Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Shichou soshite Gakuto (Teachers and Students) ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Twelve - Shichou soshite Gakuto (Teachers and Students)
**********
"Rowen, where's your brother?" Catherine asked.
"He went out with some friends of his a couple hours ago," Rowen answered his mother from his bedroom.
"Where did he go?"
"I don't know," said Rowen, then muttered, "I'm not his keeper."
"I heard that."
She has ears like the Bionic Woman, Rowen grimaced and he returned to his homework. The phone rang and he picked it up. "Moshi-moshi."
"Rowen," a groggy voice said. "It's Sage."
"Hey, buddy. Feeling any better?"
"Do I sound better?"
"No, you sound worse than before you threw up in science class," Rowen laughed.
"Shut up," said Sage. "What's for homework?"
Rowen looked at his notepad. "Science - chapter six: do questions one through twenty; and math - page one-eighty-nine: problems one through thirty-six. Did you get language arts and history?"
"Yeah, I got those from Cye," Sage answered. "It's weird, you and I got two classes different from the others."
"I'll tell you what's weird, how you got into two advanced classes."
Sage laughed. "Thank God you're my best friend."
"I'll take that as a compliment," Rowen said. "When you feel better, we can start working on our science project."
"Just as long as you don't come over here wearing that contamination outfit."
"It was my dad's. Besides, it's buried in the attic."
They exchanged a few more words, then disconnected. Rowen tried to stay focused on his homework, but found it very difficult. His thoughts went to his father.
Rowen's parents had been divorced for two and a half years. Hashiba Jonathan had taken a job at a chemical plant about seventy-five miles away. Rowen's mother, Catherine, was a little upset at first. Eventually they started fighting and their marriage ended. Catherine was awarded custody of Rowen, Benjamin, and Carrie.
Rowen dropped out of the seventh grade after the divorce and managed to find a small job to help his mother till she started working as an assistant magazine editor. He really should have been a sophomore this year, but dropping the seventh grade prevented it.
Rowen's sixteenth birthday had passed two weeks ago and he received cards from his father and Hashiba grandparents. Rowen's Hashiba grandparents weren't his father's real parents. Jonathan's real last name was Turner. His parents were killed in a plane crash when he was a baby, and the Hashiba family adopted him. An American by birth, Japanese by name. During his second semester at college, Jonathan met Catherine Burnuhm, who was in Japan on an internship. They dated on and off, their relationship becoming more intimate. They married and had three children. And during the fall before Rowen's thirteenth birthday, Jonathan and Catherine's fifteen-year marriage ended.
Rowen, Ben, and Carrie never understood exactly why their parents got divorced in the first place. They knew their parents still loved each other, no doubt there. Jonathan still had his wedding ring on his finger.
Rowen sighed, stood up from his desk and went downstairs into the kitchen. His eleven-year-old sister, Carrie, was sitting at the table finishing her homework, while Catherine moved around the kitchen in an attempt to start supper.
"Need any help?" Rowen asked.
"Get the lettuce and tomatoes from the fridge and start making the salad," his mother said. Rowen did as he was told.
"I'm not eating that," Carrie said. "I might die of food poisoning."
Rowen glared at her. "Keep it up, Carolyn, and you might find something in your salad."
"Bite me."
"Carrie!" said their mother. "Watch your mouth and both of you stop it."
Rowen and Carrie ceased their word war and went back to their original tasks.
Dinner was eaten in silence and Ben still hadn't come home. Rowen pushed the carrots around with his fork, sensing that something was very wrong. The phone rang causing him to jump.
"That better be your brother," Catherine said and she picked up the phone. "Moshi-moshi. Yes, this is his mother. What?! Oh my God... Yes, you have my permission. I'll be right there." She quickly hung up the phone. "Get your coats."
"What's wrong?" Carrie asked.
"Ben's in the hospital."
"What happened?!" Rowen jumped out of his chair.
"He got hit by a truck," their mother answered.
They arrived at Shinora Hospital and raced to the information desk.
"I'm Hashiba Benjamin's mother," said Catherine. "How's my son?"
"Hold on," said the nurse. She picked up the phone and spoke into it. After a few moments she put the phone down. "Your son is still in the O.R.," said the nurse. "Dr. Lusei will be with you shortly."
Rowen took a deep breath and helped his mother over to the chairs and the sat down. Carrie hugged her mother.
"I have to call your father," said Catherine.
"I'll call him," Rowen volunteered. He stood up and walked outside to the payphone, inserted his phone card and dialed his father's number.
Jonathan answered. "Moshi-moshi."
"Dad... it's me."
"Rowen, how are you?"
"I'm fine..." Rowen paused so that he wouldn't start breaking down on the phone. "Dad... Ben was hit by a truck. We-we're at Shinora Hospital."
"How is he?"
"He's still in surgery. We're waiting for the doctor."
"You stay with your mother," Jonathan said, "I'll be right there."
"Okay." Rowen hung up the phone and leaned against it, trying to keep his cool. He didn't want his mother to worry about him too. Rowen took a few deep breaths and went back inside.
He saw Date June talking to his mother. June had just finished work and was about to leave when she saw Rowen's mother and sister. Catherine had told June what happened to Ben and now they were waiting for news about him.
Catherine looked at her oldest child. "Did you talk to your father?"
Rowen nodded. "He's coming."
"Catherine," said June, "when you find out how Ben is, why don't you let me take Rowen and Carrie off your hands for tonight."
"I couldn't," Catherine shook her head.
"There wouldn't be a problem," June said, "I'll take them home and they can grab their stuff. Then I'll take them with me and I'll arrange something."
Catherine looked at Rowen and Carrie. "Would you mind sleeping at the Date house?"
"I'm staying in Amanda's room." Carrie said.
"You'll have Alex tied in the basement, I hope," said Rowen.
"I'll handle him. Don't worry." June sat down with them.
Time dragged on and that night seemed to last forever.
"Hashiba-san," a voice said.
Everyone rose to their feet.
"I'm Dr. Lusei," said the middle-aged man. "Ben's out of surgery-"
"Dad!" cried Carrie.
Rowen looked and saw his father walking very fast towards them.
"I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner," Jonathan said and he hugged Catherine tightly. "Damn traffic. How's Ben?"
"He's out of surgery." Catherine said.
"And he's in stable condition," said Dr. Lusei. "But we're going to keep him here for a while. His right kneecap was shattered, his left shoulder was dislocated, two of his right ribs were cracked, another one was broken and punctured his lung."
Catherine groaned and rested her head on Jonathan's chest.
"Is he awake?" Jonathan asked.
"Not yet. The anesthesia hasn't worn off yet. But when he does wake up, the medication will make him groggy."
"Then I'm staying with him until he wakes up."
"So am I," Catherine said. She looked at her ex-husband. "June's taking Rowen and Carrie with her tonight."
"All right." Jonathan looked at his children. "We'll call you when Ben wakes up."
Rowen and Carrie nodded, and hugged both of their parents. June led them to her car and drove them to their house. They went inside, grabbed their pajamas and another set of clothes, and stuffed them into bags. They went back into June's car and she drove them to her home.
The next morning, Mark, Sage's oldest brother, drove Rowen and Carrie to their house.
"I'm glad that your brother is okay," said Mark. "Now if Sage would get better."
"Thank you for threatening Alex to lock him in Sage's room," Rowen said.
"It shut him up," Mark grinned, "but I think that Sage has suffered enough." He pulled into the driveway and the Hashiba kids got out.
"Thanks, Mark," Rowen said.
"Anytime." Mark waited until they went inside, then drove away.
Rowen locked the door, and took off his shoes and jacket.
"I'll go check on mom." Carrie said and went upstairs.
Rowen stretched and walked into the kitchen. The table had been cleared from last night's unfinished meal. Rowen started to load the dishwasher. He noticed a couple extra plates and frowned. As he tried to figure out why there were extra dishes in the sink, Carrie walked in with a strange look on her face. She grabbed Rowen's arm and dragged him out of the kitchen and up the stairs.
"What?" Rowen asked.
"Shh," Carrie held her finger to her lips. She dragged her brother to their mother's room and stopped outside the door. "Look," she whispered.
Rowen opened the door and peeked into his mother's room.
Catherine was still asleep with Jonathan sleeping next to her.
Rowen shut the door and he looked at Carrie with the same strange look. "Dad's in there," Rowen said quietly.
"Rowen," whispered Carrie. "I don't think they're wearing anything."
Rowen stared at the door. Ben, he thought, I could be wrong... but I hope I'm not. You brought mom and dad back together.
Twyla opened her eyes, sat up, and stretched. She looked at her sub-armor and touched the dark blue on her arm. A sigh escaped from her as her thoughts went to Rowen. Where was he? Hopefully with the other Ronins and somewhere safe.
Twyla looked around and saw that everyone was still asleep. She looked at Jessie, still lying on her back in the same position they had laid her down in, with White Blaze next to her, and Cale's folded cape under her head as a pillow.
"Morning," said Kayura.
Twyla looked at Kayura as she sat up. "Is it morning?" Twyla asked.
"I'm not really sure," the magic woman replied, stretching.
Twyla sighed and moved away from her friends, accidentally bumping into Casey's arm.
Sage walked down the sidewalk, heading home after listening to the nagging of his math teacher for falling asleep during class.
It's not my fault he's so boring, Sage thought. The way he teaches, mummies would turn to dust.
"Hey, Brain Boy."
Sage froze. He knew that voice. Busajima Chikotei. The worst guy to make enemies with in Han'a Han High School.
"If you're so smart," Chikotei went on, "how come you never got your parents back together before your brother was street pizza?"
"For your information," Rowen's voice reached Sage's ears. "It's none of your business."
Oh no, Sage thought, Rowen, you're going to owe me big time for this. He quickly ducked into a nearby alley, climbed on top of the dumpster, and peeked over the fence. Sure enough, Chikotei was there along with two of his followers who were holding Rowen's arms behind his back.
I doubt that he wants lunch money, Sage thought and shook his head. He held his book bag in his hands, aiming it at the boy at Rowen's left side. Sage threw his bag. It hit the intended target and the boy fell to the ground dazed.
Chikotei looked in the direction the bag had come from. He saw the bottom of Sage's sneaker coming at him, and then next thing Chikotei knew he was looking at the sky.
Rowen had taken advantage of the disruption and knocked the other captor to the ground. Rowen and Sage grabbed their book bags and ran.
"What did you do to make him go after you?" Sage asked.
"He kept looking at my answer sheet during our geometry test," Rowen answered.
"You're a dead man, Date!" Chikotei's voice came from behind.
"Ah crap!" Rowen hissed. He quickly glanced over his shoulder and saw that their pursuer was alone. "He's by himself."
"That gives us an advantage," Sage said. "If you want the crown, Chikotei, you can have it! I surrendered the throne before school started!"
"I always wondered why!" Chikotei shouted. "Did you lose it for girls?"
Sage's angered flared. He stopped and jumped, flipping backward in the air, and landed behind Chikotei. Sage quickly put the strap from his book bag around Chikotei's throat and tugged. Chikotei fell to his knees and gasped.
"Sage!" Rowen shouted. "What the hell are you doing?!"
"Listen, Busajima," Sage hissed, ignoring his best friend. "I wouldn't talk if I were you. If you start spreading rumors about me, I will tell where your preferences lie. And I got that straight from your sister's mouth." Sage released him. "Get out of here."
Chikotei rubbed his throat as he got to his feet. He glared at the two Ronins and left.
Sage looked at Rowen. "Let's go home."
"Is what you said to Chikotei true?" Rowen asked.
"According to his sister, he likes both."
Rowen shuddered. "Knowing that after what just happened, I fear what the outcome would've been."
"Why else do you think I stayed away from his house when I was dating his sister?" Sage asked.
Casey jerked awake and looked at Twyla. "Thank you."
"Sorry," Twyla apologized.
"No, I mean it. Thank you for waking me up." Casey looked around. Seeing Kayura awake, she spoke in English. [I had a very weird dream.]
[What about?] Twyla asked in English.
[Sage saved Rowen from the high school bully. And Sage told Rowen that when he was dating the guy's sister, she told Sage that her brother likes both genders.]
Twyla's eye started to twitch. [That's scary. I saw how Rowen's parents got back together.]
[How?] Casey asked.
[Ben got hit by a truck.]
[Couldn't he think of something less life threatening?]
"I don't mean to pry," said Kayura. "But why aren't you talking in Japanese?"
"Oh, we're sorry, Kayura," Casey said. "We were talking about the memories from Sage and Rowen."
"I won't ask." Kayura stood up and walked over to Jessie. "That's their business." She put her hand on Jessie's forehead. "Still the same." Kayura walked back to where Dayus was sleeping, passing by Joana.
Rowen whistled as he made it down the stairs without having woken anyone. He was determined to have first crack at the kitchen this morning, having heard a joke on television the night before involving the ease of cooking oatmeal. Surely, he thought, it must be along the lines of getting coffee out of the coffee maker, as that involved boiling water, and he could certainly handle THAT kitchen task.
He began to wonder what the easiest way to boil water might be. He knew that the water must reach 100 degrees C, and that he should hear bubbles as it did so. He went to the cupboard and removed the kettle and the box of oatmeal. He read the instructions on the back of the oatmeal and decided that a pot would be better. He filled the pot at the sink and brought it over to the stove, accidentally turning on the oven as he lit the front burner. After a few moments, Rowen had collected cinnamon, raisons, and maple syrup, all things the guys liked to put on their oatmeal. He hummed as he poured oatmeal into the now bubbling pot and turned down the burner.
A few moments later, Kento came down the stairs. "Who's in here?" he asked. "Something smells good!"
"Really?" Rowen perked up even more. "I made it by my-"
Sage and Ryo filed in. "Kento, didn't you just get up?" asked Sage.
"Who made breakfast?" asked Ryo as Mia came in with Cye.
"I did!" Rowen said brightly. "I made oatmeal!"
The others exchanged glances.
"I'll get the cereal from the pantry," said Mia, moving past them.
Rowen grabbed her arm. "Aw, come on, Mia," he pleaded, "Kento said it smelled good!"
"He'd say that about horse shit if it had enough seasoning," mumbled Sage.
"What?" asked Kento
"Nothing!" Sage quickly said. "I was just suggesting that if you're hungry, you might not be a good judge."
"But it does smell right... or at least close," said Cye, eager to keep his best friend from decking their blond comrade.
"Great!" said Rowen. "So you'll try it!"
Ten minutes later, Kento began shoveling it in as Cye carefully filled a spoonful.
Mia was chewing thoughtfully. "This is an interesting texture, Rowen," she managed. "May I see the box?"
Cye put the spoon into his mouth as Mia read the box.
"You used what?!" she yelled, causing Cye to jump and gag. Kento and Sage began banging him on the back. Cye made an odd noise and rushed to the bathroom as Mia began to laugh.
"He used granola!" she told the others.
Cye came out of the bathroom, still coughing slightly and with eyes reddened from tearing. "And something very unlike salt," he gasped.
"Pepper!" supplied Kento. "I got lots of it!"
"Cye, are you okay?" asked Ryo.
"I think I had a raisin up my nose," he answered, rubbing it.
"Anything like snorting soda?" asked Kento as the others made gagging noises.
Later that day, after hours of being annoying, Rowen had succeeded in getting Cye to agree to help him try again. This time they used the kettle and instant oatmeal packets.
"Now stir," Cye instructed.
"Aye-aye, captain!" Rowen said somewhat sarcastically, switching bowls when Cye moved to put something in the sink. Cye took a mouthful, blew on it, and stuck it in his mouth. There were gluey bits, and uncooked bits, and funny watery stuff, and... and...
And Cye ran into the bathroom. He came back out, feeling that the stuff tasted the same coming up as going down.
At five-thirty the next morning, Cye slunk downstairs, determined to avoid a replay of the previous day. He got everything together, mixing up oatmeal, and cooking eggs and bacon. Unfortunately, when Cye ran upstairs to get dressed and returned... he found Rowen in the kitchen. Cye tried his own bowl of oatmeal, which he had already begun to eat without noticing that it was suddenly full again. There was bacon fat and scrambled egg in his oatmeal.
Cye nearly knocked Sage down running to the bathroom.
And as long as Rowen is in the same building, Cye can no longer eat his favorite breakfast food.
Joana opened her eyes and sat up quick.
"I'm sorry, Joana," Kayura apologized, "I didn't mean to wake you."
"No, it wasn't you," Joana said quickly. "Oh, what a nightmare."
"Let me guess," said a new voice, and the four looked at Cale as he sat up and stretched. "Sekhmet was in it."
"No," said Joana, "Sekhmet was not."
"I'm not what?" the Warlord of Venom asked, sitting up.
"In the dream I had from Cye's memory."
"Should I feel honored or insulted?" Sekhmet asked.
"From Cye," said Cale, "feel honored."
"What happened, Joana?" Twyla asked.
"Rowen may have a high level of intelligence," Joana started, "but he cannot cook to save his life!" She described what Rowen had done to the oatmeal and poor Cye's second nature to hurl whenever oatmeal and Rowen are in the same area.
"At least he can make salad," Twyla defended.
"If that's it," said Casey, "God bless him."
"Twyla," Joana said, "if at all possible, please teach Rowen how to cook. Cye fears him."
Shouldn't have said that out loud, Sekhmet chuckled.
"Kento. Koichi."
"Yes, mother," Kento said sweetly as his younger brother forced a huge smile.
"I don't want you two drinking," Leigh said.
"Mom, you have to have at least one glass of wine when you give a toast to the bride and groom," said Koichi.
"Don't even think about it," their mother said. "Kaneda is old enough, but not the two of you. Not until you're twenty-one."
"Mom, that's in America," Kento said.
"And in my book." Leigh walked away.
"Should we consider being one-quarter American a disadvantage?" asked Koichi.
"Nah," Kento shook his head. "I call it a challenge. I just have to wait two more years."
"You got two. I have four."
"Koichi, why don't we play a game?"
"At our own brother's wedding reception?" Koichi asked. "What kind?"
Kento grinned. "How much we can drink before Mom catches us."
"What's the prize?"
"First one caught has to give five thousand yen to the other. Three thousand if the second one is caught without being ratted out."
"Deal," Koichi agreed. They slapped hands quickly and lightly touched fists, a secret move that the three Rei-Faun boys used when making bets and promises.
Kento looked around. Seeing no sign of his mother, he quickly snatched a glass of wine and gulped it down.
"What do you think you're doing?"
Kento almost spit the wine out. He turned around and saw his older no-longer-bachelor brother. "Celebrating your wedding," Kento said quickly.
"Oh please," said Kaneda. "If mom catches you drinking, you're a dead man."
"Not if she catches Koichi first."
"Koichi?"
"We made a little deal." Kento smiled.
"You two are insane," said Kaneda.
"Just don't tell mother."
"And why shouldn't I?"
"Because then she's gonna find out that she's going to be a grandmother in seven months," Kento said.
Kaneda looked at his brother horrified. "How did you know?" he hissed.
"Well, using my notebook for lines like, 'Must have been on the wedding night', and 'Yes, it's early, but at least he/she is healthy' does happen to give a big hint that I'm going to be Uncle Kento." He looked at his brother. "Just because I don't like school doesn't mean that I carry notebooks around for decoration. And Koichi knows, too."
"All right," Kaneda surrendered. "I won't say anything."
"Thanks, bro."
The hours went on and Kento was doing his best to stay on the chair as he sat with his uncle Chan and aunt Fusei.
Three thousand yen would be nice, Kento thought, five thousand would be better.
"Gross!" the ring boy shouted. Several people hurried over to where the boy was. Chan stood up.
"What's wrong?" Fusei asked.
"I think Koichi threw up," answered Chan.
"Oh dear," said Fusei. "The poor boy."
"I told you that you were not allowed to drink!" Leigh's voice rang through the hall.
"Chan, darling," Fusei looked at her husband. "I think it would be wise to stop Leigh before she kills our nephew."
Kento watched his aunt and uncle race over to his mother and brother. Kento smiled. I win!
"Where's your brother?"
Crap! Kento quickly dropped to the floor and scurried under the buffet table. He peeked out from under the tablecloth and watched his mother's feet go by. Kento crawled out on the other side and tried to escape to the main lobby. Unfortunately, he fell over a desert cart, landed on the floor, and was covered with raspberry pastries. Kento tried getting up, but the room was spinning too fast.
"Kento!" Leigh glared at her middle child from across the fried chicken.
"Night-night, Mommy," Kento said and passed out.
Kento woke up a few hours later and found himself lying on a bench near the restrooms.
Koichi was lying on the opposite bench, looking very pale, with a small garbage can near him. "I don't feel so good," Koichi said in a small voice.
"Me neither," said Kento.
"Good, you're both awake," Leigh said and the two boys looked at their mother. "For drinking, both of you are grounded till I say so. For disobeying, whatever tips you receive at work will go into the restaurant repair budget."
Kento and Koichi made groans of protest.
"You brought this on yourselves," said Leigh and she left.
Kento looked at his brother. "You still owe me three thousand yen."
"Jerk." Koichi stuck his tongue out.
Gwen opened her eyes. "What an idiot!" she said and sat up. "Moronic. I tell you now."
"Kento?" asked Casey.
"Whose Armor do you see me wearing?" Gwen asked.
"This must be good," Cale said.
"Wait one moment," said Sekhmet. He reached over to Dayus and shook him. "Dayus, wake up."
"What?" the Warlord of Illusion asked crankily.
"It's about Kento," said Cale.
Dayus sat up quick. "I have got to hear this."
Gwen rolled her eyes. "Kento got drunk at his older brother's wedding. So did Koichi. And their mother caught them."
Dayus started laughing. "If I could have seen that, my life would be complete."
"That must have been a sight," Twyla said. She looked over at Jessie, still asleep. "Do you think we should wake Jessie up? I mean, she's slept more than the rest of us."
"She needs her rest," said Kayura. "But we need to continue on and find the Ronins."
"I'll wake her," Dayus volunteered. He stood up and walked over to Jessie.
The Ronins were struggling very hard to free themselves. But the webbing was too tight and strong to break.
"The harder you struggle, the more my web bites into your flesh." Dayus laughed and lowered himself in front of Ryo.
"Get lost!" Ryo snapped.
"There's fight in you yet, Ryo of Wildfire," said Dayus. "It's a shame I must kill you. But perhaps I could spare your life. In exchange you must pledge your loyalty to the Emperor and become my follower."
"When I'm free," Ryo hissed through clenched teeth, "I'll get you."
"Me?" Dayus asked amazed.
"And then I'll get your master!" Ryo shouted.
"Ha, I will give him your regrets." Dayus took one of the scythes off his back, cutting the main line that held Ryo, and the Ronin leader fell to the ground.
"Come on, Jessie," someone said. "Wake up."
Jessie felt a hand on her shoulder and a light shake.
"Hmm... Wha...?" She opened her eyes. Upon seeing Dayus kneeling next to her, Jessie screamed and brought her right fist up, hitting Dayus square in his jaw.
As the Warlord of Illusion fell backwards, Jessie scrambled away. White Blaze butted his head against her arm. Jessie put her hand on the tiger's shoulder blade. She knew he would protect her.
"Jessie, relax!" said Twyla as she and her other friends ran to Jessie's side.
"But-" Jessie looked at them. "What are you doing wearing..." The realization came to her. "Oh, shit. Dayus, I'm so sorry." She brought her hands up to her face, totally ashamed of herself at what she had done.
"What in the Ancient One's name did you do that for?!" demanded Kayura, examining her husband's injured jaw.
Cale and Sekhmet were too busy trying to keep themselves from bursting out into laughter.
"It was an accident," said Jessie, "I swear."
"Let me guess," Dayus said, "you saw another one of Ryo's memories and I was in it."
"Yeah," Jessie nodded.
"Dare I ask which one?"
"When you had the Ronins in the web after you let them through the Gate and let Ryo have a not so happy landing."
Dayus wiped the little bit of blood from the corner of his mouth. "I always knew that was going to come back to me someday." He grinned at Jessie. "You do have a good right punch."
"Uh, thank you," Jessie said, hoping it was a compliment.
Kayura put her hand on Dayus's jaw and whispered a chant. "Now Jessie," Kayura said when she finished. "How's your headache?"
Jessie didn't answer.
"Sis?" Joana asked.
"It's gone," said Jessie and everyone looked at her. "My headache's gone. I'm fine."
"Are you sure?" Casey asked.
"Casey, I think I know when I have pain in my head." Jessie looked at her. "So do me a favor and don't become a pain in my butt."
Casey stuck her tongue out.
"Do you remember what happened before you were unconscious, Jessie?" asked Sekhmet.
"Gwen said something and a lot of pain," Jessie answered.
"I said, 'Now what'," Gwen said. "Then you flipped out."
"You kept apologizing to Ryo," said Cale. "And you screamed, 'This wasn't supposed to happen.' What wasn't supposed to happen?"
"I don't remember saying anything," Jessie said. "If what wasn't supposed to happen did happen, it's the five of us wearing these things." She rose to her feet. "We're not fighters like the four of you or Ryo and the other Ronin Warriors. Twyla does know Tae Kwon Do and I know a little of the martial arts myself, but that's not enough for all five of us."
"We know that," said Dayus. "After all of you were asleep, we reached a decision."
"What?" the five Americans asked.
"We're going to have to train you to fight." Kayura said.
"Forget it," said Twyla.
"Uh-uh," Casey shook her head.
"No way," Gwen said.
"Can't we leave the fighting to you?" Joana asked.
"We'll just be teaching you the basics that would help you work with the Armors," said Sekhmet.
"The basics wouldn't happen to be the basics you learned, would it?" asked Gwen.
"Yes," said Cale. "Is there a problem with that?"
"Well, to tell you the truth," Twyla started, "since the basics you learned just happened to be taught to you by a psycho demon who tried controlling our world, it doesn't sit very well. So-"
"Wait a minute!" Jessie said and grabbed Twyla's arm. "Meeting of the amateurs to the left." She dragged Twyla and the remaining three followed.
"Hey! Let go of me!" Twyla tried prying Jessie's fingers off her arm.
"Just let me say my piece." Jessie released her and she looked at all four. "We can't get into the Caverns, it's sealed off. And we can't go into the Stream anyway, because the Nether Spirits will come after us."
"Oh, so it's 'we' now, is it?" asked Casey. "Now you want to go into the Stream when we can't. But we could have gone a long time ago when all of this started."
"Okay, I am the human wall," said Jessie. "I'm stubborn and this is what I get for being a bitch to Michael. I know I should have gone into the Stream last month when Twyla suggested it. Sue me."
"I should."
"Sis," Joana spoke up. "You're not saying that we should let them train us, are you?"
"I'm not saying worship them," Jessie said. "All I'm saying is humor them. It's just until we find the Ronins." If we find them, she thought.
"All right," Gwen sighed as Twyla, Casey, and Joana, nodded a little.
Jessie smiled and walked back to the Warlords.
"Well?" Cale asked.
Jessie looked at her not quite so thrilled friends and back to the Warlords. "We're willing to learn," she said carefully. "So please teach us, sensei."
"All right then," said Sekhmet. "We'll start training you."
"But first," Kayura said. "You're going to have to wait a little bit. The four of us need to discuss what to start you with. We'll start you off with something simple. I do believe that the five of you don't want to begin with something too hard." She looked at the other Warlords. They walked to the other side of the room and sat down.
"How long does it take to make up a lesson plan?" Casey asked.
"My guess," said Gwen, "twenty years." She sighed and looked at the Warlords. "They may have lived over four hundred fifty years, but I hope they remember that we're not immortal."
Joana sighed and looked at her friends. Gwen and Casey shared annoyed expressions. Twyla had lied down on the ground and her eyes were closed. Joana couldn't tell if Twyla was meditating or asleep. Jessie was sitting with her knees drawn up, her arms around her legs, and her eyes were half closed. White Blaze, the ever-faithful tiger, was next to her.
"Sis?" Joana said, but Jessie didn't respond. Joana shook her arm. "Jessie?"
"Hmm?" Jessie looked up. "Sorry, I zoned out a little." She moved sitting crossed legged. "My headache is gone, but... I don't know what was causing it."
"Dayus said that there might be a connection between the other Ronins giving us their Armors and your memory lapse when Ryo gave you Wildfire."
Jessie closed her eyes. "Maybe," she said quietly. "I wish I knew. I'm worried about him and the others."
He pulled out a whip and swung it at Jessie. She held up her arms in defense and the whip wrapped around her wrists. The feeling of thousands of electric volts surged through her body causing her to scream.
Jessie gasped and moved back.
"Sis!" Joana said, worried about her friend.
Twyla sat up. "Jess, what's wrong?"
"I... I saw..." Jessie shook her head.
"Are you all right?" Dayus asked.
"Yeah, I guess so." Jessie looked at the Warlords standing behind her. "I... never mind."
"What did you see?" Sekhmet asked.
"Nothing. Forget about it."
"You're lying and no we won't," Joana said.
Jessie looked at her. "Why did you have to do that?"
"I don't know," Joana whimpered. "It just popped out."
"Jessie," said Kayura, "any little bit you can remember would be a big help to figure out what happened when Ryo gave you Wildfire."
Jessie remained quiet for some time. She closed her eyes momentarily then looked at Kayura. "Someone had a whip and he swung it at me," Jessie said, "and I felt like I was being electrocuted."
"A whip?" Cale asked. "What did he look like?"
"Dressed in dark. That's all I can remember."
"That'll have to do for now," Kayura sighed.
"Are you going to start training us or what?" Casey asked.
"We are," answered Sekhmet.
"About time," said Gwen and the five Americans rose to their feet.
"Jessie, Twyla, Joana," said Cale. "You passed."
"Passed what?" Joana asked.
"Your first test."
"But we haven't even started yet," said Twyla.
"On the contrary," said Dayus, "you have.
"Ah, I get it," Jessie said. "Making us wait all that time. You were testing the limit of our patience."
"Exactly," said Kayura. "The three of you passed. Gwen, Casey," she looked at them, "you need to learn to have a little more patience."
"So what you're saying is that you just gave us a pop quiz?" Joana asked.
Kayura nodded. "You could say that."
"This isn't exactly school," said Casey.
"School!" cried Gwen. "Oh no."
"What?" Twyla asked.
"The Missing Persons Department must be having a field day looking for ten certain people that ironically just happen to be Koji Mia's roommates," Gwen said, "and she must be having a hell of a time explaining to the dean of Tokyo University why we're not going to school."
"Oh God," Jessie groaned. "I completely forgot about that." She looked at Kayura. "How long have we been in here? Rough estimate, please?"
"About two or three days," Kayura answered. "I wouldn't worry about it. There's nothing you can do from here. We'll take care of it after we find the Ronins and leave this place."
"Maybe Mia called Dr. Fuji and he has us under quarantine with the flu or something," Jessie smiled.
"Who knows," said Sekhmet. "Now, let's start your lesson." He cleared his throat. "It may not be what you would expect. You may find it..."
"Corny?" supplied Casey.
Jessie hit her arm. [Don't insult them,] she hissed.
Kayura made the Staff appear. She aimed it at the wall and five beams of light shot out, creating five perfectly round rocks the size of bowling balls. Kayura sent the Staff away and picked up one of the rocks. "Use these," she said, "to break those." She gestured to a few half-formed stone pillars.
[This has got to be some kind of joke.] Casey said.
[Unless you got any better ideas,] said Jessie as she walked over to the rocks and picked one up. [Don't start.] She tossed it to Casey. [And let's stop talking in English. It's rude to the Warlords.]
Casey sighed, looked at the rock in her hands, and back to Jessie. "I take it I go first?"
"Well, you've got the rock." Jessie waved towards the pillars.
"Fine." Casey rolled her eyes. "How should I throw this?"
"Any way you want." Kayura answered.
"Casey, throw it like a bowling ball," Gwen suggested.
"Okay," said Casey. She threw the ball and they watched it fly towards the pillars. It struck one and both the pillar and the rock shattered. "Is that good?" Casey asked, sensing that she failed.
"Well," Cale said. "You were only supposed to break the pillar. But I guess that's okay."
"You pass, Casey." Kayura said.
Casey sighed. "Thank you."
"I'll go next," said Joana. She took a rock, threw it, and it lightly hit the pillar. The rock stayed in one piece and the pillar was cracked. Come on... Joana thought. The pillar slowly started to lean over and fell to the ground.
"Pass," said Kayura.
"Way to go, Joana," Gwen said. I'm good at bowling, she thought and threw her rock. However, the rock shattered instead of the pillar.
She did hit the target, Kayura thought, but the ball shattered instead. Oh well. "Pass."
"Sort of," Gwen said quietly, disappointed with herself because of her bowling prowess.
Jessie held the rock in her hands. She closed her eyes briefly then threw her ball with perfect gracefulness. It struck the pillar and everyone watched the pillar shatter and the ball rolled back to Jessie's feet.
"Show off," said Casey.
"I'm impressed, Jessie," Gwen said. "Back home I beat you at bowling any day." She saw the blank look in Jessie's eyes. "Jess..." Gwen shook her friend's arm.
Jessie blinked. "What?"
"Will you quit doing that!" Gwen shrieked at her.
"Doing what?" Jessie asked, confused as to why Gwen was yelling at her. "Didn't I break the pillar?"
"You did," Dayus answered. He and the other Warlords were looking at Jessie with worry.
"You zoned out again, sis." Joana said.
"Sorry," Jessie apologized.
"My turn," Twyla said quickly. She took the last rock from Kayura.
Jessie looked at her friends. She lightly grabbed White Blaze at the scruff of his neck and guided him away from the practice area with Gwen, Joana, and Casey.
"What are you doing?" Sekhmet asked.
"Immortal or not," said Casey. "If you value your lives, get over here."
Twyla glared at them. "I'll do fine!" she snapped. "Watch!" She threw the rock. It hit the pillar then bounced off, hitting the wall, and went flying towards Twyla. She ducked and the rock flew over her.
"Look out!" Dayus shouted.
Unfortunately, Cale's reaction was slow and the ball hit him in his chest, knocking him to the ground. He cried out and both hands rested near his right shoulder. Jessie and Sekhmet ran to him and helped Cale sit up. He coughed, blood spraying from his mouth.
Twyla stared at the Warlord of Corruption in horror. Oh God, she thought, I almost killed him!
"You don't have a sense of aim, Twyla," Cale said hoarsely.
Kayura healed him quickly and looked at Twyla. "You did break something."
"His ribcage," Sekhmet commented.
"Sorry," Twyla said meekly.
"Twyla," said Jessie. "You just got to work on it a little."
A little? Cale thought. Try a lot, Jessie, and you know it.
"Next lesson." Kayura said. She held her hands up and five of the rings from the Staff appeared in her hands. Kayura gave them to Dayus. He made them link together different ways; a long strand, one holding four, two holding three, and took them apart.
[It's like those rings from magic sets,] Gwen said.
"I said don't speak in English." Jessie looked at her.
"Why don't you go first, Twyla." Dayus held out the rings. "It's not as dangerous."
"I noticed," Twyla said. She took the rings from him. It took her a little while to do the linking and separation, but she succeeded and handed them back to Dayus.
"Good," he said and handed the rings to Joana. She took a little less time than Twyla did, and so did Gwen. Casey managed to link the rings in any way possible, unfortunately she couldn't separate them.
"Focus, Casey," said Cale.
"I'm trying," Casey said through her teeth. Giving up, she dropped the rings. And they came apart. Casey growled and stormed off, leaning against the wall, facing away from everyone.
Dayus shrugged as he picked up the rings and handed them to Jessie. She made all the links in just a little more time that Dayus took during his demonstration. Jessie separated the rings and spun them on her finger before giving them back to Dayus.
"Don't get cocky." Dayus said and gave the rings back to his wife.
"I'm not getting cocky." Jessie protested. "So, what's next on the agenda?"
"We'll continue with small lessons like these," Kayura said. "Then we'll start with basic fighting without the full Armors. But we'll get to that soon enough."
"Oh joy," said Twyla.
"Hey Twyla," Jessie said. "It'll be easy for me, easier for you, not so easy for the three of them." She pointed at her other friends. It shouldn't be too bad, she thought. A few images entered her mind. Oh no... Jessie thought as the special attacks replayed in her mind. WE ARE SCREWED!
"Jessie," called Sekhmet.
She looked at him. "Yeah?"
"Your turn."
"Okay." Jessie walked over to take her next test.

11/19/1999
Three things this time:
1) Thank you Kyanite for typing and Squeaky for your little tidbits of plotting info.
2) They don't use Fahrenheit in Japan.
3) I'm going to Florida for Thanksgiving.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! See you in Part Thirteen!