. "Jessie's only been in the Dynasty once."
{Two times, actually,} Ryo said mentally.
{Don't tell the others that,} Jessie sent back. Their mental connection had grown stronger during the month.
"Actually, we've been thinking of bringing Jessie into the Dynasty to keep her safe," Cale said.
"Like hell you are," said Sage.
"At least she'll be safer there," said Dayus.
"Safe? With you? That's a laugh!" Kento's voice was laced with sarcasm.
They started arguing. Ryo groaned and covered his eyes.
{Are they always like this?} Jessie asked.
{Actually, this is calmer than normal.} Ryo answered. The Ronins and Warlords continued their verbal fight.
"Will you SHUT UP!" Ryo shouted and stood in the center of the living room. "Listen to yourselves!"
"But they're-" Rowen started.
"I don't want to hear it!" Ryo interrupted.
{Let me guess,} Jessie sent to Ryo. {'Leader' also means 'Referee'.}
{Unfortunately,} he answered. "She's not going into the Dynasty," Ryo said aloud. "Not yet, anyway."
"You're actually thinking about letting her go there?" Sage asked.
"Not yet," Ryo said. "But to keep her safe, yes, she'll go, if need be."
"Don't I get a say in this?" Jessie asked. "I'm not a child, remember. I don't want these things to get me anymore than you do, but for crying out loud, will you agree on something?"
<Hell will freeze over before that happens, > Anubis sighed.
I'm inclined to believe you, Jessie thought. "For now," she said, "I'm staying here. Okay?"
"All right," said Kayura. She held out her hands and the Ancient staff appeared.
"What's that for?" Casey asked.
"Your silence," Kayura said.
Gwen, Twyla, Joana, and Casey exchanged worried looks.
"You're not signing away your soul," Jessie sighed. "Just hold it and promise you won't say anything about the Armors, so they won't have to beat the crap out of you for opening your mouth. Plain and simple."
"Oh joy," said Twyla, standing up, and touched the Staff.