Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ May The Sun Shine Forever ❯ A Disappearence ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

.:*May The Sun Shine Forever*:.

*Author's Note: Have lost all sense. *weepweep* All I want to do is write my Inu -Yasha fanfic, but I know I'll just stop writing this one then. *weepweep* Now what? For school, I have to write a sequel to a book we read in L. A., but I haven't even started it yet. And it's due on Monday. *guilty prod* Okay, okay, so maybe I should've typed it earlier…*guiltyguilty* So I must type that and this now! -_-^ *sweat drop* Oh well…. As you've noticed, I'm nearing Step 3, Denial. *weep weep* Everyone writes better then me! *weep weep* and everyone else just really hates me. *weep weep* Ack, I'll never be able to write my story now…Be prepared for a very depressing chapter.*

Chapter Eight

"Well, that covers the rest of it! Let's go shopping!"

With a push of his chair, Kenshin stood up and followed suit as Soujiro walked to the door.

"Oof-"

Bufo scrambled onto the wooden floor, yelping frantically as his sharp nails met with the slippery surface. As he crazily slid down the floor, paws outstretched for an area to grip, he collided into Kenshin, knocking him down. Jumping onto the man's chest, Bufo barked loudly into the man's ear.

"WOOFWOOFARFARFWOOFBARKWOOFARROOOOOO!!!"

Sighing, Kenshin grimaced as drool dribbled down onto his face. If I'm going to stay here for a while, I better start getting used to this.

"Oooh!"

Kari jumped up and down on the balls of her feet.

"Lookie this, lookie this!"

Racing Bufo from stand to stand, she giggled and laughed as she examined all the items that were for sale at every booth. Most of the shopkeepers were trying to think of the best way to tell her to leave, but swallowed their thoughts as Bufo hulked by, growling under his breath.

Kenshin politely tried to decline all the various offers of bargains being called out to him.

"Sir, you look tired! Why not stay a night at one of this town's finest hotels!"

"Only two -fifty a pound! I'll make it one, cummon, whaddya say?"

"Tofu, rice and sesame rolls, only one -fifty!"

Kenshin sweatdropped. "Er, I…really…don't…"

Soujiro watched as masses of shopkeepers started to drift away from the confused swordsman.

"Never mind, he's not going to buy anything…"

"Just look at him, he's just a rurouni…"

"Don't even try to get anything out of him. He's dirt poor…"

"Oro?"

Soujiro made his purchases quickly and was paying for his goods when out of the corner of his eye, he saw Kari wander off into a small pub, wedged between two other stores. Shouldering his pack, he followed her without a word to the battousai. *Author's Note: ARRGH! Every time I write battousai, the stupid frickin computer changes it to boathouse!! ARGH*

Kenshin, however, saw his host leaving. Forcing his way past the massive crowd of afternoon shoppers, he ran after Soujiro, hand drifting down to his sword. Another crowd of people teemed through the streets, blocking his view for a second.

Poor Kenshin, still lost, aren't you?

That voice…! Kenshin stopped, and stumbled. "Get out of my head," he muttered. "Get..out.."

The voice chuckled. Now, now. I know it's been a while, but still, on can't go from love to hate that quickly, can he? I've been visiting you, remember? In you dreams…

Kenshin knew he had to keep walking, had to find Soujiro.

Avoiding me now, aren't you? Were you planning on saving that girl, hmm? That girl, so precious to your little friend?

Girl…girl… Kenshin couldn't concentrate; the voice was laughing at him. Taunting him. His hands left his sword and clenched into fists. Girl… girl…Kari!

He found him later. Soujiro. He was outside the pub, The Jouster, sitting on the ground. "Someone took her," he whispered, eyes round and pleading. "They took her, they took her…"

Soujiro stared at the ground. Kenshin followed his gaze, and saw a butterfly, wings bent over, hobbling around on the dirt path. Under the butterfly was a piece of paper, yellowed with dust. Picking up the slip of paper carefully, Kenshin slid the butterfly off. As soon as he did that, it died. And before their very eyes, it folded itself and melted away into dust.

Soujiro shivered. "B…bbutter…fly…"

The note read as follows:

Kenshin, I know you're in Kyoto, but have I seen you anywhere near our home? No! Where are you? I expect you to be home in half a day! No buts! See you soon (hopefully!)!

Tomoe

P.S. Picked up our Christmas shopping today, no need to worry about it! And I found the most darling little girl along the way. No family, no home, not even a pair of shoes to call her own! I've decided to keep her along for a while. You'll love her, she's just adorable!

Kenshin's hand trembled, and too, stared down at the ground. Soujiro picked up the letter, read it, and then reread it. When he spoke again, his voice was dead and hollow.

"She's gone, Himura. All that's left…"

He looked up at Kenshin

"All that's left…are her shoes.."

And so they were. Forlorn and small, but still neatly arranged, as though still waiting for their owner to come by.

"Wait, there's more…"

P.P.S. Sorry, sorry, for the extra notes, but I have to ask: do you still own that darling little music box I gave you? You know, the one that can open with the locket? Please bring it with you if you still have it! I'm forever wearing the locket and I do want to try and open it again. Remember how we would try and try, but it would never open? See you soon!

*Author's Note: O.o Now what should I do? Someone PLEASE help me! I promise to post your name up on the next chappie if you guys review now. Thankies! Finished watching Evangelion, but only got to see the first ending. I want End of Evangelion! *pouts* Oh wells. Must go play Kingdom hearts now. Stuck in Agrabah with this really annoying boss, the Cave of Wonders guardian. Any tips? Have a good New Year!*