Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Death and Rebirth ❯ Death and Rebirth 25 ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Death and Rebirth

Chapter twenty-five

A hospital in Brazil:

"Molto obligadho," Ami said to a doctor.

"What did he say?" Rei asked, when she and the other inners had found Uranus, a shocking spectacle greeted them. The wind senshi laid there so bruised and bloodied that she was hardly recognizable. Neptune was kneeling beside her, crying and begging for a sign of life.

"I won't repeat everything the doctor told me," the short-haired girl said gloomily, "Had we taken a second more getting here, Haruka-kun would be a goner." She took a deep breath, "but the truth is…it might not make much of a difference."

"I just don't believe it! What in the world could have left her in such condition? And to make matters worse, we know nothing of Hotaru-chan." The shrine maiden bit her thumbnail and thought for a while, "We better head back to Japan and tell Kashaku-san about this, maybe he'll be able to come up with something."

"And have Setsuna-san check the time stream to see what she can find out," Ami suggested, "Let's get back to the others and tell them." But first they had to go to the waiting room and see how Michiru was doing. The aqua-haired woman sat there all alone, the sorrow and fear she felt filled the entire room.

"Michiru-san, we're going to the hotel now, do you want to come with us?" Rei asked as she placed her hand on her friend's shoulder. Michiru said nothing, she just glanced towards Ami's eyes. The younger girl tried but couldn't hide what she knew. "We can't leave you like this. Ami-chan, I'll stay with her, you get back to Usagi-tachi."

"Ie," the violinist said with a voice no higher than a whisper, "I want to be alone. I'll wait until Haruka comes out of surgery then be at her side for a while."

"Michiru-san, we can't leave you," the raven-haired girl insisted.

"But I want to, I need to be. If Haruka-" She couldn't say it. "I want it to be just the two of us, please." Rei sighed and gave her friend a quick hug.

"I'll come by to check on you. Let's go Ami-chan."

*****

Despite the situation, the senshi registered into a rather luxurious hotel, they needed a room large enough for all of them. As they came up the elevator, Rei and Mercury discussed whether it had been a good idea to leave Michiru. Hospitals can be very hectic places, not the best thing for someone in her condition. Maybe they should have brought her along so she could have a moment of peace and quiet.

"RAVEN YOU SADISTIC SON OF A BITCH!!"

Then again.

Both inners rushed inside, they saw Makoto huffing furiously in front of a smashed TV set, the others had looks of horror in their eyes, and Setsuna, sitting on an armchair, had the worst.

"What happened here?" Ami asked.

"That baka Raven!" the tall brunette exploded, "He used this stupid spell to show us what Hotaru-chan did to Haruka-kun!" She stomped on the floor. "When I get my hands on him, I'm going to strangle him so hard, his neck will be the size of a toothpick!"

"Matte, you're going too fast," Rei protested, "What are you talking about? What did Hotaru-chan do?"

"Raven is using her through her anger," Mamoru answered. In a few words, and trying hard to maintain composure, he retold what they saw, the fight between Saturn and Uranus. "Raven deserves the worst."

"My goodness." Ami walked up to the couch and let herself fall. "Gomen, Setsuna-san, it's all my fault." Everyone except the aforementioned woman looked at the girl questioningly. "Remember the scanners? The cats and I found something inside Hotaru-chan, a dark cloud. We decided not to tell you until we were sure what it was. But then so many things started happening at once and I…" tears began to flow from her azure eyes, "Gomen ne, Setsuna-san, I should have told you since the beginning."

"Ie, don't apologize Ami-chan, it is my own fault, not yours."

"Nani?" Setsuna raised her head slowly.

"The signs were there, but we chose to ignore them. The anger, the hostility, it was all so obvious but our only concern was our mission, protect the princess." The mocha-skinned woman collapsed. "I was the first one to be called mama. She considered me a mother, but did I treat her as a daughter? Ie! I only thought of her as a senshi, not a child!"

"Setsuna…" Usagi, who was lying on another couch, started beating herself mentally. If only I were stronger, they wouldn't have to worry so much about me and this never would've happened.

"Are you done bellyaching? Because we have a lot of work to do."

Everyone became startled and turned to the source of that dark voice, the corner where most shadows gathered. Slowly, the figure stepped into the light.

"Carlos-kun!" Minako sprinted towards her young friend but stopped cold the moment she came near. Karasu no shi looked stronger and more menacing than before, his eyes were blacker, he even seemed taller and older. "(gulp) You, umm, you look well." There was a tapping at the window and Makoto was the one to open it. In flew two crows, Kashaku perched himself on the warrior's shoulder, while Deimos landed in front of her sister and changed form.

"Deimos-chan!" Phobos was about to embrace her twin but recalled her anger, "I see you're back to your old self," the red-eyed girl commented sourly.

"Onee-chan."

"It's so great to see all of you!" Rei beamed as she embraced both twins, "All that's missing to make this a perfect moment is-" There was a knock on the door. "Of course." The long-haired girl opened, and sure enough, there stood Carmen with Luna and Artemis in her arms.

"I can't fly nor do whatever it is that jackass did," the emerald-eyed girl said, "but there's no way I'm staying out of the loop."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Rei replied as she hugged the younger girl tightly. For the first time in ages, she felt hopeful. "Come on, there's so much you need to know."

Karasu heard the whole story, his eyes became darker when they came to the part about Saturn, but no sound came out of his lips.

"Did the impostor say anything important?" Kashaku asked, "Some clue as to his whereabouts?"

"Ie," Mamoru answered, "all he left us was a threat."

"I managed to find out something."

"Usako?" The blonde girl sat up with difficulty.

"While I was inside him, I had access to some of his thoughts. They were too chaotic, but I recall one in particular. Something about a library."

"A library?" Makoto asked incredulously, "Raven wants to look something up?"

"It makes sense," Ami observed, "it was through research that he learned about the crow in the first place." The azure-haired girl started thinking. "The oldest libraries in the world are in Europe, we should start by-"

"It's not in this world," Karasu interrupted, "I know exactly where the pendejo is going."

"You do?" the white cat asked.

"While I searched the tower ruins, I found some old scrolls of Raven's, one of them mentioned the library he wants to go to."

"That place holds all knowledge," Kashaku continued, "from this and every world. The imposter will surely look for knowledge of how to use his stolen power."

"That's all very interesting," Luna said, "But the important thing is: Where is that library?" The undead warrior's only response was to point downwards. "You've got to be kidding."

"I'm not, and that's exactly where I'm heading."

"Umm, Carlos, bro," Carmen approached nervously, "You know all those fights we used to have, where I would get angry and tell you to go to hell? That was only a figure of speech!"

"And I'm dead serious," the dark-eyed boy retorted. He strode towards the window, "Raven is holding Hotaru, and until she's safe, all of Hades should be afraid of me."

"Carlos-san," the future king murmured worriedly. Everyone looked at the pale teen with fear in their hearts. Had the damage been too traumatic? Was the last vestige of Carlos' humanity burned away along with his old flesh?

"So, any volunteers?" Karasu asked, all the fear he emanated vanished at once, "I can't do this on my own you know." Sighs of relief, and even a few giggles were heard.

"With Guardian Kashaku's help, onee-chan and I can take you to the underworld physically," Deimos explained, "but only up to five people."

"And we're bringing Lady Saturn on the return trip," Phobos reminded.

"I'm going," Setsuna announced as she arose, "I'm going down there and will recover my Hime-chan no matter what."

"I'm coming along," the shrine maiden said, "If you're going into the netherworld, you better take along someone with my know-how."

"Me too," Usagi said. She tried to get up but fell again exhausted. "Ie, I'm still too weak."

"Good," Makoto quipped, "otherwise we'd have to chain you down. I'll go, the rest of you stay here and beef up defenses, we can't leave this realm unprotected."

"Then let's get started," Ami announced, "Mercury crisis power."

"Venus crisis power." "Mars crisis power. "Jupiter crisis power. "Pluto crisis power."

"MAKE UP!"

The volunteers were given a thousand and one warnings. Carmen hugged her brother as if she was unwilling to let go.

" Bring back Hotaru and come back in one piece," the spiky-haired girl ordered as she kissed him on the cheek.

"I'll be back before you know it, Carmela." They were ready; Deimos and Phobos stood side by side, Kashaku on the former's shoulder. Slowly, the twins raised their arms and a dark portal appeared. The senshi felt nervous, even frightened, but it was time to resolve this situation once and for all. Pluto, Jupiter, Mars and Karasu followed the Coronis-born trio through the portal. The rest watched as it closed.

"Come on Mercury," Venus said, "we have to let Michiru know about this." He water senshi nodded and followed the second in command. Mamoru and the cats went towards the odango-headed girl.

"They have a lot of strength on their side," Luna said, referring to Karasu and the others, "I'm sure they'll succeed."

"You bet your furry ass they will." Everyone turned towards Carmen, who winked at them. "Let me tell you something about the Navarros, when we get an idea into our heads, nothing can stop us.

*****

Somewhere not on this earth:

The moment the heroes stepped inside, everything became dark. Moments later, blurry images appeared, like awakening into a surrealistic reality. The view before them was a depressive wasteland. Sailor Jupiter knelt and examined the soil, it was gray and completely barren, nothing would grow there.

"Is this…" the thunder senshi started asking, "you know where?"

"Ie," Phobos answered, "it is a place in between, one that my people know well." She pointed upwards and everyone looked up, far above heads they could see tiny black dots going back and forth.

"Other guardians," Karasu guessed.

"Messengers actually," Deimos corrected, "this is where we have to go through when we take souls from one realm to the other. And speaking of which," the blue-clad girl looked around, "Where is Guardian Kashaku?" Until she mentioned it, no one had noticed the crow's absence, or rather, apparent one.

What they found was a dark bundle, it rose and they discovered it was a tall, elder man. He looked like a Norse warrior, except that he was well groomed, his hair and trimmed beard were fully white, but his body showed no sign of weakness, and what seemed to be a fur cape was actually composed of feathers.

"Considering the perils we will face, this form shall be of much better use to us."

"Kashaku-san?" Mars questioned with a gasp.

"You look good," the undead warrior said with a chuckle, "I was wondering when you would do as the twins." He turned towards them and noticed that Deimos did not dare look up.

"Are you feeling well, Lady Deimos?" the guardian asked as he approached her.

"Huh? Ie!" she yelped as she turned away, "I mean, hai, I'm alright I just-" the dark-haired girl shook her head frantically, "We're wasting time, we have to find Princess Saturn!"

"I agree," Pluto spoke, "your new guise surprised us, Kashaku-san, but we better recover and get to work."

"Correct, Lady Pluto." Kashaku stepped away a bit and scanned the scenery. "I've never seen this place from this point of view, it will take some time for me to figure out which direction to follow."

"Take all the time you need," Jupiter suggested, "we can't afford any mistakes. And what about you guys?" she asked the twins, "Can't you tell us where to go?"

"We haven't been here in ages, Princess Jupiter," the red-eyed twin responded, "Deimos-chan and I have a vague remembrance, but that is all."

"You want to hear something funny?" Karasu asked, "I also feel like I've been here before."

"Of course you do, Warrior," Deimos said, "You went into the realm of the dead and returned, it's rare, but everyone with a condition similar to yours has these memories."

"Everyone who died and came back?" the dark-eyed teen wondered.

"Not exactly," Kashaku began explaining, "Your sister had a near-death experience, but never set foot here, and those who reincarnate have this place erased from their minds." He glanced briefly towards the senshi. "But according to the battles you described, you five should remember."

"Actually…" The time-senshi bit her finger and shivered as she recalled the battle with Galaxia. She carried no ill-will against Michiru, and she was going to let her know as soon as she was back on Earth. "We have no memory of this place at all."

"It think it has to do with," Mars' voice was barely audible, "Our crystals remained intact during the fight against Galaxia, and the same must've been true during Beryl's."

"What are you saying?" the tall brunette asked.

"That we never did die, we have nothing in common with Karasu no shi." No one knew what to say.

"Aha!" Kashaku exclaimed as he snapped his fingers, "I know where we must go, but I warn you, it will be a long walk."

"Then we're on our way!" Karasu no shi announced as he checked Seventh sin's edge, "For Hotaru!"

They had walked during what seemed an eternity, and still they weren't halfway to their destination. And the scenery didn't change either, always a gray, dull plain, with only a two-peaked mountain in the distance. The senshi chatted in order to distract themselves. They used every topic, movies, music, anecdotes, wedding plans, etc. Eventually, Deimos grew tired and decided to go and ask Kashaku how much further they would have to walk, but she had only taken a few steps when the ground began to shake. Phobos rushed forward and caught her sister.

"In the name of Coronis, what was that!?"

"Probably a quarrel down below," the guardian answered.

"Nani?" Pluto looked down, "What is down below?"

"The place you know as hell."

"Qué!?" Karasu gripped his katana tighter, "Just how far below is this place?"

"Not to worry, the stone layer is thin but very resistant," Kashaku stomped hard a few times to stress his point, "Nothing can break it." But as soon as he finished saying this, the floor shook even more violently, then it cracked and caved in. Karasu got to his feet the moment they hit bottom and immediately got ready to fight, for before them stood a 15 foot tall demon. The monster had yellow pus covered skin and crooked fangs, coated in grayish green tartar. Further features are too nauseating to mention.

"Fire soul bird!" Mars' attack caused great pain but not much damage. The demon tried to drive its claws through the fire senshi, but she evaded the lethal blow just in time. Deimos jumped onto its arm and drove her rapier into its wrist, Phobos too slashed the hand open.

"Keep away from Princess Mars!!" they threatened unfazed.

"Jupiter oak evolution!" "Death scream!" The sharp leaves made the demon reel back and the purple orb blew the air out of it. Karasu and Kashaku took the opportunity to attack simultaneously, the older man was armed with an enormous, feather-shaped bastard sword. Together they made two cleaves on the monster's chest. It staggered a little and fell, the heroes took a moment to catch their breath.

"Kashaku-kun, didn't you say that nothing could break that rock?" Jupiter scolded.

"That's how it is supposed to be," he replied, "and that specie is not particularly powerful. I don't understand."

"I have an answer," Phobos said, "look up." Her enhanced sight caught some details at the hole's border. "The stone was sliced, and we all know how that was accomplished."

"With the Silence glaive," the emerald-haired senshi guessed, "The opening must've sealed, but remained weak. We should thank Raven for being too stupid to cover his tracks."

"I'll tell him when I stick my katana down his throat," the dark-haired teen growled.

The bearded man indicated their destination and they started walking again. Once more, the trek was quite long and tiring, but at least now they had more to do than just walk. The heroes had to cross over chasms, climb down cliffs, beware bottomless pits and avoid sharp rocks. They saw a few creatures now and then, but didn't have to fight any. Suddenly, Karasu told everyone to stop.

"What is it?" Jupiter asked.

"I heard something, and it wasn't an animal," he looked around, "Chingada, I'm picking up too many signals to make sense out of them!"

"Like wise, it could be Raven trying to muddle us," the fire senshi observed, "which may turn out to be a good sign-Phobos-chan, look out!!"

"Nani!?" the red-eyed girl spun and saw a giant boulder about to crush her. She was stunned, fortunately, Kashaku wasn't. He pushed her away and held her as the boulder rolled by.

"Are you hurt, Lady Phobos?"

"Ie, arigato, Guardian Kashaku." The dark-haired girl spruced herself and noticed that her sister was glaring fiercely.

"Che! I knew you were mad, but I didn't expect you to be so infantile."

"Nani? You're not suggesting that I'm-"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, my fault!"

The group turned and saw an orange-skinned demon with one horn coming down a slope.

"What's the big idea, baka?" the brunette senshi growled.

"Look I'm really sorry for what happened," the demon continued apologizing as he moved the boulder, "I really thought I had it at the top this time-" then he glimpsed at Karasu, "Blow me down! You're a crow, ain't ya?"

"," the warrior answered as the demon paced around him.

"Ha! It's rare to see you guys down here. What did you do, blow up a church?"

"We happen to be here on our own free will," Mars said in a rather annoyed tone, "Just butt out and go back to whatever it is you're doing."

"Fine," the orange one huffed as he began pushing the boulder, "Your friends went in that direction, by the way."

"Nani?" Pluto gasped, "What do you mean our friends?"

"Yeah, a few hours ago I saw a guy dressed in black and a girl with the same uniform as you." The group looked to where the demon had indicated.

"Gracias!" Karasu shouted as he and the rest hurried away, only Jupiter took a minute.

"Let me ask you something. If the boulder keeps rolling away each time, why do you even bother?"

"I had a choice, either this or reality shows."

"A wise decision."

Karasu and Sailor Pluto were at the lead, running as fast as they could.

"Thank the kami we ran into that oni," the time senshi commented, "we would've missed Hime-chan completely."

"Hai," Mars agreed, "ever since you came back, Karasu, we keep running into good luck," she giggled joyfully, "I can't wait to see Hotaru-chan again."

"MATTE!" Jupiter called out. Everyone came to a screeching halt, the thunder senshi smacked her forehead. "We completely forgot, Raven's still controlling Saturn."

"And she will attack us no doubt," Deimos concluded. Everyone's hopes dropped like a stone.

"Don't worry, I already thought about that," the undead warrior said in a confident tone, "My powers affect emotions, all I have to do is touch Saturn to break Raven's spell."

"If you manage to reach her," Kashaku countered, "Lady Saturn is likely to put up a fight, a deadly one."

"Which forces us to come up with plan B," Deimos seconded. It didn't take her long to come up with something though. "Of course!" she changed to crow form, "Wait here, I'll be back as soon as I can," she promised as she bolted away.

"Matte Deimos-chan!" Phobos was about to set off on her sister's pursuit, who was miles away already, when a blinding light surrounded them. Not only was their sight gone, but their consciousness as well.

*****

"Hmm, uh," Pluto awoke with a terrible headache, "Is everyone all right?" Her sight cleared and she noticed that her friends weren't there. The mocha-skinned senshi looked around and discovered that she was in the middle of a white void. "Jupiter, Mars," she called out, she called as she started walking, "can anyone hear me?" She stopped when she realized that her breathing was starting to accelerate. "Sailor Pluto, calm down. What's wrong with you?" She took a deep breath and searched, ground and ceiling were completely alike, no horizon at all, there was absolute silence and even the air had no smell. "Somebody answer me!" She began to shiver and could do nothing to control it. "PLEASE!! Anyone say something, don't leave me here!" Before Pluto knew it, and unpleasant and familiar sensation overcame her and she began to panic. She ran as fast as she could, no change so she turned and headed elsewhere. She kept this up until she tripped and fell. Her ruby-eyes filled up with tears as she assumed fetal position. "Please," she sobbed, "don't leave me alone."

Mars also awoke alone, only she did so in familiar territory.

"The Hikawa shrine? How did I get back home?" The long-haired girl entered cautiously, ready for anything. As she approached the door, a familiar looking shadow appeared. Her first reaction was to ready an attack, but then she saw who it was. "Okousan?"

"Yes, Rei, it's me," the mustached man said. Mars' heart was overflowed with various emotions, until one rose above the rest, happiness. She ran up to embrace her father, whom she'd been trying to contact for so long. He shoved her away like a plague.

"Nani!? What's wrong?"

"I just came here to give you a message," his voice was cold and cruel, "Stop hounding me. There's a reason I left you here, all you're good for is getting in the way. I'm much too busy to look after such a self-centered child. Why should I think differently now?" The fire senshi's eyes went wide in shock and confusion.

"Nani? You're lying! You can't possibly mean that!"

"Watch me." The man walked down the stairs and past her, Mars tried to stop him but was painfully backhanded. As she knelt there on the steps, rubbing her reddened cheek, the sound of footsteps approached. The raven-haired senshi looked up and saw her grandfather.

"Don't even bother, you're welcome here no more." He didn't grant a moment for response. "I've put up with you for long enough. I don't see why you should stay here just because you are my grandchild, and as maiden you can be easily replaced." Mars was too appalled to say anything, her legs went numb as she watched her grandfather enter the temple.

"Matte! This is wrong! Why are you all doing this?" She slipped as she got up and tumbled down the stairs onto the street. When she raised her head, she was greeted by a rapier against her throat.

"You stay away from us."

"Ie, Phobos-chan, Deimos-chan, not you too!"

"Hai," the blue one growled, "Phobos and Deimos, the ones you took away from their home, and for what reason?"

"Did you ever stop to think who we were forced to leave?" Phobos continued with her eyes growing redder, "Our, friends, our family?" She pressed the tip of her weapon against Mars' skin.

"Perhaps if your personality were a little different, 'princess'," Deimos mocked, "Mamoru wouldn't have left you for Usagi. But let's face the facts, no one can stand being near you." The twins turned and walked into the crowd that was forming.

"Ie!" Mars tried to follow then but was pushed away by some strange force emanated from a man she came close to. Not just him, everyone she came near to had this sort of force field around. She knelt and recited a mantra. "This makes no sense, my friends don't act like that, I'm not even in the right place. I need to think, find some sense in all this chaos." Mars tried to concentrate but the repelling blows continued, and her fear began to grow.

Sailor Jupiter and Kashaku were lucky enough to be together, maybe that way they would find their companions sooner.

"What sort of place have we been sent to?" the bearded man wondered as he scanned the many seats, giant window and fluorescent lighting.

"An airport," the tall senshi answered, "Do you think Raven detected us and used a teleporting spell."

"Probably not, if this were a port of any kind, it would be crowded, this place is utterly deserted."

"Then it's an illusion?" Jupiter guessed. She pondered for a moment then snapped her fingers, "Of course, what a buffoon!" she laughed and a puzzled Kashaku stared at her. "Crows use fear as a weapon, ne?"

"Yes, they do. Is that a clue of some sort?"

"Hai! This is all some cockamamie plan made by that oni kabuki." The thunder senshi explained, "My parents died in a plane crash, as everyone knows, since then I've had a slight fear towards aircrafts, and logically, airports disturb me." She spun and shouted out loud, "Is this the best you can do? Did you really expect me to be down on my knees whimpering?" Jupiter found this situation so ridiculous, she couldn't help laughing.

"Umm, Lady Jupiter," Kashaku edged back and tapped on her shoulder.

"Hai, what is it?" she asked as she wiped her eyes. They went wide when she saw the nose of a jumbo jet rapidly approaching the window. "I take it back."

"Phobos, Phobos wake up," the dark-haired teen ordered as he shook the dark-haired girl.

"Warrior Karasu?" She got up with a start, "Deimos-chan, Princess Mars! Where are they?"

"I think your sister managed to escape. Whatever her plan, she had it just in time," Karasu observed, "As for the rest, I can only assume they were taken away."

"We have to look for them," Phobos said with an agitated voice, "But where do we go? Do we follow the same direction?"

"Well…" They heard voices and a weird sound. The pair climbed down the side of the mountain, Karasu casting his Silent shadow. Once they reached the valley, they saw three gray demons playing catch with something.

"Do you think they're friendly?" Phobos asked.

"Not very, they're playing with a corpse." The red-clad girl first gulped then gasped.

"Ie, that can't be!" she ran towards the demonic trio.

"Phobos wait! Chingada chamaca!"

One of the demons made a curve toss and raised its sight.

"I think I'm seeing double, look who's coming." The remaining two ceased playing as they looked up also. Phobos slowed down and came to a stop, her whole body exhaled terror.

"What are you three doing? Who-who is that?"

"I think it's somebody you've been looking for," another demon said unemotionally, "Here, have closer look." It tossed the corpse towards Phobos. As it passed over her head, she managed to see that the figure was female. Not only that, it was someone she knew.

"Deimos-chan?" Her limbs felt like lead all of a sudden. "DEIMOS!!" Phobos threw herself towards her twin's inert body. The blue-eyed girl was all bruised and bloodied, it was obvious that her death had been extremely painful. "Deimos-chan," a laugh of madness arising came out of her lips, "Deimos-chan, you can stop now, I know you like to make pranks. This is another one, ne? Any moment now you're going to surprise me." But this was real, horribly real. Fear had become sadness, sadness had become pain, then madness and finally rage. "You…you…MONSTERS!!" With a bestial roar, Phobos gripped her rapier and charged, ready to behead all three demons with one blow. The one who was closest easily grabbed her arm and whipped her against the ground. Awful pain burned through her body.

"What are you blaming us for? It's not our fault she was alone. Where were you when we found her?"

"Nani?" Phobos gasped.

"That's right, where were you?" the gray-skinned demon repeated coldly, "You're her sister, aren't you supposed to look after her?-ARRGH!" Its hand was severed and when the demon turned to see, it received a kick in the face and was sent back several yards.

"You blame others for your own crimes?" Karasu shouted, "I'm going to remind you how this place got its name." The undead warrior leapt and landed in the middle of them. The trio attacked simultaneously but Karasu was able to block, evade and retort each blow, it was quite easy for him to gain the upper hand.

"Check the kid out, my brothers," one of the demons said as he wiped its lip, "a thoroughbred fighter. Hey! He's even starting to show his true nature."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Karasu demanded, "Qué!?" He glimpsed and noticed that his fingernails were growing, in fact, his whole hand was out of shape.

"A claw," another demon pointed out, "Crows are part demonic, you know. Actually, they are since they're alive. How else would you be able to become a zombie?"

"No, it's Raven who's doing this, I smell his handiwork."

"Oh, but did Raven give you your anger?" the third one questioned, "Nope, that was already in you." The warrior tried to throw and uppercut but was stopped by the pain of his jaw transforming. "There, you see? You're the one who's choosing to act like this," it stepped closer, "a demon."

"A monster."

"A destroyer. So let's get it through your thick skull." They started pounding him. Karasu fought back of course, but each violent move he made resulted in a new freakish feature, he could feel it. Just like the rest, he was being assaulted by his greatest fear.

And Phobos, she could have helped his friend, but instead chose to stay by her sister.

"Why did I leave you onee-chan?" she asked as she caressed her cold cheek, "Why are you leaving me?"

Kashaku and Jupiter had received quite a fright, but where unharmed and inside the plane.

"This guy has one creepy sense of surrealism," the thunder senshi grumbled, "Are you okay, Kashaku-kun?" His trembling was answer enough. "Is the claustrophobia getting too bad?" she asked with concern.

"It hasn't taken control of me yet, Lady Jupiter," the older man answered, "but I'd rather exit this craft as soon as possible."

"Hai." Jupiter could stand being inside a plane, but not surrounded by corpses. Illusion or not, not one of the passengers had survived. "Do you think you'll be able to fight if need be?"

"I think so. Why do you ask?"

"(sigh) Because Raven is so pathetically predictable." All of the bodies got up and attacked. The narrow space however aided the heroes, the zombies got in each other's way, and while Kashaku was not at his best, all he needed to do was swing his sword in wide arcs.

"Their number is likely to tire us if this battle continues. Lady Jupiter, do you think the use of your powers will be too dangerous?"

"We won't leave unharmed if use electricity," the brunette replied, "but it's our best shot at surviving this battle." She gathered her energy, "Supreme-(gasp)!!"

"Lady Jupiter, what!?-" That lapse of distraction allowed a zombie to grab Kashaku and throw him aside. Caught on the floor between the seats worsened his condition and his adversaries piled up on him. Despite all this, the guardian tried to see beyond, to where Jupiter was. He managed to see her back away slowly as two zombies approached.

"Okousan, Otousan?" The walking corpses said nothing, they just moaned menacingly. "It's a lie, Jupiter! Don't you dare believe it!!" she commanded herself, "It's the same trick he used against Uranus!!" She felt something behind her and turned, there she saw a totally different sort of zombie, a brunette infant with a ponytail.

"Wasn't it enough with their death that you had to kill me too?"

"Nani? I…I don't understand." The childlike Makoto frowned.

"You had to be so damn independent. Why didn't you accept having guardians? Then I, your childhood, would have lived longer."

"Lies, LIES!!" the thunder senshi insisted.

"If this wasn't real, you wouldn't need to reject it like so. Your own violence indicates how much you do believe this." Jupiter clutched her head and repeated the same words over and over, how all of this was fake. But there was one bit of truth, Jupiter did always resent having to grow up alone, and it was more than enough for Raven to manipulate.

Meanwhile, more and more zombies held Kashaku down. The sight of Sailor Jupiter being helpless and him being able to do nothing, triggered a memory buried deep inside.

If this continues, he thought, the warrior, the senshi, all shall be doomed…… But only if we allow it! He took a deep breath and ceased struggling, anyone would've thought that Kashaku was giving up, but he had learned. Jupiter had shown him that they could not fight this individually and directly, a new approach was needed. "WARRIOR!!"

"QUÉ!?"

The telepathic message jolted Karasu, who now looked totally inhuman, "Kashaku?"

"Listen carefully, Warrior. Lady Jupiter discovered our foe's plot, he's using our fears against us."

"I see," he now stood firm against the demons' blows, "that means Raven is nearby. But how do we get to him?"

"That I can't help you with," Kashaku's voice was fading, "I've reached my limit, you must find the answer alone."

"Kashaku?" No answer. His adversaries kept striking and each wound hurt intensely, but now he was focused. Raven's a fake, but he's still a crow, and defenses or not he has my weaknessesOf course.

"Demon and destroyer!" a demon continued mocking. It linked its fists and brought them down at full force upon the undead teen's back, Karasu caught them by the wrists.

"And pinche proud of it!" he claimed with a fanged smirk. He swung the demon and batted the other two away. Did Karasu suffer further change? He didn't care, he just rushed over to were Phobos knelt.

"Huh!?" The red-eyed girl was startled when pale claws grabbed hold of her head.

"Perdón, but this will hurt me worse than it does you."

*****

She didn't understand how, but Pluto felt her anguish disappear completely. The emerald-haired senshi raised her head and saw her friends, Jupiter and Mars, with equal looks of confusion. Yonder, she found Kashaku and Phobos aiding Karasu to his feet.

"Would somebody mind explaining what the hell happened?"

"Easy," Karasu chuckled weakly, "I realized Raven was connected to us in order to send those nightmares, and I remembered what happened the other night with Jupiter."

"Psychic backfire," Phobos guessed, "You tried to hurt me with your powers and most of the punishment was directed to him!"

"Right, and now Raven's down." The undead warrior took a deep breath as he finished recovering, "Let's go!"

It only took them a few more steps to finally reach their goal, and object of their collective loathing. Raven was on the floor, cringing with pain, Saturn stood by him impassively, both stood in front a cave

"Hime-chan!!" Pluto would've run towards her death if Jupiter hadn't taken hold of her. This gesture however did alert the warlock.

"You are as cunning as the bird you are named after, even if you only accomplishment was merely annoying me."

"Sure it was," Karasu mocked, "Let go of Saturn," he commanded with his hellish voice.

"I was already planning to leave her to you while I made my research." Raven took something out of his pocket and it at the heroes, drone eggs, black ones this time. "My new creation, demon drones. Have fun." He entered the cave and Saturn finally moved and took a battle stance.

"We'll take care of the bugs," Mars shouted, "Karasu, you get Saturn."

"Sí! Good luck!" The warrior slashed through two drones and made a beeline for his beloved. "Saturn, wake up!" He was about to put his hand on her when she flickered and changed to Hotaru, all bruised and with a bloody gash on her side. "No-GAAH!" Karasu was swatted away with the back of the Silence Glaive. He cursed himself for his stupidity. "Carlos, pendejo, you are one slow learner." He tried again several times but the once dark messiah's defense was too strong and he was instinctively holding back. Breathing heavily, Karasu got up and tried a new tactic. "How come you're not attacking, you purple-eyed witch?"

"Huh?" Saturn gripped her weapon tighter.

"That's right, I'm talking to you. Or should I add chicken to freakish." It was working, Saturn was getting angrier by the moment. "Come on you goth scarecrow, give me one right here!"

"YAAH!" The amethyst-eyed senshi attacked with a frightful roar. Karasu avoided the glaive and reached for her face, but received a kick on his instead. And if that wasn't enough, Saturn used her weapon to spin and deliver a second double kick.

"(moan) It seemed like a good idea." The warrior looked up and saw that Saturn stood still, gathering her energy. The others had finished off the drones and came over, they stopped cold when they saw what the pale senshi was doing.

"I've found what I need." Everyone heard Raven's mental voice, "Saturn, make sure no one else comes."

"You mad fool!" Kashaku yelled, "Do you know what will happen if she does that here?"

"I've prepared myself, carry on, Saturn." Energy crackled around the silent senshi.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute!" Karasu rushed to his feet, "Don't tell me she's going to use-"

"Death…"

"Saturn, stop this!!" Jupiter and Mars charged but were blasted away by the force field.

"…rebirth…"

"Death scream!" The time senshi's attack was dissolved. Kashaku and Phobos also tried and failed. Saturn raised the Silence Glaive above her head.

"Revolution!"

"IE!" "NO!"

"Hotaru-chan."

The blade stopped and inch away from the ground when Saturn heard that oh so gentle voice. Everyone else turned also, they saw a woman standing there, kind smile and shoulder-length black hair. Who was she? Warily, Karasu inspected more thoroughly, he gasped when he noticed her eyes.

"Is that-?"

"Momma?" The weapon fell from Saturn's hands and a veil was lifted from her eyes. She ran and embraced the ghost of her mother, so happy that she couldn't hold back the tears. "Momma, I was so scared! Oh, I was in such an awful place!"

"Hush, it was all just a nightmare, Hotaru-chan, we're with you now," Keiko assured.

"Tomoe-san," Mars whispered, "but how?" she looked over her shoulder and saw Deimos standing there with a triumphant grin.

"I knew Tomoe-sama would do it, no one else could free Princess Saturn with only a word." Shaking her head, Phobos chuckled and ran up to embrace her sister.

"Deimos-chan, I really must learn to listen to you," she squeezed her tighter, "Gomen, onee-chan."

Karasu watched the tender scene before him, his love looked so happy he dared not interrupt. Then he felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up! Fast as lightning, he spun and darted, grabbing Raven's wrist just as he was about to take the Silence Glaive.

"For a moment I thought you'd forgotten about me."

"Believe me, I'd love to." The undead warrior threw a punch, the warlock caught it. The latter then tried to twist the former's arms but Karasu spun with the move and delivered a kick to his opponent's crown. Enraged, Raven grabbed Karasu's head and slammed him on the floor.

Saturn became aware of the battle, she stood firm in front of her mother and cast her Silence wall. The rest of the senshi got closer, looking for an opening to strike at. Noticing his disadvantage, Raven decided to flee for now. He created a dark energy orb and blasted Karasu away with a hit to the stomach.

"Sparkling wide pressure!" "Mars flame sniper!" "Chronos typhoon!"

The false crow was barely able to avoid these attacks with back-flips, grabbing Saturn's weapon at the last one.

"I'll be waiting for you, Karasu no shi, be there or else." He vanished with a sadistic sneer. In the meantime, Saturn helped Karasu to his feet.

"My love, are you all right?"

"Funny," he answered with a chortle, "I was about to ask you the same thing." The violet-haired senshi gave a small laugh and they kissed briefly, then she turned towards her mother.

"Momma, I…"

"I know," the amethyst-eyed woman said sadly, "I too wish that we would be granted more time together, but you have a duty to perform and I am simply not allowed to stay." They hugged each other once again. Pluto walked up cautiously and bowed deeply. "Domo arigato, Setsuna-san, I couldn't have chosen better parents myself."

"Perhaps," the emerald-haired senshi replied, "but it was rather Hime-chan who chose."

"We must return to the higher level," Kashaku interrupted, "Only there can we create the portal, and we must leave now if the imposter is to be kept from his ambition."

"Hai," Mars responded, "Tomoe-san?"

"I can find my way back," she assured them with a warm smile, "Hurry, and take care." One by one, the heroes marched, Karasu and Saturn were last in line. "Navarro-san."

"Sí?"

"They're proud of you, they always were, don't you ever doubt that." He didn't know how to answer, finally he bowed and left. Sighing Keiko prayed for the safety of the young lovers as she faded away.

As soon as they were back in the plain, the former messengers opened the portal and the heroes entered. The silent senshi surveyed the place one last time.

The two-peaked mountain, she thought. In such a vast place, what were the odds of seeing it again?