Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ My Immortal ❯ Chapter 1 ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Immortal by: Sakura

A/N My Immortal, Evanescence. Here's another RK song fic.

~*~*~*~*~

She was dying. The woman I had just asked to marry me was lying in my lap...dying. Tomoe had been asked to be my sheath, and so she protected me. I had killed her with my own blade! She reached up to me, and with her dagger, completed the cross-shape scar on my left cheek. Then she fell limp in my arms...

I opened my eyes, taking a look around the room. It had been a dream...no, a suppressed memory; I was still at the Kamiya dojo. It would be morning in a few hours, so I figured I'd get started on my chores. I pulled up my kimono sleeves and headed outside.

I'm so tired of being here
suppressed by all of my childish fears
and if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
because your presence still lingers here
and it won't leave me alone

I grabbed a bucket and strode over to the well to get some water. As I reached down for water, I saw my reflection, and realized the horizontal part of my scar was bleeding. Then I remembered what I had been told roughly ten years ago:

"They say that when a wound refuses to heal, that, even from the depths of hell, the one who gave it to you is seeking revenge."

Then I had been told that only old women believed in such things.

These wounds won't seem to heal
this pain is just too real
there's just too much that time cannot erase

Morning finally came, and everyone was groggily walking about the dojo. Since I had started my chores early, all that I had left to do was finish hanging the laundry. My wound had stopped bleeding for the time being. I don't know why it had started bleeding in the first place- could it really be that Tomoe was haunting me? No. No, that was ridiculous.

I tensed as someone put their hand on my shoulder. I turned and was facing Kaoru. Her smiling face soon turned into one of surprise. I didn't know what awed her, but then she answered my question.

"You're bleeding." She reached out to touch my face, but I blocked her, putting my own hand to my cheek. It was true, the scar was bleeding again. I wiped my bloodstained hand on my pants, and walked away. As I walked, I grabbed a clean piece of laundry, and put it over my scar, adding pressure to stop the blood flow.

If only I could go back to that day and prevent any of that from happening. Sometimes I wish I had never met Tomoe; if I hadn't, then she'd more than likely still be alive. And Miss Kaoru. Would I have still met her if I had married Tomoe?

I shook my head. If I truly had married Tomoe, then we would still be living in Kyoto. There would have been no reason for us to travel all the way to Tokyo.


When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
when you'd scream I
'd fight away all of your fears
and
I've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me

After rudely walking away from Miss Kaoru, I went into town to clear my head. I hadn't meant to act so coldly towards Miss Kaoru, but when she tried to touch me... I guess I closed off contact from anyone. It was very strange, that it was. After having that dream I've been acting not so like myself. I've had those dreams before, but this time...

While I was in town I decided to do some shopping to repay my rudeness to Miss Kaoru. Hopefully she wouldn't be upset with me. We needed some tofu and other foods, so with the small amount of money I had, I bought some of what we needed.

I happened to run into Dr. Genzai and his two granddaughters. Ayame and Suzume were quite happy to see me, so I told Dr. Genzai that I would take them back to the dojo to accompany me.

On our long walk back, we stopped by the river, and started to fish. I didn't have a rod, so Ayame and Suzume got me two sticks to tie together- we didn't catch anything though. Tomoe and I used to eat fish...

You used to captivate me
by your resonating light
but now I'm bound by the life you left behind
your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

Another dream, another nightmare. Another day from the past.

I was back in the dojo, but I had no idea how I got in my room. I remembered taking Ayame and Suzume fishing, and when we came back empty-handed, I took them back to Dr. Genzai's instead of bringing them to the dojo. Then I had come back here, exhausted. That was all I could remember. I had woken up from another bad dream. But this time, the dream wasn't the same. Miss Kaoru was in this dream along with Tomoe. They both died this time...It made me sick that I would dream such a terrible thing. Bad enough, I had lived through Tomoe's death, but now Miss Kaoru? Then something just snapped inside of me.

I leaned forward, letting hot tears run down my cheeks, and onto the floor. I was sobbing. I heard padded feet walking towards me, but it didn't matter, I just wanted to sit here and cry. A hand was gently placed my shoulder, so I figure it was Miss Kaoru that had entered the room.

The next thing I knew, I had my face buried in Miss Kaoru's lap. As I lied there crying, she ran her fingers through my slovenly hair. It felt good to be with someone during all of this.

These wounds won't seem to heal
this pain is just too real
there's just too much that time cannot erase

I don't know how long I had been like that, but it had worn me out completely. As I was closing my eyes, Miss Kaoru brushed a remaining tear from my cheek. When she removed her hand, I grabbed it, and held it close to my heart.


When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
when you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
and I've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me

Though I couldn't be with Tomoe anymore, there was still Miss Kaoru; something about her. Every time I needed something, she was there. When I was off `sword playing', she was there. If I needed her, she was there. But I still missed Tomoe...

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
but
though you're still with me
I've been alone all along

After I married Kenshin, we had a child together, but then Kenshin had become a wander again. But today, was going to be the day he came back to me. I had caught the same disease that plagued Kenshin, but still I wanted to see him so much.

I saw him staggering towards me, on that long dirt road, so I ran up to him. He looked happy to see me, but I could see under the mask- he was dying.

I sat down in the soft grass, Kenshin's head in my lap. I looked down, and realized Kenshin wasn't breathing; I wasn't surprised. Tears rolled down my face. Kenshin -no, Shinta had finally died. It would be alright, so I would be joining him soon.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
when you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
and I've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me

~*~*~*~*~

A/N Okay that was too weird for me...The POV went from Kenshin to Kaoru, if anyone didn't catch that. Well, review it. I think that'll be my last song fic, because that was way too weird.