Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Dead Smile ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]
Her body lies there, perfectly still, in the snow.

Her blood, a bright red, blends into the soft white blanket, meandering through it. The blood, beginning to harden, gradually ceases to flow from the wound in her chest. The growth of the dark red stain on the fabric of her kimono eases to a stop.

Her entire being looks so beautiful in that outfit, even in death. She is possibly yet more beautiful now, for her eternal peace has softened her limp flesh.

I hold her hand, stiff and cold to the touch. Her arm bends slightly as I carefully lift it to my face. I warm it by brushing it ever so lightly against my moist cheek. As gently as I lifted it, I set it back down, folded across her punctured heart.

Her raven black hair remains in place, just as always. Her eyes are slightly open, offering me a chilling gaze into the lifeless eyeballs. I set them to join her body in rest with my thumb. Her lips, though slowly freezing to a frail shade of purple, remain curved in a delicate smile, as if she were happy to receive this early death.

I kneel down next to her, gazing at her pale face, then descend upon it. I kiss the dead lips, and when I look at them again, I swear her smile has widened.