Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Alliance ❯ Unexpected Arrival ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3

"My lord?" a page boy timidly asked. Lord Aoshi sat up in bed. He had been awake long before the page boy actually opened his door. Hannya was standing there as well. He would not disturb him unless it was urgent.

"Queen Kamiya has arrived," Hannya said.

"Has Himura been notified?"

"He is on his way to the throne room."

"How the hell did she get here so quickly?" Aoshi asked himself. He rose and pulled on clothes, hurriedly strapping various weapons to himself. "I want a full guard. We'll need conformation she is the real Queen. Get that idiot Sanosuke up."

"Yes my lord," Hannya said and ushered the page boy out.

Kenshin was sitting in the throne room very unamused. What sort of Queen showed up at midnight with nothing but two bodyguards? She didn't even have a horse. Was he to believe she walked here? After sending a message not less than a week ago?

The woman was still wearing her cloak and stood in the middle of the throne room. Both bodyguards were at ease, but their hands were on their weapons. Kenshin had his own sword. Two bodyguards would not stop him if he needed to take her head off.

Aoshi arrived, coming in from the far side. He looked as unamused at Kenshin. Then again, he never looked amused so it was difficult to discern his thoughts. Lastly Sano came stumbling in, somewhat drunk.

"Whuzz all the fuss?" he asked. "Why's it so dark?"

Kaoru grinned from under her cloak. Sano never changed.

"If I may?" she asked and lifted her hand. All the lights suddenly flared to life. All three men visibly jumped.

"Sorceress," Aoshi said, placing himself in front of Kenshin. Not that the prince needed it, but Aoshi had a thing against mages. Kaoru pulled back her hood with a smile.

"Yes, but the King already knew that. Is he hiding in the shadows again?"

"King Hiko is not here," Kenshin said darkly. Kaoru's eyes widened.

"Did he not get my message?"

"Perhaps. Just who are you?"

"Who are you?" she asked, her chin lifting just a bit. He stepped down from the throne, a hand on Aoshi's shoulder pushing him aside. His hair was just as red as it had once been. He was a little taller, but just as thin as she remembered. Those arms still had muscle in them though. However…his eyes. They were amber. She did not remember amber eyes.

"I am the current ruler of this country and the only one allowed to demand answers." The tension tightened. She was just as tall as him and just as stubborn. Kenshin did not put up with annoying women.

"Oh for chrissake. Kenshin, you're blind. It's just Jou-chan," Sano said, stumbling over. He pushed a bodyguard out of the way and flung an arm over her shoulder.

"You're drunk," she said, wrinkling her nose. "Sano, do you ever not get drunk?"

"Nah, not half as much fun. Sorry Kenshin's a spoil sport. He needs his three hours of sleep."

"Technically I wasn't supposed to wake him," she said. "Sano, get your arm off me before I declare war on you."

"Aww, you wouldn't do that, would you?"

"No, but I might send my General of Arms after you to kick your ass."

"Not the weasel girl! I concede!" He pulled his arm off but swayed. Kaoru sighed and put a hand on his back to steady him.

"You are a disgrace to other royal families," she teased.

"Gotta, <hiccup>, have a black sheep somewhere."

"Lord Aoshi, please see Queen Kamiya is escorted to her chambers," Kenshin said. He turned on his heel and left.

"Who the hell was that and why is he so rude?" Kaoru asked.

"Him? Oh he's just some diplomat who thinks he knows everything."

"I think you lie, Sano. Out with it or I'll send Megumi the love letters you sent my lady in waiting five years ago."

"You are a heartless woman."

"And you are a hopeless womanizer."

"That was Prince Himura," Lord Aoshi said. "I think your arrival was a bit of a shock."

"Really? What a change. If I'd known I was to meet him upon arrival I would have told him. King Hiko should have known exactly how I was to arrive."

"There's this thing about the King, Jou-chan. He doesn't always tell everyone else what he knows," Sano said, face slightly sad. "But hey, no worries. Kenshin'll still sign the treaty."

"What? I don't need his signature. I need King Hiko's."

"That could be a problem," Aoshi said. "Why don't I show you your rooms, your majesty?"

"Thank you. I guess I'll handle it in the morning. Good night gentlemen."