Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Soon ❯ Soon ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


Soon

By: Serenity-chan

"My love, it's time for me to go."

You're wrapping your arms so tightly around me. Oh, no sweetheart, don't cry. Please. You don't know how hard this is on me already. I'm not even gone yet and already my heart's breaking. You're laying your head on my shoulder. Don't do this, Midori. It would be less painful to die on the battlefield than to have my heart torn up by your tears.

"Don't worry about me."

You're crying. Please, I'm begging you not to. Every day I'll die a little, knowing that I had to make you cry. I can feel your tears soaking into my shirt. Midori, I told you not to cry for me. I'll love you forever, but I'm not worth your tears. Don't think about what happens to me. Think about taking care of our daughter. Toshio needs you to be strong right now. Tell her I love her and that she's in my heart. Tell her she's still Daddy's girl and that I'll be home soon.

I worry that if I kiss you goodbye, I won't be able to walk away from you. But I guess it's safe enough just to take you in my arms and let your tears fall on my chest. This love is becoming a double-edged sword, Midori. I leave to protect you, but I can't bring myself to be cold to you. I can't just leave, not without so much heartache. Especially knowing that I may never return.

"I'll come back. I always have."

Midori, I'm lying to you - or I could be, anyway. I don't know for sure what's going to happen. For all I know, I could be killed tomorrow. I'm scared, honey. So scared. The thought that in twenty-four hours I could be dying alone and in pain without you there to hold me is freezing my blood.

"Everything is going to be fine."

Oh, I can't stand it anymore! Before my rational mind can say anything, I've got one hand under your chin. I'm tilting your face up to mine. Gently, I'm bringing my other hand up to caress your face, brushing the crystalline drops away. I'm leaning down closer to you.

"Kiss me, my angel."

I'm watching you close your eyes, your lips already parted just a little. Your hand slides up to run through my hair. You know how that relaxes me, my sweet. I slip the hand I had under your chin around to the back of your neck. My other arm tightens reflexively around you, pressing your small, warm body against mine. You told me once that I was your strength. Well you, my rose, are my warmth.

"Kiss me how you want to be kissed."

And your lips rise to mine. You're holding me so tight. I love it when you hold me liike this. Oh my sweetheart, never let me go. My grip on you tightens, becoming desperate. Your mouth is so sweet. Every kiss is just like our first, sending warm sparks through my heart. My tongue seeks out yours, teasing you and tempting you. How long can you hold out? As I'm guiding your tongue to my mouth, I can hear your soft little moans. Your hand tightens in my hair. Softly, I'm closing my lips around your tender, sweet tongue and suckling gently.

I've never tasted anything so sweet. I could stay just like this forever. I love being in your arms and having you in mine as I continue to elicit soft sounds from you. Yes... That's it, baby. You're running your hand through my hair and making my nerves tingle. You're taking my breath away, my darling.

Far too soon, my endurance gives out. My chest is too tight from forcing myself not to cry and I need to breathe. I'm looking down at you and smiling, though I don't know how. I guess your kisses just do that to me. Your still-parted lips are full and pink, swollen from the hungry kisses of a desperate man. And those beautiful violet eyes can melt my heart when they fall half-closed like that. Don't give me that look, baby. You know it gets me every time. I can't resist. I'll content myself with nibbling your lower lip affectionately. I'm letting out a soft, disappointed groan as you're loosening your grip. I'm standing back and looking you in the eye.

"Soon, my love. I'll be home soon."

One more soft, tender kiss on your lips, a kiss on your cheek, and I turn away with a heavy heart. I feel horrible, knowing that this could be the last time I ever see you. My love, have faith in me. I'll do all I can to come home to home to you safely. And if I don't, I'll keep loving you from heaven.

It's taking all I've got not to turn around when you start to cry.