Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Magic Knight Rayearth Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of the Absent Moon ❯ The Past, Relived ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Date: June 21, 2002

Disclaimer: All characters, places and quotes of Magic Knight Rayearth are copyright CLAMP, Kodansha, Dentsu, YTV, TMS-K & Anime Works. All Sailor Moon references and characters belong to Naoko Takeuchi, TOEI, Kodansha & Pioneer.

Shadow of the Absent Moon
- The Past, Relived -

The moonlight filtering in kissed Mamoru's features with an ethereal glow. Usagi held her breath, afraid to wake him.

His only movement was soft breathing and Usagi was content to merely watch him as she grew lightheaded from not taking a breath of her own. Her fingers hovered over his lush eyelashes without touching. Oh, how was it possible to love someone so much?

"We're meant to be together! It's fate!" Usagi felt her heart breaking as she watched Mamoru close his eyes and ball his hands into fists. "Don't you remember what it was like on the Moon?"

"It doesn't matter what it was like then," he began in an iron-cast tone. "I just don't feel that way about you now, Usagi-san."

Usagi-san?!

What happened to Usako?

"But, Mamo-chan-"

"No!" He swiped an arm in a separation gesture. "I don't love you. There isn't anything else to be said."

"But-"

"Just go and please don't come back."

Usagi blacked out for a moment. When she was able to focus again she was staring at Mamoru's closed door.

"Mamo-chan!" She pounded on the door. It had to be a dream. "Mamo-chan, don't do this to me!" If she just pounded hard enough she'd wake up. "Please! Please... don't leave me..."

She slid to the floor and cried until there simply were no more tears. Then, she rose and quietly made her way through the streets of Tokyo.

Control. She had to stay in control. It would be alright. It had to be.

Why wouldn't the awful dream end?

Her control slipped just as she made it into the relative safety of a telephone booth and she learned that her tears had renewed their supply as she wandered.

"Oh, mom. I guess I can't invite him to dinner after all."

Usagi woke from the memory, gasping for air. She clamped down on the sound, checking to see if Mamoru had woken up. He hadn't, but now he had his head turned leaving only his scant profile visible.

"Don't turn away," she breathed almost silently. "I can't go through that again. My heart would shatter."

"Girl from another world?" The voice was soft, but had a pleading edge to it.

Usagi scanned the room. Except for Mamoru and herself, it was empty. "What?" she whispered tentatively.

"Please... Please, you must help me."

Now, there was a request she could relate to. "How?"

"Come to me," came the reply. "I am here." The word "here" contained all the knowlege Usagi needed to find the owner of the voice. She stood up, tugged the wrinkles out of her uniform, and then froze as her eyes landed on the slumbering Mamoru. Her heart contracted painfully. "Don't leave me. I'll be right back," she mouthed. Then, "I love you," in the slightest voice she could muster.