Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories in Kyoto ❯ Fever ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Inochi Ryuken:…OHOHO!!! I THINK YOU ALL WILL LIKE THIS CHAPTER!!! ^_^

 

Kenshin:…I don't like the sound of that…

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Fever

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Kenshin stood morosely, his movements sluggish. Seijuro sat very still only breathing lightly. He felt a disturbing aura that filled the room. It gave him chills that he had not felt since the revolution and that was so long ago. He kept his breath quiet and his body stiff. He dared not call Kenshin's name again. The only thing that he could think to do was look at the tatami mat that Kenshin stood upon.

There was a footstep. And another.

Cautiously, Seijuro lifted his head, seeing Kenshin's back to him. Where was he…?

Kenshin walked out without a word.

His master watched him go, his eyes following the path of blood that dripped to the floor. He let out a heavy sigh of relief. What was that all about? Recalling the deep emptiness in Kenshin's face, a chill ran up his spine. He rubbed the back of his head uncomfortably. That was one thing he didn't want to experience again. However… Seijuro rose to his feet, silently watching the blood soak into the tatami mats.

"What is going on with you, Baka Deshi?"

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tomoe…

Kenshin struggled to move his legs. Is that how she died? She died so peacefully…

His heart grew heavy with old memories. Her smile…Their time together…in that little cabin the mountains…

Hot blood trickled down his throat. The smell made him sick to his stomach but not of its physical scent. It was of…familiarity.

There was snow. Yes…snow. It was winter. Winter was beautiful. The mountains would shine a sparkling white. It was so peaceful yet it was very cold. He remembered that he was freezing so…he lit a fire. Yes, that was it, a fire in their little cabin. It was so warm. A blanket was wrapped around him but his body still shivered. He felt a form shift about him. His body grew warmer with comfort. It wasn't the fire… Arms wrapped around his waist in a tight embrace. It was so warm…

"Tomoe…" he heard himself say. "Will you stay with me?"

He faltered. Those snowy mountains disappeared, the cabin drifted into darkness, the fire died down, her face faded into nothingness. Kenshin went with his memories, dropping into depths of unconscious, his scar still bleeding freely.

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

"Where's Kenshin?" Kaoru inquired. Sano watched her carefully. She was worried, obviously.

"He's with the old man," he replied, trying not to sound concerned. They sat on the porch, looking out to the garden. Sano sipped the sake that Okon and Omasu had left for him. "Why? What happened?"

"Nothing…just..." she began. "Sano…" He stopped to look at her. She looked so pained… "Kenshin…I'm worried…He hasn't been himself lately. I think that…coming back to Kyoto was too soon…"

"Naw…Kenshin's fine!" Sano lied happily. "Maybe seeing a long lost relative shocked him or something…" He shrugged and took another sip of sake. "You never know right?"

"You think Rae is a relative?" she asked, curiosity rising in her.

Sano gave her a suspicious glance. "Sure… I guess. The circumstances are a little too weird to be coincidental. It's good that Kenshin's found a living relative," he said, looking up, smirking. "I bet Kami-sama planned this, didn't you, ya crazy old bast---?"

"Sano!" Kaoru gave him a smack on the head, spilling the sake that he had in his mouth and cup. Discarding his way of addressing Kami, she stared at the birds that pecked the ground in search of food. "I don't know if Rae is a relative or not but I hope that---"

There was a thud.

Sano set down his sake cup. "What was that?"

A soft moan reached his ears.

Kaoru put her hands to her chest. "Sano... What is it?"

"Let's find out…"

He stood, Kaoru close behind him, and quietly rounded the corner of the porch. Sano froze. Kaoru bumped into his back, bewildered. "Sano?" She walked around him. "What is---" Her eyes widened. "Kenshin!"

Immediately, she knelt beside him, supporting his head with her lap. "KENSHIN!!! WHAT HAPPENED?!! WAKE UP!! KENSHIN!!!" She shook him vigorously. "SANO…HE'S BLEEDING!!!"

"I'll get Misao and the others," Sano told her, running off into the inn.

Kaoru didn't see him go, only tearing the hem of her kimono to use as a cloth to stop the bleeding. She pressed it against his cheek. He winced slightly, his face flushed. She felt his forehead. "Oh god…you have a fever…" She propped herself up to support him better. She wanted so much to go get some water to cool him down but dared not to leave him there. The only thing she could do was wait. She began to think. How did Kenshin get sick? Now that she thought about it, it was getting colder…

Her heart grew sick with worry. If he was sick, he didn't show it. Kenshin was always like that. He never told her anything because it made her worry. The baka…

"Tomoe…"

She was pulled out of her thoughts. Her eyes narrowed. Tomoe…? "Kenshin?"

Kenshin let out a deep moan, opening his eyes slightly. They were so bland and dark. It was as if he now resided in a world that was far from reality. Those eyes frightened her. She hated the way they stared at her now.

"Tomoe…you're beautiful…" Kenshin extended a hand, touching Kaoru's cheek. "Too beautiful…"

He sat up, still watching her with his delusional gaze. His hand caressed her face, softly. Kaoru's eyes widened. "Kenshin… It's me! Kaoru! Listen!" She shook him. "You have a fever and you're not---"

Kenshin leaned forward, silencing her with a kiss.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Inochi Ryuken: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! CLIFFIE!!!!!

 

Kenshin:…*still reading the last sentence* …ORO?!!

 

Inochi Ryuken: ^^ HERE'S A SHOUT-OUT TO A VERY HYPER REVIEWER!! KEYIOTOU!!! WHEEE YOU'VE MADE ME HYPER!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!

 

Soujiro:…GOOD GOING KEYIOTOU!!! I BLAME YOU NOW!!!

 

Inochi Ryuken: ^^ Chapter 14 will be up soooooon… TUNE IN!!!