Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Most Nerve-Wracking Nine Months Of My Life ❯ The Moment Has Come ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Most Nerve-Wracking Nine Months of My Life

A Romantic Comedy by: Serenity-chan

POV = * *
Thoughts = ' '
Speaking = " " (Did I really need to say that?)

Chapter 4
(Or: The Moment Has Come)

*Midori*

Three months later, on March the second, I was trying to help Souzou with dinner. The key word there is definitely "trying". What I was actually doing was getting in the way while Nanaka tried to help. Well, she was spending more time trying to keep me OUT of the way. She swatted my hand yet again as I sneaked a carrot, then tried to distract me.

"So, Ri-chan, when are you due?" she asked. "I think you may have already told me, but just so I'll be sure..."

I sighed in exasperation and placed a hand on my belly, thinking I would never see my feet or a normal waistline again.

"It had better be soon," I said, acting irritated. "The sooner the better. Hell, I'd be perfectly happy if the baby came right now!"

A sickening wet 'splat' sounded right on the tail end of my last word. I looked around frantically, hoping that Souzou had spilled something or knocked something over. But I couldn't ignore the little streams of wetness trailing down my legs.

"Oh my GOD!" I shrieked. "I didn't mean literally, right this second!"

"What!?" yelled Souzou, dropping the bowl he was holding, not noticing it shattering on the floor. "What happened!?"

"Midori's water broke," Nanaka said, more calmly than I felt she should have. "That means the baby's coming."

"WHAT!?" roared Souzou, his voice louder than I had ever heard it.

"You're about to be a father, now calm down," Nanaka directed. "Go to the clinic and ask for Dr. Shimada's granddaughter. And for God's sake don't panic!"

Souzou's face was white, but he nodded mutely. He gave me a worried look before he turned and ran from the kitchen. A few seconds after I heard the front door slam shut, my knees went weak. I nearly collapsed right then. Nanaka pulled my arm over her shoulders and helped me to the spare bedroom. My heart was pounding, but I felt no fear.

"It's alright, Ri-chan," she assured me. "I promise, you're going to be fine. Both of you. I'm not so sure about Souzou..."

Somehow, I managed to laugh.

Then I had my first contraction.