Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Alliance ❯ Forgotten? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5

Misao looked up at the castle before her as she rode through the town. The horse under her was exhausted as was she, but she could not stop until she gave her news to Kaoru. Someone from the Empire was out to kill her and they were serious.

A woman riding through the streets armed to the teeth was not very common so normally people stared a little. The fact she was also covered in blood probably didn't help. The guards certainly noticed her.

"High General of Queen Kamiya," Misao said, showing her documentation and seal and sword. The guard looked doubtful. Not surprising. She was a mess and even on a good day she looked not a day over twelve.

"Go get Lord Aoshi," the guard told the other one. "I'm sorry, my lady. You'll have to wait until the Lord of Queen Kamiya's security says you can enter."

"Lord of her security? I'm her damn second in command! No asshole is going to tell me I can see my own Queen! Get your fucking hands off my bridle! I've been riding for days. I haven't slept the last three. I've forgotten the last time I ate. There are men after my Queen and you want me to wait for your head of security!? Who the hell do you think you are?"

The guard was visibly shaken. Misao may be little, but she was fierce. Grabbing him by the shirt she pulled him halfway off the ground. Surprisingly strong for a woman who looked twelve.

"Put him down," a voice called out. Misao looked up. A very tall dark and handsome lord was making his way toward the gate, not looking too happy. Misao had never been tongue tied in her life but she was now. Her jaw visibly dropped.

"You must be the infamous Lady Misao. Gentlemen, you can let the lady through." The guard released the horse's bridle and Aoshi led it in.

"I apologize. We tightened security after the assassination attempt."

"Assassination attempt?" Misao asked, brought out of her shock. "Where's Kaoru, is she ok? Who was it? Are they dead now? Can I kill them?" She hurled herself out of the saddle which was not the best of ideas. The ground was not too steady. Strong arms caught her. Ice blue eyes looked down into hers.

"Queen Kamiya is fine. You are not."

"Nonsense. Never felt….better," she said as her eyes rolled into the back of her head.

"Why do Edo women always feint when they are hurt?" Aoshi asked himself, picking her up and carrying her inside. Stable boys rushed to take care of the exhausted horse.

Kaoru went running down the halls, as fast as her skirts would let her. Servants flattened themselves against the wall as she went flying by, a quick apology on her lips for each one.

The doors to the guest room were flung open and Kaoru came rushing in. Lord Aoshi, his servant Hannya, Sanosuke and Prince Himura were all standing around the bed as Megumi was pulling things out of that mysterious black bag of hers.

"Fire lacerations, several broken ribs, a fractured arm, twisted ankle, slight concussion…is there any part of her body not harmed?"

"My sword arm is still intact and if you aren't nicer with your poking you'll find out how fast your head can fall off your neck," came Misao's reply. Megumi was not amused and continued examining without comment.

"Misao, what happened?" Kaoru asked, stepping forward.

"Kaoru!" the girl said and made to jump off the bed. Injured or not Misao was trying to get up. Kaoru hastened to push her back down.

"I order you to stay put and not move until Lady Megumi is done with you!" Kaoru said, a dark gleam in her eyes.

"Geeze, I come all this way and no hug," Misao said with a sigh. Kaoru smiled.

"When it's safe to hug you I will. Even harder than Okina."

"Okina? Lord Okina?" Hannya asked.

"Yep, my mentor," Misao said. "Taught me everything I know, the old pervert."

"That sounds like Lord Okina," Hannya said with a laugh. "Who'd have thought it, my lord. This little lady had your old mentor."

"Aa," was Aoshi's reply.

"Well your mouth isn't injured. Why don't you explain why you look like a battle field?" Megumi asked.

"Obviously you've never seen a real battlefield," Misao said, losing all the mirth in her voice.

"There were a hundred and fifty of us. Seventy five on horse, the rest on foot. Lady Hitomi was acting as Queen Kamiya. If you put her hair down and sit her in a palatine they could pass as twins. A mudslide took out the main road so we had to go around on one of the goat paths, one by one, through the mountain pass. It was asking for an ambush, but what other choice did we have? The other pass was three days south and it was already snowing. They came from above and below. Half men, half beasts….and god knows what else. It was a slaughter. They were so horrid the horses were frightened and bolted. It was like they were immortal. I saw one take seven arrows to the chest and still eat a man's throat out."

"Lady Hitomi? The other women?" Kaoru asked.

"They raped her….they made us all watch as they did it too," Misao said quietly. "She didn't scream once so they cut her throat. Then they started with the rest of the women." Everyone was silent. Tears fell down Kaoru's cheeks. She had condemned those women to their fate. All those men. It was her fault.

"And you escaped how?" Aoshi asked. His tone was not malicious but everyone did look back at her in curiosity.

"Four men dragged me away from the rest and made the mistake of untying me. I grabbed the first horse I could find and have been riding ever since."

"You managed to get away?" Aoshi asked.

"I did not make it to High General of Edo's army by just being the Queen's cousin!" she snapped.

"I meant no offense, my lady," he said gently. Kenshin looked at him with a bit of surprise. Aoshi never apologized and certainly never took a gentle tone.

"Oh Misao, I'm so sorry," Kaoru said, tears falling down her face. "I failed them….gods, Hitomi!"

"Kaoru. We willingly give our lives to you. Hitomi knew when she accepted the position as your decoy that it was dangerous. She never once denounced you or Edo. You cannot blame yourself for every man or woman who falls in their station," Misao said. Then Megumi pulled a stitch too tight. "Dammit fox-bitch, watch it!" Megumi's back stiffened but she said nothing.

"Fox-bitch," Sano repeated with a bit of a snicker. That got him a glare.

"I think we should let Lady Misao rest," Kenshin said lightly. He had to pick Kaoru up as she was crying too hard.

"How do you do it?" Kaoru asked Kenshin as he walked back to her room.

"Do what?"

"Send men and women to their deaths for the good of a country…for your own safety?"

"By remembering I also give my life to them," he replied.

"But is it enough? One life for so many?"

"They seem to think so. Otherwise they would not give theirs so freely." He set her down outside her door and gently wiped the tear from her cheek.

"Thank you," she said quietly and looked up with a weary smile. "Sorry I'm such a bad guest."

"Being Queen is not easy. It never will be." He gave her a reassuring smile. "Just remember who you do it for and it makes the hardest times easier."

Kaoru gasped. He quickly looked around but no one was around. Her hand came up to his face. Kenshin almost flinched from the contact of her hand on his cross shaped scar.

"Your eyes," she said. "They're purple again." He blinked in surprise. That's what got her all flustered. His eyes changed color?

"They do that occasionally. Get some rest," he said, turning away.

"Wait. Why do you always shut yourself off when I remind you of anything from your childhood?"

"When did you know me in my childhood?" he asked, turning. His eyes were amber again, slightly angry.

"You forgot," she stated, clearly annoyed. Uh oh. Women only said that when it was something you were supposed to remember. When it was something they considered important.

"Forgot what?" he asked. Now she was angry. Kaoru turned around and opened her door, closing it in his face. She was mad about something. Kenshin did not like doors closed in his face. He slowly counted to ten and opened it, walking in.

"You and Sano may be able to remember every single person who has been in and out of your life, but I cannot. I'm sorry I don't remember you. Obviously you remember me from a long time ago."

"I'm not surprised. After all we only met once for a few minutes. I don't think I even talked to you," she said haughtily and began organizing some papers by her bed. Obviously she was not fine with it though. She would not even look at him and her lips were in a thin line. Women! Kenshin went over and grabbed her by the shoulders, turning her to face him.

"Why can't you just tell me?" he asked gently, hoping he wasn't breaking any treaties holding her forcefully. Kaoru look up at him, startled. How could she tell him something as silly as a first kiss? A feint blush crossed her cheeks.

"Yo, Kenshin," Sano said, interrupting. "The council needs you in the next few minutes."

"Coming…" he said with a sigh. Kaoru was not answering. She was looking down at her feet. Not sure what else to do he just left.

<Misao's bedroom>

"And then she just looked at her feet?" Misao asked. Aoshi nodded. She was propped up by a dozen pillows and enjoying the five course meal Aoshi brought her. He was sitting in a chair next to her bed, clearing plates when she was done. "Haha, idiot."

"The idiot is banging his head against a wall trying to remember."

"She's just mad cause he forgot a girl's most important moment."

"Most important moment?"

"When Kaoru was ten she and her father came here to get that silly treaty signed. She went in the garden to play. Sano, being his usual womanizing self, had gotten them all to play blind man's bluff. Prince Himura caught Kaoru." Aoshi's eyebrow went up.

"And?"

"It was her first kiss. It was also the first time Kaoru did not beat up a guy who touched her. My uncle was in shock."

"No wonder she would not tell him. I shall inform him of his overlook," Aoshi said.

"Thanks for keeping me company. I know Kaoru is probably keeping her distance until that fox woman tells her it's ok to visit me. Honestly, I won't break if I hug her!"

"Hannya will be right outside your door if you need anything."

"Can he play chess?" Aoshi almost smiled. Almost.

"Not well.

"Poo. I'm bored sitting in bed."

"I'll bring you a book."

"Oh, don't you all have the Chronicles of Okita Souji?"

"I'll have them sent up."

"Yeah! I always wanted to read those and never had the time."

<Later that day outside Misao's bedroom>

Kenshin felt like an idiot. Kaoru was mad at him cause he gave her a kiss when she was ten and he promptly forgot. Now he remembered. He especially remembered the jasmine smell. Now he remembered why Tomoe was so mad when he gave her jasmine perfume as a present once. She hated jasmine. He hadn't been thinking of Tomoe.

Queen Kamiya. She was amazing. Beautiful, smart, brave…and kind hearted. Exactly the kind of woman he should have married. The sort of woman Tomoe was supposed to have been. Gods, how long had it been since his eyes were purple? Eleven years?

"Misao, how do you get messages to King Hiko?" he heard Kaoru ask her High General.

"There's always this strange hawk. When you need to send a message to the King he just shows up like he knows."

"Thanks. Get some rest. I'll play chess with you after dinner."

"Mou, Kaoru, I always beat you. Bring cards or something. Hell, send Sano! I can make a profit off of him." Kaoru laughed.

"Ok, but get some rest. God, thirteen books. How you can read thirteen books on one man is amazing."