Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two Swords: The Tangled Web ❯ The Hot Springs ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It's time for another chapter. Hooray!

Tiranth: AHH! It's not an Inu/Kaoru, Ken/Kag story. Sorry if I disappointed you.

Disclaimer: Continues to belong to other people.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kaoru sighed as she let her body settle further into the heat of the hot springs. She was having a hard time with everything she had just learned. She was in the past. Not Kenshin's past, but the real past. Three hundred and fifty years away from home. That was much tougher to handle than any number of miles. Her home simply didn't exist yet where she was. That was not the worst part though.

"Are you feeling better, Kaoru?"

"Yes, Kagome." Kagome. She was the worst part. It wasn't that she didn't like Kagome because she really did. It was just so strange. Sitting next to her in the soothing water was a woman who was almost like herself. They shared the same soul. Kagome was her reincarnation. When she died her soul would settle into the woman now before her. She had learned that there was a powerful miko named Kikyo who was in love with Inuyasha. It was that woman's soul that now was her own. Kikyo had been tricked into believing Inuyasha betrayed her and pinned him to a tree before dying. It was the same tree Kaoru had been so fascinated with. That explained why. Her lack of fear of the hanyou was also explained. Her soul knew him before her eyes ever could. It was only when he was there in all his white haired glory that she felt it. She never wavered in her love for Kenshin, but this man was amazing. His being called to hers. She stared off into the rising steam. She didn't know that next to her, Kagome was also thinking. She understood the way her soul had been drawn to Kenshin now. It was the will of Kaoru that rested within her. Part of her soul may have been reaching for the samurai, but her heart belonged to someone else.

"Kaoru?" Both women were torn from their thoughts by the small voice.

"Yes, Sango?" Kaoru looked at the woman before her. She was tougher and stronger than Kagome, but she was raised in this difficult time, so that made sense. Her body was littered with scars of all sizes that were almost faded away. With her bodysuit or kimono on, they couldn't be seen, but in the state she was in, they were more than evident. Kaoru felt sorry for her. She must have been suffering so much for so long.

"How long have you known your friend?" Kaoru thought that was an odd question. Why did she want to know that? Could she want Kenshin? Megumi was enough competition.

"I have known Kenshin for a long time. He was a wanderer who came to my dojo. He protects me with his life and has promised never to leave me." Sango was taken aback. This girl sounded almost hostile.

"Kenshin is the one with the orange hair right?"

"Yes he is."

"I didn't mean him." Kaoru turned ten shades of red. Of course this woman didn't want Kenshin. She could tell he was taken. Her attention had turned elsewhere.

"You mean Sanosuke. Oh! I have known Sano almost as long as I have known Kenshin. They first met in a fight. Kenshin won, and now they are best friends. He's great even if he is a worthless free loader." Kaoru's big smile almost worried Sango.

"Oh, I was just wondering." The women sighed and sat for a while longer.

"I think it's time we give the guys a chance. I brought some extra clothes for you Kaoru. They're old style pants and a blue top. I hope that's okay." Kaoru looked at her happily.

"Oh, it's fine. They look almost like the clothes I train in." The three women got dressed and didn't notice the snapping of the twigs beyond them.

Inuyasha sat cross-legged on the front stoop next to Kenshin who was sitting the same way. Sanosuke, Miroku, Yahiko and Shippo were inside regaling each other with stories of their heroics, or rather, Kenshin and Inuyasha's heroics. They were both staring in the direction the women had gone. They didn't talk for a while. What was there to say to someone so different than one's self?

"I didn't like it when Kagome touched you." It was Inuyasha who broke the ice. This man needed to know that Kagome was his, and she was off limits. He was surprised by the answer that came from the small orange haired man.

"I know. I didn't like it when Miss Kaoru touched you either. That I did not." The men then lapsed back into silence. No more words were said. There was no need for them. Both men understood to whom the women were meant for. Kenshin had no intention of going after Kagome, as Inuyasha had no want of Kaoru. Besides Inuyasha didn't need another woman in his life. They continued to watch the forest. The sun was overhead and small butterflies flapped about. The day seemed so peaceful. Inuyasha closed his eyes and breathed in, enjoying the aroma that the wildflowers gave off. Then something else assaulted his senses. His back stiffened, and his eyes jerked open.

"No!"

"What is it?" Kenshin was full of worry. He knew that Inuyasha could tell things that he could not. Suddenly screams rang out from the direction of the hot springs.

"Kagome!"

"Miss Kaoru!"

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

A/N: All right! Now we're getting into the good part. Review and I'll continue!