Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Shot Heaven ❯ You Belong with Me ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kagome trembled as she stood waiting. They were about to call her on stage. She had rocketed into stardom under the name of Shikon No Tama. She was wanted everywhere. She usually wore a wig and different types of clothes to hide her identity. She was getting ready to perform a new song that she had written.

Closing her eyes, she thought back to the night before. She had been working on schoolwork when her neighbor had been seen through her window. Her and Inuyasha had grown up living right next to her and had become close friends. During high school, he had become extremely popular and so they didn't get to hang out all that much. Shrugging, she heard her introduction and lifted her chin.

Once on stage, she listened to the cheers of her fans. A small smile appeared. “Hello, thank you all for coming. This is a new song that I've been working on. I hope you enjoy it.” After a moment, an upbeat tune began to be played.

You're on the phone with your girlfriend ‒ she's upset,
She's going off about something that you said
'Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do.

She remembered that night well. Inuyasha had been pacing in his room, his phone pressed to his ear. His window had been open. Concerned, she had decided to open her window and listen. “Look Kikyo, it was a damn joke!” After a moment, he gave a frustrated groan. “Look I'm sorry okay?” Kagome sighed softly. Once he hung up, he caught sight of her at her window. He leaned out and grinned. “Sorry about that Kag's.”

Kagome grinned, shaking her head. “It's alright Yasha. Everything alright?”

He shrugged. “Yeah, Kikyo got mad over something I said as a joke.” Kagome giggled. “Hey, you're going to be coming to the game Friday right?”

Kagome nodded. “I'm in the band you know.” He chuckled.

Suddenly, he turned toward the door. “Hey, I'll talk to ya later.” Kagome nodded.

I'm in the room ‒ it's a typical Tuesday night.
I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like.
And
she'll never know your story like I do.

Tuesday night had been quiet. She hadn't seen Inuyasha yet. Currently, she was blasting some rock and roll. A thought came to her. Kikyo absolutely hated rock and roll. Giggling as she danced goofily in room, she remembered when Inuyasha would come over to get away from his family for some time. They would rock out for hours on end. She didn't catch Inuyasha opening his curtains and watching her wistfully.

But she wears short skirts
I wear t-shirts
She's cheer capta
in
And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time.

If you could see
That I'm the one
Who understands you.
Been here all along.
So, why can't you see ‒
You belong with me,

Y
ou belong with me?

As she continued to sing the song, Kagome mentally grimaced. Here she was wearing a short green skirt and a strapless top in high heels. She absolutely hated wearing this kind of stuff, but her producer had ordered her to wear these. What fans would want to see her in her normal stuff. Usually she did wear more grungy stuff. It helped to remind her that she was Kagome and way different from Kikyo.

Kikyo was the cheerleading captain at their school and had Inuyasha as a boyfriend since he was quarterback of the football team. They were supposed to fit. Yet Kagome knew the rumors of Kikyo. She went after what she wanted whether it was male or female. It didn't matter what age either. Hell, she'd had sex with half the teachers at the school.


Walking the streets with you in your worn out jeans
I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be.
Laughing on
a park bench thinking to myself,
"Hey, isn't
this easy?"

A
nd you've got a smile
That can light up this whole town.
I haven't seen it in awhile
Since she brought you down.

You say you're fine ‒ I know you better than that.
Hey, what you doing with a girl like that?

Her mind dropped back to Wednesday. Inuyasha had managed to get away for some time and they had decided for fun to walk around the park like they used to. He had pulled on some of his old clothes with her. They were laughing and joking like they used to. She was finally glad to be able to get him to smile like he used to. He'd only ever smile like that whenever she was around now.

They had found a park bench to sit on. Suddenly, a red convertible pulled up nearby. She had watched Inuyasha's smile drop and his eyes get dark. She reached out. “Inuyasha, why are you with her if she doesn't make you happy?”

She had watched Inuyasha glance at her and give her a slight smirk. “I am happy Kags. I'm fine, don't worry about me. I'll see you later.”

She wears high heels,
I wear sneakers.
She's cheer
captain,
And I'm on the bleachers.
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been he
re the whole time.

If you could see
That I'm the one
Who understands you,
Been here all along.
So, why can't you see ‒
You belong
with me?

Once again, she had been left alone. Since then, she hadn't seen him. The game yesterday had been a success for the school but not for Inuyasha. He had caught Kikyo finally. She had been hitting on one of the other football players, Naraku. She was pretty sure he dumped her then and there. She could just imagine the stuff going on at the dance tonight. It was prom night. She was here performing, and her friends were at prom. Thankfully this was her last song.


Standing by and waiting at your backdoor.
All this time how could you not know, baby

You belong with me,
You belong with me?


Oh, I remember you were driving to my house
In the middle of the night.
I'm the one who makes you laugh
When you know you're 'bout to cry.
I know your favorite songs,
And you tell me about your dreams.
Think I kn
ow where you belong,
Think I know it's with me.

Tears came unbidden out of her eyes. They had told each other everything. Why he would want her, she didn't know. Out of the corner of her eye, she suddenly saw something she hadn't been expecting. It was all her friends. They were here. Sango and Miroku were standing next to each other dancing to the music. Next to them was Kouga with Ayame. Near them was Inuyasha. On his shoulders Shippo was cheering. Nearby was Sesshomaru standing straight and looking bored while Rin danced around his feet.

She couldn't help the smile blossom on her face. How did they find out? Glancing backstage, she saw her mother smiling. That's how then… She would have to thank her mother later. Straightening up, she let her emotions flow into the song.


Can't you see
That I'm the one
Who understands you?
Been here all along.
So, why can't you see ‒
You belong with me?

Standing by and waiting at your backdoor.
All this time how could you not know, baby ‒
You belong with me,
You belo
ng with me?

You belong
with me.

Have you ever thought just maybe
You belong with me?

You belong with me.

As the song ended, she bowed out and retreated backstage. Within minutes, her friends were there crowding around her. Her eyes were only for one person. She watched Inuyasha move forward and felt him wrap his arms around her waist. Everyone grew silent. Suddenly, Inuyasha's dark eyes lightened and he grinned like his old self. “No, you belong with me Kagome.” She flushed as he kissed her lightly. She heard everyone except for Sesshomaru let out a resounding cheer. There was some finally and some about times in there as well. She pulled back, a grin on her face.

“I love you Inuyasha…”


Inuyasha grinned. “I love you Kagome.” He suddenly picked her up. “Let's go to prom!”