Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ A New Ronin ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Eight - A New Ronin
**********
Ryo's dream, Kayura thought, it's started. She watched White Blaze nudge Jessie's leg.
"Where's Ryo?" Sekhmet asked.
"I don't know." Jessie whimpered and started to cry.
Kayura walked over to her and put her arm around Jessie's shoulders. "It'll be all right," said Kayura. "Just relax."
"That's easy for you to say." Jessie sniffed, wiping her tears.
"Jessie, the old technique." Joana said. "Breath in, breath out. Breath in-"
"Shut up!" Jessie shouted, making Joana flinch. "I'm sorry. It's just that… I don't know what happened. I don't know where Ryo is, or how this got on me."
Kayura led Jessie over to a large rock and made her sit down. "Jessie," she said. "I don't know how the Wildfire Armor bonded with you. But you have to tell me everything that happened after you were separated from us."
Jessie nodded and began from the rocks falling…
Ryo and Jessie looked up, and as the dust cleared they watched the rock pile meld together and form a wall.
"I really hate this place." Jessie said.
"You're not the only one," said Ryo, standing up and helped Jessie to her feet.
White Blaze walked over to the wall and sniffed it. He gave a low rumble.
"No, White Blaze." Jessie said. She knelt and hugged the tiger. "It's not your fault."
"She's right," Ryo said, turning back to the wall. "I'm worried about the others."
Jessie thought for a moment. She stood up, walked behind Ryo, and placed her hands on his shoulders.
"This is a long shot," she said. "Try focusing on the other Ronins and Warlords. Maybe I can help."
"Okay," said Ryo. He touched the wall, closed his eyes, and thought of the other eight Armor bearers.
{This place is controlled by magic,} Ryo heard Kayura's voice. {Ryo, Jessie, White Blaze, please be safe.}
"We are." Ryo said and laughed at the shock he felt from them.
"They heard you, didn't they?" Jessie asked, although she knew the answer.
{Ryo,} said Cye.{I can hear him. We all can.}
{How the heck are you doing that, buddy?} asked Kento.
"It's not me," said Ryo.
{It's Jessie,} said Kayura. {Somehow she's helping you to communicate with us, isn't she?}
"Yes, but don't ask how." Ryo said. "She can't figure out how she's doing it."
"That's true," whispered Jessie.
{We'll find out later,} said Kayura. {We're going to have to keep moving. Be careful.}
"You too," said Ryo, "and please behave."
Jessie removed her hands from Ryo's shoulders. "Behave?" she asked with a smile.
"Well…"
"You know, your kanji was glowing."
"It was?" Ryo asked.
Jessie nodded. "I saw a red glow on the wall when you were talking to the others," she said then sighed. "All of this scares me. I dreamed about your Armors, the Nether Realm wants me for my power I didn't even know I had, and I can see Anubis."
{And hear my thoughts.} Ryo sent.
"That too," said Jessie. She looked at him. {You did it again.}
{Yes, I did,} he answered.
{Stop it!}
{You stop!}
{I'm not the one who started it!}
"Okay, you win." Ryo said. Jessie smiled. Ryo stopped and tensed. White Blaze growled.
{What is it?} Jessie asked mentally.
{Stay close to White Blaze,} Ryo sent.
Nether Soldiers burst from the ground before them.
"ARMOR OF WILDFIRE!" Ryo shouted. "DOW CHI!"
The Armor came forth, but Ryo fell to his knees and cried out in pain.
"RYO!" Jessie ran to him. "What's wrong?!"
"The Armor," he gasped. "Wildfire…it's…it hurts…"
"Send it away, Ryo!"
"I…I can't…"
"Yes you can!" Jessie shouted. {I'll help you!}
She held Ryo and together, through their mind-link, they sent away the Wildfire Armor. Ryo's body slumped and Jessie felt him fall into unconsciousness.
"How pathetic," said a Nether Soldier. Jessie looked at him. "Leader of the Ronin Warriors and he can't call his Armor. It doesn't matter. We need him as much as you."
"Stay away." Jessie warned. She felt something within herself, something that needed to be released.
"You can't do anything, Callisto." The Nether Soldiers walked towards them. "You can't use your power."
"GET BACK!" Jessie shrieked as energy exploded from her body, sending the Nether Soldiers reeling backwards.
As they tried to recover, Jessie hauled Ryo onto White Blaze's back and he ran. Jessie grabbed a sickle as they went past a Nether Soldier embedded in the wall. She gave the spiked end to White Blaze and threw the sickle at a crack in the ceiling. White Blaze pulled and the ceiling collapsed, blocking the path. With Ryo and Jessie still on his back, White Blaze took off.
"Stop, White Blaze." Jessie said after a while.
The tiger obeyed and Jessie dismounted. She took Ryo off of White Blaze, laid him on the ground, and knelt next to him.
I'm glad I put this on, Jessie thought, taking off her jacket. She folded it and placed it under Ryo's head. He groaned. "Ryo?" she asked.
"My head," he murmured, opening his eyes.
"You okay?"
"I couldn't wear Wildfire," said Ryo. His eyes widened as a terrible thought came into his mind.
"Can the others wear theirs?" Jessie asked.
"I don't know. God, I hope so."
They didn't say anything for a while. White Blaze paced back and forth.
"Now what do we do?" Jessie asked, breaking the silence. "You can't call your Armor. And we don't know where the others are."
"Go with White Blaze and look for them." Ryo said.
"I'm not leaving you like this!" Jessie protested. "After you passed out, the Nether Soldiers said that they need you as much as they need me. Because of a power I have I don't know how to control, and because you can wear the Inferno Armor."
And something else, Ryo thought. I prayed that I wouldn't have to do this to you. I'm sorry, but what choice do I have?
Jessie noticed Ryo looking at her. "What is it?"
"Help me up," he said. She helped him and they knelt facing each other. "Aren't you cold?" Ryo handed Jessie her jacket.
"No, I'm not," she said, tying her jacket around her waist. "Actually, I didn't notice until you mentioned it."
"It doesn't matter." Ryo took Jessie's hands, palm against palm, fingers interlocked. "Close your eyes."
"What are you doing?" Jessie asked nervously.
"Just relax and trust me." Ryo said.
"Okay." Jessie closed her eyes and breathed deeply, letting her body relax and her mind clear.
Ryo also closed his eyes and calmed his body. Forgive me, Jessie, he thought. "Virtue."
"That's the last thing I remember him saying," Jessie told the others. "I don't remember anything after that, I don't know why. I guess I passed out. When I woke up, White Blaze was licking my face, Ryo was gone…and I was wearing this."
"How can Ryo be gone?" Cale asked.
"Is he dead?" asked Casey.
"No!" Jessie shouted. "He's not dead! Ryo's still alive! In here somewhere!"
"How do you know that he's still alive?" Gwen asked.
"I just know." Jessie said, looking at the Wildfire helmet.
"How can you just know?" Twyla asked.
"If she says Ryo's alive," said Kayura. "Then he's alive."
The other Warlords and Ronins nodded. They understood the bond that they shared from the Armors. As for Kayura, wearing the Armor of Cruelty enabled her to usually tell when Anubis was around without using the Ancient Staff. Now that Jessie was wearing Wildfire, she now shared that bond and she could be able to tell if Ryo was alive.
"So you're just going on what she said?" Joana asked.
"We really don't have much of a choice," said Kayura. She turned to Jessie. "You'd better put Wildfire down to the sub-armor. It'll be easier for you."
"Okay," said Jessie. She put the helmet on. "I feel very weird doing this."
"You want to know how weird it is for us watching you do this?" Kento asked.
"I can imagine." Jessie closed her eyes and thought of the Armor leaving her. She opened her eyes and saw that she was still wearing the sub-armor. "Okay, who do I give this to?"
"Not us," said Dayus, smiling.
"What?"
"Jessie, I hate to tell you this," said Kayura. "But until we get Ryo back, you're going to have to wear the Wildfire Armor till then."
"I can't wear this!" Jessie cried in dismay. "I'm not a warrior! I can't fight unless it's a video game!"
"We can help," said Cye.
"How?"
"We'll teach you," said Sekhmet. "We all will."
"Can't I just give Wildfire to one of you guys?" Jessie asked.
"It bonded with you," said Kayura. "You have to wear it. That's the way it goes."
"Great," said Jessie, "I'm a Ronin Recruit." She sighed. "I'm tired."
"Wearing the Armor for the first time will drain you," said Sage.
"I don't want to wake up in a volcano." Jessie said, remembering their story of how they were revived.
"I doubt that will happen." Kayura said. "But as for regaining strength, we should get some sleep."
"There's one thing I got to do before I sleep." Jessie walked down one of the passages.
"Where are you going?" Cale asked.
"Well, I always wondered how you guys went to the bathroom wearing these," Jessie said, "and since Nature is calling, I'm going to find out the hard way." She continued down the passage. White Blaze walked with her, as he had done with Ryo.
When Jessie and White Blaze returned, they found Casey, Joana, Gwen, and Twyla arguing with Sage, Cye, Kento, and Rowen.
"-With us!" shouted Rowen.
"Rowen, you are an airhead!" Twyla shouted.
"Whoa! Twyla!" said Jessie. "You eat with that mouth? I'm ashamed of you. Rowen, I wish I had a camera. That look on your face was priceless." She turned to the Warlords, now in their sub-armors. "What's going on?"
"They're fighting," said Dayus.
"I can see that. About what?"
"You."
"Why don't you cut me down the middle," said Jessie. "This way each side will have me. Well, half of me."
"I think it would be better if you're whole, Sis." Joana said.
So do I, Jessie thought. "Okay, but Twyla, you didn't have to call him that."
"Yes, she did," said Casey.
"She had every right." Gwen said.
"Why?" Jessie asked.
"He said that you should sleep with them." Twyla said.
Jessie looked at Rowen. "You said that?"
"Yeah," he said.
"I'm sorry, Rowen, but I'm not into any kinky stuff."
Everyone, save the Warlords and White Blaze, started to laugh.
"No, nothing like that," Rowen said. "It's just that since you're wearing Wildfire now, it'd be better if you stayed near us."
"But you can't wear your Armors," said Casey. "What's the point staying with you? She should stay near the Warlords. They can wear their Armors."
"Leave us out of this," said Sekhmet. "This is Jessie's decision, not ours."
"Thank you, Sekhmet." Jessie said.
"The Wildfire Armor is a Ronin Armor," said Cye.
"She's our friend before she became a Ronin!" Joana said.
They started to argue again. The Warlords laughed as Jessie covered her eyes and sighed.
Ryo, you now have all of my sympathy. "Shut up!" Jessie shouted. "Yes, I am your friend. Yes, I'm temporarily a Ronin. But you're fighting over me like I'm the last slice of pizza! The only one that's sleeping near me is White Blaze!" She pointed to the tiger.
"But-" Sage started to say.
"I don't want to hear it!" Jessie cut him off. She walked over to a spot between the Warlords and the girls, and lay down. White Blaze settled next to her.
My own personal guard tiger, Jessie thought, listening to the others get comfortable.
"And no funny stuff, you two," said Cale.
"What?" Dayus asked innocently.
Jessie raised her head and saw Dayus and Kayura snuggling.
"Mind your own business," Kayura said laughingly.
"You're not in the Dynasty," Sekhmet reminded them.
"Your point?" asked Dayus.
"Oh God." Kento muttered.
"Please, can we get some sleep?" Jessie begged. "And if you two want to do anything, go do it in the next tunnel." She lowered her head. "Goodnight."
"Goodnight," everyone chorused.
Later on, Kayura opened her eyes and looked around. Everyone was still asleep. She gently shook Dayus. His eye opened and he looked at her. Kayura pointed to the other Warlords. Dayus nodded and woke up Sekhmet and Cale. Sekhmet pointed to Jessie. Kayura shook her head. Quietly, she walked over to the four Ronins and woke them. They walked into the next room and sat down, Ronin facing Warlord.
"I know that we haven't agreed on many things," said Kayura. "But now we don't have much of a choice."
"So what do you want from us?" Rowen asked.
"A truce," said Dayus.
"With you?" asked Kento. "Not in this lifetime."
"What about that old saying," said Sekhmet. "'The enemy of my enemy is my friend'."
"Or 'is also my enemy'," Cye said. "Depends on the way you look at it."
"We're not asking for you to like us," said Cale.
"Never would happen." Sage said.
"Stop it!" Kayura snapped. "Ryo's right. Look at us. We have to find him. And think of Jessie. She's scared to death. We can't keep fighting like this now. She needs all of our support." Kayura held out her hand. "Truce?"
No one moved. Finally, Rowen placed his hand on Kayura's.
"Truce," he said. One by one, the others did the same.
The Matrix shot towards the sky. Ryo was still inside and the pain he felt was beyond anything he had ever known. He collapsed.
"Hold on…" Ryo told himself. His kanji glowed and he became aware of another presence. "Rowen?" he asked.
It had to be. Why else would his Armor react this way?
{Rowen, are you there?} Ryo called mentally. If this thing reaches him, then we'll both die. He struggled to his knees.
"I must get up..." Ryo groaned. "Rowen…I won't let it end this way."
Ryo pulled himself to his feet. Pain shot through his body, making him fall to his knees again.
Think, Ryo told himself. My Armor is sucking in the energy from this thing. If I don't stop it, it'll destroy me before I can help Rowen. I have to think of something. Wait! I know! Slowly, he reached for his swords. I can use the power of the Matrix in reverse.
The pain was unbearable, but it didn't stop Ryo from grabbing his swords.
This is it! He pulled them out.
"Come on, come on," Ryo pleaded. "Armor of Wildfire, don't fail me now."
Ryo stood up, ignoring the pain, and connected the ends of his swords together.
"FLARE UP NOW!"
Ryo felt like his body had been dropped in acid. Despite the agony, he still focused on sending the Matrix energy out of his body.
The Matrix exploded.
Ryo was vaguely aware of his pain-wracked body. He opened his eyes and saw that he was in a red transparent orb, floating high and away from Earth.
"What's this?" Ryo asked himself weakly. "I'm still alive? How did I survive? Oh no! Rowen!"
He had failed to save his friend.
I blew it! Ryo thought. Oh no! Rowen! What's happening to me? I can't move my body. I'm thrashed. Mia, Yuli, I'm sorry. I tried. I couldn't save him.
Ryo shut his eyes and floated away.
Virtue.
However, someone did see him.
Ryo, you did it buddy, Rowen thought. Hang on. I can reel you in. Rowen reached behind and grabbed his bow. It unfolded and he shot an arrow, which went around Ryo and sent him back towards Earth.
Ryo opened his eyes. "Huh? What's going on?"
He looked up and saw a figure in dark blue Armor. Could it be?
"Rowen?" asked Ryo. "Rowen!"
It was him! Ryo smiled happily as the two orbs joined.
"Ah great! You made it!" said Ryo. "Rowen?"
Even though Rowen's faceplate was closed, his eyes looked as if he was in a trance. He turned his back to Ryo.
"Rowen," said Ryo. "I don't-"
Suddenly the orb went shooting back to Earth at an incredible speed. Ryo screamed all the way down until they crashed in a forest not far from the city.
Mental note, Ryo thought, tell Rowen to never become a pilot. Owie.
"What's this?" Rowen asked. "Where am I and how'd I end up here?"
"Rowen," Ryo called weakly.
"Ryo?" Rowen turned around. His faceplate was open now and Ryo couldn't help smiling at the shocked look on his friend's face.
"What happened, Ryo?" Rowen asked. "You look like you've been in a dog fight!"
"Rowen, you don't remember anything, do you?" Ryo asked, still smiling. "You've missed all the fun."
Jessie opened her eyes. Her entire body hurt. Painfully, she sat up and brushed her ponytail over her shoulder. She looked at the sub-armor on her arm and touched it.
You call that fun, Ryo? Jessie asked silently.
It felt weird, waking up and still feeling the pain from the dream. No, it wasn't a dream. More like a memory. Ryo's memory. The Wildfire Armor was letting Jessie see Ryo's memory through his eyes. And Jessie felt as if she had been in the Matrix, she had been thrown into outer space, she had made the Matrix explode, and she had crashed back to Earth with Rowen. Jessie, not Ryo.
White Blaze nudged Jessie's hand and she scratched the tiger's head. She looked to her left. Twyla, Gwen, Casey, and Joana were still asleep. Jessie looked to the right. The Warlords were gone. So were the Ronins. Jessie looked around the room frantically. Where were they?
"That's nuts!" Kento shouted, followed by a slap.
"Shut up!" hissed Dayus. "You'll wake up the girls."
Too late, Jessie thought. She stood up and crept near the other room.
"Sorry," Kento apologized.
"But seriously," said Rowen. "Can Jessie wear the Inferno Armor?"
Jessie bit her lip. It was bad enough that she was wearing Wildfire. Would she have to wear Inferno?
"I don't know," said Kayura. "We'll see it if it happens."
"Pray that it doesn't," said Sage. "I think Wildfire is enough for her."
"Well, my mother always said that red was my color." Jessie said, walking into the room.
"Idiot," Dayus muttered to Kento.
"Don't be mad at Kento," said Jessie. "I was up before he said, 'That's nuts'."
"Dayus, your apology," said Kento. "You hit me for no reason."
"Well, I don't know about that." Jessie said.
Kento glared at her and the others chuckled.
"Where's White Blaze?" Cye asked.
"He's keeping watch over the others." Jessie answered. She walked over to them and sat between Rowen and Kayura.
"What woke you up?" Sage asked. "Bad dream?"
"Not exactly," said Jessie. "I don't know how to explain it." She looked at Rowen. "Ryo went through hell trying to get you."
"What?" Rowen asked confused.
"Six years ago," Jessie said. "When you were 'floating among the eyes of the ages'." She then described the entire scenario, leaving out Ryo's mental note.
"So that's what happened," said Cye.
"And those were my and Ryo's exact words," Rowen said, looking at Jessie. "You dreamed about it?"
"I wouldn't call it a dream," Jessie said. "I saw it through Ryo's eyes. As if I was there. It was me, not Ryo."
"Then Ryo is alive," said Kayura. "Because that's never happened to me. I've never seen Anubis' memories." She looked at Jessie. "It's the only explanation. You can see Ryo's memories because he's alive. I can't see Anubis' memories because he's…a spirit now."
Silence hung in the air. Feeling the mood darken, Jessie clapped her hands, catching everyone's attention. "I got an idea," she said. "Why don't we get out of the melancholy state and get some more sleep."
"Sounds great to me," said Kento.
They stood up, walked back into the other room, and lay down in their original spots.
Jessie woke up for what seemed like the hundredth time. She looked at the sub-armor.
Let me guess, she thought at it, I have to see Ryo's memories and know his feelings while I'm wearing you. Is this going to happen when to him when he gets you back? He'll see mine? I hope not.
Sage stood up and walked past her into the passage she had used as a restroom. Feeling a little giddy, Jessie sat up and leaned back against White Blaze. Sage returned a few minutes later and stopped when he saw Jessie smiling at him.
"Answering Nature's call?" she asked quietly.
"If that's what you call it, then yes." Sage answered. He sat down next to her. "How are you holding up?"
"I'm okay, I guess." Jessie said, touching her arm. "It's too weird. March, I'm in a coma and dreamed about your Armors. Now, here in Japan, they exist and I'm wearing one."
"It was a big shock for us when we received our Armors seven years ago." Sage said. "It's a good thing that the five of us knew each other before that. We always looked out for each other."
"Ryo cares a lot about all of you," said Jessie. "He thinks of you like family, and he's head over heels in love with Mia. Has been since day one."
"I had a crush on her," said Sage. "Then I realized that she was in love with Ryo."
"Were you jealous?"
"No, I wasn't. I then decided that I would find my perfect girl. And I know for a fact that she's not a member of the Date Club. I have to thank my Armor for that."
"It does make you look at things differently." Jessie said. She looked at him. But I still see you the same way.
Sage smiled at Jessie and she was silently praying that he'd kiss her.
They tensed at the same time the other Ronins and Warlords woke up. White Blaze growled.
"I don't like that," said Jessie.
"Who says you had to?" Rowen asked. He woke up the girls.
"What's going on?" Twyla asked sleepily.
"We're leaving," said Kayura. "Let's go."
They ran down the unused corridor.
"Jessie, you should consider yourself lucky." Gwen said after awhile.
"Why?" Jessie asked.
"You have something that resembles pants," Joana said.
"Like I asked Ryo if I could wear this!"
"Wouldn't surprise me," said Casey.
"Bullshit!" Jessie shouted.
"Quiet!" ordered Kayura.
They entered a room and skidded to a halt.
"Shit," Rowen cursed. "Dead end."
"Thank you, Mr. Intelligence," Twyla remarked.
"What are we going to do?" Joana asked.
"We'll take care of whatever's coming," said Cale. "The four of you watch the girls."
"Just because we can't call our Armors doesn't mean we can't fight!" Sage snapped.
"Don't argue now, please!" Jessie begged. "Right now we have something else to worry about!"
Their anxiety climbed as a large hideous creature walked towards them.
"That is ugly," Casey said.
"I highly agree with you," said Jessie. To her, the beast looked like a crossbreed of a rancor and a minator. Two tentacles were below the horns on its head, saliva dripped from the disfigured teeth, and it was bigger than a pick-up truck.
"Where did the Nether Realm get that thing?" Rowen asked.
"I don't know," said Kayura. "Nor do I want to."
"Well, Cye," said Kento. "You know the old saying."
"The bigger they are." Cye said.
They charged at the creature. It swung its tentacles, hitting the two Ronins, sending them sliding across the ground back to the others.
"The more bones they break." Jessie said.
"You'd better summon Wildfire, Jessie," said Cale.
"Do I have to?"
"Yes!" everyone snapped.
When did the four of you decide to vote? Jessie thought at her friends. Why me? She took a deep breath. "ARMOR OF WILDFIRE! DOW CHI!"
"CRUELTY! TO ARMS!"
"VENOM! TO ARMS!"
"CORRUPTION! TO ARMS!"
"ILLUSION! TO ARMS!"
Their Armors came forth and they faced the creature.
"I have no idea of what to do," Jessie whispered to Sekhmet.
"Follow your instincts," he said.
"If you say so." Still feeling unsure of herself, Jessie pulled out one sword.
The Warlords attacked the creature. Jessie stood back still uncertain of what she was doing.
You're a Ronin Warrior for now, Jessie told herself. Do something!
An image of Ryo appeared in her mind. He put the swords together. Jessie grabbed the other sword and ran in front of the Warlords, facing the creature.
"Get back," she said. "I gotta try something."
"Jessie, no!" said Kayura. "You can't!"
"You haven't practiced!" Dayus shouted.
"So I'm learning the hard way!" Jessie put the sword ends together and it felt as if she had been doing it for a long time. "FLARE UP NOW!"
The double edge stream of fire and light leapt from her swords and struck the creature. It howled and through the blaze, Jessie watched as it was incinerated and the Flare continued down the tunnel. Jessie looked at her swords, then slowly turned around to look at her friends. All of them, save White Blaze, had surprised shocked expressions. The tiger purred his praise.
"It worked," Jessie said, still not quite believing it herself.
"You did it," Sage whispered.
"All right, sis!" Joana shouted.
Everyone broke out into smiles. However, they were short lived. White Blaze growled and everyone stared with terror at the passage.
"Oh shit," Jessie muttered.
"Jessie, what the hell did you do?!" Casey shrieked.
"The Flare isn't supposed to double back," said Kayura. "Jessie! Get over here!"
But Jessie remained where she was. She held her swords in X formation and the faceplate closed.
"Jessie!" Cale shouted. "You'll get yourself killed!"
Don't you think I know that? Jessie asked him silently. I hope this works.
She felt the heat before she saw the Flare. Jessie closed her eyes and braced herself. The Flare slammed into her with such forced, it knocked the wind out of her lungs, but she held her ground.
Maybe if I absorb enough of it, Jessie thought, it might give the others a better chance.
Jessie could fell herself being pushed back and her strength began to dwindle. The Flare was too much for her. Jessie screamed as the Flare swept her into its fiery embrace.
The last thing Jessie heard before she fell unconscious were her friends screaming. Both from agony and her name.