Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter eleven:

Whirlpool compound:

Allen Poe ground another handful of herbs. Once he had obtained a fine powder, he poured it into an already simmering bowl. He had been working on this particular ritual all through the night, since he'd gotten news from Takata's assassins. There was a knock on the door, but he paid no heed.

"Allen?" Kara called as she entered, "What are you doing darling?" she asked in a childlike tone.

"A simple incantation my beloved. I'll be with you as soon as I'm done with this." Allen took out a hand made map of Tokyo and placed it on the table.

"Ooh, you're casting a spell," Kara wrinkled her nose, "Honey, can't you make a potion that doesn't smell like Chris after a workout?"

"Sadly, the elaboration of perfumes is an art I've never been able to master." Allen took out a brush and began spreading the mixture over the map. His movements were intricate and each one had its meaning. Although to Kara's eyes, it seemed as he was just covering the same spots over and over. She strained her ear and noticed that he was humming a strange tune; it sent shivers down her spine.

Allen's recitation was said in an arcane language. Roughly translated, it would go something like this:

"I seek forth the warrior of blood and bird of night.

I summon to me, the one with no heart and no soul.

Now your true face has been revealed.

You have no choice, but to heed my call."

"That was a creepy rime Allen," the mocha-skinned woman noted, "I guess it serves it serves for an equally dark purpose, which is…"

"Which has something to do with Karasu no shi. The moment I learnt exactly what kind of a warrior he is I knew that I could use this spell." His eyes widened with pain suddenly as he clutched his chest, he fell to the floor.

"Allen!" Kara rushed to his aid. She kept close to him as his breathing went back to normal. "Allen, how long have you've been working at this?" her tone was unusually serious.

"Only a few hours," he answered weakly, "Don't worry, I'm done with the physical work. All that's left to do now is wait." The mixture needed to dry up in order for the magic to kick in, and that would take nearly a day. Plus the final results would not be obtained for a while afterwards. Allen struggled to get up, "Well, back to running a conglomerate."

"You're staying here and you're getting some sleep," Kara ordered, "All those accountants and lawyers you have will have to get the job done by themselves." Allen was about to protest but was silenced beforehand, "You are in a delicate condition, and chasing after Karasu has made it worse. Get some rest, you need it." Allen sighed and gave a gentle smile. It amazed him still how this woman had managed to reach his heart.

"You're right my love," he kissed Kara and let her carry him to his bed.

Once Kara made sure Allen was asleep, she made her way out quietly. Once outside she dropped back against the wall and sighed exasperatedly.

"Well, there goes a romantic evening," she snorted, "Why oh why did I fall for that man?"

That's obvious, her subconscious answered. You're insane.

*****

Juban Central hospital:

The board of directors at the hospital had decided to use part of the donation given to them by 'Dark Feather' to build an outdoors cafeteria. They said the natural surrounding would help soothe anxious visitors. It wasn't quite working on Haruka.

The rest of the group had arrived shortly after Michiru, Rei and herself. After receiving numerous compliments about their appearance, Phobos and Deimos related the previous events that had occurred.

"Somewhere along the fight, Karasu snapped out of his lunacy. But by then, princess Saturn had already been severely wounded," Phobos paused a while to let the three outer senshi assimilate the news, "When Karasu realized the critical condition she was in, he rushed her to the hospital, we helped."

"But once we arrived here and checked her in, he disappeared again," Deimos concluded, "We haven't seen him since."

"If he knows what's good for him, he better keep away," Haruka growled, "If I ever get my hands on him…" Michiru thought about scolding Haruka but held back, she was rightfully angry and needed to let it out.

"One of the doctors gave us a bit of information," the violinist said, changing the subject slightly, "Her wound seemed to be made by a blade or similar weapon. We thought it would be his katana, but then he said that there was a strange burn on her skin." She looked straight at the twins, "What did he use against her?"

"The ebon shears," Phobos responded, "One of the many ways darkness can be molded into a weapon."

"Darkness?" Usagi asked in a trembling voice, "Do you mean, negative energy?"

"He's an undead Usagi, it's what keeps him alive," Rei said, "But that doesn't make him evil." Usagi nodded understandingly. The young maiden leaned back into her seat. During the time she was waiting at the outers' manor, she'd felt a burst of that so-called dark energy. She didn't say anything then, but know… "Phobos-chan, Deimos-chan, I know you're not allowed to say much, but you should have warned us about Karasu no shi having such power."

"Your guardians had no idea that the warrior possessed such abilities, lady Mars."

Everyone looked up. There was the bird, perched on top of the parasol.

"Kashaku-kun!" Minako exclaimed, "Is Karasu here?"

"He is around, but will not come personally."

Carlos Navarro did attend the meeting. He sat way up above on the hospital's roof watching through the crow-vision.

So, Don Tenoh is Sailor Uranus. He chuckled. Figures, meeting two marimacho perras was too much of a coincidence. Now, let's see what we can learn.

"It's nice to see you again Kashaku-san," Makoto greeted, "I only wish it were on a happier occasion."

"Likewise lady Jupiter. Now, I believe you have some inquiries about the warrior."

"Hai," Mamoru answered, "We would like to know about his abilities and the reason for his sudden madness." Something dawned upon him, "One second. If you know who we are, then Karasu-"

"When lady Saturn revealed her identity, she unwillingly revealed all of you. My apologies your highness, but even though the warrior has agreed to reveal secrets about himself, his identity was not one of them."

"How convenient," Haruka commented sarcastically.

"Haruka, hush!"

"Princess Saturn knows who Karasu is," Deimos said in a cold voice, "Why don't you ask her?" Everyone looked at the blue clad twin in surprise, her sister more so. Kashaku ruffled his feathers and began his lecture.

"In every group or specie, there appear certain individuals who excel from the rest. Among Earth's mortals there have been people like Mozart, Van Gogh and Gandhi, to name a few. And just as some stand out among the living, others stand out in death."

Usagi's eyes widened "Wait a minute Kashaku-kun. Are you saying that Karasu is a sort of super zombie?"

The guardian sweat-dropped, "That would be a very improper title, your highness. No, the warrior is simply that, a warrior. He just possesses more power. I first suspected when he first fought lady Saturn and managed to hold his ground. Further clues started to convince me. And finally, I went to ladies Phobos and Deimos for assistance," he sighed, "Despite the law, I had to prevent another disaster from occurring."

"What kind of a disaster?" Setsuna inquired with keen interest.

"Warriors like Karasu no shi are extremely rare," Phobos began, "For some reason they have greater abilities than the rest."

"The price for this superiority however is a more unstable mind," Deimos continued, "The last warrior from this planet to have such power lost control completely. He became that which he was supposed to eliminate."

"A monster," Carlos stated to himself. He remembered how he had cruelly killed all those people back at the nest. Even though they had probably murdered thousands of times for money, they surely deserved something better than such a ghastly doom. A creature that can kill so quick and easily, without a second thought or a hint of remorse, is something truly frightening. But what really frightened Carlos, was the fact that becoming such a creature, was actually appealing to him.

"It's too soon right now," Usagi began, "but we must meet with Karasu again. We can't allow him to harm any innocents or himself. Perhaps once Hotaru-chan is fully recovered, ne Kashaku-kun?"

"I will speak to the warrior, I just hope that he agrees."

"Excuse me," a woman's voice called out, "I have news regarding Tomoe-san." Everyone present looked up, Ami got to her feet.

"Okousan, how is Hotaru-chan?"

"The cut wasn't too deep, although she did lose a large amount of blood," Dr. Mizuno said, trying to keep her tone as neutral as she could, "She's in her room now, unconscious but stable," she saw everyone get up, "No visitors, she needs to rest." This added statement resulted in disappointed mugs coming from the girls. The eldest trio insisted.

"Can't we see her for a little while?" Michiru pleaded, "Just the three of us." Dr. Mizuno shook her head.

"Okay, okay. A short while, and don't overwhelm her. She really needs the rest."

"Caw!"

Everyone started and looked up at the crow, who just flew up and away. Rei, and four others, got the message.

"I just remembered, I got to make some phone calls," Minako prompted as she latched herself onto Rei, "Wanna come with me Rei-chan?"

"Uh-"

"Sure you do, let's go." Both girls left, one being dragged and one dragging. Everyone sweat-dropped and Setsuna shook her head for their lack of subtlety.

"I guess the rest of us should go home," Makoto said while stretching, "Andre-chan and I have a meeting with the other teachers about the school's temporary locations. Usagi-chan, Mamoru-san, would you two mind giving me a ride?" she requested.

"Not at all Mako-chan," the blonde answered cheerfully, "What about the rest of you guys?"

"I'll wait for okousan to take me home," Ami responded.

"That may take a few hours Ami-chan," her mother warned.

"Perfect," the azure-haired girl grinned, "that means there's time to help in whatever I can." Dr. Mizuno smiled warmly; she then noticed Deimos and Phobos' presence.

"Oh hello, I believe you're new to the group."

"Not exactly," the red twin responded, "we've been Rei-san's friends for quite a while."

"And we're sorry to have to leave now," Deimos added, "We're getting a bit tired from staying on the ground for so long." This comment earned her a curious stare from Dr. Mizuno and an elbow from her sister.

Haruka coughed, "Mizuno-sama, could we see Hotaru-chan now?"

"Gomen, of course. Follow me." A moment later the group had dissipated.

*****

"She's right in here," Dr. Mizuno said as she opened the door. She stopped suddenly, her eyes scanning the room nervously.

"Is something wrong Mizuno-sama?" Michiru asked.

"Ie, I just thought I saw something," the doctor replied, "Well, I've got work to do. Please, try to be brief," saying that, she left.

Michiru approached and sat down beside Hotaru. An I.V. bottle was attached to her arm, and she looked paler than usual. On the good side, her breathing and pulse were strong and regular. She wiped away the bangs out of the young girls eyes. Her face depicted either anger or fear.

"Kuso, I hate to see her like this," Haruka muttered, "How could we let something like this happen?"

"She's growing up Haruka," her lover responded, "Little by little she will become more independent and face bigger dangers." Her face became serious, "And we won't always be there."

"I know that," Haruka said in a louder voice than she meant, "It's just that seeing her like that reminds me of when I tried to-" she swallowed hard, "-you know."

"All of us are guilty of that Haruka," Setsuna said sternly, "Taking all the blame for yourself won't do anyone any good. Especially not Hime-chan."

Thing went quiet for a while as the trio watched their little princess sleep. After a few more minutes, Setsuna spoke again.

"You know? We should call Reiko-chan. I'm sure it would cheer up Hime-chan to see her here."

"Hai," Michiru said, "and for that matter, we should also try and contact Carlos-san."

"That baka gaijin?" Haruka protested.

"That gaijin is Hime-chan's friend," the aqua-haired woman scolded, "And in case you haven't noticed. She doesn't have many of her own age."

"Che, if you had heard what he told me you wouldn't say that." The tension between the two began to grow. Michiru realized that this wouldn't do Hotaru any good.

"I guess we should leave know and let Hime-chan sleep," she got up and walked to the door, followed by Haruka. "Setsuna, are you coming?"

"I'd like to stay a while longer," the emerald-haired woman answered, "I'll take a cab home, don't worry." The other two nodded and left. Once her companion had left, Setsuna turned towards the shadows and called out, "You can stop hiding now." A moment passed before a male figure stepped out.

"Did you know I was here, or were you just guessing?" Carlos asked.

"Well sir, if you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you," Setsuna answered with her trademark grin.

Carlos chuckled as he approached the bed. He glanced at the result of his actions. It upset him to see such a pained look on that face. Slowly, his hand started to move closer to her.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Setsuna warned guessing his intentions, "If you do all the suffering you two have gone through will be for nothing." The dark-eyed teen glared back at her, then let out a deep sigh.

"Maybe you're right, but there's something I have to try." He raised his hand until it hovered just above Hotaru's brow. Please, please let me do something good, something that doesn't hurt. He gently touched her and withdrew his hand almost immediately. The girl tossed for a moment, and Carlos was afraid that he made yet another mistake. But then her lips broke into a tiny smile, Carlos smiled also.

"Eto, what did you just do?" Carlos didn't reply, at least not to Setsuna.

"Sweet dreams Hotaru," the undead teen whispered. He turned to Setsuna once more, "I have to go now," he told her as he headed for the window.

"Matte! Before you leave, Rei-chan, Mina-chan and I would like a word with you."

Carlos narrowed his eyes, "You're not still trying to draft me into your group, are you?"

Setsuna scowled, "For your information, I've always found that military method quite questionable. Look, all we want to do is talk. We might even help you feel better about yourself. Besides, I'm sure it would please Kashaku-san if you did this." Carlos stood silent for a while and then just shrugged.

"Ah, what the hell? I've nothing else to do anyway." Setsuna rolled her eyes and shook her head; nevertheless, she was pleased for his decision. She headed for the door and peeked into the corridor.

"The others are waiting on the rooftop along with the birds. Wait here until I find you something to wear." She just stood there blinking when she found out she was talking to no one. She grumbled annoyed. As if anyone is going to see him.

*****

Chris, Kara and Blaze were at an underground Goth-bar somewhere in Juban. The redhead downed his drink in one gulp.

"Quite thoughtful of the Doc to let us see how he feeds the drones. Those spitters really know how to make soup the easy way."

Chris nodded, "Yep, that they do. Personally, I prefer the way the skeletons eat their prey alive. There's something in screams of agony that gives me a warm feeling inside."

"I wholeheartedly agree," Kara said as she dipped her finger into her glass then sucked on it, "I only wish Hawkins would've sent them my way first. Some of then were really good looking."

"What? Allen's not satisfying anymore? I could help out in that area you know," Chris offered seductively.

"No thank you, Mr. Roboto," the dark-haired woman quipped. She took a sip of her drink and looked at the other patrons. Only a few were in their twenties, most of them were teenagers. Disgruntled children trying to get back at their parent by throwing themselves into vices. Kara looked into their eyes, many were bloodshot and lost, consequences of alcohol or drugs; many more tattoos and way too many piercings; and a large group had masked their faces with black make up.

"I'm starting to think that I'm the only murderer who hasn't seen Karasu no shi in person."

"Don't get your hopes up," Blaze said, "Next time Chris and I meet him, he's dead…again."

"Oh really," Kara laughed, "If I remember correctly, he cleaned the floor with you two."

"Hey, the sailor broads were there also," Chris protested, "Besides, what could you do? Even with that armor the Doc's building you he'll finish you easily."

"I could give quite a fight all by myself. And don't you dare say anything about me being a woman."

"How about being a woman in love?" Blaze quipped and got a glare from Kara, "Face it chick, you're starting to grow soft, no matter how tough you talk."

"Exactly why women shouldn't be in this business. Love comes in and the edge is gone."

Kara grumbled, "Why I keep hanging out with a couple of pigs like you two, I'll never know. Implants or infusions, I'm still the leader and the deadliest." Chris narrowed his eyes as he extended his talons.

"Care to back up that statement." Kara smiled wickedly in response.

"Glad to." No sooner she said that, Chris feel on the floor shaking uncontrollably and moaning loudly.

"Chris! What's wrong man?"

"This," the mocha-skinned woman answered as the showed a silver ring next to the cloaking one, "Allen wouldn't make you guys stronger without giving me a way of keeping you under control. Plus," she looked down at Chris who was starting to get up, "he knows of your intentions towards me. How are you feeling honey?" she teased. The cyborg got up groggily and gave his partner a long hard stare.

"Bitch," he finally muttered.

"That's sweet," Kara joked, "Just for that, I'll make it up for you." She scanned the place once more. "See those girls," she was pointing at two very young ones, "I'll pick them up and we'll have some fun." She got up and Blaze followed her with his eyes.

"She's really something, isn't she?" the redhead commented.

"Yeah. And she raised a good point. Thanks to Hawkins, we now have an incredible power. Each of us alone could easily defeat a small military squad. If Allen made sure that she's got a way to stay on top of us, then he must have taken precautions as well." He drank the last of his beer. "It's scary to think how much strength he must be hiding. Don't you think so Blaze?"

"Yeah baby! Shake that booty! Hey Chris, you think Kara's willing get that one for us too?" The black-haired murderer slapped himself.

"Shut up Blaze."

*****

Rei Hino and Minako Aino stood at the hospital rooftop waiting for Setsuna Meioh. And perhaps, Carlos Navarro. The avian trio, Kashaku, Phobos and Deimos, were gliding above in wide circles.

"It's a bit funny, ne?" Minako began, "How all our confidants happen to be animals or at least take such shape." She remembered the Sailor animates and began to wonder whether each of the senshi had a link to those faraway planets. Rei brought her out of her musing with a comment of her own.

"Deimos is behaving oddly."

"You can tell them apart while they're crows?" the blonde asked wide-eyed, "I can hardly distinguish them against the sky."

The maiden giggled. "My sixth sense, silly, remember? They may look the same but their auras are completely different," she looked up again, "I guess it also has to do with the fact we've been together so long. I could tell them apart even if I wasn't Sailor Mars."

"That makes sense. And by the way, how is Deimos-chan acting differently?"

"It's nothing serious. Her flight pattern seems to shift somewhat whenever she glides close to Kashaku-san. He's the larger one, just so you know."

They both watched quietly for a few minutes before Minako spoke again.

"You think that's the way birds flirt?" Rei big-sweated as soon as the question reached her ears.

"Mina-chan, is that all that occupies your mind?"

"At least it's better than blood thirst, that's for sure."

Both girls turned and saw Carlos leaning next to the stairwell. Setsuna was also there, obviously surprised to see the boy.

"Señorita Meioh says you want to talk to me. I'm here, let's hear it."

All three longhaired females looked at each other confused. They never did consider what they were going to say to him. It was a few minutes until the raven-haired one finally spoke.

"Well, I guess I should start by saying that: We are upset because of what you did to Hotaru-chan." Carlos winced visibly at that comment. "But it's clear now that you acted unconsciously, we won't hold a grudge Carlos-san," she mentally slapped herself then, "Ara, gomen ne Setsuna-san. I didn't consider-"

"It's quite all right Rei-chan," the emerald haired woman assured, "My feelings are quite similar to what you just said. And you Carlos-san," she said to the boy, "what do you have to say about all this?"

"I wanted to kill her," he said flatly, "Maybe it was insanity what was leading me to do it. But I remember my bloodlust all too well." He dug his fingers into the cement guardrail. "I still have that lust, and only time can tell when it will break its reigns again."

Setsuna was quite astonished, if not terrified, at what she just heard. She nearly failed to keep a straight face. She had to try and reach out to this boy, for Hotaru's sake. Setsuna took a deep breath, she hated to do this, but for once, she was short on ideas.

"You're not the first who has tried to finish Hime-chan," the gatekeeper said with as calm a voice as she could manage.

"Oh that's obvious," the teen answered cynically, "You senshi must face all sorts of enemies all the time."

"But do you know who went after her before anyone else?" Carlos shook his head. The elder senshi gave the other two a look, which meant she wanted no interruptions whatsoever. "I did."

Carlos didn't suppress his shock. "Qué demonio? What are you talking about? Aren't you supposed to be her mother?"

"A fact which makes this a lot more painful," she said more to herself, "When Tomoe Hotaru was still just a girl and not a senshi. We thought her awakening as Sailor Saturn meant the end of the world. After all, she is the senshi of death and rebirth. So before that happened, we decided to destroy her. This was roughly three years ago."

Carlos made a quick calculation. "But that means… She was only eleven years old, twelve tops."

"Hai, we didn't care if she was just a child, whether her life was already filled with suffering or the fact that Usagi-tachi were all her friends. She was a threat to Earth and she had to be destroyed." She sat down next to Carlos, her ruby-eyes started getting misty, "We always believed that the end justified the means. As long as the mission was accomplished, it didn't matter which lives were sacrificed, innocents or ours. These beliefs have made me commit a lot of painful mistakes."

Carlos thought for a while before giving his answer. "Tell me. Did you have to, or want to destroy her?" The senshi of time had no idea how to answer that. He was right, passion and reason can make quite a difference in the end. Rei however didn't hold back. Stomping her foot, she yelled at the undead teen.

"Kuso! Can't you see that we're trying to help you?"

"And can't you see that I want Hotaru to be safe?" he snapped back, "I already told you, the madness is still in me. I nearly killed her once, I won't let it happen again!"

"You could do something about such madness," Setsuna said coolly, "Instead of just whimpering like a child." Carlos narrowed his eyes, their blackness intensifying. He gave said black stair to both Rei and Setsuna. The latter had to use all of her will power to keep her unfazed demeanor.

"Just keep Hotaru away," he said as he began to leave.

"Why such cowardice warrior?"

All four looked up. There were Kashaku and the twins, in crow form, keeping watch all this time.

"What the hell do you mean by that, guajolote?"

"Whenever you find a murderer, you immediately destroy him, without any sign of fear whatsoever. Now, you find a murderer within you, and are too scared to face him." Kashaku was nearly smiling; he could see that his words were having effect upon his ward. "You are afraid because you have no idea how to face this battle. Lady Pluto is offering you a method, listen to her." Carlos nodded. There was a point to the guardian's words. And above all, he was not a coward.

"Okay Señorita Meioh, what's your plan?"

"The feline guardians," the gatekeeper deadpanned.

"Cats?"

"Lady Luna and Sir Artemis? But how can they assist the warrior?"

"The problem we're dealing with is inside your head, they posses special abilities in that area."

Minako snapped her fingers. "That's right! Luna-chan caused our memories to resurface during the doom tree incident," her mood then changed, "But wait, do you think we should let them know about Carlos-kun being Karasu no shi?"

"If Luna-chan learns this, there's the risk of Usagi and Mamoru-san knowing," Rei pointed out, "And they definitely mustn't know yet. So we will only tell Artemis-kun." The blonde nodded in agreement. "Do you agree with this plan, Carlos-san?"

"I'm not quite sure if there is a plan." Even after all he'd been through, Carlos was still skeptical about things like this. "But you're right, I should find a solution instead of just complaining." He wiped his hand over his face and became Karasu. "Bring this Artemis guy, or cat whatever, to my place. Tomorrow at noon."

"Your guardians know the way to the nest, Lady Mars," Kashaku indicated as he took off.

"Matte, Carlos-kun! There's one more thing," Minako called out.

"Si?" The blonde gave out a gentle gaze.

"Go visit Hotaru-chan. Seeing you will do her a lot of good." Karasu said nothing; he just gave a tremendous back flip, off the roof and over the edge.

"Ie!" The trio ran over to see him fall but found no one. Rei huffed.

"Well, his sense of humor is returning. That has to be a good sign."

"Indeed it is," Setsuna added, "And Mina-chan, I don't mind you playing matchmaker. But please, keep Hime-chan out of your games!"

"Gomen," Minako said sheepishly. But I don't think those two need my interference at all.

*****

All the while Usagi, Mamoru and the others were at the hospital, Luna had stayed up waiting for the couple to return. At least as long as she could. She'd worked all day along with Artemis and Ami to find out more about Hotaru's probable ailment. A labor that brought them no more knowledge than they started with. This, plus her worry for the violet-eyed girl had left her exhausted. So she was asleep by the time Usagi and Mamoru came home. The rattle of keys roused her up.

"Tadaima," Usagi called out softly. The cat ran over to greet them.

"Usagi-chan, Mamoru-sama, how is Hotaru-chan?"

"According to Mizuno-sama, she will be all right," Usagi replied as she picked up Luna, "All she needs is to rest and recover her strength." The blonde girl walked up to the couch and let herself drop, "You could have come with us you know, instead of just staying here all alone."

"Usagi-chan, you went to a hospital. They don't let animals in there."

"You can always change into a human," Usagi retorted, "Phobos-chan and Deimos chan did, and spent the entire while with us."

"I don't know how it works for those two," Luna said annoyed, "But Artemis-kun and I can only change when it's extremely necessary."

"That's right Usako," Mamoru seconded, "Phobos-chan and Deimos-chan needed their human form in order to attend Hotaru properly. And to see that she was registered into the hospital."

Usagi blushed, "Ano, I guess I didn't consider that. Gomen Luna-chan."

"That's quite all right. But at any rate, what exactly happened over there?"

Usagi told all she knew. How Karasu no shi and Sailor Saturn had fought. That he was a reservoir of immense power, and that such power could cost him his mind.

"Ara, that's terrible," Luna exclaimed, "But, is there still a chance for him to be our ally."

"He didn't slay Hotaru-chan. And from the way Kashaku-kun spoke, I can tell he was sorry," Usagi broke into a bright smile, "I'm positive that we'll be able to help him and he'll become our ally."

"I wouldn't be so sure about us being able to help him Usako," Mamoru said suddenly. Usagi was puzzled by this comment. She looked into her Mamo-chan's eyes, they seemed deep with concern. Luna noticed this too and looked up at her charge to see something similar. She suspected the couple would appreciate some time alone.

"I'm turning in. Good night you two."

"Good night Luna-chan." As soon as the cat was gone, Usagi moved closer to her husband. "What's wrong Mamo-chan?"

"I was thinking about Karasu. And then I thought about other enemies that you and the rest had to face, enemies similar to him." The blonde blinked in confusion, Mamoru explained. "Do you remember how some of your foes were humans possessed by an evil force?"

"Hai, the ginzuishou's power was able to purify all of those people from the evil. Surely I could do the same for Karasu. If he lets me, of course."

"I thought about that too Usako, but then I realized another factor, where the evil comes from." Usagi was lost again. "All those others we've faced in the past were possessed by an outside force. Karasu's fury came from within. That darkness Kashaku-san told us about is a part of him. I you use the ginzuishou to eradicate it, he might just be destroyed as well."

"So… You think that there's no way we can help him." Mamoru raised his sight and saw the sad look in her blue eyes. He raised his hand and gently caressed her face.

"I was the one who volunteered to help Karasu, ne? There is way to aid him, all we have to do is look for it harder." He stood up and got Usagi to rise as well. "But that search will begin tomorrow. Let us rest for tonight."

Usagi reached up and kissed Mamoru. "Let us rest and dream of a brighter future."

*****

Outers' Manor:

'Twas nearly midnight when Setsuna finally got home. The sound of glass clinking caught her attention. "Who's there?" she called out as she made her way into the kitchen, "Ah, Michiru-san. What are you doing up at this hour?"

"I just came down for a glass of water," the aqua-haired woman replied, "What's your excuse for coming in so late?"

"Thoughts." Even though Setsuna had a talent for keeping her emotions hidden, the melancholy in her answer was too obvious to ignore.

She made her way to the living room and sat on her favorite chair. She did some planning along with the other longhaired senshi about how they would meet Carlos the next day. They decided that Rei and Minako should go the crow's nest alone. Setsuna should stay behind so that they wouldn't raise suspicion. After all, everyone expected her to pay her Hime-chan a visit. The only matter left was: when and how to tell the rest about Carlos Navarro being Karasu no shi. But that wasn't all that was on her mind.

She looked up and saw Michiru seated in front of her.

"If you're waiting for me to tell you what's on my mind, you're in for a long wait Michiru-san."

"I give violin and art lessons," Michiru reminded, "ergo, I also posses the virtue of patience. Something's troubling you Setsuna-san, and I won't leave you alone until I find out what."

The emerald-haired woman sighed in defeat. "Do you think it's a valid excuse? To do terrible things and say that in the end it's for the good of everyone. Is a worthy cause enough to redeem one from his or her crimes?"

"Are you talking about Karasu," Michiru narrowed her eyes, "or us?"

"Probably both."

"(Sigh) Setsuna-san, you're the one who said it, we are all guilty of trying to destroy Hime-chan. We wanted to destroy her. But thanks to Kami-sama's grace and thanks to Usagi-chan, we never did anything like that to her." She placed her hands on her 'sister's' shoulders, "We were blessed with great luck, please realize that."

"I do realize Michiru-san. But it wasn't our hunt for the dark messiah that I thought about. There are other things I don't feel so proud about."

"The search for the talismans?" although Michiru was almost sure that wasn't it.

"Ie, I mean things that happened before that." Setsuna nearly chuckled when she saw the expression on Michiru's face, "Don't be so surprised. I too once had a different life before the mantle of Sailor Pluto was bestowed upon me," she got up and made her way upstairs, "There are many things about me that you don't know." That you don't want to know. Michiru was left alone and confused.

Haruka became worried that her love hadn't come back right away. She was halfway downstairs when she heard the two talking in the living room. She had heard everything.

Before Setsuna came up, Haruka was already in her room. She recalled a part of the conversation she'd listened into.

"Is a worthy cause enough to redeem one from his or her crimes?…We never did anything like that to her… We were blessed with great luck"

Haruka sighed with heartfelt sorrow. She's right, we never did anything like that to her. It was up to me to do something worse. The sand-blonde turned out her lamp and lied down.

Something unusual happened that night. Tenoh Haruka, cried herself to sleep.