Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the Absent Moon ❯ Usagi, Mamoru & Their Fall to Cephiro ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: All characters, places and quotes of Magic Knight Rayearth are copyright CLAMP, Kodansha, Dentsu, YTV, TMS-K & Anime Works. All Sailor Moon references and characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi, TOEI, Kodansha & Pioneer.

A/N: This story is OLD. When I say old, I mean I started it in, like, '00 or '01 and its last update was in '04. It's still not finished, but if you like it let me know and I'll try to finish it. My biggest problem is that I need to rewatch the second season of Rayearth to finish it and I find that I don't like it as much as I did when I first started writing this. The ending really pissed me off. But, seriously, if you like it, tell me and I'll work it back into my writing schedule. I mustn't forget to mention my younger sister (Sailor Guardian) who helped with the initial story planning.

Shadow of the Absent Moon
- Usagi, Mamoru & Their Fall to Cephiro -

Mamoru took a step towards the windows of the Observation Deck. There was a light tug on the arm that was connected with his girlfriend. He managed to smile down to her. "If you're not going to look, why did you come up here?"

Casting her eyes downward, Usagi squeezed Mamoru's hand a little bit. "Well, because you wanted to and I thought it couldn't be that bad. That is until I got up here."

"Oh, Usako." He pulled her into his arms, comforting. She stuffed her face in his shirt, wuffed and made little content cooing.

"Mamo-chan?"

"Um, hmm..."

"They look so awfully sad."

He turned in Usagi's direction to see what she was talking about when a super nova strength flash of light screamed toward them. He had enough time to close his eyes and notice Usagi's fingernails were digging into the flesh at the back of his arms when it hit. The light lasted only a second, but it took a few more than that for the sparklies in his vision to clear. When it did, Mamoru wished it hadn't. They were falling.

"Mamo-chan!?!"

"Usako!" Skydiving without a parachute? It wasn't going to end that way. Mamoru was thinking just enough to transform into Tuxedo Kamen. Usagi must have had the same idea.

"Moon Crystal Power! Make Up!" She pushed herself away from Tuxedo Kamen to finish her transformation. Then, she twisted around to face the ground. "Tuxedo Kamen, get behind me!" A flash of her scepter was enough for Tuxedo Kamen to do exactly what she said. He grabbed her shoulders from behind.

"Moon Princess Halation!" The Halation pushed against the ground and did slow them down, but not enough.

Tuxedo Kamen worked an arm around Sailor Moon against the pressure of the Halation and shot a myriad of roses at the rapidly approaching ground before they hit. Hit they did. It was a hard landing and Sailor Moon was nowhere to be seen.

"Usako!?!" He dove through the chest high roses.

"Remind me not to ever do that again, Mamo-chan." The roses fell away to reveal the odango adorned blonde.

"Are you okay," Tuxedo Kamen asked without his usual bravado. What did he need bravado for with just the two of them?

"Yeah, I am." Her blue eyes grew very large. "Are you?" She fairly attacked him, forcing his arms and neck to bend and making him stick out his tongue (to make sure it's still a healthy pink). As soon as she was satisfied she stepped back and glanced around. "Where are we?"

Mamoru took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I don't know." He felt his stomach clench when Usagi's face began to scrunch up. "Usako?" The scrunching continued.

"Mamo..." Then the wailing began.

This time it was his heart that clenched. "Usako, we'll get out of this!" After all, they had to, didn't they?

The wails stopped, but the tears and scrunchie face stayed firm. "You promise," she sniffled.

Make it stop. Make her happy again. No tears. "I promise."

"Oh, Mamo-chan!" She threw herself at him, forcing him to either catch her or let her fall. He chose catching. She clung as if she were in the grips of the worst terror she'd ever faced, but when she pulled back a small sweet smile sat on her lips. "We should get going."

Mamoru smiled back, then took a good look around. Wherever they were, it was a desert. The sky was oppressive gray. Lightning splashed liberally in the distance. Every direction looked the same with the broken bottles of miniature mountains encasing them in the teeth of the earth.

Usagi pulled on his hand. Why not? One direction was as good as the other.

The sky was overcast to the point of concealing whether it was day or night. Mamoru assumed day, since there was some light to go by. Besides, wasn't it just daytime at Tokyo Tower?

"You see that?" Sailor Moon asked, yanking Mamoru out of his reverie. She pointed to a tower of rock that rose into the sky. "That's where we're going."

"Why?"

"Because-"

A screech somewhere between a train derailing and a wolf howling sliced the air, just before something with a deadly feel to it swiped at them.

Tuxedo Kamen felt himself drop and roll out of reach. Usagi wasn't as fortunate. She was lying face down in a pool of blood. "Usako! No!"

The thing swiped again. This time it caught Tuxedo Kamen in the shoulder. The pain exploding in his arm was only background to the ache in his heart. He flung a vortex of roses at the beast, but it kept coming.

Pa-King!

Darkness...