Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ May The Sun Shine Forever ❯ Kyoto Graves; The Song Goes On ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.:*May The Sun Shine Forever*:.

*Author's Note: Be warned! Butterflies, past wives, and music boxes are EVIL. You'll never look at a butterfly the same again. BWA -HAHAHA! (or in Naraku's case, kukukuku!) Actually, you won't find out more about the butterflies until later. HAHA! Keeps ya waiting, don't it?*

Chapter Four

"So he'll be back on the 15th."

"Yes."

Yahiko had shown Kaoru the note. Kaoru looked out the window. The 15th. That would be her birthday. A flutter of wings caught her attention.

"Hmm?"

Leaning out the window, Kaoru found herself looking at a butterfly. There were so many these days. She really should plant a butterfly garden. Big and colorful, with large splashes of bright hues and flowers that screamed loudly for attention. Some pale flowers too. Maybe white blossoms. The ones Kenshin seemed to like so much. What were they called again? Oh, yes; white plum trees.

Yahiko lay on his bed, searching the ceiling for answers. He hadn't told her about the music box. He had run heads over heels from that room, but he hadn't screamed or yelled, so no one else knew. But it wasn't going to stay that way. The jeweled box would soon gain another member for its audience soon.

Sano yawned. Where, oh where, has Kaoru hid the sake? With a sneer, he remembered the drawer where she kept her ceremonial items. Sake wasn't ceremonial to him; it was drank when depressed, drank to remember the last time one was depressed, and drank to think of the next time one will be depressed. As he walked quickly to the room with the cabinet, he stopped and cocked his head to the side.

May the sun shine forever,

May time cease and unravel.

May you always be loved,

May you never be mine.

Following the soft, almost dreamy tune, Sano headed into a different corridor. The sound was coming from Yahiko's room. That doesn't seem like Yahiko to listen to that junk, thought Sano. Curiously, he peeked around the wall and saw Yahiko. Yahiko was bunched up in a corner with his knees brought up to his face and his hands over his ears. Sensing someone else come in, he looked up and saw Sano. Sano almost jumped back in surprise. Yahiko's eyes were dull, and scared, with the feeling and color of an animal that has been chased down and caught.

"Is it still there," he croaked.

"Is… what?"

"The music box," he screeched, half mad. "The music box! Shut it off!"

Sano bewilderly spun around and saw it. The golden box. Walking towards it cautiously, he reached out for it, but then froze. Literally. He couldn't move!

What the hell?! He could only blink and move his eyes. To his horror, he saw a pale hand reach down and caress the box. He couldn't move his head, so he didn't see the owner of the hand. Hearing the whimper of fear behind him, he guessed wildly that Yahiko had been frozen too.

You're mine now…….all...mine…

And then it was gone. The hand, the voice, and the box. The room spun around him, and then he heard scream. He fell to the floor in a collapse, dizzy with fear.

The marble slate shone in the sun. It had grown gray over the years, but it still stood, and eternal guardian over it's contents. The headstone bore no name, and no date. Just a quote.

"May the Sun Shine Forever"

Kenshin stooped down on one knee, and with his hand, ran his fingers over the grave. That's strange, he thought. Didn't there use to be a name on here…

"Funny, aren't you?"

Kenshin froze. He knew that voice…

"You come to visit a grave, and yet you bring no flowers. Gravestones may be grave, but why keep them that way? Flowers are always nice."

Kenshin turned, and looked into the eyes of…

*Ooo….. eyes of who? o.O Even I don't know.. I won't write anymore for a while. Please give me suggestions on who! I'm not going to write, or post anymore until I get at least three reviews. R&R!*