Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter three:

Carlos walked back to his refuge at a faster pace than usual. He thought he would never be able to get away from that girl. What scared him the most was that he wasn't sure he wanted to get away.

"{Proud of what you've done?}" Guardian asked as he landed on Carlos' shoulder.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"{It is not my duty to teach you etiquette Warrior. But I have to say, you have been quite rude to that girl}."

Carlos stretched out his arm so Guardian could hop over and talk face to face. "Look, I don't want to waste any time getting to now people. After all, how long will I stay here?"

"{The average time for most warriors is a few days}," Guardian replied, "{But some have stayed in the realm of the living for decades. Besides, you said you wanted a normal existence, and what's normal for mortals your age is to socialize}."

Carlos flung Guardian away, "Keeping people away from me was normal when I was alive!" He stuck his hands into his pockets and quickened the pace, he was in no mood to talk any longer.

Guardian glided overhead, he shook his head. He knew that it would be best for the warrior to keep away from mortals, on the other hand, letting that violet-haired girl get closer to him would do a world of good. The crow sighed, this was one question that had no easy answer.

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

Blaze took a good look at the device Dr Hawkins had taken out of storage. It was a strange combination of a dentist and electric chair. "So... What is this gizmo supposed to do again?"

Hawkins was placing some info into the computer. "For the tenth time Blaze. This apparatus is meant to grant the subject the ability to contain, charge and emit large amounts of energy."

Blaze nodded, "Gives a guy super powers you mean?" He took a look at his clothing. "You think I should ditch the jacket and go for tights and a cape?" Blaze placed his fists over his waist and stuck out his chest as he said that. Hawkins face-faulted. "By the way Doc. Ya think you can shed a little light on something for me?"

"It depends," said Hawkins unemotionally "What would you like to know?"

"It's about the bird man," Blaze started as he sat down. "All of us were granted something by the boss. He lets Chris act violent, Willy used to get a big paycheck, I can be my happy-go-lucky self, and Kara..." he cleared his throat, "They know what they're doing." He posed like Rodan's thinker. "But what Paul said intrigued me. What does the boss owe him exactly?"

"Ah," Hawkins turned to Blaze, "the jester is becoming inquisitive I see. Very well, what can you tell me about Paul's personality?"

Blaze thought for a while "Well, he's always saying that his duty is to liberate people from pain. That once they have a bad experience, they will suffer from nightmares the rest of their lives. Sorta like a horse funeral."

"That is correct. But there's something else to this." Hawkins pointed out "Did you ever consider Paul's own suffering?"

Blaze looked up, "You know me Doc. How am I gonna notice something like that?"

Hawkins rolled his eyes. "With the range of your attention span, it's probably moot to explain this. But I'll humor you if it keeps you quiet."

"Deal Doc."

*****

Dark Feather tower:

"First of all Miss Meioh, I must say that I am pleased of finally meeting somebody from such an extraordinary profession as is astronomy." Poe said as he poured the tea.

"Domo arigato, but I must tell you that my line of work is not that exiting. In fact, it can be quite boring at times." During those times, Setsuna wondered whether she should have kept her job as a school nurse.

"I'm afraid you will never convince me of that," Poe replied, "But let us get down to business. I understand that your budget for the upcoming year has been severely tightened."

"Hai, our financial situation seems to get worse by the day. Amateurs with binoculars have a better chance of discovering new systems than us."

"Well then." Allen took out a folder and slid it to Setsuna, "I took the liberty of making out a new budget, I hope that the figures please you."

Setsuna read what was inside. One of the few things she couldn't see were small details, and these often held big surprises, this was one of them. "Ara…You must be joking. An amount like this could-"

"Everything I do with my money is always serious Miss Meioh," Poe replied in an equally serious tone, "I always go as far as I can in every project I set myself into and this will be no exception."

Setsuna still couldn't believe it. "Poe-san, you will be responsible for taking Japanese research into the next millenium. I don't know how to thank you for this."

"I'm sure one of us will think of something."

The secretary came in at that moment. "Poe-sama, it's time for your board meeting."

"Thank you I'll be right there. Well Miss Meioh, as you can see I have to go run my business." He stretched his hand at her, "It has been a pleasure."

"Likewise Poe-san."

Once Setsuna left, Poe pressed a few buttons in his computer. He raised an eyebrow as he checked the figures that came up. {Indeed Miss Meioh, an interesting pleasure}.

*****

"I'm afraid Setsuna-mama won't be able to work with you until tomorrow," Hotaru said to Ami as they walked to her house. "She has this meeting today and later she's going to pick up Haruka-papa and Michiru-mama at the airport."

"That's too bad," the azure-haired girl commented, "She's really got a talent when it comes to computer programs."

Makoto, who met the other two a while ago, noticed something amiss in Hotaru's manner. "What's wrong short stuff? You look even gloomier than usual."

Hotaru was a bit reluctant to answer, she didn't quite understand her behavior herself. "Well…you know of the new student that was just transferred today. Ne, Makoto-san?"

Mako tapped her chin, "Hai, the Mexican kid, Navarro Carlos. I understand he is in a higher grade than you," Mako's eyes suddenly lit up, "And why are you asking about him?"

Ami narrowed her eyes at her friend, "Mako-chan, I thought you said that you were over your sempai."

"Hai, but I didn't say completely. So what's the story?"

Hotaru rolled her eyes, "It's nothing of the sort Usagi, Minako-san or you would think about." She calmed down a bit and retold the events which occurred over the last couple of days. "I wanted to make sure he's okay. But every time I try talking to him, he finds a way to elude me."

"Just like a moment ago," Ami added, "he took advantage of the fact I wanted to talk to Hotaru-chan in order to leave."

Makoto crossed her arms, "You know, now that you mention it. I ran into his teacher after school and we talked a while. It seems that he almost got into a fight in three separate occasions."

Ami's eyes went wide, "On the first day? Not even you were that hyper."

"Che. Anyway, I also heard some of my students. They're already making up gossip about him and saying that everybody should keep a way from him."

"Oh." Hotaru's visage became even more somber. Ami placed a caring hand over her young friend's shoulder.

"Hotaru-chan, you're afraid he'll be treated the same way you were, ne?"

Hotaru shook her head slowly, "Ie, I'm afraid he wants to be treated that way."

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

"Okay, let me see if I've got this straight." With Blaze's constant jokes and interruptions, plus the work he had to do, Hawkins had to retell the story four times. It was amazing how he managed to keep his temper. "The birdman believes victims should be freed from nightmares. He also wants to be released from his own, but as a catholic he can't kill himself."

"Correct," Hawkins completed "and Mr. Poe promised Paul that if he worked for him. He would eventually find someone strong enough to 'free' him."

Blaze nodded "Sort of like the main character in fighting games who's looking for the ultimate opponent, huh?"

Hawkins scratched his chin, "It's a curious way to explain it, but, yes." He pressed one last series of buttons. "Very well, we're ready to begin."

"Well its about time," Blaze said with annoyance, "Did you really have to input everything plus my great-grandma's maiden name?"

"This is a very complex and delicate procedure Blaze. Nothing must be left out."

Blaze crossed his arms, "Well if it's so damn delicate. Why choose me of all people for this?"

Hawkins took out a folder and waved it in front of Blaze's face. "Because test show that you are the best candidate." Blaze was blank again, so the doctor explained, "It's true that you have no strength, dexterity and your fighting skills are pathetic."

"Thank you for reminding me Doc." Blaze said with a smirk.

"However," Hawkins pointed out "Your level of stamina is surprisingly high. Plus, you have a great tolerance for pain. Though lately I've developed a theory in which your fragmented mind just ignores it."

Blaze frowned a little "Guess that's a compliment." All of a sudden his eyes lit up. "Wait a min- What do you mean with pain tolerance?" As he finished saying this, metallic ribbons sprouted from the seat, holding Blaze down. "HEY! What the Hell's going on here?"

Hawkins walked up with a wicked smile. "In order for the transference to be successful, the nerve system must begin totally alert. Which means, no anesthetics." Blaze broke into a cold sweat. "Not to worry. You'll probably pass out before too long. Besides, you might thank me later."

Blaze was about to reply, but all that came through his lips was a scream.

*****

Somewhere in Juban, a little after sundown:

Haruka drove the way home from the airport, Michiru at her side and Setsuna in the back. Haruka was keeping a grim demeanor on the way back.

Setsuna leaned forward. "Lighten up Haruka-san. Hotaru-chan is looking forward to seeing you again, you don't want to carry that face when you see her, do you?"

Haruka turned her head back a little, "Of course not. It's just that I been going through a nasty losing streak lately."

"Your last few were finished in second." Michiru quipped. "I wouldn't call that losing streak, it's just..." she searched for the proper word "...a little downfall in your career."

Haruka shook her head. "I don't know. I guess I'm getting past my prime."

Michiru rested her head on her lover's shoulder, "Hmm, That point might be debatable."

Setsuna rolled her eyes and leaned back on her seat. "You two are impossible. You know that?"

Somewhere nearby, a lone dark figure sitting on the edge of a building. Carlos face was strangely serene, but this didn't last very long. "Chinga-What's the use for this? We should be tracking down Chris and the others instead of these stupid exercises!"

"Caw!"

The Guardian's voice yelled in his mind. "{If you are to succeed in your mission, you need to exploit all of your abilities. Your predecessors were all able to harness them and you will be no exception}." The Guardian ruffled his feathers. He was perched on the other side of the building looking towards the opposite direction from which Carlos was facing "{Seeing through my eyes is one of the simplest exercises}," he said more calmly, "{now clear your mind and let us both think as one}."

Carlos took a deep breath, he positioned himself in a lotus position, shut his eyes and let his mind wander. He tried to empty his head but images of his murderers kept appearing.

"{Control your emotions}," the Guardian stated, "{they're supposed to strengthen not hinder you}."

Carlos wordlessly agreed. It took a little time and eventually the images faded. Now, the shadow of a young girl appeared. Carlos punched a hole in the floor from exasperation, "I can't do this!"

"{Yes you can, and the sooner you understand your feelings for that girl, the sooner you'll progress}."

"I don't have any feelings for her!" Carlos grumbled, "Why did I have to crash into her in the first place?"

Guardian shook his head, "{Never mind that, now clear your mind}." It took a few minutes, but Carlos' mind was finally clear of thought. "{Good, now I'll start sending the image, but it's up to you to keep the connection}." Carlos didn't answer, but this was okay. Guardian didn't want his ward to suffer a step back.

Carlos saw a path form in his mind. No, it was a paved road, wait, it was the street. Buildings and street signs fell into place as in a jigsaw puzzle. Before long, the whole picture was in his mind.

"At this moment you're looking at a building." Carlos stated "The sign is red and it reads 'hotel'."

"{Correct}" Guardian looked another way "{Now what do we see?}"

"An empty corner, nothing outstanding just... wait! A dog just ran through."

The Guardian was proud "{Very good, one more and we're done for tonight}." He set his sight somewhere else.

"A woman's walking down the street. Her dress is simple, she seems to be in a hurry and" Carlos frowned "she's scared. The darkness frightens her."

The Guardian's eyes widened in surprise "{You can sense her emotions? You're a lot better than I thought}."

"Actually, I got that from the way she's looking in all directions frantically."

Guardian sighed, "{At least you are perceptive warrior}."

Carlos chuckled. They both kept vigil over this woman until she suddenly disappeared into an alley.

"Hey!" Carlos didn't need any sort of power to know what happened. He hurried to where the woman last was.

Guardian called out: "{Warrior!}" but stopped himself. The rules, he couldn't interfere with the warrior's decisions. He flew off to follow. "{Even if I could, I doubt he'll listen}."

She hated going through this place. The darkness and decay scared her. She wished she didn't have to but there was no other way. Her family needed the money, with her husband being in the hospital. All of her life she reject these places and the people who lived there. But now there was no choice.

Suddenly she felt an iron grip on her shoulders and her feet lifted from the ground. She closed her eyes and when she opened the again, she almost fainted. Holding her was a gigantic brute, reeking of sweat and cheap alcohol. Behind him was a rather skinny man, five o'clock shadow and holding a switchblade. And farther behind was a young boy, no older than fifteen, his face depicted insecurity.

The brute's lips broke into a crooked grin "It seems we caught ourselves a big one. Taeki, check the purse."

The skinny man did so and, to the woman's horror, a look of disappointment appeared in his face. "Nothing but pocket money here. She's not worth waiting in this stinky alley."

"Oh, I don't now," the brute said as he eyed his victim lustfully, "We might be worthwhile in other areas."

Tears started forming in her eyes "No... Please-" her mouth was covered by a filthy hand.

The brute turned towards the young boy "Hey Shiro! Come on, you get to pick first."

Shiro was taken by surprise "F-first pick of what?"

"You know what baka!" the brute growled as he grabbed the woman's crotch. "You want to become a man right? So act like one!"

Shiro gulped, he knew very well what happened when the brute got angry. Plus, he wanted acceptance. He looked at the woman, who was openly shedding tears. Feeling unsure he stepped forward.

"Take another step and you're a dead man Shiro."

All four turned around to find Karasu. The marks on his face appeared darker and his eyes spilled forth hatred and rage. Guardian landed on his shoulder. The spread wings gave him a more sinister look.

Taeki looked over at the leader. "Looks like someone's ready for a masquerade party." He walked over to Karasu, threatening him with the knife. "Listen kid, if you know what's good for you, you're leaving no-urk!"

Karasu grabbed Taeki by the neck and Yanked the blade from his hand. His gaze pierced into the skinny punk. "If you knew what was good for you, you wouldn't be preying on innocents."

"{Leave now and you will save your lives}."

Taeki looked around nervously, "Nani? Who said that?"

Karasu tightened his grip, "They're not going anywhere Guardian and they won't live beyond tonight."

Shiro, the woman and the brute heard a gurgling sound coming from their companion. Before either could react, Karasu threw Taeki at their feet. They almost lost their lunch when they saw what the warrior had done. Karasu had driven the knife into his navel and carved him open, spilling out his bowels. Shiro was frozen in place and the brute was so frightened his grip on the woman got loose. Feeling this she took the chance and made a run for it.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?" He tried to grab her again, instead someone grabbed him. He felt an incredible pain as blunt fingers ripped into his flesh.

"She is free to go where she pleases." Karasu said with an unholy voice "You stay here and pay for your sins."

The brute broke free and took a fighting stance. "Maybe you killed my buddy. But you'll see that I'm not so easy!" He charged at Karasu, a quick jab to the face, punched the stomach, uppercut, left hook to his nose and several more punches. Karasu put up no defense and fell after receiving the barrage. The brute stood over him gloating. "Guess you're not so tough after all, ne?" He grabbed the undead by the hair and pulled him up. He saw his face, bloody, torn lips, a broken nose and his eyes starting to swell. He was about to laugh when Karasu's face suddenly broke into a wicked grin. The blood seeped back into his wounds as they disappeared. The brute let go as the other grabbed the front of his shirt.

"That's was a lame display my friend," Karasu mocked as he cocked his arm, "Now let me show you how to punch."

Michiru looked at Setsuna to confirm what she just heard. "Giant roaches?"

Setsuna nodded, "That's what Hotaru-chan and the others said." She shuddered "And I don't even want to picture them."

Haruka snorted "And you believe there's a new organization behind the attacks."

"From what Ami and Makoto-chan found at the hospital, yes," Setsuna affirmed, "This time however, we are dealing with science, not magic."

Michiru nodded in recognition. "Like the death-busters, ne?" She smiled at the other two. "At least they should be easier to handle than Galaxia," her smile grew brighter, "plus, last time we fought that kind of an enemy we received a great reward." She meant of course their daughter, Hotaru.

Those words filled Haruka with warm memories of Hotaru's joyful, though brief, childhood. She was about to relate a funny anecdote when the three saw a woman running down the street as fast as she could. "What's her hurry?" Haruka asked.

Michiru tried to keep the woman on sight. "I don't know, she seems to be running away from-" something hit the window suddenly. "EEK!"

"Michiru!?"

"I'm okay it's just that something..." her face went blank, "Haruka, stop the car, now! "Haruka didn't understand, but did so. Both Setsuna and her turned to Michiru to ask what was wrong. The answer was already there. On the window was a large crimson stain. Everyone ran out of the car and back to the spot where they heard the bump. When they found what they were looking for, Michiru instinctively went into Haruka's arms, who tried her best to comfort her love. There in the middle of the street laid a severed head. Setsuna gulped, she reached forward to examine it. There was a depression on the face, indicating a strong blow, what scared her was the tears around the neck. "No weapon was used. His head was literally knocked off." She got up "Whoever did this must be incredibly powerful." Haruka was about to question when they heard a scream coming from the alley nearby. They knew what had to be done.

Shiro couldn't believe what he just saw. The weirdo with the make up punched his leader and sent his head flying away. And now he was heading straight for him! Instinctively he reached for the gun he was carrying, but Karasu snatched it with a quick motion. "I'm in no mood to be shot tonight." He tilted his head "Besides, it would do you no good." He checked the gun, a beretta. "You got extra ammo?" he asked as he reached into Shiro's jacket. He pulled out a magazine. ". Now how about your boss." He pressed his foot onto Shiro's stomach and leaned over to the beheaded corpse. "Yep, here's another piece," he stood upright, put one gun and ammo into his coat and aimed the other at his victim, "Now say goodnight."

The sight of the barrel pushed Shiro over the edge. "IE! I didn't do anything!"

"But you were going to and that's why you're paying! And screaming will gain you nothing."

"It will gain him more than you expect."

Now it was Karasu's turn to turn around in surprise. Standing before him were three of the outer senshi; Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Pluto.

Guardian's beak gaped open when he saw these three, "{I suggest we flee warrior, you are no match for the senshi of the outer system}," having said that, he flew away.

"The senshi." Karasu nodded "that's six down and three to go I believe." He turned his attention back to Shiro "If you ladies don't mind. I've got to give this creep a lesson in justice."

Pluto stepped forward, "It's not justice you are delivering, but misguided anger and death. This misconception will condemn you as it did many others before you."

The undead teen looked back at Pluto, more surprised than before. The other senshi were wide-eyed as well. How could she know about him? He shook his head and assessed the situation. One against three and he knew nothing about them, serious disadvantage. Guardian was right, he had to leave.

Before the outers could make a move, Karasu made a gigantic leap towards the wall. They watched in amazement as he bounced off them and made his way to the roof. Uranus took charge of the situation "Pluto, you stay with the kid. Neptune follow me."

Pluto tried to warn her companions but they were already gone. She wanted to follow but Uranus was right, someone had to comfort the child. She went over to Shiro, who was on the ground, sickly pale. "Don't worry, everything's fine now."

Karasu knelt on the roof, a stone on each hand. He knew they were going to follow him. They seemed that kind. And he was ready. As soon as the senshi showed up he fired. The blonde one avoided the projectile easily, the aqua-haired wasn't as fast. The stone struck her right on her knee. And he threw it with enough force to draw blood.

"Gahh!"

"Neptune!" Uranus ran to her love, momentarily forgetting about the kabuki. Neptune clenched her leg, tears in her eyes. "I'm all right, it's not serious." She looked up to see their foe getting away "You better get a move on if you plan to get that guy."

Uranus smiled and gave Neptune a quick kiss. "I'll come back for you." She went off.

Karasu ran and jumped over the rooftops with an agility that surprised even him. He was still getting used to all these new powers he obtained with his rebirth. {I'll definitely have to talk with Guardian about this}. He came to a stop, thinking that the senshi had probably given up on him.

Guardian landed on his shoulder a moment later, "{Could I suggest we keep retreating?}"

"Vamos, I got a good head start, and with the speed I kept, there's no way she can reach me." He then heard the air whoosh over him and saw Uranus landing a few feet in front of him, Star sword at the ready.

"{Warrior, meet Lady Uranus, rider of the wind}."

"I don't know who you are or how Pluto seems to do. But I'm not forgiving you for what you did to Neptune."

Karasu laughed and went into a fighting stance "A challenge, huh? Think you can take me?"

"Considering how you ran off, hai," Uranus taunted.

"Back there I was outnumbered. Here, we're one-on-one," Karasu retorted, confidence in his voice and on the smile on his face. Confidence which made Guardian wince and Uranus nearly doubt her wisdom when she saw those black eyes.

Uranus made first offense, swinging her sword. A light attack, she wanted answers not blood. She was surprised to see that the boy didn't dodge, in fact, he grabbed the blade with his bare hands. Followed by an elbow into her chest. She fell back. This kid was definitely as strong as Pluto had suspected. She saw Karasu standing over her grinning.

"Now, since I can't have you following me, I guess- OW!" Carlos had felt a sharp pain in his hand. He took a look at it. He examined the wound caused from holding the sword. Why did it hurt? Then he realized. The wound wasn't healing!

"{That weapon is the Star sword, a mystical artifact. Such items can harm or even kill you!}"

Karasu's initial confidence sunk like a stone. "Que qué!?" He almost didn't react when Uranus took another swing at him. This time he tried to avoid it completely, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"{I wasn't expecting you to fight her!}" Guardian answered as he flew off in a hurry.

{Who is this guy talking to? The crow?} Uranus noted how this person's demeanor changed from over-confident to fearful, plus, he was apparently talking to a bird. He had to be crazy, to say the least. She made a downward swing; Karasu evaded and countered with a knee toward her midsection, direct hit. Uranus stumbled a little from the pain, {Crazy perhaps, but he can fight that's for sure}. She planted her left foot and threw a kick.

Karasu received the kick right in his chest; it hurt more than he expected. He knew he was in trouble. This lady was stronger than he expected; knocking her out would take some time. Plus, he didn't count on her sword actually killing him. He countered with a series of punches and hoped a plan came to mind.

Uranus evaded some punches, blocked others and a few hit. These few were enough to make her loose her temper. She took a wide swing with her sword; Karasu leaped back, a little too far. He landed right on the edge of the building, flaying his arms. "Ie!" Uranus tried to reach him, but it was to late, Karasu fell. She watched in horror as he landed on a street sign, ending up impaled. She jumped down. Uranus couldn't believe it, she let her anger cloud her and now they would never know who this person was.

Karasu kept still, letting her think she was approaching a corpse. {Vamos, get closer}.

Uranus went near the body. Maybe she could find something useful. As soon as her feet were next to his, she felt something trip her. Uranus fell, face first, and before she could turn she felt a blow on the back of her head. Everything went dark.

"Uranus? Uranus wake up!"

Uranus felt like her head was about to explode. How long had she been unconscious? She opened her eyes slowly and was greeted by the sight of an aqua-haired beauty.

Michiru gave a warm smile, "You took so long coming back that I decided to follow you." Her visage quickly changed to concern when she heard Uranus' moan, "You all right?"

Uranus' clutched her head, "Nothing some aspirin can't fix." Suddenly she remembered the events of a few moments ago. "Wait! Where's?" She looked towards where Karasu once laid. He was gone and the sign had been sliced with something. "My sword!" She hesitantly checked the blade for scratches, an unnecessary precaution, but it was her weapon.

"When we got here you were alone and unconscious. The masked one was long gone," was Setsuna's answer to unspoken questions.

"We would have gotten sooner, but my knee slowed us down." Michiru explained.

"That okay." Uranus said as she changed back into Haruka Tenoh. "What I'd like to know is how you seemed to know about him, Setsuna-san."

Setsuna noted the look on her friend's eyes. She noted Michiru had also shifted into interrogation mode. She sighed, "Let's go home first. I'll explain then."

A few blocks away. Carlos was lying in an alley rubbing his stomach. The Guardian stood in front of him. "{Are you all right warrior?}"

"I'm fine!" Carlos answered in a fowl mood, "My grandmother's salsa does more damage." He examined his hand; it had stopped bleeding at least. "Will this heal?"

"{Given time, yes}." He stepped closer to his ward "{The senshi are sworn defenders of this realm. As an outsider and a destroyer by nature, you oppose them completely. You shouldn't have been so impetuous}."

"Well if you had told me about them, this wouldn't have happened" Carlos said as he put his hand right in front of the Guardian's face.

"{I couldn't tell you about them}," Guardian answered calmly, "{There are certain things that I can reveal and others that you must seek for yourself. They're the Overlords' rules warrior, not mine}."

Carlos leaned back and took a deep breath. "What troubles me is what the one with green hair said. 'Not delivering justice, but anger' What does that mean?"

"{Do you remember what the boy you held said, what you felt as you touched him?}"

"He said that he didn't do anything. But that's no excuse," Carlos deadpanned, "But I did get a strange feeling from him. Something that was holding me back."

"{What you felt, was his innocence}." Carlos sat up with a start. "{Don't be surprised warrior. That child is in fact an innocent. He was just misguided because of bad companies}." Guardian jumped on Carlos' knee "{Does that sound familiar?}"

Carlos frowned at the bird's mock. But closed his eyes as memories flooded his mind.

*****

Mexico, Three years ago:

"Ándale Carlos." The pre-teen motioned for Carlos to hurry as he ran down the parking lot, a baseball bat in hand.

"I'm coming. Wait up Roberto." A younger looking Carlos jumped over the fence. He followed his friend. They both arrived at the reunion spot. Three others were there waiting, armed with sticks, bats and a lead pipe. Everyone was standing around a very fine looking car. One of them, probably the leader, came up to Carlos and Roberto. He was a bit older and wore a very subtle goatee.

"I was about to give up on you guys. Are you sure you've got what it takes to pull this off?"

"And miss the chance to get even at the principal?" Roberto said with mock hurt, "No way. We said we're in and we're in Jairo."

Jairo smiled. Then he turned to Carlos, his faced expressed doubt, plus, he didn't bring any sort of tool or weapon. "What's up Carlos? I thought you said your dad had a sledgehammer or something."

"Um, yes he does," Carlos answered with a nervous voice, "I guess I forgot to bring it along."

Jairo crooked his eyebrow, "Are you getting cold feet Carlos?"

"Of course not! It's just..." Carlos' arms dropped as he threw an exasperated glance towards the sky. "I don't see if this is really necessary."

Roberto put his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Vamos Carlos. The guy's been on your case ever since school started. And now he suspends you for a week. Don't tell me you don't wanna get even."

Jairo shook his head. "Forget it Roberto. Carla here doesn't have the guts to do it. He just can't be a real man." He gave Carlos a taunting gaze as he said that, it wasn't necessary.

Carlos frowned; he walked up to Jairo and grabbed the leads pipe from his hands. He stood in front of the car and raised the weapon. "You want to see if I've got what it takes?" anger feeding his words. He brought his hands and smashed the windshield into dust.

"Órale mi Carlos!" Soon, everyone joined the fun, destroying the vehicle.

****

"What you are saying is that I'm no different from that kid I threatened. Right?" Carlos asked as he came back from the flashback.

"{Not exactly the same. The way you were going, you would have ended up worse}." Carlos didn't hide his shock when he heard this. "{The important thing is, you have to focus your rage. Those two you slayed, had what they deserved. But I strongly recommend, save the punishment for the ones who murdered you and your family}."

Carlos nodded in understanding. "Okay. I'll try to keep under control. But mark my words," his tone left no room for doubt, "if I feel the opposite to innocence, Hell comes with me."

"{Just make sure you look before you leap, all right?}" Guardian scolded.

Carlos grumbled. "Well, if you knew about this. Why didn't you say anything?" The Guardian kept quiet, looking at Carlos in the eye. "Oh yeah, the rule that says some things I have to learn alone."

"{Yes. I can lead you to your enemies, teach you about your powers and that's about it}."

Carlos opened and closed his wounded hand. It was a bit sore, but nothing serious. He thought about the little brawl he had with Uranus. "Hey Guardian. You think with a little training I'll be able to stand up to the senshi? Maybe even beat one."

The Guardian sweat-dropped "{You can't be considering another encounter}."

"The occasion might arise." Carlos explained "And I don't want to be totally helpless."

Guardian nodded in agreement. "{With the proper training, yes, you can stand up to them}," his ward got up with eagerness, "{but the training starts tomorrow, even spirits and undead fighters need to rest you know. And you must promise never to take first offense}."

Carlos was a bit disappointed, but the crow was right. The bird flew searching for a resting-place and he followed.

*****

Outer senshi manor:

Hotaru lied on her bed with a book of French poetry in her hands. She made all the preparations for dinner and all she had to do now was wait for the others to arrive. She decided to pass the time reading as usual. Her mind however, was not focused on poetry.

She couldn't help thinking about Navarro-sempai. At first she was concerned with his health, now she was concerned about him. Those fears of him wanting to be utterly alone were true. Hotaru knew very well what it felt like to be a pariah. No one deserved that, even if that was what he seemed to be after. She really had to talk to him. But she had to respect her sempai's privacy, and she didn't want to give the others at school the wrong impression, her social status was already in jeopardy. Then again, Michiru-mama had told her that she should go out and make friends on her own; and Haruka-papa once said: "If you find a boy you like, go after him. Who cares what people say?" Hotaru snorted, she could never be that bold. She checked how much of the book she had read. She hadn't flipped a page in nearly a half hour. {Spent all this time thinking about a boy. I'm becoming Mina-san}.

Suddenly she heard the front door open and three sets of footsteps pass through the threshold. She dropped the book and ran downstairs.

"Haruka-papa, Michiru-mama! Welcome-" The joy Hotaru brought faded when she saw Michiru limp and Haruka's bruised face. "What happened to you two?"

"Oh, just a little encounter with a kabuki actor. Ouch!" Haruka rubbed her temple harder.

Hotaru's eyes went wide, {Karasu no shi}. "Come on. Sit down." She helped Setsuna take Michiru to the living room. Once seated, Hotaru placed her hands over Michiru's knee. There was a violet glow and the wound healed. She did she same to Haruka, before long, her face bared no mark.

Hotaru took a deep breath. "That's all I can do. The headache you'll have to take care of yourself." Haruka covered her face and answered with a moan. "Now," Hotaru started, "you say you met Karasu."

Now Michiru was surprised "You also now about him?"

"Hime-chan encountered him at the theater where Minako-chan works," Setsuna explained.

"And he didn't attack you?" Haruka asked.

"No, as a matter of fact, he saved Minako-san and her friend Saori-san. At least that's what Minako-san said." Hotaru frowned, "But why did he attack you and not us at the theater last night?"

Setsuna turned to her 'sisters'. "Actually, it was Uranus and Neptune who threw the first offense. My belief is that he had to act like he did out of self defense."

Haruka and Michiru glared back at Setsuna. Hotaru noticed and came to the rescue. "How about some dinner and then we discus this more calmly, huh?" she said as she gave her trademark kawaii smile.

Dinnertime was spent normally. Haruka talked about the race, Michiru related anecdotes and some tours they took, and Setsuna and Hotaru talked about everyday things.

"How about the four of us going out to dinner on Saturday?" Michiru proposed as she picked up the plates. "It's been a while since we've all done something together."

Two of the outers answered affirmatively, Hotaru's mind however, was somewhere else. Haruka noticed this. "Is something wrong Hime-chan?"

"Huh? Ie, it's just that…" Hotaru threw her head back and sighed, "Have you ever met someone that you knew needed help, but also knew he wouldn't accept it from you?"

Haruka thought for a while, "Ie, can't say that I have."

"Unless you count yourself," Michiru quipped. This earned her a 'no time for games' stare from her love. "Anyway, if you truly believe he needs your help, then give it to him. Even if he won't accept it at first, you have to insist." Michiru then realized something, "Who's he by the way?"

"Navarro-sempai. The knew student I told you about."

Haruka grinned mischievously at Hotaru, "Sempai huh? I think I smell something more than worry here."

Hotaru blushed furiously "Haruka-papa!"

Michiru came to her daughter's rescue. "Changing the subject. Setsuna-san, you said you would tell us about Karasu once we got home." Setsuna looked up at Michiru. "Well?"

Setsuna closed her eyes for a while, then she got up. "Ami-chan called me this afternoon. We'll be having a senshi meeting tomorrow." She started her way upstairs. "It will be better if I told everyone at once. I don't like to retell the same story." Setsuna left, leaving her sisters feeling annoyed.

"And since when do you like telling a story?" Haruka called out loud. Then she felt a thousand needles going through her skull. "Shouldn't have done that!" she moaned as she rubbed her temple for the Nth time.

Hotaru and Michiru laughed.

*****

Whirlpool Compound:

Allen sat on a chair in Hawkins' lab. There was an IV needle attached to his arm. He sat perfectly still. You couldn't even tell if he was breathing. In his mind he recited a mantra over and over. One that he had learned a long time ago, longer than one may think.

Hawkins' approached. He was about to rouse Allen, but stopped himself. Once he interrupted Allen's meditation and had suffered the consequences. And once was enough. He waited a few minutes, until finally Allen gave a deep breath. Hawkins spoke cautiously. "Mr. Poe? Here is the progress report you asked for."

Allen opened his eyes. A brief glow came out of them. "Yes Hawkins. How are our two 'volunteers' coming along?"

Hawkins held up a notepad he was carrying. "Blaze is doing well with the energy transfusion. His charge is up to 30% and the regulator armbands are being customized as we speak."

Allen nodded. "And Chris?"

"His body is accepting the prosthesis. All that's left is to arm the weapons."

"And when will they both be ready?"

Hawkins checked his notes again. "Hmm, it's hard to tell. Could take days or even weeks. Not only must their bodies adjust but their psyche. Not to mention they need a little time for training."

"Very well. Get back to work now Hawkins, I don't want any screw-ups, not when we're so close to the end."

"Yes sir." Hawkins made a short bow and left.

Allen closed his eyes and began a conversation with himself. {It's just a few more days; nothing compared to how long you've been waiting. True, but the closer you are to you goal, the more anxious you get. Yes indeed}. "Soon I'll have you, and your secret." Guttural laughter filled the room.

*****

At an abandoned house:

Guardian heard a noise and woke up with a start. He looked over at the source and saw Carlos in the middle of a kata. He grumbled and went back to sleep "{You don't require sleep warrior, but I do. Try to keep it down}."

"Why can't I feel them?"

Guardian stood up "{What?}"

"At the hospital I was able to sense Willy right away. And after I've slain him I felt Paul from somewhere farther away." He threw one last kick. "But he disappeared before I could follow him."

Guardian thought about this for a while. "{It is worrisome that their presence is hidden from our perception. In the past, mages could create defenses of such sort. But the belief in magic has become rare in this realm, and science is not yet that advanced. And the ones who slew your family clearly ignore both magic and science}."

Carlos was perplexed, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"{That someone more powerful might be behind all this}."

Carlos laughed, "No way. Why would a wizard want to off an average family?" His gaze darkened "My family was murdered because some creeps thought it was fun. And I will have my fun, tearing out their entrails!" He began to exercise again, this time with more fury.

Guardian shook his head. If the younger generations were willing to listen, such a different world this would be.