Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Warrior Call ❯ Crystal Sleep ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ronin Warriors
Warrior Call
By Janime
Part Sixteen - Crystal Sleep
**********
"I say we've been here for at least two weeks," Casey said as everyone walked further into the cave.
"It feels like it," said Joana.
"This place is just too creepy," said Gwen.
"Unfortunately, we can't leave yet," Cale said.
They stopped and all but Jessie sat down. Twyla looked at her. "Jess?"
"Don't mind me," she said, "I'm just thinking."
"What about?" asked Kayura.
"Casey's right, it does feel as though we've been here for two weeks," Jessie looked at them. "But the thing that gets me is that none of us are hungry or thirsty. And each of us has gone to the bathroom at least once-"
Cale and Dayus began to snicker, and received a glare from their fellow Venom Warlord.
Jessie shook her head and continued, "What kind of place stops you from feeling hunger? We would have been very close to starvation only after a couple of days."
"I really haven't given it much thought, but you're right," said Kayura.
"No doubt that it's someone with power from the Nether Realm," said Dayus. "I don't just mean because of the Spirits and Soldiers."
Silence fell among them, broken occasionally with a purr from White Blaze.
Jessie sighed. "Okay," she said, "believe it or not, I am saying this - let's go get Michael."
"You're serious?" Twyla asked in shock.
"Yes."
"But you said…" Joana began.
"For the Ronins' sake and yours, I'll swallow my pride and bite my tongue." The look on Jessie's face said it all. "Maybe I have been acting childish, and maybe it's time I apologized to Michael."
"Jessie," said Gwen.
"I still say he's hiding something," Jessie raised her hand.
"But can you go into the Stream, Jessie?" Sekhmet asked. "Last time you had to leave rather quickly."
"Just going to have to chance it," she shrugged.
"I don't like it," Kayura said, "but we're running out of options. What would you have to do when you're in the Stream?"
"Try to get into the Caverns," said Joana. "There must be a way to remove that plate on the doors."
"Because I can't get near it," said Jessie.
Kayura closed her eyes momentarily. "How about I go into the Stream with you, and Jessie stays out with Dayus, Cale, and Sekhmet. When we get the seal off, Jessie can go into the Stream, and then you can look for Michael."
"Sounds good," said Gwen.
Kayura, Twyla, Gwen, Joana, and Casey sat in a circle and went into the Stream. They arrived at the Cavern doors and looked at the seal.
"Can you materialize weapons here?" Kayura asked.
"Not really," said Twyla, "we mostly rely on our powers."
"That's what I thought." Kayura raised her hands. "Keep your guard up, everyone. I'm going to try and break this thing." She began to chant, focusing her power on the seal.
"I hate to rush you, Kayura," Dayus said, "but just in case we have company."
"Don't worry," said Joana, "we'll try to be quick."
"We'll tell you to get out if they come here," said Jessie. "Just break that seal."
I'm trying, Kayura thought and continued to chant. She pointed at the seal and a beam of light shot from her hands. It hit the seal, which shattered and the doors opened. "Okay, Jessie," said Kayura, "it's safe for you to come in now."
Jessie walked over to her friends. She looked at the other Warlords, and knelt between Kayura and Joana. Jessie closed her eyes and entered the Stream.
Kayura touched her arm. "Good luck," she said. "If you need any help, call us." She left.
"Okay," Jessie looked at her friends, "let's go." They walked into the Caverns.
"What a mess," said Gwen. "It looks like a tornado went through here."
"We'll help Michael redecorate when we're home," said Twyla, stepping over a smashed table. "Jessie, can you Track?"
"It's gotten better," Jessie said, "but I have an idea. Remember when Gwen and Joana weren't themselves?"
"Gwen is a Shield and I'm a Seer," said Joana.
"A Shield that can also be used as an Anchor to hold on to," Jessie reminded. "If we all try to combine our powers, maybe we can find Michael a lot faster."
"What are you doing?" they heard Dayus ask.
"We're going to try something that might help us find Michael," answered Jessie. "It might take a little while."
"Don't forget we can't protect you girls forever," said Cale.
"Why does he have to keep calling us 'girls'?" Casey gritted.
The hours went by and the five Americans were still in the Stream. Without much progress, the Warlords guessed.
Jessie opened her eyes and a sad look came across her face. He friends opened their eyes and looked at Jessie with worry.
"What's wrong, sis?" Joana asked.
"Where's Michael?" asked Casey.
Jessie lowered her head. "I can't find him."
"What do you mean you can't find him?!" Twyla was panicked. "I don't get it! We got the Anchor holding part of you to us so you can give yourself over, and the Antenna helping you out, so-"
"I told you that I haven't been practicing!" snapped Jessie. "And I'm getting tired!"
"You should try, Gwen," said Joana. "If Jess and I hold you, and Twy calms down enough to make sure we stay connected, it should have the same effect." She looked meaningfully at Twyla, who rolled her eyes but settled back into her meditation position.
"Is that okay for you, Casey?" Joana asked. "Do you need a break?"
"Look," said Casey, "I'm still not sure what I'm doing-"
"Can we not start that again?" called Cale. "How long do expect us to guard you girls?"
Casey glared at him. "I resent being called a-"
Gwen clamped her hand over Casey's mouth. "One more try, please?" said Gwen. "Just meditate again, Casey, if I'm going to try this…" Casey nodded and Gwen removed her hand.
"Ready, sis?" Joana asked.
"How do you know that Gwen can Track?" asked Jessie.
Joana shrugged then grinned. "Trust me. Pun intended."
Jessie sighed. "Let's get going. Not like Mike wanted me to find him anyway…"
"When we do find him," said Twyla, "no bodily harm to the Cavern Watcher whatsoever."
"All right," Jessie grumbled.
They entered the Steam again. This time Gwen became the center-point for their powers - seeking, probing, and searching the Cavern for the Watcher.
Gwen and Jessie's mental eyes flew open. "The Vault!" they said as one, and all five ran to the stairwell and down the steps.
There wasn't much rubble blocking the iron door, so the girls had no trouble clearing a path. Twyla and Casey grabbed the handle, turned it one-quarter clockwise, and pulled it open.
Joana peeked inside. "Michael?" she called.
"I'm right here," someone coughed. Joana ran into the Vault and helped the raven-haired man out. "Thank the heavens you're all right," said Michael as he sat on a piece of stone. "All of you."
"Same goes for you, Mike," said Gwen.
"How did you get locked in there?" Casey asked.
"I did that to myself," Michael confessed. "I placed everything important in the Vault along with the sacred Scrolls. Once everything was stored safely, I walked in and closed the door." He smiled at them. "I knew you would come."
"We had a hard time getting here," said Twyla. "Are you going to be okay?"
"I'll be fine," Michael looked at the room. "Although, I do predict having a headache later on."
"Michael," said Jessie, "the Ronin Warriors… we don't know where they are. Can you help us find them?"
"I know of your situation," said the Cavern Watcher, "but I'm sorry. I cannot help you."
"What?" Joana looked at him.
"But, Michael…" Gwen said.
"Mike," Jessie said, "if this about when I punched you-"
"No, Jessie, it's not," Michael stood up and walked over to her. "You had every right to hit me, Jessie. I should have told you about your power a long time ago, but I couldn't and still can't. I'm sorry that I can't help you find the Ronins. You have to find them, my dear."
"But how? I haven't practiced my Tracking in a long time."
"Time has no meaning in some places. You still know how to Track, and I know you can find them."
Jessie looked doubtful for a moment, then smiled at Michael. "Okay, I'll do it."
"That's the spirit," Michael grinned.
"Speaking of spirits," said Jessie, "how come you never told us about Anubis?"
Michael closed his eyes and turned his cheek. "Just get it over with."
"No," Jessie shook her head. "I'm not going to hit you, Mike. I just wish that you could at least give us a hint of what's going on."
"Then the balance would tilt," Michael said. "I think you better go back now. No doubt that the Warlords are getting concerned about what's happening here."
"You sure you don't need some help?" asked Joana.
"I'll handle it. How does it look upstairs?"
"Do you have a bulldozer?" Gwen smirked.
Michael sighed. "The prices I pay for being the Cavern Watcher." He smiled at the girls. "Good luck. I know you'll do well."
They returned the smiled and left the Stream.
"Well?" asked Sekhmet.
"Michael's safe," said Jessie, "and he was nice to me."
"Is he going to help us?" Cale asked.
"He would if he could," said Twyla.
Kayura sighed. "He doesn't know where they are, does he?"
"No," Gwen shook he head. "Michael can't find them. He said that Jessie has to."
"I love to know how I'm going to do that," said Jessie. "I know that my Tracking has improved, but it's still not enough."
"Can we do the same thing like we did in the Stream?" Casey asked.
"I don't see why not," said Joana.
White Blaze looked down the passage growled.
"Unfortunately," said Dayus, "I think you better save it for another time."
Everyone jumped to their feet and ran further down the passage. Casey was tailing behind, finally stopped and gasped for breath.
Jessie turned around and ran to her. "Casey," she said, "we have to keep going."
"I'm tired," Casey said between gasps.
"So am I, but we can't stop." Jessie looked as the others continued on ahead.
"Okay," Casey took a deep breath, "I'm ready." Jessie nodded at her and they ran to catch up with the rest of the group.
Suddenly the floor disappeared beneath them. Jessie managed to grab onto the edge at the last possible second.
"Jess!" Casey shrieked.
Jessie looked over her shoulder and saw Casey holding onto her left foot handle, looking extremely terrified. Jessie looked back up and she knew that the others were too far ahead.
{HELP!} her mind screamed.
"Hold it!" said Gwen and everyone skidded to a halt. "Where's Jessie and Casey?"
"Oh no," said Twyla.
"There's no way the Nether Soldiers could've gotten them," Dayus said.
Gwen looked at him. "Well then tell me where-"
{HELP!}
An image of Jessie and Casey hanging off the edge of a cliff flashed into their minds.
"Ancient…" whispered Kayura, as Cale and Sekhmet ran back down the tunnel.
"Casey, hang on!" Jessie grunted.
"I'm hanging! I'm hanging!" her friend cried.
Jessie braced her right foot against the wall. Very carefully, she started to pull herself up, and reached for the crack not too far ahead.
Just a little more… she thought. Her other hand slipped and both girls screamed as they fell.
Someone grabbed Jessie's hand. She stopped screaming and looked up to see Sekhmet and Cale; both had looks of relief mixed with terror.
Casey stopped screaming. "We're not falling," she whimpered.
"Hey, Casey," Jessie said in a shaky voice, "Calvary's here."
Casey didn't say anything, only started to cry.
"Jessie," Sekhmet tightened his grip on her hand, "you and cliffs."
"Tell me about it," she said.
"Jess." Cale reached down to her. She grabbed his hand and the two Warlords pulled them up. They led the girls away from the edge and let them sit for a little while to calm down.
"It's all right," Cale said to Casey as her rocked her back and forth to quiet her sobs. "It's all right."
"Where are the others?" Jessie asked.
"Not far ahead," Sekhmet answered her.
"Right here," said Twyla as the rest of the group arrived. "What happened?"
"The floor disappeared," said Jessie.
"Casey, are you okay?" Joana asked.
"Yeah," the blond girl sniffed, her tears calmer.
"How did you know to come back for us?" Jessie asked. "You guys were pretty far ahead."
"We saw you two hanging onto the cliff," said Cale.
"And we heard you scream 'Help'," Sekhmet said.
"But I didn't scream," said Jessie. "Not out loud, in my head."
"We heard you," said Dayus.
"It's the Armors," Kayura said. "All of us are connected, but perhaps now that you're wearing Wildfire, Jessie, the smaller abilities might have been given a little more strength from your power."
Oh, the Ronins going to be so happy when they hear that, Jessie thought sarcastically.
"Let's get moving," said Kayura, "I don't mean to push you two..."
"We know," said Jessie, as Sekhmet and Cale helped her and Casey to stand, and they continued on. Jessie touched Casey's arm. "And you wonder why I hate heights," she said.
Casey began to cry again and hugged Jessie. "I promise never to make fun of you the next time you're standing on a stepstool," Casey vowed.
Yes, you will, Jessie thought and returned the hug.
They started walking again and stopped as the tunnel divided into two paths.
"How's your Tracking, sis?" Joana asked.
"Finding your computer disks was a lot easier," said Jessie, walking to one of the passages.
"Why don't we try to find them the way we found Michael?" Gwen suggested. "It's worth a shot."
Jessie nodded and walked by the second passage. "I don't see why not. We-" she stopped and looked down the tunnel. White Blaze walked next to her and purred.
"Jess, what is it?" Twyla asked.
"What's the matter?" asked Casey.
"Sis?" asked Joana.
"What's wrong?" Gwen asked.
"For once," Jessie smiled at them with tears brimming in her eyes, "not a thing." She took off down the tunnel with White Blaze.
"Wait!" Kayura yelled. "Jessie!" They ran after her and the tiger.
Jessie stopped as the tunnel divided into three this time, deciding which way to go. White Blaze growled and Jessie looked at the passage to her left. She smiled broadly and happy tears ran down her cheeks. Jessie walked into the passage; it was in the shape of a pentagon with short tunnels at the five points.
Rowen, Cye, Ryo, Sage, and Kento were at the end of tunnels, encased in crystals the same colors as their Armors.
"Circle of Light," Jessie whispered. "They're in the order of the Circle of Light."
"Jessie!" called Dayus as they entered. "Why did you take off like that?"
"Look!" Jessie waved her hand.
Everyone did as she said and their eyes widened.
"Ancient One…" Kayura said quietly.
"The Ronins," said Cale.
"I don't believe it," said Sekhmet, "Jessie, you found them."
Each of the girls went to the Ronin who gave them the Armor that they wore.
"Oh, Kento," Gwen said and lightly touched the crystal near his face.
"I'm sorry you went through all that trouble," Joana said to Cye, "but I'm like Akane from Ranma One-half when it comes to swimming."
"Well, Sage," Casey said, "I hope you wake up soon. I'm getting tired of wearing this."
Twyla looked at Rowen. Like the other four Ronins, he wasn't wearing anything, although the dark color blocked viewing below the waistline.
Such a modest crystal, Twyla thought and walked closer to Rowen, trying to see past the sight obstacle.
"Twyla!" cried Gwen. She jumped, turned around and looked at Gwen, Joana who had looks of disbelief, and a grinning Casey.
"What are you doing?" asked Joana.
"Inspecting his arrow?" Casey grinned even wider.
"Who asked you?!" Twyla hissed.
"Twyla, you hentai!" Casey laughed.
"Shut up!"
Meanwhile, Jessie stood in front of Ryo. Exactly like the dream, she thought, only I'm wearing Wildfire. Jessie placed her hand on the crystal and closed her eyes.
What happened, Ryo? Jessie asked silently. What happened after you gave me Wildfire? Why can't I remember? She took her hand off the crystal and looked at Ryo sadly.
"Jessie?" Cale asked from behind.
"I can feel him," she said, turning to face the Warlords. "But…"
"You can't hear him," said Sekhmet.
Jessie shook her head as new tears fell. "No, I can't…"
"It's all right, Jessie," Kayura walked over to her.
"This sucks," Jessie wiped her tears. "Points for us finding them, but how to we get them out?"
"We'll think of something," said Dayus.
The Warlords continued to train the girls, using the other two passages for special attacks to prevent any damage happening to the crystallized Ronins.
Twyla had just finished practicing with Cale and was looking for Jessie so he could train her. Twyla found Casey and Joana, and asked, "Have you seen Jessie?"
"She's meditating by Sage," Joana said.
"And you don't know how tempted I am to say something very naughty," Casey smiled.
"I can imagine." Twyla walked to Sage's tunnel. Sure enough, Jessie was meditating in front of Sage, wearing full Wildfire.
"Jessie," said Twyla, "Cale said it's your turn." No response. "Jess?" Twyla walked over to her and shook her arm. "Hello?"
But Jessie remained as she was - silent and unmoving. Twyla put her fingers under Jessie's nose and felt a little relieved that she was still breathing.
"Okay, Jessie," said Twyla, "you're scaring me. Come on, snap out of it."
"Twyla," said Gwen, "Cale wants to see Jessie." She walked in with Joana and Casey.
"Well, I'd be more than happy to send her if she'd wake up."
The three arrivals ran over to them. "I hate it when she does this," Joana said.
"I don't think she does this on purpose," Casey said and knocked on Jessie's helmet. "HELLO!" she yelled in the motionless girl's ear.
"Maybe we should get Kayura," Gwen suggested. "I don't think that Jessie-"
"The Circle!" Jessie blurted, her eyes snapping open and she fell over. Jessie pulled herself to her feet and frowned. She took her helmet off and rubbed her ear. "Why does my ear hurt?"
"Because I screamed in it," said Casey.
"Why?"
"You were in a deep trance, Jess," Twyla said.
"How long?" Jessie asked.
"Cale wants to train you now."
Jessie's eyes widened. "You've got to be kidding." Her friends shook their heads. Why does all the fun stuff happen to me? Jessie thought.
"Jessie, Cale's waiting," said Twyla.
Jessie nodded and left Sage's tunnel.
"I don't care what you say, Cale, I am NOT doing the Flare."
"Don't worry, Jessie, I wasn't planning on having you do it."
Both stood wearing their sub-armors. Cale had his nodachi and Jessie had one katana.
"Good," Jessie took her stance, "shall we?"
Cale held his sword mid-level. "Whenever you're ready."
Jessie charged at him and swung her blade. Cale moved to the side, spun around, and kicked Jessie's legs. She fell to the ground, rolled away, and quickly got to her feet.
During their session, Jessie kept her distance from Cale, attacking him when he got close. She hit his left hip with the flat side of her sword and he jumped back.
"Very good," said Cale, "that's enough for today." He lowered his sword.
Jessie lowered hers too, and suddenly Cale sprang at her, only to have his blade blocked by Jessie's.
"You remembered," Cale grinned.
"After you nearly sliced my head off," said Jessie, "I'm not making mine disappear until yours goes first."
Cale laughed as he backed up a little, sending his nodachi away. Jessie sent away her katana and they sat next to each other, leaning against the wall.
"So who does Casey like?" Cale asked.
Jessie laughed. "You're not going to start with that again, are you?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Just… curious," Cale said lamely.
"Cale," said Jessie and he looked at her, "you like her, don't you?"
Cale looked away, feeling his face turn red and hated it. "What makes you say that?"
"Because you have been acting very weird ever since Anubis tossed Casey to you," Jessie said, "and you're acting very protective of her in here."
Cale lowered his head in defeat. "You got me," he said, "I really like her a lot."
"Maybe bordering in love?"
"You're a pest."
"Thank you," Jessie smiled. "Are you?"
"I think I am," Cale sighed and looked at her. "You're not going to say anything, are you?"
Jessie shook her head. "I've embarrassed Casey. I'm not going to embarrass you. As for which one of you three she likes," she grinned, "that stays with me until we're home safe and sound."
Cale smiled and got to his feet. "Coming?"
"Nah, I'll just sit for a while," Jessie said.
Cale left the passage. A few minutes later, Sekhmet walked in.
"Damn, you're good," Jessie said quietly.
"I told you," Sekhmet grinned, "Cale likes her." He crouched next to Jessie. "Now if someone will mention who Casey likes-"
"Nice try," said Jessie, "but I will tell you that Casey will not suffer from Kayura's wrath."
"For her sake, that's good."
"Which one?"
"Both." Sekhmet stood up and left the tunnel.
Jessie leaned against the wall and sighed. "Feel better, Dayus?" she asked.
"Much," the Illusion Warlord said, as he appeared leaning against the wall across from her. "Can you at least tell me who she likes?"
"No, you should be glad that it's not you," Jessie narrowed her eyes. "And as for eavesdropping-"
"I won't say a word to Cale," promised Dayus.
"Good," said Jessie. "Now scram. I want to relax a little."
Dayus bowed to her and left the tunnel.
Jessie shut her eyes and meditated, letting her muscles relax and cleared her mind. She continued for quite some time until a chill went down her spine made her eyes snap open.
Getting to her feet, Jessie looked down the passage. It wasn't Nether Soldiers - somehow she knew that. But what it was exactly, she didn't.
I don't think so! Jessie quickly ran out of the passage, summoning her Armor.

11/4/2000
It's already been a year since I was in Florida for Thanksgiving.
Amazingly, I FINALLY convinced my parents to let me go to Marymount College in October to see Squeaky and spend the night there. (How many years did it take, Squeaky?) I had a good time and met her friends. (Hey everybody! Miss you all!)
Anyway, I'm working on designing a web page. I bet a lot of you people are saying, "About freaking time, Janime!" Yes, it is. Haven't signed up with anyone for space yet (working on it, relax). Most likely I'll have it up after the New Year. I'm not giving a specific date; I'm never on time when it comes to something like this.
~Janime
January 2001- Web page is up and running as you can see.