Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Life the Saitoh Fujita Way ❯ Tales in Tonami - The Beginning ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The standard disclaimers apply. The original ideas are mine.
 
 
After the Boshin War Saitoh Hajime and Takagi Tokio are exiled to Tonami, along with many other former residents of Aizu. Both of them live in the household of Kurasawa Heijeimon. The Tales in Tonami chapters explore some of the encounters between Hajime and Tokio while they both lived at the Kurasawa's.
 
Tokio first learns that Saitoh Hajime will be joining the Kurasawa household.
 
 
Tales in Tonami - The Beginning
 
 
“Tokio-san?”
 
 
“Yes, what is it, Kurasawa-san?”
 
 
“A new resident will be arriving in a few days. He may be someone you know. I understand he fought outside Aizu castle during the war.”
 
 
“Oh?” I respond with interest in my voice. There were many people who fought there during the Boshin War, far too many for me to know each one of them, but I suppose it would be possible.
 
 
“He was the commander of the Shinsengumi troops stationed there,” I tell the girl. Certainly he was well known by everyone who was there at the time.
 
 
My breath catches in my throat. That can only be Saitoh-san. “Ah.” I respond, my voice noncommittal and void of emotion.
 
 
“There was some business concerning him, between my husband, Heijeimon, and Matsudaira Katamori. I don't know what it was, but the result is that Saitoh Hajime will be living here at least temporarily.”
 
 
Another mouth to feed, and another person to contribute dirty laundry to the wash, I think as I narrow my eyes. He and I did not always have the most….the most amiable encounters. It started out pleasantly enough, but went it downhill a bit after that training incident.
 
 
Even though I know who he is, I won't reveal that to Kurasawa-san, at least not yet. He was assigned to help train the Joushitai before the fighting in Aizu started. Such an arrogant man, arrogant and interesting, I have to admit to myself.
 
 
I never thought that I would see him again. The surviving Shinsengumi members were taken away, and we never saw them after we were defeated. I always wondered what happened to him.