Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Altered Perceptions ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin
 
Altering Perceptions - Chapter 2
 
Misao had dozed off in his arms as soon as the sun rose. Aoshi spent long moments contemplating the drawn look on her face, the extent of her injuries still apparent. Her skin was luminous despite the dark circles and fading bruises. She looked small and fragile encompassed by his larger frame, even though he knew her strength. A lingering glance at the curves of her body exposed by the white yukata brought up feelings he was not ready to contemplate.
 
Standing smoothly with her, he arranged her carefully in his arms to avoid jarring her back. She sighed a little, and settled closer to him in her sleep. He noted the firm weight of her toned limbs as he moved quietly up the stairs, their wiry strength belying the softness of her appearance.
 
He shook his head a little as those forbidden feelings rose again, grateful when he could place her carefully on her futon. Long fingers brushed aside a few stray hairs on her forehead before rising and leaving the room on silent feet.
 
Aoshi couldn't shake the empty feeling, even as he settled in to distract himself with the work of the day.
 
~*~
 
Several days passed, filled by the somewhat irritating work of cleaning up a few messes the recent incident had engendered. The government wanted continued observations of the fragments of the yakuza gang, for reasons Aoshi could not yet fathom. The reports from his operatives were fragmented and monotonous at best, considering how deeply the survivors had hidden. The fate of their leader was still somewhat uncertain, but Aoshi figured the government would eventually execute him to send a message to his organization and peers.
 
Not that it would change anything, he thought ruefully. Slime has a way of creeping back into the dark recesses of the city.
 
A quiet knock on the shoji drew his attention. Misao entered, two cups of steaming tea set on a tray in front of her. He stood and took the tea from her, and she settled herself cross-legged in front of his desk. He noted the smoother way she moved from a few nights ago, and was glad of her progress. She was dressed simply in a worn training gi and pants. He seemed to notice every part of her, including her still-pale skin, the slightly frayed collar of the gi, and the fact that her ebony hair was now bound in its customary braid.
 
“You are feeling better.” It was a statement, not a question. He warmed a little at her cheerful smile.
 
“Yes, I can almost braid the whole thing by myself. I think I'll be ready to head back into the dojo next week.”
 
“Do not push yourself. There is no need.”
 
Her smile faded a little, shifting into a more somber expression. She glanced down at her tea, slowly taking a sip.
 
“Aoshi-sama, we need to talk.”
 
One elegant eyebrow raised in response to her statement. He took a sip from his own tea, and set it down on the desk.
 
“I have been thinking about this Okashira business, and I have a proposal for you.”
 
She seemed to hesitate, and looked up into his steady gaze. Aoshi kept his visage schooled into its customary mask, hiding his wariness. After a moment of consideration, he nodded for her to continue.
 
“We both know that we do very different work in the name of the Oniwabanshuu. Your missions are wholly in the shadows, involving people considered threats to the government and Kyoto as a whole.” His eyebrows rose again at her comments, and she smiled a little. “I'm not stupid. There has to be a damned good reason why you won't tell me anything.
 
“My work, on the other hand, is almost wholly in the daylight. Sort of. Only some of the citizens of Kyoto know who we are, and very few will speak our name aloud. But they do know where to come when their families and livelihoods are being threatened. You may not know this, but I have worked with the police on several cases, and taken care of many more incidents before they came to the authorities attention.”
 
Aoshi clenched his teeth just a little. He did not know the extent of her work. If the police were involved in some cases, that meant she had put herself in danger. He made a mental note to interrogate Okina later.
 
Misao smiled again, this time a bit of satisfaction flashing through her gaze.
 
“Irritating, isn't it.” He considered responding, but she continued. “More importantly, it is counterproductive. I am content with my role and yours. However, we must face the other at times.
 
“Here is my proposal,” she leaned forward a little, eyes intently focused on his. “I remain in charge of what I do best, being a more visible Okashira to those who need us. You remain the `shadow Okashira' to cover the secret operations requested by those who need us to remain hidden. We each have our own operatives, but we talk to each other. Share information so that we don't bump into each other's missions and so that we know what things we hear may be important to the other. I don't need to know who hired you and why, but knowing who you are watching will keep me and those working for me safe and out of your work.”
 
Misao sat back a bit and picked up her cup again. She paused in drinking, and snared his eyes with her large, luminous orbs. He caught the barest glint of humor before she became serious again.
 
“Ultimately, it will mean us working closer together. But I don't think that's a problem.”
 
Aoshi sat back a little, sipping his tea. The familiar motions gave him time to roll around her proposal. There were consequences to accepting and to refusing. There was her safety to consider as well as her pride. Yet Misao armed with more information could also be dangerous. It wasn't that he did not trust her, but she did have the tendency to rush headlong into situations. On the other hand, if he knew more about what she was doing, he could protect her better. He doubted she would relinquish information if he did not.
 
He smiled inwardly as he took in her attempt to be patient. For all her increased maturity and grace, the twitching of one foot belied her calm exterior.
 
She had no idea what she did to him.
 
Brushing that thought aside, he set his tea down on the table with a light tok.
 
“I need some time to consider your proposal.”
 
She sighed a little and nodded.
 
“I figured as much. Let me know when you reach a decision.”
 
Aoshi watched her rise gracefully, taking her mug and tray with her. The shoji closed silently behind her. He listened for a few moments, and caught the quiet but enthusiastic `Yes!' that she voiced on the way down the stairs.
 
This time the smile bubbled just briefly to his lips before disappearing.
 
~*~
 
Three weeks passed. Aoshi noted Misao's impatience, but ignored it. He refused to be rushed on such an important decision. Okina had laid out the pros and cons just as he had in his head countless times, but he still hesitated to make the decision. He was actually somewhat frustrated with himself. It wasn't like him not to act decisively when it came to the Oniwabanshuu. It was only late at night that he would begin to admit that the stakes were much higher this time. He still refused to admit why.
 
In the mean time, Misao had returned to working out front at the Aoiya's restaurant. She spent her time serving and chatting with the regulars, cheerfully greeting newcomers with her outgoing personality. Aoshi had taken to eating lunch downstairs, partially at Okina's prodding, finding he enjoyed watching her move effortlessly from table to table, balancing large trays of food. She waved off his inquires of the weight she was carrying, breezily stating that she wouldn't attempt it if she wasn't ready.
 
This day was no different, besides the increased intensity of the lunch rush. Both Misao and Okon bustled between tables, taking orders, carrying food, and inquiring after their customers' needs. Misao's order book disappeared swiftly in and out of the pocketed apron/smock she wore over her gi and training pants, seeming to be her new daily uniform. Aoshi sat at his customary seat in the back of the room, clad in a reserved yukata, eyes taking in everything with his shrewd gaze. Okina sat across from him with a sigh, nodding to Okon in thanks when she set tea before him. Aoshi did not move, but flicked his eyes to the old man before continuing his observation.
 
“She's doing much better it seems,” Okina said lowly, looking over his shoulder at the hectic scene.
 
“Aa.”
 
“She's back in the dojo as well, making quite a few improvements. She could use a hand with some of the finer points.”
 
Quiet moments passed, Aoshi calmly eating the rice balls that sat before him.
 
“You really should give her an answer.”
 
Aoshi leveled his cool gaze on Okina. The old man did not flinch, but returned the look steadily. Aoshi looked back away.
 
“I will.”
 
“When?”
 
“Soon.”
 
Not wanting to pursue this line of conversation any longer, Aoshi stood, taking his tea with him. He left the table, walking towards the kitchen and the stairwell upstairs.
 
He would have missed it had he not been so thoroughly trained. As Misao approached a table to take an order, a customer placed a folded slip of paper near the edge. She placed her order book over it, wrote down the order, and picked it back up. The paper was gone, obviously secreted somewhere on her person. It happened very quickly, and Misao bounded past him to the kitchen soon after.
 
Aoshi considered asking after the exchange, but simply continued on upstairs. He did not have an answer for her, so by rights could not demand information. Well, he could, and contemplated a few methods of doing so, but he wanted her to continue speaking to him in the near future. The prospect of being without her company after coming close to losing her was . . . unacceptable.
 
He settled himself back behind his desk, getting ready for a long afternoon of reports. While it was important that he read and consider the information, he was not focused today. Misao's proposal and Okina's prodding weighed heavily on his mind. He stared out the window for a while, rolling thoughts around in his troubled brain.
 
Aoshi heard the footfalls before the shoji opened, Misao entering quietly. She had changed into a plain yukata and obi, haori thrown over her arm. A quiet urgency hovered around her form, and he noted the small slip of paper held in her hand.
 
“Aoshi-sama, do you have time this afternoon to do a favor for me?”
 
He raised his eyebrow in question.
 
“I would ordinarily ask someone else, but both Shuro and Kuro are occupied. I don't want to interrupt other affairs.”
 
“What do you need?”
 
Her smile lit up the room.
 
“Backup mostly. I just need you to accompany me while I take care of some business, and give me a hand if need arises.”
 
He considered for a moment, and nodded. What better way to inform his decision than to see her in action?
 
“What do I need?”
 
She swept her gaze over his person. He felt odd at her scrutiny, and somewhat warm.
 
“I would prefer hakama or pants to your ninja outfit. And it is cool enough that you will need a coat, but not your white trench coat please. I don't want to draw undue attention.”
 
He nodded briskly, moving through the side panels of the room to his sleeping quarters and pulling on a set of hakama. It was the fastest solution, though he much preferred his ninja attire. He considered western clothing, but had no desire to stand out that much at the moment. Finishing the ties and selecting a nondescript haori, he stepped back into the room.
 
Misao nodded in satisfaction and drew on her own outer garment. They left unhurriedly through the front door, though she picked up her pace once they left the Aoiya grounds. He noted as she walked that the yukata had a fair amount of give in the legs. Women's clothing in general was restrictive, and he was curious as to her solution. He schooled himself to not stare at the enticing glimpses of white leg her motions caused. Why he was so interested now when her training garb was so indecent was beyond him.
 
She began speaking lowly as they moved through the city streets towards one of the commercial districts.
 
“One of our protected neighborhoods borders on the proclaimed `territory' of some thugs. They like to extort protection money from the locals. This group seems to be somewhat disorganized, and this is the first time I've had to step in personally.”
 
“I see.” She seemed to sense his unspoken question.
 
“The other business owners refused to pay, as they already had our protection. We don't charge anything of course, just ask for information in return. Gotta keep those ears to the ground. Anyway, one of those contacts noticed a new guy getting harassed, and he hasn't taken up his colleague's advice to get help from us. So he tipped me off this afternoon that the thugs were making their weekly visit this afternoon. We need to be there to stop it.”
 
“Aa.” He understood both the importance and the urgency now. She really was intelligent to ward off holes in the information network. If one person fell to the enemy, that is one more unknown. They had been able to get swift answers to local inquires of late; perhaps that was due to her careful tending.
 
She paused briefly, indicating for him to bend down towards her. She pretended to brush dust off his haori as she murmured in his ear.
 
“The store is ahead. Two of the thugs are across the street, another is waiting next to the store. They must have started. I need you to stay outside by the doorway. Only interfere if I'm in danger. Okay?”
 
He nodded. He did not like holding back, but it was her mission. He trusted his reflexes to respond fast enough.
 
She entered the establishment, a pottery shop. Aoshi had a clear view of the inside from the door. A bowl dropped purposefully from a large man's hands as Misao ventured further into the room, a smaller man leaning over the counter towards the shopkeeper.
 
“Ma, ma,” the shorter man said silkily. “My friend here is so clumsy. It would be a pity for you to lose more merchandise.”
 
The shopkeeper's eyes flicked to Misao, seeming both grateful and terrified at the interruption.
 
“G-good afternoon,” he said shakily, bowing to Misao. “Can I help you?”
 
“Yes, please Kamamoto-san.” The shopkeeper's eyes widened in surprise as she used his name. “I am from the restaurant up town. Hisayaga-san said you may have some less than perfect cups you were looking for help with.” Her tone was pleasant, but Aoshi saw the hard look in her eyes. Her light stress on the words `restaurant,' `Hisayaga' and `help' seemed to have an effect on him, as he calmed at her request.
 
“That merchandise is in back, could I trouble you to wait?”
 
Misao flicked her eyes to the two thugs, then down to the broken bowl.
 
“Are you sure you don't want to finish your business here?” She smiled sweetly, a touch of malice in her eyes. “These men don't look like your regular customers.”
 
A pregnant pause laid over the room. Aoshi tensed a little, but Misao just held the shopkeeper's eyes firmly.
 
“I believe my business is concluded with them.” He nodded to the men, hands shaking a bit. “Good day.”
 
“We are not done here. Take care of this girl and we'll continue.”
 
“How rude!” Misao exclaimed, stepping closer to the shorter man. “If the owner says you are done, then you should leave.”
 
“Why you-”A snarl worked its way onto the man's face, and he reached out to grab her.
 
Aoshi tensed, but Misao's foot flashed out, knocking the man's feet out from under him. As he hit the ground face first, her little foot ground into the pressure point on his calf. The man writhed in pain. Aoshi saw the larger man reach behind him for a blade at his waist. Stepping up behind him, Aoshi locked his hand around the man's wrist, pulling it upwards slightly to immobilize him surreptitiously.
 
“Don't,” he said quietly. The man struggled slightly, but more pressure kept him still.
 
Misao, in the meantime, had knelt down next to the pained man, her knee firmly planted on his ankle. From his scrabbling on the floor, Aoshi knew she was close to breaking the bone.
 
“Your business is complete here. I suggest you take it elsewhere. Better yet, abandon it altogether.” Her firm tone brokered no argument.
 
She stood up suddenly, the man gritting his teeth in pain. He got up and glowered at her.
 
“This is not over.”
 
Misao did not respond, and the man limped out. Aoshi turned the man he held and `helped' him out the door. He stood coldly in the doorway and watched the two men get joined by the three outside and slink away.
 
Misao was smiling and speaking to the shopkeeper when he turned back inside.
 
“You are okay Kamamoto-san? They only threatened your business, correct?”
 
“Y-yes, ah, Miss . . .”
 
“Don't worry about that. But you know who I am, correct?”
 
Kamamoto paled a little, and nodded.
 
“And you know from your colleagues that I ask for nothing in return but your eyes and ears?”
 
“Yes,” he sighed. “Please forgive my stubbornness. I did not think they would follow up on their threats.”
 
Misao smiled at him warmly.
 
“Just remember, you can never have too many friends. Send word to the restaurant or Hisayaga-san if you are further bothered. And inform us of anything suspicious.”
 
Kamamoto bowed, and they left.
 
Misao did not speak until they were a good distance away.
 
“That went well,” she said, smiling happily. “Thank you, your support was perfect. Not that I expected any less.”
 
He nodded at the compliment.
 
“What now?”
 
“Now, we wait. I should get some information from him or Hisayaga within the week. If I don't, I make a return visit for observation. Try to catch the thugs at work again.”
 
“And if they return?”
 
“Then things get more complicated. Usually, I'll have another operative chase them off and observe the location for a day or so, longer if necessary. Then I or someone else will follow the group to their headquarters and set up surveillance. Depending on their threat, we inform the police or take further action ourselves.”
 
He nodded. Very logical, and allowing for contingencies. The serious but easy way she spoke of the operation spoke to her experience in executing such a mission. Perhaps she had grown far more than he gave her credit for.
 
They walked in silence for a while longer, before she cleared her throat.
 
“You know,” she said quietly, “I was doing just such a mission that day.”
 
Aoshi's gut twisted at her words. He did not falter in his step, but worked hard to keep the emotions of that day from swirling to the surface.
 
“A bunch of guys had been bothering shop owners, just like today, and I started following them. I knew they were a cut above the usual gangs, but needed some concrete information to bring to the police. I didn't expect them to have covert operatives of their own.”
 
She sighed a little and looked up at him, challenge without recrimination in her gaze.
 
“I would have come to you right away had I known you were investigating them.”
 
His heart skipped a beat as her words twisted inside him. That she placed no blame just wounded him further.
 
“I'd like to avoid that again if I can,” she finished, eyes on the road ahead once more.
 
A dozen more steps, and he found his voice.
 
“I agree, and accept.”
 
Misao's small hand took his and squeezed gently. He wrapped his fingers around hers and did not let go until they reached the Aoiya. For those few moments, he allowed the peace of her presence to wash over him again, much as it had the morning he held her in his arms.