Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ Why Helia turned into a Shadow Warrior ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 23 goes up. This is Chapter 24 and a break from the usual Akuma fighting with no connection to the D. Grey-man anime. The title basically tells you what this chapter is all about. Read and review.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 24: Why Helia turned into a Shadow Warrior
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
The reason why Kanda's past incarnation turned into a Shadow Warrior was because his wife and unborn twins were killed by a jealous Princess Serenity.
 
You see, the White Moon Princess had long set her sights on Kanda's past incarnation, the enigmatic and mystifying Prince Helia of Saturn. Due to this inscrutable aura surrounding him, women were drawn to the Saturnian Prince like flies to a flame. And the White Moon Princess was no exception. As the High Princess of the Silver Alliance, Princess Serenity always had what she wanted, especially men. The haughty Princess had prided herself to being the sole winner of the battlefield of love. Men fell to her feet and worshipped the ground she walked on. And simply because of that, the White Moon Princess had no qualms in stealing other women's men for herself. As such, she set her targets on the one man every woman desired, Prince Helia of Saturn. She had wanted him not for love, but for the prestige of owning what so many other women wanted.
 
It had been long thought that Prince Helia did not have a life partner and just when the infatuated White Moon Princess decided to seduce him during a gala on the Moon Kingdom, hoping that she would, in turn, become his destined life partner, when the Saturnian Prince shattered that hope as he entered the ballroom with Princess Adeline of Mercury in tow.
 
Rumours from the numerous jealous single females on the sidelines were mostly mainly about that the Saturnian Prince was merely an escort to the Mercurian Princess and how unlikely it was for the blue-haired Princess to be the chosen life partner of the most eligible male in the entire Silver Alliance.
 
But all their rumours were silenced when the Saturnian Prince led the intelligent Princess to the middle of the dance floor just as a waltz number came on and Prince Helia twirled his partner to the waltz and the Mercurian Princess did nothing to stop him.
 
Aside, Princess Serenity's eyes widened in disbelief and shock when she saw the object of her long-time obsession lead Princess Adeline in the graceful waltz, his arms encircling her waist tenderly yet possessively.
 
They. . . they're together. . . the White Moon Princess was completely stunned, unable avert her gaze from the blissful couple. He's... he's with her...! I... can't believe it!
Princess Serenity clenched her hands into fists, her face bright red and her eyes livid with jealous anger.
 
This wasn't right… the White Moon Princess fumed. I'm the High Princess of the Silver Alliance and every guy will fall in love with me. Why can't I get Helia to love me?
 
It's all her fault! She turned her mental accusations to Adeline. If it wasn't for her, Helia will have been mine! I will have him! No matter what!
 
Helia will be mine! Princess Serenity seethed and she set forth a series of plans to separate the two lovers.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
A couple of weeks later, Princess Serenity had somehow managed to sneak into the Titan Castle, an aphrodisiac stolen from Sailor Venus in her hands. Her plan was simple; slip the potion into Helia's food and drink and get him into bed with her. Then Helia would have no choice but to marry her! The White Moon Princess grinned at how easy it would be. She would finally have the man every woman desired.
 
But what the White Moon Princess didn't know was that once a Saturnian has determined his or her life partner, he or she would be bound to the person for eternity, both spiritually and emotionally. This meant that nothing could turn a Saturnian against his or her life partner.
 
Not only that, Princess Serenity also made a slight blunder, she had put the aphrodisiac in King Saturn's plate and goblet and not Helia's. Needless to say, Queen Saturn's lusty screams were heard throughout the castle that night.
 
Plan One… failed.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Time passes…
 
“You done?” Helia asked his fiancée as she was typing out the last sentence of her analysis.
 
“Almost.” Adeline replied. “Last three words…”
 
“Done!” she beamed, quick saving her completed work on her compact computer.
 
“Good, Nymph.” Helia remarked. “Because you've been working for almost three days straight.”
 
“Have I been working that long?” Adeline inquired in disbelief.
 
“Yup.” Helia nodded.
 
“But then,” he nuzzled her neck. “That's one of the small quirks I love about you. You're so totally focused on your job that you forget about everything else.”
 
“Nicely done, Nymph.” He praised, placing a lick on the sensitive spot behind her earlobe.
 
“Helia… not he…” Adeline's mild protest was cut off by a pleasured moan when the Saturnian Prince assaulted her collarbone with his aggressive kisses. She then let out a shriek in surprise when her fiancé bit her skin teasingly.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Meanwhile, Princess Serenity of the White Moon was peeking the two lovers, her blue eyes seething in anger as she watched the tender scene unfold.
 
That should be me! She fumed. I should be the one sitting at his side! I should be the one he keeps so close! I should be the one he kisses! Her frame began to tremble ever so slightly in rising fury.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Both Helia and Adeline stiffened slightly at a sudden, insistent yet gentle crackle of White Moon magic along the edge of their senses. All previous thoughts of contentment and affection faded to the backs of their minds as they concentrated their attention on this new occurrence. They could feel it collecting to a point that was as yet undetermined. Nonetheless, to Helia, this was a very bad omen. The Saturnian Prince's hand tightened around the Guardian Senshi's hand as his piercing gray eyes covertly scanned the entire library.
 
To his eyes everyone seemed normal enough; nothing was out of place, yet where was this feeling coming from?
 
Something's wrong. Adeline remarked, opening their mind link.
 
Helia met her mesmerizing eyes. It's much darker, he agreed. Much colder, yet…
 
Familiar. Adeline finished his sentence.
 
Yes. Helia agreed.
 
The sensation suddenly seemed to explode in intensity and everyone within the library with even the slightest hint of magic in them felt it undulating around them. Hushed, frightened murmurs began to spread through the library as everyone else tried to figure out where the sensation of building magic was coming from. At a loss they all turned to their future rulers expectantly.
 
Both young adults frowned at their surroundings as they stood up slowly. Her hand
placed on the table, Adeline summoned a Seeker with her magic. Mere seconds later, a bright blue orb with two large angel-like wings attached to either side of its head flew off at its mistress's commands.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
 
Blue-eyed Serenity struggled to keep up her calm facade as the magical Seeker drew closer to her hiding place. She could feel Adeline's magic radiating from the Seeker, it was getting much too close to discovering her. She had to act soon or all her efforts would be for nothing. Worry began to eat at her nerves.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
Adeline felt herself recoil suddenly as if a live electrical wire had run her through. The Seeker she had sent out had suddenly came back screeching to her as the Princess of Mercury found herself staring into angry blue orbs. Adeline's eyes widened slightly as she took an involuntary step back in fear, stunned by the amount of hate swimming in the Moon Princess's eyes. Their eyes locked as Serenity stepped out deliberately slow, White Moon Princess's stare refusing to release the Ice Senshi's gaze. Adeline felt frozen in place, as if time was moving in slow motion. She could hear Helia shouting a warning to her, could see him running to rush to her side from the corner of her eye, but her gaze was fixed on Princess Serenity. Her feet felt rooted to the floor.
 
What's happening to me? The Ice Senshi demanded of herself, nearing a state of panic.
 
“Feel pain, little witch.” Princess Serenity growled low in menace, an evil grin on her ruby lips. “Feel the lovely pain you have caused me.”
 
Just as he reached his Nymph's side, Helia saw his beloved life partner drop to her knees, her face contorted in deep agony. The pained cry from her lips tore his heart apart. Seconds later his own senses were assaulted by a pain so acute the he felt suddenly paralysed. There was no one place that hurt more than the others. It was as if all his pain receptors were ordered to fire off all at once. He fell to the unforgiving floor to the sound of Adeline crying out in sheer agony as she curled into a fetal position. He was mirroring her pain, felt what she felt, felt it arcing across their link in torrential waves to attack his senses as well. She screamed out his name, both desperate for help and comfort and remorseful that he too had to share the unbearable sensation. Those of the Mercurian mage lines leapt to their feet, some rushing to their future rulers' aid while others charged at the smug looking Princess Serenity. No one seemed to be able to reach the girl. All who tried were thrown backwards unceremoniously.
 
Suddenly, the library doors flung apart as Adeline's Elite Guardians dashed in.
 
“Oh yes, oh mighty Elite Guardians, protect your precious Princess. She's not the one I'm after in the first place.” Princess Serenity sneered.
 
Stunned faces watched the avenging teen turn away from the person everyone had originally believed was her target. Who she did turn to sent a cold chill up everyone's spines.
 
Her target was Helia.
 
Helia managed to raise himself to his knees despite the pain and looked up. He saw the girl, the Princess of the Moon, begin to walk towards him, her pace deliberate and full of purpose. None of the Mercurian mages seemed to be able to stop her approach. Behind the girl he could see Adeline's Elite Guardians standing over the Ice Senshi's huddled body as he watched the scene helplessly. Tears filled Adeline's blue eyes, her eyes locking with the gentle gray of her beloved life partner's eyes. Helia could feel the crackling bolts of energy surrounding the cornflower-eyes Serenity as she approached him, but he didn't give her the twisted satisfaction of watching her draw nearer. His eyes were for Adeline alone, watching and feeling her struggle against the painful magical attack.
 
Helia…? Her mind half questioned, half pleaded.
 
He focused his whole being on his beloved Nymph. I have faith in you, he sent her, hoping she understood.
 
Adeline blinked, having seen his eyes momentarily flash a brilliant white. An overwhelming sense of reassurance seemed to fill her as she felt Helia's presence brush her soul in a lovingly tender caress. The tiniest of smiles touched her lips and she stared back at him.
 
I will find you, she sent him, somehow knowing he would soon be leaving.
 
Helia blinked in surprise when her eyes flashed a scintillating white, but at the same time he felt reassured by it. He, too, knew he would be gone within the next few moments. How he knew this was a mystery even to him. But at the same time he was beyond certain that no matter what Adeline would find him. It was a strange role-reversal, it had always been his job to protect and save her from harm. Now it was her turn to save him from whatever this was.
 
Oblivious to everything save her apparent victory, Princess Serenity came to stand next to the kneeling object of her affection and toyed with his midnight blue hair in affection.
 
“Helia is mine, Mercury.” she directed to the Senshi of Ice. “I will make him see that. I suggest you not be here when we return. It'll save you being rejected so publicly.”
 
I will find you, Adeline sent again softly just as a silvery-white sphere surrounded Serenity and the girl's prize. The sphere abruptly brightened and contracted in on itself, vanishing in the blink of an eye. The pain she had been suffering left the ice wielder at the same time as the sphere disappeared from sight. Shock held the library in a deep, stunned silence. No one dared to speak, still not believing what they had just witnessed. Slowly Adeline raised herself to her knees and just stared at where her love had once been, a look of sheer determination on her face.
 
“I promise.” she whispered fiercely.
 
“She had taken him to the Moon Palace.” Andros, the leader of her Elite Guardians supplied.
 
At Adeline's puzzled look, he elaborated, “I picked up her magical trace when she vanished.”
 
Adeline nodded sternly.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
Helia couldn't remember exactly when it had been he had passed out or why exactly he had. Not that it mattered much now since he was positive he did pass out. He was waking from it as he realized it. His senses were agonizingly sluggish to return, frustrating his already alert mind. He wanted to know where he was, needed to know to prepare himself for anything that could happen. The Saturnian's sense of balance returned first. He was horizontal by the feel of it, lying onto something. Sounds came next. There were chains nearby, clinking softly from movement caused by something swinging from them or from a breeze moving them. But he didn't hear any wind. Only breathing. He could hear two different sets, his own sounding slightly ragged and one more not far away. The sense of touch returned soon after. The chains he had heard were binding him, holding his arms up and apart above his head, digging into his flesh slightly. The air was cool against his face. Or was that sensation of the fingers trailing down his cheek?
 
Fingers?
 
A warm breath brushed his lips and he recoiled sharply, as far as the chains would allow him, before whoever it was made contact with his mouth. He knew instinctively that this was not Adeline. His gray eyes snapped open to stare into the disappointed face of Princess Serenity. Helia frowned a growl at her, turning his face away in disgust.
 
She bristled and pouted like a child. “Why don't you love me?” she questioned in all innocence, genuinely not understanding how he could possibly resist her.
 
“Gee, where to start?” he snapped sarcastically, still looking away.
 
Princess Serenity moved closer to him and grinned triumphantly when her magical chains kept him from retreating any further. She pressed herself up against his chest, a hand to his heart as the other hand lightly traced the features of his face, enjoying his attempts to escape her touch.
 
“That girl is weak, Helia, she is unworthy of your attentions.” she murmured seductively. “You deserve someone stronger, someone better. Let me be that someone.”
 
He didn't say a word, only tried to pull his face further away from her searching lips, thoroughly disgusted.
 
“She is far too naive and innocent.” she cooed, undeterred by his actions of refusal.
“You deserve someone more experienced, someone who will know how to please you in every way possible.”
 
Helia blinked in appalled understanding. He frowned in utter revulsion and glared at his jailer. “I would rather die a horrible and agonizing death that let you anywhere near me that way.” he hissed.
 
Her expression faded to stunned disbelief.
 
He refused her?
 
The disbelief then melted into fury. He wasn't allowed to refuse her. He had to fall in love with her. She pulled back away from him, much to the warrior's relief. With her hand balled into a fist she struck Helia hard across the face, hard enough for him to taste his own blood on his tongue. All the sweetness and innocence that had played upon her face were now gone, replaced by the expression worn by every woman who was ever shunned by the one she desired.
 
“You'll change your mind soon enough.” she ground in promise. “You'll see. I brought you here just for that.”
 
Here…, he suddenly pondered. Where is here anyway?
 
Working his jaw against the pain from the blow, the young Prince raised his eyes and took in his surroundings. Glittering transparent crystal decorated his jail, a translucent curtain brushed past his cheek and a strong whiff of roses invaded his nose. His eyes turned up and Helia saw drapes over him. He blinked as details sunk in one by one, striking a memory cord.
 
A bed. The Saturnian Prince mused. I'm on Serenity's bed.
 
The Moon Princess grinned maliciously at Helia's startled expression.
 
“I will make you love me.” she promised as she turned to retrieve something from the side table.
 
Helia's eyes widened at the object in the Moon Princess's hands.
 
Serenity's smile widened as she raised the Moon Stick in front of her. The Ginzuishou mounted on top of the Moon Stick began to glow brightly as Helia looked on in horror. “Please Ginzuishou... make Helia love me!” she asked the crystal, which began to pulse in response to her wish.
 
However, the crystal's light suddenly dimmed.
 
Princess Serenity looked on in horror as the Ginzuishou's powers receded back into the crystal. A powerful watery beam of blue then shot the Moon Stick out of the Moon Princess's hands.
 
“Love cannot be forced, Serenity.” Adeline warned, the light of the Crystal Rose dimming as its powers receded. Meanwhile, the Elite Guardians freed their future King.
 
The Princess of the Moon could only watch as the seven disappeared into a portal Andros pulled out.
 
Plan Two… failed.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Time passes…
 
Everyone else had commented what a perfect couple the two made, causing Adeline to blush when Helia placed a tender kiss on her cheek.
 
To make matters worse, Helia suddenly announced his marriage to Adeline during one of Queen Selenity's court sessions, causing the said Senshi to blush deeply, confirming their marriage.
 
After the court session, Princess Serenity stalked the empty halls of Moon Kingdom, a low growl issuing from her throat. That particular scene made Serenity all the more furious, bringing her close to howling. She had been refused her prize yet again. And now the taunts of the Inner Senshi and the reprimands of the Outer Senshi haunted her tortured mind.
 
You are obsessed...
 
He'll never want you...
 
The Saturn Prince's path lies with Mercury's, never with yours...
 
He refused you...
 
He loves Adeline dearly. It shows...
 
Don't Lady Mercury and the handsome Saturn Prince make a handsome couple?
 
Princess Serenity shouted out her frustration, striking a nearby marble column with her bare fist to help vent some of her fury. It hurt. She smiled at the pain. Pain was good. This was the kind of pain she wanted Adeline to feel in her heart.
 
Humph! How dare him! The Princess of the White Moon fumed. He would rather marry a nobody like her than me! I'm so angry!
 
Then, her ruby lips turned up into a twisted grin as an idea churned in her mind. Hee, hee… Adeline, Helia would've been mine if it wasn't for you! You have never given me any respect! I won't let you enjoy the rest of your life… hee… hee…
 
It was then when a desperate plan came into her mind, a plan that will hurt Adeline and make Helia turn to her.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
Time passes…
 
“You're wonderful, Adeline.” Helia told his wife, his hand smoothing over her huge belly.
 
“Sweet-talker.” Adeline accused playfully with a teasing grin.
 
“Nope.” The King of Mercury smirked. “Just speaking the truth.”
 
Unknown to the loving couple, the Moon Princess had hidden herself in the lavish gardens and was growling jealously at the tender scene.
 
The Moon Princess drooled as she fantasized that she was the one in Helia's arms, and not Adeline.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
Serenity's Daydream
 
“Oh Serenity! I don't know what I was thinking when I spent all that time with Adeline!” Helia cried out, kneeling before her on the soft grass of the park with her hands held in his. “How could my eyes have been blind to such perfection all this time? You're the one for me, please forgive my error!” He begged.
 
Princess Serenity simply glowed as she gazed down at him, giving him a light smile as she nodded her head. How could she say no to him? Especially when he looked so good kneeling there, his sword strapped to the right side of his waistband, giving the added knight-in-shining-armor effect. “Of course I forgive you. I love you.” She said, beaming as he got to his feet before taking her into his arms and holding her close.
 
“I love you too.” He said seductively, leaning in for a soft kiss that she gladly complied to.
 
End of Serenity's Daydream
 
***************************************************************** **************************
The Moon Princess then dug within herself, waiting for her third chance to arrive.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
Flashback
 
Adeline was in the middle of her second trimester of her pregnancy when Helia, being the worrywart that he is, took charge of the palace's security the moment Adeline's second trimester set in. That proved the perfect opportunity for Princess Serenity to set her seduction plan into action.
 
Helia was on night shift. When it came close to switching his shift to the next officer, he headed off to return to his wife. When he rounded the corner of a deserted hallway, he was shocked to see Princess Serenity standing before him, the shoulder pads of her dress pulled down to her elbows, revealing her breasts. She lunged at him and started to kiss him.
 
When he pushed her away, she cooed, “It's safe to have sex with me now. I'm having my period.”
 
Then, she did the unthinkable; she actually took off her undies to show him that she was bleeding.
 
In his sternest voice, Helia told her to put her dress back on. With a wave of his hand, he used a teleporting spell on the Moon Princess before she cried rape.
 
Seduction Plan One... failed.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
Flashback
 
A few weeks later, right before Adeline's third trimester, Princess Serenity pulled the same stunt after Helia made sure his wife was alright before returning to his nightly shift. Again, she confronted him in the same hallway, whipping out a condom before asking him to have sex with her.
 
Disgusted, Helia used the same teleporting spell as before, without letting the Moon
Princess finish her seducing speech.
 
Seduction Plan Two... failed.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
That night, having carefully plotted out the sentries' route, Princess Serenity had snuck into the royal bedroom where Adeline's light was still on.
 
Silently opening the door, the vengeful Moon Princess crept behind the bane of her existence, a silver dagger in her hand.
 
Poising the blade at Adeline's throat, Princess Serenity hissed, “Helia is mine, witch. With you gone, Helia will turn to me.”
 
A horrified scream from a maidservant told the bitter Moon Princess that she had been discovered.
 
Adeline's Elite Guardians immediately rushed to the scene, with Andros giving orders to one of the Guards to alert the King.
 
Holding the pregnant Queen hostage, Princess Serenity inched out of the resting chambers.
 
“Moon Princess, what do you think you're doing?” Andros demanded, minutes later on the palace roof.
 
“Don't come any closer!” she warned, as the pair neared the edge of the roof.
 
Turning her eyes on Andros, she added as she pressed the blade closer onto Adeline's neck, “If it wasn't for this witch, Helia would've been mine! I'm only taking back what I deserve, what's supposed to be mine!”
 
With a malicious smirk, she drew the blade across the terrified Queen's neck, causing a red line to trail on her pale throat as blood dripped from the wound. Turning the tip of the dagger towards her rival's neck, she plunged the knife into Adeline's throat, laughing in triumph.
 
Right before the Mercurian's guards horrified eyes, the Moon Princess tossed the mortally wounded Queen over the roof with a flick of her wrist. Then, she grinned before teleporting to Saturn to tell Helia the good news.
 
Andros quickly ordered his men to check on their Queen and send an urgent message to Saturn to inform their King.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
On Saturn…
 
Helia had immediately sensed his Nymph's death. He already knew what would happen next as his mother's warnings echoed in his mind.
 
A Saturnian and his Chosen will be of one soul, feeling all from the other as if it were their own. They will share the greatest of joy; they will share most excruciating of pain. The very moment one of the pair should perish, the other will turn into also enter the great beyond at their side. But if the Chosen was killed, the Saturnian will turn into a Shadow to avenge the Chosen's death before joining the Chosen on the other side. Let neither survive the other, let them be together throughout eternity.
“You're now mine!” Princess Serenity rejoiced as she appeared before Helia seconds later. “I've killed Adeline! Now no one stands between us! With Adeline gone, you have no choice but to turn to me!”
 
The Moon Princess was too busy laughing at her victory to even care that an ominous aura was emitting from the newly-made widower or that the other Saturnians with him were backing off fearfully from their Prince, staring in horror as the Saturnian's shadow half took over completely.
 
“You really shouldn't have done that…” the Saturnian hissed, his black aura flaring as he turned into a Shadow Warrior.
 
The Moon Princess's eyes widened in shock at the new Shadow Warrior.
 
This shouldn't be happening! She mentally exclaimed. He should've turned to me with that witch dead!
 
Princess Serenity let out a fearful shriek as the Shadow Warrior powered up a black lightning ball between his hands and fired it at her. She quickly pulled a teleportation, escaping back to the Moon Palace before the attack hit her.
 
The now vengeful Shadow then turned to the Saturnians with him, with every intention on killing them when Sailor Saturn appeared, blocking his attack with her Silence Glaive. Sailor Uranus quickly used her `World Shaking' attack on the young man she always considered a younger brother, sending the new Shadow Warrior to the outskirts of the Titan Castle.
 
What happened next was described in Chapter 16.
 
***************************************************************** **************************
SailorStar9: Now that's done. Read and review.