Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ TIMELESS ❯ Battle of wits ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TIMELESS

Warning: Major OOCness

***CHAPTER 3***

The red-haired stranger watched Kaoru a second longer, his gaze curious and steady, before turning back to the four men.

Heat poured into Kaoru's cheeks, her breath caught in her throat. She gulped down a deep breath, fighting for calm. Get a hold on yourself, Kaoru. The man's a stranger, remember? Just a stranger.

Yet somehow not quite a stranger?

Something nagged at the back of Kaoru's mind. She couldn't help but wonder that she'd seen those strange, implacable eyes somewhere before.

He moved slowly toward the men. Impatient, he was now ready for the kill.

In some distant part of her mind, Kaoru found herself wondering how a young man could stand a chance against four large men.

The first man swore savagely. "I think that's Battousai."

At his words, there was a collective gasp from the others. Their frightened reaction caused a shiver along Kaoru's spine. Who must this stranger be, if even four large sword-wielding psychos trembled in fear of him?

The young man suddenly moved with god-like speed as Kaoru watched in amazement as two men fell, blood spurting from their bodies.

The stranger's eyes narrowed in fury as he growled, "Unless you let go of her right now, there won't be enough left of you to pleasure a woman ever again."

The man holding Kaoru gave a nervous laugh as he cried, "You wouldn't want to risk hurting an innocent girl, would you, Battousai?"

Kaoru's eyes widened as the stranger calmly leveled his sword. She could see, by the steely look in those amber eyes, that he had every intention of doing just that. She had no time to react as, with calm deliberation, he drives the steel blade to its hilt into the man's throat.

While she recoiled in horror, her last captor attempted to escape. Disgusted at his futile attempt, the stranger suddenly sliced the man into half.

"That will be the last one," Battousai murmured.

What does he mean by that? Kaoru thought, as she was rendered speechless and could do nothing more than stare at the young man who alone and without a single flicker of emotion, had calmly killed four large, vicious men. And she was now at his mercy.

She stood rooted to the spot, horribly mesmerized by the look on the stranger's face, like a small, weak animal caught in the gaze of a predator.

Everything about this stranger bespoke danger. He was small and rangy, with another sword slung low on his hips. His blue gi and white hakama were spluttered with blood. His hair, arranged in a high ponytail was the color of gilded flame. Amber eyes narrowed as he took in her off-the-shoulder dress, the wild spill of hair.

It was a face capable of much pride, Kaoru thought. A face capable of much stubbornness. It was also a face dark with secrets, secrets that would not be easily revealed to anyone.

There was a hardness to his features that had her throat going dry. If those four men had been afraid of him, she had even more reason to be.

His voice, when he spoke, was low and deep, his tone abrupt, as though he resented having to stay with her.

"Girl, what's your name?"

She swallowed and prayed her voice wouldn't betray her terror. "Kaoru…Kaoru Kamiya."

His eyes narrowed perceptibly. Where had he heard that name before? He studied the girl in front of him. She was half-undressed, with her hair tumbling around her shoulders and her eyes still wide with fear. And her voice. There was a breathless quality to it, unlike anything he'd heard before.

At that moment he felt a stunning need to sweep the fear from those wary azure eyes forever. To see those petal-soft lips curve up in joy and wonder.

Shocked by the force of these unfamiliar emotions, he could only stare at her pale face, fighting to understand this sudden and intense need to protect her.

"Are you badly hurt?"

"No," she said shaking her head.

At the first sight of her, Battousai's throat went dry. It wasn't often that he was privileged to see unblemished skin that had never been touched by the sun. He pulled his gaze upward past a pale, creamy throat to a face so beautiful it made his breath hitch. Thick masses of dark hair swirled around her face and shoulders. Her nose was small and tilted up as though in disdain. Her mouth was perfectly formed, with a full lower lip that for some strange reason made him think about the taste of sake on a sultry night.

And those eyes! Purest sea-blue, they were. They put him in mind of a beach at dawn.

His frown deepened. This girl whose cheeks flamed beneath his gaze was more tempting than any of the geishas could ever hope to be.

"Where are you headed?"

"I don't know. I'm not familiar with this place. I was hoping you could help me."

"Well, you're in Kyoto."

"Kyoto! But-but…how can that be?" Kaoru said to herself looking dazed. "What year?"

"1868, why?" Battousai asked suspiciously.

Kaoru slapped her forehead. "Holy shit!" she whispered. "It's probably my imagination," she mused, realizing that she was frightened and disoriented. Her brush with the samurais had upset her more than she cared to admit.

She made a conscious effort to regain her composure. "There's gotta be an explanation for this. It's probably all a dream, one very intense dream."

Somehow she had entered a world that would not hear of her for another one hundred seventeen years to be exact.

"Damn," she muttered. "This is definitely not my day….literally."

"Wait a minute. Hold on there. You aren't making any sense whatsoever. Are you sure you're right in the head?"

"How dare you say something like that to me!" Kaoru sputtered, her anger overriding her fear.

Battousai tilted his head to one side and stared at her. "Are you a whore?"

"Of course not!" Kaoru shrieked as she glared at him. "If that was a stupid joke, I can assure you, I'm not amused."

"I'm not laughing too hard, either," he snapped. "What do you expect me to think, when you're all dressed in that-that undergarment."

"This is not an undergarment, you moron! Maybe you should have your eyes examined. This happens to be a dress."

"Says who?"

"Says Gianni Versace."

"And who the hell is Versace?"

"A world-renowned designer."

"Well, it looks like an undergarment to me," he said, as he turned his back and started to walk away.

"Hey, you! Girly-boy. I demand an apology."

"Apology for what?" Battousai asked turning around.

"Well duh! You almost killed me."

He arched a brow in surprise.

"When you aimed that sword at the man holding me you didn't care whether or not the blade would hit me. What if you suddenly slipped and instead of that man's throat, it's my throat that got skewered. Hello! I don't want to die a virgin."

"Woman, if I'd wanted you dead, you'd be lying out there with the others."

Her jaw dropped and another burst of irrational anger surged through her. Why this arrogant jerk!

"Don't flatter yourself," she said sarcastically as she drew herself up to her full height and gave him the best ice princess look she could muster, considering her state of dishabille.

A faint smile touched the corner of his lips. She was feisty, he had to give her that. She was nothing like Tomoe, Battousai realized. She was nothing like any woman he'd ever known.

Or maybe she was…

A hint of memory pricked at his consciousness. A dim image of sad eyes in a pale and beautiful face.

He stiffened. Where had that image come from?

A dream?

Or was it something more?

Faint, so faint, the phantom images danced before him, teasing and elusive, finally fading away into nothingness. Smothering a curse, Battousai decided to start on his journey.

"Wait just a minute!" Kaoru cried out, running to catch up with him. "You can't leave me here!"

"Watch me," he said as he continued walking.

"Did you know that it's very rude to turn your back on a girl? Didn't your mother ever teach you some manners?" Kaoru asked following behind him.

Battousai totally exasperated, turned around and demanded. "Why are you following me? You'd best be going back where you came from. You can probably make it back before full dark if you don't dawdle."

"Back-" Kaoru stared at him incredulously. "If I knew how, I wouldn't be here arguing with you!" She put her hands on her hips and scathingly said, "And since you're the only one I knew here, it'll be best if I stick with you."

"You're not staying with me," he said firmly.

"I won't leave," she snapped, matching his long stride as well as she could.

"You seem to have a problem understanding me. I won't let you stay with me." He pointed his sword at her and frowned threateningly.

"Put that silly sword away," she commanded shoving the blade to one side. "There is no way in the world that I'm going to curtsy and trot back to where I came from just because you said so!"

"I told you I don't want your company. This is a mistake."

"It sure is and you're the one making it."

"But I don't want a companion, damn it."

"Are you the one they called Battousai?"

"Yeah!"

"Well, you've got one!"

They glared at each other. Kaoru felt dangerously close to tears, but she fought them back valiantly. She's a miles away from home. Correction, she's a hundred years away from home and no one to turn to.

Battousai saw the moistness in her eyes, and the barely concealed quiver of her chin. "Alright," he said gruffly. "You can stay the night with me. Maybe after supper we can get to the bottom of this." He strode away before she could reply.

"Thank you!" she shouted at his back. "What a gentleman," she muttered sarcastically.

Unbeknownst to her, Battousai heard her last remark. His mouth curved ever so slightly. "You ought to see what they taught me in charm school."

"Charm?" she scoffed. "I'll bet you can't even spell it."

Point to Miss Kaoru Kamiya, Battousai conceded, grinding his teeth.

"Alright, let's get this straight. Where exactly did you come from?" he said softly, welcoming the stirring of anger. Anger was an emotion he could grasp and wield like a sword. It was safe as long as he could control it. And even if he couldn't, it was a hell of a lot safer than what he'd felt a minute ago when her eyes had gone teary.

"I don't think you wanna know. And besides, you wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Try me," he said challengingly.

"Alright then, if you insist." She took a deep breath and said, "I'm from the future."

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

I gotta confess that this fic is driving me NUTS! THANKS TO MY READERS AND REVIEWERS!

JML - I'm taking your advice. Actually, I'm confused about the lunar calendar whachamacalit. ::HEHEHE:: Thanks so much for all your help. ::hugs::

Tenshineko, Gypsy-chan, nemo - Thanks for the suggestions.

Konton, Willow, Hatokirei - If reviews could kill, I'd be dead by now ::hehehe::

Special thanks to the following:

Dora-chan, Susan, Neko-chan, Inuki, Ayumi, tearlesereph, Tsuki-sama, Shojin Takaru, Chibi-Nikoru, mae, AngelsExist, Leigh, shizuka, Kamimura Kaoru, Shiari, StillbornAngel, mokona, rc, Chibi-angel, lieveit1, omochi, oro-chan, someone, Vesca, MP.

Minna, suggestions pls. I want to hear them. ::hugs & kisses::