Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ TIMELESS ❯ Lost in your arms ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

TIMELESS

Warning: Major OOCness

***CHAPTER 5***

Morning broke so fresh and pretty it was almost impossible for Kaoru to believe the events of the previous day had happened. Almost.

"Oh, God," she groaned as her surroundings swirled once around her and squeezed her eyes shut. "Please, let it all be a dream. No, more like a terrible nightmare. I hope I'm back to good old 2002 and my best friend Misao will greet me holding the latest copy of Playgirl magazine. She said it's a collector's item. Then we'll watch the latest movies on my DVD player while munching Teriyaki Macburger. I hope I just dreamt I went back in time were everything was so weird looking and the people acted to strange and doesn't have fashion sense."

A pounding was going on somewhere behind her ears. Gingerly, she put her fingers to her temples, holding her head in place as she rose unsteadily to her feet. Squinting against bright, pretty morning, she leaned heavily against the tree and peered at her surroundings. Her red-haired companion was crouched beside the fire, rotating the fish on the spit.

Everything about him, even as he performed the simple task of cooking their morning meal, exuded the power, the self-assurance of a man completely at home in the same surroundings she found so harsh and unforgiving. Never had she felt so alone, so out of place, as she did now, watching Kenshin Himura move in perfect harmony with the elements of his world.

"The sun is up," he declared without looking at her.

"Dawn. By golly, it is. Funny, I didn't hear it crack."

"Get moving, we have a long way to go. An early start is the basis of competence," he said.

"Really? Well, I'll have to add that one to my list."

He sighed briefly, no doubt already appalled by her list. "Hurry up, time is precious."

"Cut me some slack, will you," she half-yelled walking at the stand of bushes embracing the water's edge.

"Hey, where are you going?" he demanded.

"I'm being summoned by mother nature," she snapped.

After Kaoru had attended to her needs, she just stood there admiring the scenery. She then drew a long breath. The air here was clean and rich. She could pick out the scent of the damp earth, the trees and the subtle perfume of the wildflowers. It was a far cry from the noise and smoke polluted city she was accustomed to.

There was a sense of timelessness to the place, a sense of utter peace that invaded one's very soul. It was almost as if past and present merged here, then formed a boundless, eternal present. It might be kind of nice living here, Kaoru thought. Except for not having indoor plumbing. That was more of a sacrifice than she cared to make.

When she limped into the clearing, she found Kenshin frowning at her. "What took you so long? Stop messing around and eat your breakfast. You're wasting my time, I told you I need to visit Mr. Shakkuu Arai."

Kaoru glared at him. "You could have given me ten minutes, to put on a little makeup-"

"I've never known a woman who could make up her mind in ten minutes, let alone her face--"

"-But no, you've got to play Mr. Macho and drag me off at the crack of dawn for Mr. Shakira, whoever he is. You know, you could have been a hit in the army. Stand up straight there, Kaoru Kamiya. Chin up, stomach in, eyes straight forward," she did just that, holding her body to attention. "How is that, Sarge?"

"For crying out loud," he grumbled, shooting her a look from beneath ominously lowered brows. "I don't think denying you the time to put on some paint constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. And it's not Shakira, it's Shakkuu Arai. He happens to be a great swordsmith."

"Whatever Grandpa."

He flashed her with a saccharine smile. "Aren't we a bit cheerful this morning?"

"Don't be so nauseatingly cute. It doesn't become you," Kaoru said testily.

"My, my! What terrible problems some people have," he said smirking.

Kaoru gave him a death glare and took a bite of her food. Her brows lifted in surprise. This is good, she thought. This guy can actually cook.

"You don't have to look so shocked. I can surely make edible meals, unlike some people I know," he said meaningfully. "You're probably the only girl in the world that can burn water."

"Your ego is already big enough to choke a horse."

"Nah, I'm just being modest," he said.

"Of course, you are. You hadn't done anything to be conceited about," Kaoru shot back.

"You're not yourself today. I noticed the improvement immediately," Kenshin said mockingly.

"Why, thank you. At least you're not obnoxious like so many other people-you are obnoxious in a different and worse way!"

"As much as I would love to continue this battle of wits with you, I have a friend to visit. So I suggest you haul your pretty ass and get moving," he said while lifting his sack.

"This is no battle of wits between you and me. I never picked on an unarmed man."

Kenshin glared at her. "You must have gotten up on the wrong side of the cage this morning."

Kaoru stood up immediately, clutching her purse. "You know," she said following him. "You have just cornered the market on charm."

Kenshin bared his teeth. "Charm is my middle name."

"Really? I would have thought it was something that started with an A."

"Admirable?"

"Arrogant. Annoying. Ass-"

"Tut-tut, Miss Kamiya," he clucked in mock affront. "Such language is unbecoming to a lady of your quality."

Kaoru snarled at him. "You wouldn't know quality if it spit in your face." She dug through her purse and pulled out her slim gold compact and checked her reflection before stuffing it back into her purse. "Jeez! I look like shit," she groaned.

"So, what else it new?" Kenshin asked as he glanced over his shoulder at her.

"Keep talking while I pretend to listen," she replied.

"You know," Kenshin said, tipping his chin up to a cocky angle. "You should try to curve your sharp tongue and control your temper. Boys want girls to be feminine."

"Nobody ever mistook me for Yokozuna Wakanohara," she snapped. The nerve of this guy! Well, she wasn't some disgustingly faint-witted traditional Japanese wallflower after all! (A.N: Wakanohara is one of Japan's famous sumo wrestlers)

Kaoru could feel the heat of anger moving swiftly through her. He dare insult her! So he thinks she's not feminine enough. She had felt the full thrust of his masculine contempt for her poor showing as a woman. This man thinks entirely too much of himself, she thought, angry that he had so affected her. Wait till I get my hands on him. First I'll kill him………slowly………and then, I'll hurt him………

They walked down the road in silence. Kaoru was vividly aware of him each time his sleeve brushed her bare arm. She watched him covertly. His face can't be described as handsome but rather beautiful. The tender curve of cheek, delicately proportioned bones, the simple beauty of the lines of his brow and jaw seemed too pure for human demands. A cross-shaped scar on his left cheek drew her attention and she had the strangest desire to reach out and touch him. His lips were sensuous and looked as if he might be of a pleasant temperament when he wasn't faced with an unwanted companion.

Kaoru scolded herself for even thinking about Kenshin Himura. What did she care what Mr. Personality looked like? She'd sworn off men, and even if she hadn't, even if she'd been a raving nymphomaniac, she wouldn't have wanted anything to do with him.

Just ignore him, girl, she told herself firmly. Pretend he doesn't exist. But how could I pretend, with all that sunshine sparkling over his flaming red hair! I ought to pull it out on his head, one flaming strand at a time. The idea was pleasant.

She remembered then that he had fought other men for her honor. The reminder of his gallantry pricked her sense of fairness. However reluctantly she had come to be in his company this day, she had been grateful for his protection the previous day. Not wanting to seem churlish she decided that polite conversation was called for.

"It's such a beautiful day, isn't it?"

He remained silent and simply stared ahead. Jeez! This guy can give you sore throat, Kaoru thought. Not wanting to admit defeat, she tried again. "And might you want to tell me a little something about yourself?" she asked.

He ignored her and continued walking at a brisk pace. It was not much of a conversation but she was determined to continue it. "So, where are you from?"

"What is it to you?" he asked ungraciously.

"Nothing," she answered faintly, feeling like a child whose wrist had been slapped for an ill-mannered inquiry.

He flashed her a sardonic look. "Just what are you trying to do?"

"I'm trying to make a conversation."

"I thought you were going to pout. I'd really prefer if you pouted, actually."

Kaoru folded her arms and tilted her head to one side, her wild black mane spilling over her shoulders like a rumpled curtain. "I'm trying to be nice to you."

Kenshin gave a snort. "Whatever."

She studied him quietly for a moment, reflecting with some wonder on the antagonism that had instantly sprung up between them. This guy might be one of the best-looking boy she'd ever met, but he was a jerk as far as she was concerned. Her fingers curled protectively into fist against the soft leather of her purse. She decided a different tactic.

"I have a joke for you. Why are women stronger than men?"

"What?! That's ridiculous. There's no way women can be stronger than men."

Kaoru gave a sigh of exasperation. "You haven't heard the punch line, yet."

"Alright, what's the punch line?" he grumbled.

"Research tells that women are stronger than men because they carry two mountains while men can only carry two balls with the help of a bird. Ha! Ha! That's funny, isn't it?"

"I think it's sick," he muttered while blushing profusely.

Kaoru arched an elegant brow. "Aw, come on. Where's your sense of humor?"

"I lost it when I met you."

"Kill joy."

When they finally arrived at Skakkuu Arai's house, Kenshin told Kaoru to wait outside.

"Wait here!" Kaoru wailed.

He ignored the rest of her indignant protest and started for the house. Kaoru decided to follow him. If he thought she was going to stay outside like some recalcitrant child and miss out on meeting a great swordsmith, he had another think coming.

She took one step toward the house, and Kenshin wheeled on her with a look that could scare even Godzilla. It stopped her in her tracks, discretion, for once, winning out over impulse. She struggled and showed him a big, phony smile.

"Just stretching my legs," she said meekly.

Kenshin snarled a little under his breath, backing toward the house until he was certain she wasn't going to follow him. He couldn't think of many more distasteful things than facing a respected swordsmith with a wise cracking woman in tow. Only the gods knew what the amazing Miss Kamiya might come up with-I heard your swords were the best, so are they good for chopping onions? He suddenly cringed at the thought.

Shakku's wife met him at the front door and told him that her husband's at his shop. Kenshin immediately went to find him. The swordsmith was more than happy to see him.

"I heard you're leaving the Shishi, Himura, is that true?"

Kenshin nodded. "I've already asked Master Katsura's permission. From now on, I intend to search out the way of protecting those who live in the new age, without killing."

Shakkuu looked at him thoughtfully. "If there's such a way, I'd like to know it too. You can't just run away from all the lives you've taken. If you live by the sword, you die by the sword. That should be the only way you can follow."

He suddenly tossed Kenshin a sword. "My goodbye present to you. Try being a swordsman with that at your waist. You'll find out how deeply you believe what you just said."

Kenshin draws the sword and finds that the edge is reversed.

"When that sword breaks, if you still believe that weak joke of yours, come see me again in Kyoto."

Kenshin thanked him for his gift. "Mr. Shakkuu, I have a favor to ask you."

An hour later, Kaoru emerged from the Arai's house wearing a blue kimono that unwittingly matches the color of her eyes. Her hair had been gathered into a high ponytail held by a matching blue ribbon. The effect quite started Kenshin. She was transformed from a temptress into a demure Japanese girl. Although, looks can be deceiving, Kenshin thought. There's nothing demure about this girl. She can bend the ears of other people.

They both thanked the Arai family for their hospitality and took their leave. Kaoru was quite uncomfortable wearing a kimono.

"Will you stop fidgeting," Kenshin hissed under his breath.

Kaoru plucked at her obi. "The way I see it, my being in Mrs. Arai's best kimono is your fault."

"Yeah, well, I'll be glad to help you out of it later if you ask me real nice."

She narrowed her eyes, not liking the warmth spreading through her any more than she liked the man who was causing it. "I'll ask you to go take a flying leap."

"Sorry, no time." He flashed her a mocking smile.

"Jerk," Kaoru grumbled as he walked away. She couldn't quite manage to crush the instant bloom of feminine pleasure at the fact that he gave her an admiring glance when she stepped outside wearing a kimono. She had no business being charmed or flattered by anything he said or did. The man was a world-class cretin.

When they reached the town, Kaoru was surprised by the number of wagons littering the street. Everywhere she looked, people clustered around, some trying to attract customers. She was fully aware of the fact that she was without funds. Oh, she have credit cards, but it's useless in this time. She did not have money to buy even one meal to fill her empty, gnawing stomach. Without money how could she even survive one night in this large city?

Kaoru then decided to sell some of her things. She sold the lighter she was suppose to give to Mamoru as a birthday present and one of her ballpen. The merchant was awed for he had never seen a lighter and a ballpen before. She wanted to spend the night at an inn, but Kenshin wouldn't hear of it. So, they traveled again until they found an abandoned cabin nestled among a stand of trees, a mile or more from town.

"It's better if we stay here for awhile," Kenshin said, putting down his sack.

"Wow! What a palace," Kaoru grumbled.

"If you don't like it, then you're free to go back to town and stay at one of the inns there," Kenshin said gruffly. When he woke up that morning, he was thinking of leaving her. He had planned to move on, as far away as possible and leave her. Guilt was the only thing that stopped him. He could not push Kaoru from his mind as easily as he wished to. He had to admit to himself that he was intrigued with this girl with the wide, trusting eyes.

"You won't be able to get rid of me that easily, buster," she spat the words from between clenched teeth.

After they've cleaned the cabin and eaten their meal, both watched the darkness steal across the land. A low rumble of thunder was suddenly heard. A crooked finger of lightning speared at the far mountain.

Kaoru stiffened as the sound of thunder rolled down the valley to her. A fresh wind touched her face, bringing with it the scent of rain.

Kenshin glanced at her, then looked back. Most of the color had left her face. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said abruptly. She darted a nervous glance at the storm clouds. A threatening rumble bounced off the mountains and she closed her eyes tightly for a minute.

"Sounds like the gods are having fun," Kenshin commented lightly. When she didn't answer, he looked closely at her. "Are you alright?"

"Yes!"

The crash of thunder made the ground tremble and Kaoru made a small choked sound in her throat. Rain was beginning to slant downward in the valley below and the mounting wind lashed the trees as if an invisible giant hand combed their branches. As Kenshin watched in fascination, the rain approached the higher valley. Kaoru jumped as another bolt of lightning seared the sky.

"You're scared?" he said incredulously.

"No!" she heard her voice crack and felt perilously near tears.

"You are!" Kenshin exclaimed, too surprised to notice the nearing rain. "You're afraid of storms!"

"I am not!" she snapped at him, her hands trembling.

"Well, I'll be damned," he said in a voice full of amazement.

Kaoru buried her face in her hands and cried out. "Don't you tease me, Kenshin Himura! I can't help it!"

Quickly he was beside her, patting her shoulder. "No, no. I didn't mean to make fun of you. It's just that I didn't think you were afraid of anything. You just caught me off guard, that's all."

A blast of thunder that seemed to echo forever made Kaoru throw her arms around him and hold tightly to his firm strength.

"I-I know you don't like me," she stammered through bloodless lips. "But I'll give you some money to forget about that for a minute and put your arms around me."

He bit back a groan as compassion eclipsed his need to keep his distance from her. He put his arms around her gingerly and patted her back, and blatantly ignored the warmth rising in him. Proximity, that's all it was. Proximity and basic human kindness.

"It's nothing personal," Kaoru assured him as his clean male scent filled her head. He was so strong and solid. His chest had to be about a mile wide. She thought about doubling her offer, to buy a little more time, but squashed the idea before it had a chance to take root. She couldn't let herself weaken, couldn't rely on anyone to hold her up, especially Kenshin Himura, misogynist Himura with his ornery moods and his grudge against future girls.

"I'm sorry about that," she said, her voice hoarse with suppressed emotion as she pushed herself away from him.

Kenshin studied her as though he'd never seen her before. She was pale and her skin had a waxen sheen. The usual soft blue of her eyes had been replaced with a glittering sapphire of unshed tears. As the thunder raged around them, she trembled visibly and her breath was quick and shallow.

"Kaoru?" he asked uncertainly.

She ignored his rare use of her name. "It was on a night like this that they died," she whispered. "My mom and dad were on their way home from a business meeting when my father lost control of the car and they fell off the cliff." Her large, staring eyes seemed to again be seeing the most horrifying event of her life. "I just got back from my vacation in Paris when I heard the news." She swallowed dryly. "I wanted to go to them, but I couldn't! Their bodies were found the next day," she ended with a whisper.

Kenshin had no idea what a car is, but he caught her to him and held her tightly. He ached to heal the wound that must have lain raw and bleeding all these years. "There, now. Everything is fine," he murmured soothingly.

"I felt so helpless. I should have stopped them from going to that meeting. From that day on, I'm terrified of storms," she said, her voice muffled against his chest.

The storm was already beginning to fade as quickly as it had come. With relief she buried her face against his chest and held him tightly as sobs racked her body. Kenshin let her cry, knowing that tears were rare for her and hoping this would help ease her pain. Yet with each distant peal of thunder she trembled. She felt so good in his arms. Each part of her body molded naturally into his own. She was so slender that he was afraid he might hurt her if he hugged her too tightly.

Minutes passed along with the storm, but they lingered in the warmth of their embrace. Kaoru rubbed her cheek against the softness of his gi. Beneath, she felt his firm chest and the steady, comforting beat of his heart.

"It wasn't your fault, Kaoru, it's just their time to go," he said, staring down at her as he fought against his own ghost of the past, against the memory that was so painful, still, that he couldn't talk about it, even to her. Silently, he took her cold hand and led her to the open door.

"I'll let you in on a little secret. There's very few things that are really frightening. You make reality inside your own head. You created the fear. You created your own reality. Sometimes I think the only real power that we have-the only real control that we have in this world-is over ourselves and our perceptions."

Kaoru studied him in the darkness. She tried to read whatever lay behind his eyes. There was pain there, as well as something she couldn't understand.

"Kenshin," Kaoru said softly. "Can you tell me something?"

"What is it?" he said, staring at her.

"Who's Tomoe?"

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hope you like this chapter minna. Thanks for reading and reviewing. The women-stronger-than-men joke was courtesy of my friend who has a wicked sense of humor. ::hehehe:: I thought it was a darn good joke and I just had to put it in my story. I borrowed that conversation between Shakkuu and Kenshin, since I'm too lazy to write my own version.

JML - I think I'll use `Miss' instead of `dono.' Remember, when I tried to use `san' in `Flames,' it was a complete disaster. But I think I'll still include Kenshin's fave expression `Oro' and Kaoru's `Mou' in the later chapters. BTW, when are you going to update your fic? I wanted to read something great this holiday (Nov. 1).

Gypsy-chan - Kenshin is 18 and Kaoru's 17. Did you know that I, myself was actually laughing my head off when I wrote that dinner scene.

blue jeans - I wanted to stick to the PG-13 rating.

lieveit1 - I was sooo amused by your reviews and thanks for reviewing my fic TWICE!

Blue Angel - I was quite aware of the fact that Kenshin as a rurouni does not kill bec. of his promise to Tomoe. However, if you've read chapter 3, Kenshin has this dialogue `That will be the last one.' I made him kill those bad guys, since he hasn't still received his sakabatou.

LSR-7 - Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely e-mail you when I need to know more about Japanese weddings.

MP - Tomoe is no longer alive in this fic. But she will play a major role in K+K's relationship.

Tsuki-sama - Actually, that dialogue about getting a nanny and a maid instead of a wife was my fave statement whenever people lectured me on domestic life. I'm kinda pissed off whenever they brought that subject up. I used to tell my friends that when I get married, the first gift I wanted to receive is a can opener. ::hehehe:: And thanks for adding me to your list of fave author. I'm sooo flattered.

Give me some suggestions on who you wanted to be a geisha. The one with the most number of votes will definitely be my geisha in the next chapter. Pick just ONE. ::hehehe:: It will be fun. *evil smile*

YUMI

MEGUMI

TAE

SHURA

SAYO