Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Kishikata no Eos ❯ Duty ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kishikata no Eos

Chapter Three -- Duty

The tap of a cane against the freshly polished hallway accompanied the baritone voice of the Arronné family patriarch. At an imposing height of six and a half feet, Arrturo cast a shadow over the sylphlike figure of his only daughter who kept pace alongside of him.

"You should have brought Halle with you," he grumbled. "I don't pay him to sit in the servants' quarters, I pay him to accompany you when you go out."

"I told him to wait in the transport for us," she replied sweetly. "Did you really think I'd come with you to meet the Lunar Imperials without him?"

"Syrrene, you are delightfully unpredictable," he managed gruffly. "And your brothers?"

"Already at the docking station. Uncle Osvi's with them, too." She stopped, checking her reflection in one of the mirrors that adorned the hall. White-blond ringlets were pulled away from her face with a jewel-trimmed headband, and the light honeyed tan she'd acquired on a recent holiday made her aquamarine eyes stand out. She fixed a few strands of hair before rejoining her father. "Whatever would you do without me, Papa?"

"I'd be forced to rely on your mother for such things, and that's not something I want to think about," he answered dryly. "She doesn't have your attention to detail."

"Only when she shops," Syrrene corrected. "Is Serenity bringing her whole family here?"

"Unfortunately."

She pursed her lightly glossed lips. "Do they have personal guards?"

"It depends." He lifted his cane and rapped sharply on the door at the end of the hallway. "I believe she has a guard for her daughter, but not herself." The door swung open, revealing a jet-black transport waiting for them under an enormous canopy. "I suppose she believes that her husband can protect her."

Syrrene suppressed a cold laugh with the back of her hand. "Well, that's ridiculous. Can she not afford a second for herself?"

He sighed. "Their entire culture has so many archaic nuances based upon dead Terran customs, it's impossible to find the right reason." Before he could say more, a wall of a man emerged from the transport and held the door open for him. Clad in a white business suit, the onyx-skinned Halle bowed to both Arrturo and Syrrene.

"Pleasant day, Mr. Arronné, Miss Syrrene." Bass rumbled over the sound of the transport engine.

"That's entirely subjective, Halle," the older man replied. "How long until the shuttle from the Lunar Kingdom arrives?"

"Eight minutes, sir. Just picked it up on the near-surface tracking satellite."

He gave a gruff nod, waiting as his daughter fluidly slipped into the transport. "And I don't want to be late."

"Of course not, sir." He waited until Arrturo had joined Syrrene in the back seat, then firmly shut the door. Fitting himself into the front seat next to the driver, he signalled to the rest of the convoy. Seconds later, a line of six identical black transports wound their way through the streets towards the Pavori docking station.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dawn, now in her full regalia as Sailor Eos, stood nervously in a corner of the shuttle while the captain manoeuvred it into the docking station. Serenity fussed with her daughter's hair, smoothing the odangos she sported. Rini glanced up at Dawn and laughed.

"What?" Dawn's head snapped up.

"Will you take it easy? This is nothing," Rini said with a wave of her hand. "You're in the outfit, you're not alone, and everything is going just fine."

"So you say," she countered, fingers tugging at the hem of her top. It seemed to be more form-fitting than she remembered. "I bet none of the other female Pavori guards have something like this to wear." As she spoke, Endymion and Serenity exchanged expressions of identical concern. "What? Something I should know?"

"Do they have women as bodyguards?" Endymion queried.

The crescent on Serenity's forehead was suddenly caught in a field of worry lines. "Now that you mention it, I never saw any when I was there. Always men... I only met the women at luncheons, or on tours..." She trailed off, frowning at Dawn. "That isn't going to bother you, is it?"

"Bother me? I'm already scantily clad in a somewhat hostile society that now has never seen a woman in an official role as a bodyguard. What's there to be bothered about?"

Serenity massaged her temples. "Nothing... nothing at all." Her eyes closed, she searched for a way to resolve this situation.

"You know, this might be exactly what you need, dear." Endymion leaned back in his seat. "Why have her follow Pavori customs? She's a Senshi Guardian, not a hired thug."

One eye opened. "Go on."

"The Pavori claim to be all about tradition and bloodlines and hierarchy, right?" Serenity nodded at her husband slowly. "Well," he said, gesturing towards Dawn, "there is a tradition and evidence of bloodline that surpasses anything they could even hope to imitate."

"Who, me?" Dawn's voice squeaked. "How old are we talking about?"

"Well, the legacy of the Guardians pre-dates the pinnacle of the Silver Millennium," he answered. "You're a reminder of one of the oldest traditions of the Moon Kingdom."

"Oh."

"So you're just trotting her out for show? Like some fancy pet dog?" Rini leapt up indignantly. "That's not right!"

Endymion and Serenity exchanged looks of utter amusement. "Why do you think we brought you along on this trip?" her mother finally asked.

"You said it was a family thing, to present a non-threatening image to the... oh. Oh," she mumbled. "I see. This is one of those image things again."

"It's perpetually about image, dear," her father answered gently. "The Arronné family has tried to bully your mother around, which is why I'm here. You're along to complete the family picture so they don't see your mother as needing me along to back up her words."

"Oh."

"And Dawn is here for two reasons," Serenity explained. "One, to protect you, as is her duty as a Guardian. Two, to prove to the Arronnés that we are their equals, and that we are not to be trifled with."

The auburn-tressed Senshi squirmed uncomfortably. Hardly used to this kind of attention, she wished she could hide in the corner and simply wait for the trip to end. "I'm your big threat?"

Serenity bestowed a motherly smile on the young woman, crossing the shuttle compartment and putting an arm around her shoulders. "You're our big surprise, and I'm looking to you to keep these arrogant Pavori on their toes," she answered with a wink. "Don't think for a second they can order you around, and don't let them."

"If you say so, your Majesty." Dawn replied with a weak grin.

"Good girl. I think they're about ready," she said, peering out the window. "Has everyone arrived?"

"Yes, ma'am." The shuttle captain placed a hand on the console to open the door. "Arrturo and his daughter are at the end of the platform with her personal guard. His sons are in the south west corner of the station with their own guards, as well as Arrturo's brother."

"Anyone else?"

"Lieutenant Commander Rainault has been here for the past six hours. I believe she'll be meeting you this evening."

"Perfect. London, what would we do without you?" Endymion asked.

"Fly yourself, probably," he shrugged. "I'm only in this for the benefits." He ignored Rini's scowl and punched in the keycode. With a slight rush of air, the shuttle doors opened. Serenity exited first, followed by Endymion. Rini poked Dawn gently in the side.

"Go on. You've got to go before me."

Brown eyes wide as saucers, Sailor Eos took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly. /You've got royal permission to be a badass/, the little voice in her head sang. /You'll never have another chance like it, not as long as you live. Think this will happen when you get back to school? Hell, no. You're always claiming to be able to handle anything, no problem. What about this? Can you handle it, because you'd better. You're the ace in the hole, that secret play no one knows about. They're relying on you, so get your ass out there and play the part. Are you going to let those snotty Arronnés see you all terrified, or are you gonna flaunt what you've got and break some hearts in the process?/



The collective gasp and immediate murmuring in the docking station met Dawn's ears first, before she pulled her eyes away from the back of Endymion's head. In front of her, a sea of men dressed in what she might have considered formal business attire regarded her with varying degrees of suspicion and lascivious interest. Her own mother's voice echoed in her mind, and Dawn lifted her chin, pulled her shoulders back, and tucked her stomach in. Standing at strict attention and forcing a lack of emotion on her face, she stepped aside to let Rini walk ahead of her and then followed with a fluid yet regimented step.

"Lord Arronné," Serenity began with a smile upon reaching the end of the platform. "It's delightful to see you again."

"Likewise, your Majesty," he replied, pressing his hand to hers. "You've brought company, I see."

She stepped aside as Endymion bowed. "A pleasure to finally meet you, sir. And you, as well," he continued, taking Syrrene's offered hand. "May I introduce our daughter, Princess Serenity." Rini glided up and curtsied delicately, the demure smile on her lips hardly matching the hardness in her eyes as she looked upon Syrrene. "And this would be the Senshi Guardian, Sailor Eos."

"Guardian?" Arrturo's voice bore a carefully trained note of interest. "Is she an Imperial guard of some kind?"

A beat of silence passed before Dawn realized that Serenity and Endymion wanted her to answer the question. /Here goes nothing/... "Not exactly, Lord Arronné," she replied smoothly after bowing once. "I am a Senshi, and the personal Guardian of her Highness."

Arrturo nodded once, gripping his cane. "Well then," he managed, "I suppose that puts you on par with Halle, my daughter's personal guard." In response, Halle lifted his eyebrows and gave the slightest of nods. "Serenity, we've planned a dinner reception in your honour this evening, but I believe there's time to give your family a tour of the grounds."

"How lovely," she chimed. "You'll love the rose gardens, dear," she said to Endymion, laying a hand on his arm. "Absolutely exquisite..."



"You're not very old," Syrrene sniffed once her father had escorted Serenity and Endymion out of the docking station. "How long have you been doing this?"

"All my life, Lady Arronné," Dawn answered, suppressing the overwhelming urge to reply with a more sarcastic remark. Besides, the response was, for all practical purposes, completely true.

"/All/ your life?" She looked to Rini. "Is that possible?"

Rini gave Syrrene a cool smile. "Senshi Guardians are trained in their individual disciplines from the time they're old enough to walk. Eos has known me from birth, having been trained by our Planetary Senshi."

"And yet she and you seem to be the same age," the Pavori teenager noted, now circling Dawn as if to appraise her. "Interesting. So this is a hereditary position, with her family's services tied to Moon Kingdom royalty. That must cost a fortune," she mused aloud.

Well, this was simply getting out of hand. Dawn opened her mouth to speak, but Rini beat her to the reply. "Ah, Syrrene," she began with a coy smile. "A nuance of Lunar society and her beloved Senshi... serving one's kingdom as a Senshi is an honour rather than a duty. It's only fitting that we provide them with a residence and compensate for their living expenses."

"And while I could live anywhere in New Crystal Tokyo, a modest suite in the Imperial Palace is more than sufficient," Dawn finished, grateful for Rini's explanation.

"I see." Pale blue-green eyes regarded Dawn contemptuously for a moment before fixing on Rini. "You'll find a far more professional relationship among your Guardian's Pavori counterparts."

Dawn bit her tongue, aching to say more but deciding that she could find a better battle to attempt at a later date. Besides, Rini had managed Syrrene spectacularly up to this point. "Professional because they are hired and paid for their services?" She met the cold expression with a frosty one of her own.

"Professional in the respect that they do nothing to embarrass or endanger those they are entrusted to accompany and protect," answered Syrrene evenly.

"And what has she done to suggest that?" Rini silently prayed that Dawn would swallow her pride for a few minutes more while she dealt with Syrrene. At the moment, she had both hands behind her back and was slowly and deliberately clenching one fist. Her eyes had also gone from their usual warm chocolate colour to a shallow dark hazel, yet the rest of her face remained unchanged. Rini knew that it was only a matter of time before something sent her over the edge... she just hoped that it didn't happen until after they were out of Syrrene's company.

A sickly sweet smile lifted the corners of Syrrene's mouth as she motioned to Halle, who had remained behind her, silent and unmoving. "Halle would hardly find it proper to accompany me in such a flamboyant manner," she began, looking pointedly at the Senshi fuku Dawn wore. "In addition, he understands that my conversations do not expressly involve him, even when he may be the subject of discussion." Smugly, she brushed back strands of white-blonde hair as she regarded the pair. "Perhaps you should have familiarized yourself with Pavori customs before leaving your little crystal tower, Princess," she finished. "You might want to brush up on a few of them before dinner tonight."

"Perhaps I will," Rini replied evenly. "It could be a fascinating cultural study."

Syrrene nodded once, the satisfied smirk on her face enough to curl Dawn's fist into a tight ball such that her nails began to leave marks on the leather covering her palms. "Until this evening, then." She turned and left the main docking area, Halle following closely behind her. Once she was out of earshot, Dawn managed a throaty growl before turning to face Rini.

"I know, I know," Rini muttered, her left hand going to her forehead and massaging the space between her eyebrows. "You don't have to say anything, trust me."

"Yeah, if I'd said anything more, she might have been terribly offended, and we wouldn't want that to happen." Her voice oozing with sarcasm, she glanced down at her clothing. "If you'd like, I could work on making it all leather, with a laced up bodice and spiked thigh-high boots. You know, the whole Sailor Dominatrix look..."

Rini gasped. "You wouldn't..."

"If your mother let me, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and find a whip to keep handy. Maybe some purple lipstick, just to keep the colour scheme consistent." She held a pensive pose for a few seconds, then relaxed and laughed while the colour began to drain out of Rini's face. "Oh stop that. I won't do that... even though I'd love to see the look on her face if I henshined into that in front of her."

"Same here," Rini mused quietly, watching as one of the men in the corner of the station made his way over to them. Wearing a grey suit similar to Arrturo's and his hair slicked back into a short ponytail, Osvi bowed to Rini and took her hand.

"Ah, Princess Serenity," he greeted in an oily tone. "Osvi Arronné at your service. While my brother shows your parents the grounds of the estate, perhaps I can show you to the residence we've prepared for your stay."

Dawn's eyes narrowed at the gesture, immediately suspicious of the newcomer. Rini didn't appear too comfortable, either. "That would be very kind of you," she replied, her voice hesitant. "I'll make sure our shuttle captain follows with our belongings..."

"Oh, no need for that," he swiftly interrupted. "My nephews would be more than happy to assist you."

"That's very kind of them," she stammered, unable to refuse the gesture in time to prevent the two men and their personal guards from relieving London of most of the luggage. "I certainly hope it's not too far from here, my mother's not the lightest of travellers, clothing-wise."

Osvi laughed, a snide chuckle that cemented Dawn's opinion of the man. Tucking Rini's hand on his arm, he began to escort her towards a white transport. "On the estate grounds, actually. A lovely little cottage, recently renovated to accommodate such royal needs as your own."

Dawn swiftly moved to Rini's other side, falling into step with them. Behind them, the quartet of impromptu baggage handlers followed, whispers muffled by the heavy thud of boots. Dawn turned her head once out of curiosity, and was met with four very rude sneers, identical in contempt. She forced a wide smile on her face and winked at one of them before facing forward again.

At that point, Osvi seemed to remember that there was someone on Rini's other side. "And this would be your personal assistant, I assume?"

"Oh, where are my manners?" Rini stopped, extracting her arm from his grasp. "May I introduce Sailor Eos, a Senshi in service of the Moon Kingdom and my personal guardian."

"Guardian?"

"I believe she is the equivalent of one of your nephews' personal bodyguards," the Princess replied sweetly.

The older man stifled what might have been a snicker. "Indeed," he said slowly, tone and expression showing his lack of belief. "And this is the standard dress for one of your Guardians?"

"It was either this or the full leather catsuit, sir," Dawn quipped merrily as Rini's eyes widened in shock. "Since her Highness prefers the Senshi fuku, I left the other uniform in New Crystal Tokyo." She gave Osvi the same dazzling smile and wink that she had bestowed upon the other four, but he seemed more amused by her actions than anything.

"What a delightful girl," he laughed. "I can see why you keep her with you, your Highness. Quite a sense of humour."

"Quite," she echoed, unsure of whether to chew Dawn out or thank her for the excuse to get away from Osvi.

"Well, shall we?" He opened the door to the transport for Rini, who ducked inside. Before Dawn could follow, Osvi blocked her path. She regarded him coolly, her boots giving her the inch and a half she needed to look him in the eye.

"You'll do best to remember that you're no longer in the Moon Kingdom, Miss," he warned in a low tone. "Such actions and words could place you on the wrong side of my brother's otherwise good nature."

Dawn's eyes registered a bit of surprise and annoyance, but she nonetheless found the dazzling smile she'd used previously. "Thank you for the advice," she answered simply. With that, she bowed and entered the transport, sitting such that she created a barrier between Rini and anyone else who might join them.

"What did he say?" Rini asked, her lips barely moving over the whisper.

"Let's just say that the Pavori already aren't too fond of me," she murmured.

"How's that?"

"They're trying to tell me to behave." Dawn's eyes glittered with mischief. "Should I?"

"No."

"Good. I didn't plan to."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Breandon swirled the wine in his glass. Expensive wine, dazzling guests, polite hosts, the enticement of royalty ... he'd seen it all before, and it was boring. Even his LISA cousin, lounging against a pillar in formal uniform, wasn't really out of place nor unique. He fended off another attempt by the little Arronné daughter to capture his arm -- and not so incidentally his attention -- and let his gaze roam.

It stopped more or less abruptly by one of the huge windows, captured by a fiery sunset vision that contrasted sharply with the stark white or pale tones of over half the guests.



For once, Serenity and Rini had been right. This was fun, in a strange sort of way. Granted, she had gone completely against Pavori custom and not worn the tradition white of a bodyguard. At the same time, she relished the stares she was getting... friendly or not, it meant attention, or fear, or curiosity. Dawn knew better than to think it was out of respect. Giving a wink to one of the white-clad men standing behind the Arronné family, she glided past the table and took a spot next to one of the floor-to-ceiling windows. Sunset spilled onto her hair, creating a dazzling coppery effect that, when combined with the burgundy wine of her dress, made for an absolutely stunning image.

Catching her reflection in the glass, Dawn did her best to keep the smug grin confined to the crinkle of her dancing brown eyes. Perfect, just perfect... better than that black atrocity she'd had to wear before. Another second of indulgence, and she returned her attention to the rest of the party. Amidst a sea of white on the far side of the room sat an all-too-familiar figure in a striking shade of deep purple. A smile brought the corner of her mouth up, and she made her way gracefully to the head of the table. Spreading the skirt of her gown and giving a curtsy, she nodded respectfully to Syrrene.

"My apologies for disturbing you, but you look absolutely stunning this evening. I've never seen a dress quite like that."

Syrrene sniffed, regarding Dawn as one might a dirty and out of place child. "It's a Rainault original." She gestured to Breandon. "He designed it, by request of my father."

A crimping at the corners of Breandon's mouth showed what he thought of the whole business, but he said nothing.

"Well, it certainly is perfect for you," Dawn replied warmly. /All right, you catty wench, two can play this game./ "Always a pleasure to see you, my dear Rainault," Dawn finished with a decidedly dazzling smile. "We just seem to meet in the most unlikely of places."

"You consider this unlikely? Surely, lovely maiden, this is the perfect setting for one of your fiery beauty." He gestured to Syrrene, wearing pastel, and then back to Dawn in her burgundy. Then he smirked.

Serenity's reminder about this being the perfect setting to play games resounded in Dawn's head. "It's not my place to show off," she answered with a surprised laugh. "I'm merely here as a guest, whereas Lady Arronné would be considered the true belle of the ball." Clasping her hands in front of her, she bowed respectfully to Syrrene. "My apologies for disturbing you. Thank you again for such a wonderful dinner." Syrrene said nothing, reciprocating with an icy nod of her head. With that formality finished, Dawn gracefully returned to her place in the sunset, head held high.



Breandon followed her with his gaze, then looked at Syrrene. "Was that, strictly speaking, necessary? She does belong to the Princess."

"What do you mean by necessary?" She arranged a loose curl over her shoulder, hoping to conceal the annoyance brought on by that young woman's interruption.

Mildly, he replied, "Dawn is somewhat excitable. One would think that it would be unwise to regard such a person with that style of glance. But never mind. I believe I will leave you to your games, my dear." He bestowed a falsely saccharine smile on Syrrene, rose, and began to meander over toward his cousin.

Winter Rainault, spotting her distinctively attired cousin, rolled her eyes and tugged on the blouse of her uniform tunic. As he neared, she muttered, "Browsing for bedmates again, cousin?"

"Hardly. In this crowd, they offer themselves." He gestured back toward Syrrene. "How does our little Guardian?"

"How the hell should I know? I'm not here to keep an eye on /her/."

"Mind your tongue, cousin," he soothed.

"Go ask yourself."

"I might, at that. I just might." He provided her with a more honest smile than the one shown to Syrrene, and wandered off again.



A nudge at Dawn's arm made her tense, and then relax at the sight of the Lunar shuttle's captain and LISA plain-clothes agent. One eyebrow delicately arched, she smiled at the slightly older man. "Well, Captain London. To what do I owe this surprise?"

Brad London rolled his eyes at the formality as he gave a perfunctory bow. "Stop. Just stop the games, and listen. That one," he continued, eyes darting in Syrrene's direction, "is not one to play with. The rest of 'em, be my guest."

"Who, Lady Arronné?" /Gotta keep it up for the eavesdroppers/, she thought.

"No, Rainault. I'm telling you, he's more trouble than he's worth," he hissed. "He'll just -"

"Just what?" Dawn asked suspiciously. "If you think that's an attempt to throw myself at him, you've got another thing coming." All traces of formality gone, she fought the urge to poke London in the chest. "I've got a score to settle with that pompous jerk, and I plan to fight fire with fire."

London suppressed what sounded like a very nasty chuckle. "Then you're ahead of the game. I guess they were right about you."

"About what?"

"You can take care of yourself."

"Damn right I can." She flashed an alluring smile that almost brought Brad to his knees and winked. "I think I'll start taking care of things right now."



Breandon collected another glass of wine from a pretty blonde server, winking at her to make her blush and giggle. Taking his wine, he wandered a little further, out on to a balcony that was thankfully deserted. Folding his arms on the rail, he watched the blazing sunset for a while, trying not to think. Trying not to realise that Winter's remarks had not only been uncharacteristically catty, but wholly untrue as applied to him.

Trying not to recognise that the blame for that could be laid at the feet of a redhead in a devastating burgundy gown.



"Diamonds. They actually made you sew diamonds into the bodice of that gown?" Dawn stood behind him, fingernails tapping slowly against the champagne flute she'd acquired. "I assumed you wouldn't stoop to something like cubic zirconium."

He turned around so fast his wineglass flew off the railing, shattering some forty feet below. Colour ran high into his face.

Smoothly, Dawn offered him her untouched flute. "Didn't mean to startle you," she lied sweetly. "But they were diamonds, weren't they?"

Breandon ignored the champagne. "Oh, my, yes. Nothing less for the youngest daughter of the mighty Arronnés," he managed to get out, recovering some semblance of his normal flair.

She glanced back at his former companion, who was surrounded by her brothers and their attachés. "Pardon the observation, but it's not your best work."

"Nothing more for the youngest brat of the overbearing Arronnés," he returned. Usually, he would moderate such remarks, but the evening had been sufficiently stressful that he just didn't give a damn any more who heard him.

She feigned a sip of champagne. "I see... well, I took your advice," she said sweetly, stepping back into the sunlight. "Was this a more suitable choice?"

He looked her up and down, much more obviously and pointedly this time. "Quite." He stepped forward to circle around her, pausing again when he returned to face her. Before she could really react, he reached forward and adjusted the position of a curl.

Dawn blinked, feeling a blush creep into her cheeks. /Stop that... you're supposed to be exhibiting some control here.../ "Something wrong with the hair? I did try to keep away from that ridiculous odango tradition."

He took his hand away slowly. "It's fine. It's lovely. You're lovely."

Dawn lowered her eyes as the blush took over her complexion. Her voice trembled slightly as her throat tightened involuntarily. "Oh. Um, thank you. Thanks very much," the reply came in an almost demure whisper.

"You're welcome."

They stood there just sort of staring at each other, until Breandon shook himself and turned back to the sunset, perceptibly lower. "How do you like your first official duty off-planet?"

She swallowed, fingers absently rubbing the fabric of her skirt. "It's not at all what I expected," she finally managed. "It's far more low key than..." She stopped herself from saying, 'last time.' "What I'd been led to believe."

"I suppose this /would/ be considered low-key ... have you offended all their bodyguards yet?"

"What, by wearing red, blowing kissies before the dinner started, and flaunting cleavage with this dress? Nah, they hardly know I exist," she teased.

He turned to look over his shoulder. "You were what? Kisses?" He squished the anger rising absurdly inside.

"It's better than gesturing rudely and asking for a brawl in the middle of dinner." She gave a shrug. "Seriously, I don't think they're all that fond of me. Must be the female factor."

He smiled. "The Pavori take their bodyguards very seriously. You are breaking all of their traditions, being both lovely and visible, and you are completely out of their parlance."

"Explain to me how dressing in white makes one invis ..." She trailed off as two of the Arronné brothers approached her, their own guards in tow. Dawn whirled and beamed up at them, a low curtsy following. "Good evening. This is a lovely surprise."

One of the Arronné men scowled at her. "You claim to be the bodyguard for the Princess of the Moon Kingdom?"

She stiffened, "Yes, I am the personal Guardian of Princess Serenity," she answered, emphasizing the /am/. "Is there a problem?"

Breandon turned, resting his elbows on the railing, to watch the fun over her shoulder.

"No problem," the other replied. "We just have trouble believing that someone of your stature could be of the same calibre as one of our Pavori guards."

The eyebrow arched skyward of its own accord, Dawn unable to control her facial display of sarcasm. "Really. I'm sorry to hear that you're unacquainted with the Sailor Guardian line. The history itself is terribly fascinating."

The first man took a menacing step towards her, looking down at her. "I find that hard to believe. Senshi are merely scantily clad sorceresses, are they not?"

"Clearly the history and culture of neighbouring areas are neglected here on Pavori. Perhaps you would like to rephrase that comment while you still have your health?" Breandon drawled, not moving from his lazy posture. "I'd hate to run you through for such easily-remedied ignorance."

"You WHAT?" He brushed against Dawn in a decidedly ungentle manner on his way to where Breandon stood. "Are you threatening me?"

/Yeah, are you?/ Dawn thought to herself. /I can take care of me just fine, wouldn't be here if I couldn't.../

Breandon looked him up and down. "Now that would be foolish, wouldn't it. On the other hand, you did insult my entire culture, so either you are hopelessly ignorant or deliberately rude, one of which may be remedied and the other may not. You choose." He allowed a small smile to curl across his lips, grateful that Pavori society allowed him a rapier with formal dress.

He snorted, glancing back at one of the two mobile walls that had accompanied them. "It sounded like a threat, didn't it?" The duo nodded, showing little movement or emotion otherwise.

"If not a threat, then definitely an insult," the other replied, hand resting against the hilt of his own weapon.

"Now, now... such tempers!" Dawn delicately stepped between them, one hand on her collarbone in mock distress while the other held her glass. "Perhaps we could simply sit down and..."

"Perhaps you should remember where you are and to whom you're speaking," one of the guards growled. "You have absolutely no place in this conversation... Lady," he finished grudgingly.

Breandon's hand came down with a smack against the railing. "As I recall, the initial remarks were addressed to the lady. Though, unless my memory is remiss, I do not believe there was any courtesy in the address." He stood up straight, painfully aware of the height differences. "Now, since you seem so determined to take insult, perhaps you should like I should give you a one to be insulted by, thou half-grown stripling? The lady is thy guest, and not for thy low sport. An thou must needs play, do thee play with me. Leave the lady out of it." The Arronné opened his mouth to reply, and Breandon spoke again. "/And/ the guards. I am /thy/ opponent, thou overblown frog's son." With a slick metallic sound, he unsheathed his rapier in open challenge.

Dawn's eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. It was one thing for someone to defend you verbally; it was another issue entirely when it involved weapons and possibly blood. Quite honestly, she didn't see the need for that... and while the giggly romantic hidden far beneath felt a deep satisfaction in the defence of her girlish honour, the liberated twenty-something believed that she had to at least try to stick up for herself in her own right. Luckily, she could wax formality too.

"That might be true," she replied, eyes now locked with one of the guards in open defiance. "And yet, they found it fitting to challenge my skill, my calling, and my very heritage? Could it be perchance they believed they were not fit to defend themselves against a man, and might thereby be successful against one assumably weaker and more delicate?" Teeth bared, she spoke through them, dropping formality. "Guess what? Not weaker, hardly delicate, and perfectly fit to take any of you on hand to hand."

One of the guards, a fair-skinned blonde with sea-green eyes, leaned over her. "Is that so?" A heavy hand gripped her shoulder, her skin going white with pressure.

Breandon pricked the guard's hand with the rapier. "The lady is under my protection -- and her own. Hands OFF."

The guard drew his hand back slowly, blood having trickled over his thumb. "Unwise, Rainault," the first of the brothers replied. "She was perfectly willing to defend herself."

"Whereas you require someone to fight for you," Dawn snapped. "Would you really want to test the abilities of a Senshi? Causing such a mess in the middle of your father's lovely dinner party wouldn't be considered good manners."

"Senshi," he scoffed. "Hardly. If you desire, Rainault, we can see to this in the courtyard immediately."

Breandon bared his teeth. "I require an oath from you first, dog. Swear that you'll keep your bodyguards out of it, and I'll see that you survive my lessoning." He set the tip of the rapier on the flagstones and rested both hands on the pommel.

"Done."

The group processed silently back inside, down the stairs, and into an open courtyard immediately below the balcony.

"Could you please explain what you're doing?" Dawn hissed as she followed Breandon into the grassy area.

"Redressing a major insult to my people," he returned coldly. "This isn't for you." Clearly, he was spoiling for a fight.

Dawn appeared visibly hurt by the remark. "And why am I not involved, as I was being insulted and far more insulting to them than you were?"

"That's NOT it. Rather, I'm not fighting your behalf, as it's quite clear that you can fight your own battles." He gestured with the rapier at the brothers. "I'll leave you one. Which would you rather have?"

She eyed them coolly. "The one who has a Kappa class phaser tucked behind his left boot. I don't think your rapier is going to fare too well against that." She lifted her skirts and sat neatly on a nearby bench. "And make yours get rid of his. They're both armed."

He grinned at her, a dangerous light coming into green eyes. "I've been doing this for years, darling." Turning back to the brothers, he lifted the rapier and pointed at the brother Dawn hadn't claimed. "I'm sure even you have some sense of honour, so these are the rules. You," still pointing," will fight me. Also with a rapier. Get rid of your other weapons. Now." He brushed off the guards and other brother. "You will stand aside until either he or I surrenders. I'll let the lady choose how to deal with you then."

"Oh, go ahead and shoot," she replied offhandedly, absorbed in a chipped nail. "I'm impatient."

"En garde."

There wasn't much to see, of the fight, only Breandon's long flying ponytail and the sharp glitters thrown off by the rapiers. Metal clashed once, twice, thrice, then the Arronné's sword made a high, sharp curve in the air. He clutched a hand close to his chest. "Do you surrender?" Breandon breathed into his face, holding the rapier close to the other's throat. Fury flashed in the Arronné's eyes, but he grudgingly surrendered.

"Take that as a lesson to be more circumspect in your words to a Lunar. Especially of Senshi line." Breandon stood back and sheathed his sword contemptuously.

Dawn stood, applauding. "Lovely," she chimed. "Now, my turn. You," she said, gesturing to her opponent. "You get your phaser. I prefer a slightly updated version of the classic duel." Armed with the weapon, he towered over her menacingly, an action that Dawn ignored. "Now, five paces, turn, and draw. To stun, I would think?" She winked at the second Arronné, then turned her back. "And... begin."

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

"Four."

As Dawn's lips formed the last word, a burst of white-hot plasma scorched the skin between her shoulder blades. Another caught her in the solar plexus, and a third seared the right side of her ribcage. Dawn's body spasmed violently, a short series of jerky movements accompanied by the accumulation of a lavender mist about her body. She regained motor control seconds later, a very unladylike sneer on her face.

"THAT was most unbecoming a gentleman," she growled, as light enveloped her figure, replacing the ruined dress with her fuku. "And it wasn't too bright, either. EOS DAYBREAK REFLECTION!"

A carefully aimed trio of rose and orchid pulses whizzed past each of her assailants, singeing clothing and massacring some very lovely azaleas. "Surrender?"

He surrendered.

Breandon applauded Dawn's battle, as well, then offered her his arm to progress back upstairs.

"Why, how decidedly chivalrous," she drawled, resting her fingertips on his arm. "Thank you."

"As I told you when we first met, I am at your service any time, my lady." His skin warmed at the touch of her. Brave, brilliant, powerful, unafraid and unashamed -- he cut off that line of thought immediately. He'd been warned.

And from the look on Rini's face at the top of the stairs, that would happen again relatively soon. Flanked by Winter and Capt. London, Rini positively shook in fury.

"What... by the Crystal, what did... how could... YOU!" She turned on Breandon, rage building. "What possessed you to put on that display in plain view of the entire group? And why were YOU there?" She glared at Dawn, still in her fuku. "Why THIS?"

"I don't think my dress would be all that appropriate now," she answered honestly. "It's torn in several immodest places due to three phaser blasts."

"Phasers? Someone fired on you?" London scowled while Winter's carefully trained eyes began an almost unconscious sweep of the immediate area.

"Just /her/. I had more sense than to let them shoot at me." Breandon cast a reproachful look at Dawn.

"Sense? You just had a duel in the courtyard with the sons of the most powerful man in Pavori society," Rini hissed. "If that's not foolish, then I don't know what is. I thought you knew better than that, what with your cousin being here."

He folded his arms and assumed a languid pose. "You had rather I allowed them to make erroneous and insulting statements about an aeons-old tradition that, unless I am much mistaken, you are also part of? Listen, Your Highness," and abruptly his body was tense with fury, "I understand that you have to keep up face -- which means ignoring that sort of thing with a smile. But I'm not here as part of your little game, and my life goes by my rules. You might deign to notice that I /won/ my duel, upholding both your honour and mine without you having to get your delicate hands dirty. So mind your own business, and I'll mind mine." He pushed himself off the pillar and turned to stalk away, then turned back. "And don't you ever threaten me with my cousin again."

Rini stood, open-mouthed, unable to come up with a response. Dawn glanced between them, shivering in her fuku. "For all practical purposes, it wasn't his fault. They began by threatening me, and he managed to keep the altercation to something more civil than I would have done."

Struck by a sudden impulse -- prompted in no little part by Dawn's shiver -- Breandon silently held out his hand toward her, meaning to lead her off somewhere away from undeserved blame.

She smiled at him, catching sight of Syrrene herself in a corner with her brothers and their respective attachés. "Well, it's been a blast, no pun intended, but I think it might be time for all of us to leave. Could you please make sure that she stays with her parents? I doubt I'm very welcome here at the moment." London nodded gruffly, while Winter gave a slight inclination of her head. "Thanks, I owe you guys one."

Rini threw her hands up in the air. "Fine, go on. I'll let Mom know what happened, although I don't know what she'll say. The way she was talking earlier, you'd have thought she wanted you to cause trouble."

"I didn't /cause/ trouble," Dawn objected, resting her icy hand in Breandon's outstretched palm. "I reacted to the situation... and I /did/ try to diffuse it first."

Breandon closed his hand over hers and began to pull, forbearing to contribute anything more to the argument. But Winter had to have the last word. She levelled narrow, intensely green eyes at Breandon. "Someday, someone is going to beat you ... and I hope to be there to see it." Breandon flinched, but still didn't speak.

Rather than hang around, Dawn responded to the gentle tug on her hand, welcoming the warmth. "C'mon, we'd better get out. I don't think we've made any friends this evening," she whispered softly, worry in her voice.

"You intended to?" he returned, with a startled laugh. "Let me take you somewhere where you can get something warmer to wear. Damn, I should have worn a jacket," he muttered. Dawn didn't think she was supposed to hear that last part. She followed him out of the [ballroom], slightly awed as he negotiated the maze of the house with no difficulty and brought them out to the front.

Looking both ways, he tucked her hand under his arm and began to lead the way up the street.