Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Most Nerve-Wracking Nine Months Of My Life ❯ Daddy's Girl ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Most Nerve-Wracking Nine Months of My Life

A Romantic Comedy by: Serenity-chan

POV = * *
Thoughts = ' '
Speaking = " " (Did I really need to say that?)

Chapter 6
(Or: Daddy's Girl)

*Souzou*

It was as if time stopped right then. I froze where I was, my heart fluttering like a hummingbird gone mad. Every muscle in my entire body tensed. I don't think I even dared to breathe the entire time. It seemed like an eternity until Nanaka opened the shoji and told me I could come in.

Midori looked exhausted, but she was smiling. Her face was prettily flushed and her dark brown hair fanned out everywhere. She looked like an angel, though she was panting like she had been on the night this day was made possible by. Held protectively in her arms was a small bundle of soft white blankets. She looked up at me and her smile was practically glowing. I knelt down by her side and brushed a sweat-soaked strand of hair out of her face, kissing her forehead.

"Souzou, we have a daughter," she said softly, looking up at me, then looking down at the bundle of blankets affectionately. "Her name is Toshio."

My eyes widened as she carefully placed the small bundle in my arms. I looked down at my baby girl and felt tears welling up in my eyes. I was totally stunned, my whole body frozen. I had never seen a human being so small. She had been born with silky hair, shining and black as a raven's wing. I looked more closely at her little face and was shocked. It looked as if she was going to take after me! That is, until she opened her eyes.

When I saw that she had her mother's eyes, what little I had regained of my breath caught in my throat. Like amethysts, they were nearly identical to Midori's, just as beautiful. My tiny daughter stared up into my eyes. Though I knew she couldn't see me very well, I could have sworn she smiled at me. Carefully, I shifted her up closer to me, cradling her tiny body against my upper chest.

"You're Daddy's girl, aren't you?" I whispered, placing a feather-light kiss on my little girl's forehead and shifting her up onto my shoulder.

Her tiny hand tightened into a fist in my shirt and she made a soft little noise as she hid her face in the curve of my throat.

"Yes you are..."