Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter Eighteen:

The chilly wind woke her up. The first thing she felt was grass underneath her cheek, followed by aching muscles. The pain was a good sign, it meant she was still alive. She opened her eyes at took a look at her hand.

No white glove, I must have changed back into Mina-P. The blonde also saw clear blue sky instead of a sterile ceiling. Now, if she could only find her friends, everything would be perfect. Minako sat up and searched, once she found them she nearly burst out laughing but managed to cover her mouth in time, the younger ones were in a bit of a compromising position. In consideration for her known-to-be-shy friend, she carefully placed a fallen leaf on her nose and lied down again.

Hotaru woke up thanks to the leaf scratching her face. A bit annoyed, she puffed it away. Then she noticed an unfamiliar weight upon her. The girl looked down and her eyes went wide open when she saw Carlos lying with his head resting on her chest. Not only that, her arms were holding him, all this caused her to blush terribly.

"Umm, Carlos," Hotaru whispered, "Carlos-san." He just shifted a little. A small smile of satisfaction could be seen on his lips. Understandable, his ear was right upon that heartbeat he loved so much. She giggled sweetly. Now that she thought about it, they must've been making quite a tender picture. "Carlos-san," she insisted, "wake up." The undead boy groaned and opened his eyes. He breathed relief when he saw those amethyst eyes, then he saw exactly where he was resting. He got up very carefully, trying not to embarrass her, or himself, any further.

"Umm, perdón Hotaru," he said sheepishly while scratching the back of his head.

"Ie, it's okay Carlos-san, it's not your fault. We just ended up this way."

Carlos broke out laughing. ", it seems that even fate wants to pair us up." Hotaru laughed herself in agreement. "Besides, it was kind of nice-I mean, it wasn't! I mean, it's not that you're-"

"Carlos-san, calm down, I Understand," the violet-haired girl assured him, "I'm not embarrassed at all." She twitched. "Well, I am a little! I don't want you to think I'm-But it's not that I think you're." They both shut up and knelt silently when they realized they were babbling nonsense. After a while, she spoke up again, "I guess, we both realize that…" jeweled and opaque eyes met.

"It wasn't wrong," they said in unison.

A very loud yawn caught their attention. Minako had grown tired of waiting for those two.

"Lucky for us Señorita Aino was still out cold."

"Hai," Hotaru agreed as she headed towards her friend. "Mina-san, are you okay?"

"I guess, that short nap helped a little," she answered with pretend grogginess. The blonde sat up and checked out their surroundings, she noticed they were on a hill. "I don't recognize the place. Where are we Hotaru-chan?"

"Nani? I thought you would be in charge of our destination."

"Me? I was barely able to stand up. Besides, you're to one who thought about teleporting in the first place."

"I was too busy thinking about getting out of that damn place as soon as possible to care where we would end up." The younger girl crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Well, I was thinking about not ending up back home." She was still angry.

"Well that's just great! We could be anywhere in Tokyo or Japan. We could even be-"

"Cempazuchitl."

"Nani?" Both girls quieted down and walked over to Carlos. The undead teen was standing before a flower field as he held one. It was a yellowish orange with multiple heart-shaped petals.

"This is the flower for the dead. We call it so because it's normally used to decorate tombs on special occasions." Carlos Navarro closed his eyes, raised his head, felt the sun upon his scarred chest and took a deep breath. "," he sighed, "we're in my country, Mexico." Hotaru was mute and Minako started to count on her fingers.

"Greece, China, England and now Mexico. If this keeps up I'm going to have to change my title to the senshi of travel."

"You're exaggerating," Hotaru replied, "Any idea how we got here Carlos-san?"

"None," the boy answered, "All I know is I was thinking about my family. I can feel a lot of people in that direction, maybe its one of the cities where I used to live." He dug his hands into his pockets and turned to Hotaru. "But I guess we can always teleport back to Tokyo, right?"

"Are you kidding?" the pale girl asked, "We're still too tired to try that, even you fell asleep! It's going to take a while until we recover enough."

"The least we can do is call the others and let them know we're okay. Except I can't do it," the older girl showed them her communicator, which Blaze had ruined, "Hotaru-chan, could you?"

"Ie, I threw mine away after leaving Hikawa this morning."

"Nani? Why the hell would you do that?" Hotaru shrugged.

"I guess I was very angry because of you two being captured and Haruka blaming me for it." The blonde shot a questioning gaze at the violet-haired girl.

"I guess we're going to have to walk into the city and find a phone or something," Carlos proposed, "Let's go."

"Matte Carlos-san, Mina-san, are you two planning to walk into town looking like that?" The aforementioned ones looked at each other. The girl was still wearing her evening gown, and the boy only wore pants and an overcoat. Only Hotaru had changed clothes after the party. "I'd say you two might draw the wrong kind of attention."

"With my figure, that's not much of bother for me," Minako quipped. Hotaru rolled her eyes.

"And no problem at all thanks to my Silent shadow. Plus," Carlos pulled a credit card out of his back pocket, "economical backup, courtesy of our door-opening, unknown quack."

"Carlos-kun, isn't that stealing?" the blue-eyed girl asked.

"Hey, Blaze was torturing you and I had my chest carved open by this guy," he shook the card, "A bit of clothing and lodging is the least they owe us." A faint cooing caught their attention. Minako was the one to answer the call.

"Well hello, we almost forgot about you," she told the pigeon as she picked up the birdcage, "I'll bet the trip was roughest on you, ne?" The bird cooed again in response.

"Are you really going to take care of that thing?" Carlos asked.

"And why not? Paul asked me to. Besides, whatever he did was not this little guy's fault."

"You're right," the undead teen admitted, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel as if I owe something to Paul."

"Exactly. You ready to go Hotaru-chan?"

"Since forever. And Carlos-san, next time don't flash out the card like that, it gives me the creeps."

"Qué?"

"I'll explain later."

*****

Two boys and a girl, about fourteen or fifteen years old, were killing time at a park. She had short, spiky black hair, notorious oriental features and was doing a headstand on top of the bench her companions were sitting on.

"So, the party's tonight," one boy said. "Think you'll be able to bring the stash?" he asked the girl.

"Actually, I was meaning to talk to you guys about something." She turned around and faced them, while still upside down. "I had to get rid of most of the stuff. My aunt's cleaning the whole house and I couldn't risk it."

"Qué?" The other boy got up and faced her. "Perra idiota, do you any idea how much that grass cost?"

"I do know pendejo, I lent you your share of the money. And you know the trouble I would be in if my uncle finds out about my little habit."

"She's right you know," the first boy agreed lazily, "Not to mention her uncle's the chief of police."

"Yeah, just my luck. But hey, I'm still keeping some in a safe place." She turned again, bent, thrust her legs forward between her arms, took impulse and landed with a gymnast's grace, taking care that she landed on her left foot. "I'm outta here."

"I still don't get how you're able to do that."

"I'm gifted," she boasted as she lit up a cigarette, "I'll see you tonight." She hadn't walked two steps when a sharp sensation crossed her head. Hermano. …? Where did that come from?

*****

It turned out that Hotaru and her friends had arrived in Guanajuato, one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico. First thing they did was get new clothes for a less conspicuous appearance. Next they got rooms at a hotel, the girls were going to need some sleep; they left the pigeon there. And now they were having a very big lunch, even Carlos, it was a very fancy restaurant and he missed that sort of food. Language had been a bit of an obstacle for a moment. Hotaru knew a little Spanish from her few trips to Europe, but not enough, so she decided to use English like Minako.

"It's curious," the violet-haired girl said, "it's like there are nothing but alleys all over the city."

"One of its most famous features," the boy said, "There's a cultural festival during the summer, people with violins and mandolins walk around at night playing and singing. A whole bunch of people follows them to enjoy the music and fun." He dragged a piece of bread around his plate. "This is where my family and I lived for nearly a year. There are theaters, concert halls, museums, a thousand and one things to see," he leaned back on his chair, "and I never went to a single one." They sat there in silence for a while. Minako looked around for something that would change the subject and perhaps put her friend in a better mood.

"So, what's the deal with all the skeletons? Any idea Carlos-kun?"

", today is November 1st, day of all saints, and tomorrow's the day of the dead." Both girls raised an eyebrow. "People believe that tonight the spirits of departed ones will come back to earth to visit their family and friends. So what better way to welcome them than throwing a party? Altars are built, tombs are covered with offerings and songs are made up."

"It reminds me of the O-bon festival back home," Hotaru commented, "You know Carlos-san, it is a bit funny that you got here today of all days."

"It is, isn't it?" They all laughed. All of a sudden he sat up and his face became very serious. "I just thought of something. Wait for me back at the hotel."

"Matte Carlos-san." He didn't vanish, but he did leave in too much of a hurry to reply. For a while, Hotaru was a bit uncertain on what to do. "Mina-san, could you-"

"Go after him already," the blonde said, "I'll wait. Besides, it's high time I called Usagi-tachi to let them know we're okay." The younger girl gave a thankful grin and ran off. Minako stayed at the table, tapping her spoon on the empty plate. That weird, yellowish, pie-like dessert had really been something. "Damn the calories, I'll have a third."

*****

A villa outside the city:

The leader of the operation overviewed the cargo as it was being loaded into the trucks. Soon it would be shipped off to the whole country and north of the border, resulting in a very substantial profit. But there was one obstacle: José Espinoza, chief of police. Impossible to bribe and steadfast on the war against drugs. A lot of money and product had been lost to this man, not to mention the good image he held before his superior. This time was going to be different, this operation was too big to have ruined by a stupid, goodie-two-shoes cop.

"Boss, we're all set," someone called, "The trucks are ready, and so is the room for our guest tonight."

"Good. Make sure you don't mess it up, we're talking millions here." He turned away from his lackey and watched the trucks again. "I'm not screwing this one up."

*****

Cemetery:

Hotaru had heard once that Mexico is the only country that can laugh at death, or at least take her hand in friendship. While burial grounds are usually solemn and solitary places, today was a total exception, the place was crowded with festivity. Each tomb had a whole family gathered round, decorating it with paper chains, candles, portraits, food offerings and those famed cempazuchitl flowers. The older ones prayed while the children ran around and played as if this was any other party, which was quite true if you think about it. One little boy even went up to Hotaru and, noticing her pale complexion, asked her if she was Death herself and had come to her own celebration. She laughed and sent him off. Such irony, a day and a place made for the dead, and so much life everywhere she looked.

Soon enough, Hotaru caught up with Carlos. He was kneeling before a double grave, still undecorated. She glanced at a tombstone beside it and couldn't help but shiver at seeing her friend's name on it.

"Would you rather be left alone Carlos-san?"

"No. All the contrary, I'm glad you came." He got up and she stood beside him.

"Your mother was named Keiko? Mine too."

"Really? , she was half-Japanese. Maybe that's why your country is so attractive to me." He sighed longingly. "What was your mother like?" Hotaru was taken a bit by surprise, she hummed and thought a little before answering.

"Well, I don't remember what she looked like, I just remember her. Am I making sense?" Carlos nodded. "The time I had with my real parents was much too short, but every now and then I'm able to recall it so vividly." She wrapped her arms around herself. "Once, we went to the beach when I was three. While Momma was setting lunch, Poppa took me into the water. He was holding me by the arms and I tucked my legs every time the waves came up." She laughed a little. "I was so scared I ended up running to her arms crying." The violet-haired girl looked up and noticed that Carlos' facade was still melancholic. "Carlos-san?"

"I had my family for fifteen years. Dad worked a lot, but he always made time to be with us. Mom was always there, ready to solve every little problem and console every single tear. And my sister, Carmela, always smiling no matter what, and trying to get me to smile as well. Fifteen years they were all there for me," he made a fist so tight his hand bled, "fifteen years wasted because I was too angry and too cynical to let them near me. Fifteen years and I can't even remember A SINGLE DAY!" He drove a punch into the ground, forming a small crater. "Poe killed my family that night, but not me. I was already dead." Hotaru allowed her friend to weep in sadness for a while before kneeling next to him.

"Tell me Carlos-san, why did you come back?" The undead teen looked at her with confusion.

"Vengeance of course."

"Ie," she corrected in a kind voice, "you came back to set things right. Just now you've taken the first step, learning what was wrong." She took away his sunglasses. "And don't forget, you're not alone, I'm here for you." They both smiled and embraced each other.

"Gracias Hotaru. Oh, why didn't I realize how important you are to me sooner?" he squeezed her before letting go, "let's go back to Señorita Aino now." Both friends made their way back to the hotel, their hearts feeling a lot lighter.

"So, your middle name's Guadalupe?"

*****

Minako was back at the hotel room and had been trying to reach her friends over the last three hours, minus one or two minutes she dozed off. Finally, someone picked up at Usagi and Mamoru's apartment.

"Moshi, moshi," the princess greeted.

"Usagi-chan, at last I'm able to reach one of you!"

"MINAKO!? Thank the Kami! What happened? Where are you?"

"We're all okay, we teleported in the nick of time. Only problem was that we didn't quite plan the destination and ended up in Mexico."

"Nani? That's Carlos-kun's home country, ne?"

"Hai, and we all ended up tired from the trip. You should've seen those two together while they slept," she giggled, "Haruka-kun would've made such a fit." She flopped on the bed. "Anyway, we're all going to rest and gather our strength for the trip back home. I'm at the hotel right now, Hotaru-chan and Carlos-kun are doing something, I hope it's a date. Maybe we'll arrive tomorrow night. Unless you guys want to come over and pick us up."

"Matte Mina-chan," There was a pause. "Mamo-chan wants to talk to you, I'll inform the others. Ja ne."

"Ja ne princess." There was another pause.

"Mina-chan?" It was Mamoru.

"Hello handsome, did you miss my voice?" the blonde joked seductively.

"Yep, you're okay," the Earth prince quipped, "So you ended up in Mexico. Any idea why?"

"None. Well, Carlos-kun did contribute the most by lending us his power, and he did say that he was thinking of his family. Anyway, we're planning to return as soon as possible."

"Ie," Mamoru replied, "you may have to stay a bit longer."

"Nani?" Minako sat up, "What ever for?"

"I don't know what it is, but there must be a reason for you being there. Stay with Carlos-san and help him anyway you can."

"Yes sir, your highness," she saluted, "I better hang up now 'cause this call must be costing a fortune. Ja ne Mamoru-kun."

"Ja ne Mina-chan."

"Oh! One more thing, the outers are going to kill you for this."

"I'll be wary."

Minako hung up the phone and headed for the window, it turned out that she didn't feel sleepy at all anymore.

"Well, as long as I'm here I better do some sightseeing."

Minako's first stop was the marketplace. Not one of those large boutiques with rows and rows of clothing she usually went to with Usagi and Makoto, but a simple and rustic open-air market. There were so many things to see: clay pottery, copper plates, flowers, handmade dolls and baskets, food stands and, naturally, skeletons. She saw puppets, masks and figurines depicting dancers, musicians, weddings and taverns. Her favorite was a group of pallbearers; the skeleton inside the coffin was sitting up and smoking a cigar.

"Boy am I sorry I don't have any cash. (sigh) Maybe after this mess is solved." The blonde stood up and looked back the way she came. Then she turned to look the other way, then she turned again with wide eyes and a sweat drop sliding down her head. "Kuso." You guessed it, she was lost. Of course she tried to ask for directions, but no one there knew English, much less Japanese. "Ugh! How am I ever going to get back to the hotel," her face turned blue, "or home?"

"Hey, are you lost?" someone called in English. Minako spun around and saw a girl with spiky hair.

"Hai. Thank the kami, you are heaven sent."

"British? The blonde hair had me guessing you were a gringa." The blue-eyed girl blinked in confusion at the new term. "I know the city well, I can take you wherever you want. However, I have to buy some things to take to the cemetery. I could give you a sort of sightseeing tour, unless you're in a hurry."

"Not at all. I'd really appreciate having a guide." Mina composed herself and followed the younger girl. "I'm Japanese by the way."

"? I'm part Japanese, as you can tell. I've even been to your country once." She made a slightly wry face, "Well, it was a very short visit really. And to be honest, very unpleasant."

"Oh, and what happened?" Minako raised an eyebrow at noticing how her companion became a little upset.

"It's not exactly something I like to share." She looked up and noticed the worry in the blonde's blue eyes. The tone in her voice was quite contrary to the cheerfulness she'd been displaying this whole time. "Hey! Don't worry. It was a terrible experience but it's not like I'm letting it run my life, in fact, I'm planning to go back to Japan soon."

"I'm glad to hear that," Minako answered. The black-haired girl's clothing provided a new conversation subject. "Beer drinking frogs?"

*****

"It's beautiful," Hotaru sighed as the dark-haired teens walked among the alleys, "I feel as if I'm walking among the pictures from a history book." She turned to Carlos. "So much to see, I wish we could stay for a few days."

"So do I," the boy replied, "but time is something we don't have, now that I know what Poe's after." He gritted his teeth. "Damn him! I can't believe he's still able to ruin my life from so far away." The amethyst-eyed girl patted his shoulder.

"We'll have plenty of time soon enough Carlos. We'll get to see everything you once ignored and more." The undead teen looked at her and smiled gratefully. Instinctively, he took hold of her hand, she didn't object nor blush. They had to let go soon however, as they came up to a very narrow space between two walls. Trying to be a gentleman, Carlos offered the right of way and Hotaru curtsied.

"Stay where you are!"

"Qué?" "Nani?" An old woman carrying a basket of offerings blocked their way. Her face was sweet and kind, and a bit of red could still be seen among her white hair.

"You may not continue down this path," the old woman warned, "unless certain conditions are met."

"What sort of conditions?" Hotaru asked warily.

"Charity perhaps?" Carlos assumed. Although she didn't have the appearance of a beggar at all, Hotaru elbowed him for such lack of tact.

"Oh no, not at all. Quite the contrary, I'm here to help you. Do you know where you are?" The young ones shook their heads. "The alley of the kiss, the most magical place in the city of Guanajuato. Look at the balconies above your heads and take notice of how close they are. The legend says that two lovers lived in those houses. He was a poor miner, and she was the daughter of a rich Spaniard. The father disapproved of such relationship and forbid his daughter to see him. But they would fool him so easily, all they had to do was open the windows and celebrate their love with kisses."

"That's a lovely tale," the girl commented as she rested her head on her friend.

"But sad," the old woman continued with a sigh, "as most love stories are. The father found them during one of their trysts. Enraged, he drew out his dagger with all intention of killing the miner, but she got in the way and received the fatal stab. The young miner took his own life after that."

"By the silence."

"A touching tale," Carlos admitted, "But I still don't see why you stopped us."

"Both their spirits stayed, and in retaliation, they curse every couple in love that walks through here." Both teens' eyes widened. "But, if you share a kiss under the balconies, then you will receive their blessing and have good fortune the rest of your lives."

"Umm, well," Hotaru was blushing terribly, "Arigato, we appreciate your warning. But, we're not a couple."

"That's right," Carlos agreed, "We're not in-I mean, we're friends, that's all."

"Oh, my mistake then, perdón." The elderly woman ordered her belongings and prepared to leave. "I won't bother you any more with my silly fables. God bless you my children." She left. Both friends stayed there a while longer, leaning against each wall and facing each other. The girl looked up again at the balconies and tried to picture the doomed couple during their moments of bliss.

"Carlos-san, do you believe the curse could affect us? It's just a folk tale after all."

"Who knows; being the sort of creature I am now, I'm more inclined to believe it." He looked up as well. "Although, I think it's stupid for people to kiss just because of a silly threat."

"It is silly, but it's also sweet," Hotaru retorted, "It's a lovely way to remember those two and the story they shared. And you should be more sensitive about it."

"Yeah, yeah." How can she always think of others after the way the world has treated her? Why does she stay with something like me? I really should keep her away but she makes me feel…

Hotaru took a deep breath to clear her thoughts. "I guess there's no sense staying here." The violet-haired looked forward and noticed that Carlos was in deep thought, she giggled silently. Who are you Carlos? One minute you're a ruthless demon and the next you're the kindest soul. With you I've felt worry, happiness and even hate. But now I look at you and realize I-

"Ahem!" Hotaru cleared her throat loudly, "We should get back to-" He surprised her with a kiss. For a minute, for a second, did it matter? All Carlos and Hotaru could think about was the contact of their lips. When he finally stepped back, she had no idea how she was supposed to react.

"It's you," he told her, "you are the only reason I need to do this." He took her delicate face with his hand. "You're the most beautiful person I ever met, body and soul. Meeting you was the best that could ever happen to me. I'll be the world's biggest fool if I keep denying how valuable you are to me." Hotaru raised her own trembling hand to take his, tears began to well up.

"Baka," she sobbed. Carlos felt scared, he wanted to hold her, to console, to do something so she wouldn't feel so bad. He cursed his stupidity yet again. "Ie Carlos, I meant both of us." She gazed at him, her eyes had never looked so bright. "I can't believe it took us both so long to admit this." Carlos removed his sunglasses and gazed back at her. For the first time in ages, happiness could be seen in his dark eyes.

They shared a kiss once more, one worthy of all blessings.

The old woman spied on them from another alley.

"Mission accomplished. But I'm not going to leave you alone yet." She disappeared.

*****

Police Station No. 57:

Chief of police José Espinoza was overwhelmed by all the work he had to do, and all of it was somehow related to drugs. The use of those by the population was rising steadily, he was to fill in the reports from dealers being arrested, he had to provide security for a drug prevention benefit and he'd just received a tip about a large shipment taking place sometime this week. He knew who it was, but he could never find enough evidence to jail that person. There had to be a rat or two between his men, but there was no proof of that either. To top it all off, his niece was making friendships he didn't quite approve of.

"Some cop I am, not able to even keep things under control in my own home."

"Hey chief," an officer called from the door, "I'm sorry to say this, but here's some more paperwork. And your speech for that 'Dark Feather' conference. Do you really think you need to go there chief?"

"Of course I do. You know my philosophy, every little bit helps. This speech is meant for teenagers, most will think I'm an old kook, but some will listen."

"You're one in a million chief, one in a million."

"Gracias. By the way, has my wife called?"

"Yes sir."

"Did she say anything about my niece?"

"Umm yeah, she said the girl's been out since morning and hasn't called. I could go look for her, as a favor."

"(Sigh) No, she'll believe I'm overprotecting her. Carry on." The officer left and chief Espinoza kept working in order to be a better protector, not knowing that he would soon be a victim.

*****

Friendship is just one of love's many faces, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that Minako established a strong bond with the girl she'd just met in no time.

"You're kidding!" the younger one claimed, "You got on the wrong plane?"

"Hai," the blonde replied, "Because I was in a rush I missed my dream trip to Hawaii, but I still had a nice vacation."

"I went to a Hawaiian theme restaurant in New York once, I even learned the hula dance." The spiky-haired teen shook her hips. "Get me into a grass skirt, top and a lei and I'll have the boys drooling dry." Minako chuckled and slapped the girl's back.

"Kid, I've got the feeling you and I are going to get along great."

"Well you're surely the kind that can get along with anyone," the emerald-eyed girl pointed out, "especially the boys, considering what a flirt you are."

"You're not so shabby yourself. Half the guys we met turned to you."

"," the spiky-haired girl chuckled, "my aunt hates that. She says it's not healthy for me."

"Why? It's normal for girls your age."

"I know. But she says that because of what I've been through." Minako hummed, she was becoming very curious about whatever had happened to this girl. Fortunately, she'd also become mature enough not to force her.

"Give her time, she'll soon realize you've grown up" Mina assured, "Look, it's still early, I'll take you to meet my friends then we'll all go somewhere fun." The blonde looked up, "Tell on the devil, here they come now."

"Doesn't the saying go-" the black-haired teen came to a halt and blanched, "It can't be."

"Nani?" Mina waved her hand in front if the girl, "What's the matter?"

"It's impossible, it couldn't be him." She strode towards Carlos, "It can't be you."

"My Spanish must be at a lower level than I thought," Hotaru said, "Doesn't güerita mean blonde?"

", and don't ask me why that guy called you that, it's something I could never figure out." Carlos pulled her close and kissed her hair. "But I do know your color is just perfect for you."

"Hmm, you're perfect for me," the pale girl cooed, "I'm so glad we finally admitted what we feel." She reached up and kissed him. They walked a little more and saw their blonde friend up ahead. "Well, there's Mina-san." Hotaru took a deep breath.

"Worried?"

"A little," the violet-haired girl confessed, "But we deserve to have minna-san become happy for us." She raised an eyebrow. "Eto, who's that girl with her?"

"I don't know. Maybe-" He gasped suddenly, "I don't believe this."

"Carlos? Carlos what's wrong?" The undead teen did not reply, he kept walking until he was a few feet away from the black-haired girl, who was shaking like a leaf.

"It can't be you," she barely said, "It can't be you. It can't be-" her eyes rolled back, "It…can't…" She fainted, Carlos sprinted and managed to catch her. The other two girls rushed over."

"Carlos-san, do you know this girl?" Minako asked.

"Qué? Didn't she say who she was?"

"Hai," the blonde replied, "She told me her name, it's-Ara."

"Carlos," Hotaru held her beloved reassuringly, "Is she?"

"She's my sister, Carmela."

*****

At the Hotel:

Carmen remained unconscious for over an hour, a state which Carlos had started to envy. Now, she was wide-awake, pacing around the room and puffing on her third cigarette in a row. Hotaru and Minako sat on one of the beds while they watched the encounter between the siblings.

"Okay, Carmen Navarro, get a grip on yourself and look at this logically. You cut therapy too soon, the nature of the festivities is influencing you, you've been nervous because of exams and let's not forget that stinky herb you smoke every now and then." Carlos gathered up his courage and reached out for his sister.

"Carmela-"

"YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD!! For over a year I thought I had no family and now you show up! Why? How? Where the hell were you!?"

"Umm, excuse me," Minako interrupted, "You two have a lot of things to sort out, so Hotaru-chan and I'll will leave and-"

"You two are going to stay," the spiky-haired girl ordered, "I want you to see how big his pinche cojones are. First he abandons me, a beaten and raped girl, and now reappears just like that." She glared at her brother, "What gives you the damn right!?" Carlos crossed his arms and frowned.

"You have every right to be angry at me Carmela," he said calmly, which was hard to do, "But if you don't calm down and let us to talk, we'll learn nothing."

"Okay, okay, you're right," Carmen sat down and took another drag, "Your body was never found, so I'll assume you were in a coma, amnesiac or something like that."

"Something like that, yeah."

"All right," the girl leaned back, "I'll say you lost your memory, and you tell me your side of the story."

"Well (ahem)," he had no choice but to lie, "To make a long story short, I recovered some time ago, had therapy, recalled a few things and finally decided to come here and see you again."

"Did you?" Carmen chuckled, "That's funny 'cause, while I walked along with Mina, she said her friends were having a sort of date." Hotaru huffed and turned to her fellow senshi.

"What can I say?" the blonde shrugged, "I was rooting for you guys."

"So that means," Carmen continued, "you decided: to hell with me, and preferred to be with this ghastly piruja."

"DON'T!" Carlos roared, "Blame me all you want. But don't you dare attack Hotaru!" The spiky-haired girl wasn't impressed, she charged and stood face to face before her brother.

"I'll say whatever I want to whoever I want! And don't hide your face, give me those damn things!"

"No!" He tried to stop her but she managed to rip away his sunglasses. Carmen backed away frantically, stumbling over the bed and all the way back against the headboard. She curled up and shook with tremendous fear. Minako tried to approach her but was kept at arm's length.

"Your, (gulp) your eyes," she sobbed, "Carlos, look at me, let me see your eyes."

"Give me the shades Carmela," Carlos requested while looking away, "please."

"No, look at me Carlos. Look at me!" Carlos took a deep breath a slowly faced his sister. Her emerald eyes became flooded when she saw his dead ones. "Oh my god. What did those monsters do to you?"

Wordlessly, Carlos went to the table, took hold of a glass and gave Minako a silent request.

"Take my hand Carmen-chan," the blonde said, "and prepare for what you're about to see." The girl took some deep breaths and nodded. The boy crushed the glass, letting the shards dig into his skin.

"NO! Carlos don't!" his sister weeped. She squeezed Minako's hand harder as Carlos pulled the pieces out of his hand. When she witnessed the regeneration, well, try to imagine what she felt.

"I died Carmela, they killed me that night. One year later, I was reawakened in order to exact vengeance." He gazed at Hotaru. "At least that's what I once thought."

"Carlos." The violet-haired girl pulled the undead teen over to the other bed and held him.

"That night," Carlos continued, "one of them said that you had been taken care of, and I know now that he is a man of his word, no matter how insane he was at that time." He stared as his sister. "I thought I was alone as well. Carmela, how did you survive?" The girl took a minute to compose herself.

"Do you realize what you're asking me to recall?" He nodded. "But you deserve to know, I guess."

*****

Shinagawa, one year ago:

"You are a strong girl Carmela, stronger than you believe. You always manage to pull out triumphantly out of any situation. AND THIS TIME IT WILL BE NO DIFFERENT!" he looked straight into her eyes, "You will survive, you will grow up, you will marry, you'll make hundreds of dolls for your children and grandchildren. But first, you must stop crying."

Carmen's breathing began to slow down, her tears ceased and the fear in her face was replaced by brave determination. She jumped forward and gave her brother the tightest hug she ever had given him. "Promise me you'll find me Carlos," this was more like an order than a plead, "Promise me!"

He returned the hug, "I promise," he kissed her cheek, "Te quiero hermana." He pushed her away and ran.

Carmen curled up in a corner and started crying again. She had to be brave in front of her brother, otherwise his own courage would've vanished, but now that she was alone, there was no reason to hide what she felt. The biggest of those feelings was humiliation.

"Why, why did they do this? I'm a person, a child. Am I just a toy? Something that's used and then thrown away? (sob) Daddy, Mommy," she choked on her tears, "you didn't deserve this, you're good people. I'm only thirteen," she pounded on the floor, "I'm only thirteen! I never did anything wrong! I DON'T DESERVE THIS!"

"That's right, you don't."

The girl got up in fright and saw Paul. The black man approached her slowly, she was too terrified to move.

"You're innocent, you don't deserve to suffer." He put one hand on her head and one on her neck, one swift move was all it would take to snap it. "But your suffering will not last-UGH!" Carmen's courage surged and she threw a right hook against his liver. As he reeled back from the pain she kicked him fiercely on the same spot. Paul fell to his knees and she bolted.

"I'm not going to die!" she yelled before leaving.

Carmen zigzagged among the warehouses, leaving false tracks in each one. With luck, she would be able to reach the police and safety, and hopefully, she would reunite with Carlos. She entered one more warehouse, it was filled with large metal barrels.

"Perfect, these things should make a lot of noise." She went over to examine them. When the girl touched the nearest bunch it tittered a bit, the barrels had been stored in careless piles. Suddenly she heard footfalls, which made the hair in the back of her neck stood up. She turned to the door and saw Paul's profile for a second before he closed the door and melded with the shadows. Carmen cursed and looked for a hiding place, which was going to be hard in this darkness. But maybe she would be able to pull it off and even crush this maniac under these barrels. She began to walk and bumped into the pile again, making a bit of noise.

Better be careful, otherwise I'll become the puree. Carmen moved carefully and slowly. After a while she saw an accessible window. "Yes!" A flashlight shone into her eyes, after her sight adjusted she saw Paul standing between her and her last chance for escaping.

"It's over child," the ebony man spoke, "please stop running."

"I don't believe this. Chingada, why!?" she demanded, "Why do I have to die? What did I do? TELL ME!!"

"You said so yourself earlier, nothing," Paul replied, "Why should the suffering continue then?" Carmen looked at him for and the first time took notice of his eyes. They were actually gentle, enough to make the girl calm down.

"You truly believe you're helping me, don't you?" A nod was the only answer she was given. The dark-haired girl took a deep breath. "My brother's idea of help is to keep me alive, to tell me that I'm strong enough. And I agree with him." She sprinted away blindly and crashed into a third barrel pile, this time it did more than just titter.

"No!" The black martyr tried to rush in but was too late, the child was buried under the heavy containers. The commotion ended just as fast as it had begun, there was no way she could have survived. "Rest in peace," Paul said before leaving.

Next morning, two workers were looking at the mess.

"Great, just great. Who did this?"

"Punks with nothing better to do," the other one said, "Come on, help me with this." They began to move the barrels away but it proved to be hard work.

"If I get an hernia I swear I'm going to…I don't know but I am going to do something."

"All you can do is complain. Now shut up and-" he noticed a brownish liquid, "Nani?"

"What's that? Did a barrel leak!"

"Ie, this is-blood!" Adrenaline rose and the barrels were removed at a faster pace.

"Maybe it's an animal."

"Let's hope so." But hope vanished when they saw that bloodied face. "By the kami, please be alive!" He tried to touch her and was startled by a very agonizing gasp.

"I'll get the ambulance!"

*****

Guanajuato, present:

"I made it through the night, but not in one piece." She knocked on her right leg and hard plastic was heard, surprising everyone. "I spent some time at the hospital, uncle José was informed, I was sent here," Carmen sighed, "and the rest is history." Carmen stood up and faced her brother. "Do you have anything to say?"

"When I first awoke, all I couldn't think of was revenge, I was too angry to do anything else. Just like when I was alive, I wouldn't see beyond my interests." The undead teen stepped forward, "Please believe me, if I had known you were still alive the first thing I would have done was come after you." The spiky-haired girl stood up silently with her arms crossed. "Come on sis, I don't know what to do here. Please help me, say something!"

"All I can say is this: you'll be glad to know I was able to recover from that night. Sure, I still have nightmares every once in a while but I did as you told me. I grew up, grew stronger and became the bigger person. Hell," she rustled her hair, "I even got a new 'do." Her emerald eyes darkened, "But I did it alone Carlos, you never back. You broke your promise to me, and I hate you for that." She made her way for the door. Carlos tried to reach her but couldn't move. Carmen came to a halt and picked up something. "Oh, I guess these are yours," she threw the item at her brother, the bouquet of cempazuchitl, and finally left.

Hotaru and Minako had remained quiet through the whole tale, the pale girl went to the window and the other one spoke to the boy.

"Carlos-kun, finding you impressed Carmen-chan, she didn't know what she was saying."

"Maybe not but she's right," he replied, "Kashaku told me that a warrior is supposed to sense souls no matter where they are. I should have sensed Carmela since that very first night!" He took a very deep breath. "I need some time alone."

"Hai," the amethyst-eyed girl agreed, "but if you need me Carlos I'll be-Why must he keep doing that?"

"Habit I guess." The blonde stifled a yawn. "I don't want to sound insensitive, but I'm really tired. You want to go to sleep too Hotaru-chan?"

"Ie, I'm going after Carmen-san. Make sure to tell Carlos." She left without waiting for a reply. Minako leaned back and took notice of the birdcage.

"I can't help but wonder if you understood what just happened here."

"Coo." The blonde chuckled and opened the cage, the pigeon hopped onto her arm.

"You're not Artemis-kun, but I need company and beggars can't be picky."

"Coo."

*****

"Matte Carmen-san!" The named girl turned and saw Hotaru approach.

"If you came to vouch for Carlos you're wasting your time."

"I didn't come for that, I'm here for company."

"Oh please, spare me your pity," Carmen responded with snide, "Go back to the hotel, I'll be fine by myself."

You're definitely a Navarro. "You're wrong again," the pale girl retorted, "I'm the one who needs company." The emerald-eyed girl raised an eyebrow and the amethyst-eyed one explained. "I also told someone in my family that I hated her. I need to be with someone who feels like me."

"I see." Carmen took out another cigarette.

"Aren't three of those enough?" the pale girl scolded, "Not to mention that you're too young to be smoking."

"Hey, I'm still edgy! I need something to help me relax. Plus, no one asked you to come along, so shut up and hold your breath if you don't like it." She was about to light up when Hotaru held her hand out before her.

"Maybe fresh air will be better," she said with a caring tone, "Come on, give it a try." Carmen frowned at the Japanese girl, but she found it impossible to get mad at her. She handed over the cigarette with a sigh, and moaned a little when she it was crushed, it was her last one.

"Gracias, I guess." They walked quietly for a while, both in deep thought. "Look, we got started on the wrong foot. Your name's Hotaru, right? I'm sorry I called you a cheap slut."

"Nani!?" Hotaru froze, "At what precise moment did you call me that?"

"Qué? I…umm…well…" Carmen looked up and gulped at the glare she received. "That's what piruja means," the black-haired girl shrank, "I'm really, really sorry."

"(Sigh) I understand, you needed targets for your anger. Besides, it felt a lot worse when Haruka called me that."

"Who's Haruka?"

"My foster father of sorts." Now it was Carmen's turn to be surprised.

"You must be kidding me! Did he really say that to you?"

"Not exactly, but that's what it felt like. You see, Haruka believes duty comes before the heart and that I should act the same way. But I chose heart and Carlos. That's why we fought and became angry at each other."

"You got angry at two of your parents!? What's your problem, PMS?"

"Ie," the girl huffed, "though I'm starting to suspect you."

"Me neither," the Mexican one said with a sly chuckle, "I just adopted the bitch attitude for defense."

"Che. Anyway, I'm just angry at Haruka, that's it."

"Wait a minute. Earlier you said you were angry at a she, but now you're saying Haruka's your dad."

"Haruka's a woman, but she's got the father role. Get it?"

"Oh." They remained in awkward silence a while. "But anyway, she should have considered your feelings," Carmen blushed, "Just like I should have considered Carlos'. (sigh) Perdón," she said sincerely, "I don't know you, but frankly, I would have chosen you for a sister-in-law myself."

"Nani?" Hotaru's face went bright red, "What makes you say that?"

"Don't try to fool me. The way he defended you, Carlos hardly displayed his feelings like that, only someone very important could ever get him to act that way. And for a hermit like him to show such emotion," she winked, "it must be love."

"Well." The violet-haired girl mumbled, she wasn't quite ready to let her friends know they had moved on to the next level, let alone a stranger. But then she realized, she and Carlos had decided not to hide anymore, and Carmen wasn't a stranger anymore. "We formalized our relationship just today. (giggle) In fact, we did so with our first kiss." Carmen's response was to give Hotaru a big hug.

"It doesn't take a genius to know that it's all because of you. You turned my brother into a better person," her mood saddened, "if he's still a person that is." She huffed and searched all over herself, "Perdón Hotaru, but I really need a smoke right now. I just hope I still-Aha!" Carmen pulled out something that looked like a cigarette, "Whoops! Wrong pocket." Hotaru snapped the item away.

"Is this what I think it is?"

", it's a joint," Carmen replied as she snatched it back, "Look, I needed something to help me during my recovery and this thing worked."

"Carmen-san, that's just a placebo! You're going to end up in a worse state because of this addiction!"

"I am not an addict, I got this under control!! Look Hotaru, I like the way you worry about people, but don't overdo it. I don't want to get angry at you again." Though her voice already sounded violent.

"Me neither. But think about it, okay?"

"Deal," Carmen muttered. She wasn't addicted; she only smoked marihuana during weekends at parties, that meant once a week, and with friends. Of course, she had been going to more and more parties lately, sometimes on weekdays. And now that she thought about it, a few weeks ago she started smoking alone, something she'd never done before. She glanced at Hotaru and noticed the concern in those amethyst eyes. And then she noticed her faint a little. "Hey! Are you okay?"

"Ie, I haven't slept well for nearly two days now."

"My god, you're going to get sick that way." She helped the pale girl up. "My house is that one up ahead, you better stay the night."

"Arigato, I'll call Mina-san and let her know." They heard a motor approach and looked up, it was a black car and two men were getting off. They eyed the girls and argued a bit amongst themselves. "Should we be worried?"

"Just act naturally." They kept walking and the taller man blocked their way.

"What are two cute little girls like you doing out at this hour? Don't you know it's dangerous?"

"Your grandma," Carmen replied harshly, "get the hell out of my way, my friend's tired!" Hotaru gulped. This was acting naturally?

"We said it's dangerous," the other one repeated as he pulled out his gun and aimed at the teenagers. "Get in the car, now."

*****

Quoth the raven:

Although I had to make up a few details, the city of Guanajuato does exist, and so does the alley of the kiss. The city also has more sights than the few I mentioned in the story. I strongly recommend a visit.

In the Sailor V manga, Minako does travel to both Greece and China. And if you've seen the anime, you know she was supposed to live in London for a while.

As for Carmen referring to Hotaru as her sister-in-law, in Mexico such terms are used before marriage, it grants a little more familiarity.