Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Medieval Menagerie ❯ Memories ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 2: Memories

Kyoko fumed, how dare he touch her in such a manner; he had never laid a hand on her before. She understood if he was angry but that was no excuse for touching her like that. She let the thought slide away as the memory of the face in the mirror re-entered her thoughts. The man had been so familiar, she realized now. Something about him had touched her in a very intimate way. She was still thinking about the whole situation when she realized that she was not trying to catch up with her father now, she was walking toward her tower. She laughed; ironically that was where she always ended up when she had something on her mind.

She stopped abruptly as she heard footsteps behind her. They were light and the person sneaking up on her was obviously trying to take her by surprise. She spun and sucked in a short breath as she saw Taiyan's fist sailing toward her nose. Unfortunately his reflexes were not as fast as her own. She ducked and rammed her fist into his gut, as she slid under his legs. Something feral and angry rose up in her then, she tried to fight it back, she'd felt this once before and had nearly killed the person it had been directed toward. Taiyan doubled over groaning painfully, she saw his sword in his hand and her anger grew. He had intended........... She could not even finish the thought. She let go of her power then. Pain sailed through her body, covering every inch of her as if death itself was eating her alive, but yet she still lived and breathed. Kyoko felt herself sliding away, and something horrible and evil rise to take her place. The evil grinned at its victim; she would show no mercy to this coward.

Before he knew what was happening, he was flying through the air toward the wall to his right. He was slammed into it face first, he heard his sword clatter to the floor. Then the unseen force dropped him to the ground, where he landed like a rag doll, sprawled out on his back. He got shakily to his knees, looking around for his sword. He spotted it not far from a table, he reached toward it but it was lifted from the ground once more, by a glowing hand. He looked upward at Kyoko's face. He fought down the scream that invaded his throat. She was glowing a hue of aqua, her eyes were two black orbs, her pupils expanded so there was no white in her eyes at all. Her mouth was twisted into an evil grin of madness, malice and anger covered her features. She looked like death, her golden brown hair was rippling with an unseen energy, at the same time she was a magnificent creature, a cruel beauty is how most would have described her. She held his sword tip to his throat and he felt something wet slide down his cheek. He had never cried in his whole life, but now he feared dying, and he would beg for his life, if he was not so frozen with terror.

She watched the weakling cry and cower before her. She felt anger and nothing but hate as she watched him piddle at her feet. He was a useless disgusting shit, not worthy of the breath he had been given to live. She smiled and bent so he could see her more clearly as she came to eye level with him. "Still want to kill me little prince? I fear that you would be making a grave mistake if you tried. See I'm not what you think, I never have been. Fortunately for you I will show mercy in this particular case if you leave this place now and never return. I would love to sit here and chat with you much longer but I am summoned only when my mistress needs protecting. I do hope we won't meet again. So are you going to leave now like a good little boy?" the voice hissed at him, it wasn't Kyoko’s, it was something a lot more evil and cruel.

He found that he nodded and quickly stood, backing slowly away from the creature before him. He slid around her slowly as she watched him, her eyes returning to the color of Kyoko's beautiful, rich brown. He saw her face slacken into an exhausted frown, she was trembling, and his sword once again clattered to the floor. He turned then and ran. Kyoko came back to herself slowly, realizing what had just happened. She had lost control, as she always did when she became angry. She knew she was probably still glowing, she looked up and turned toward the stairs to her tower. She needed to lie down; the power that surrounded her always drained her. She trudged up the stairs slowly, each step harder then the last. Finally reaching the top she went to the bed and lay down. Staring at the ceiling she felt herself start to drift off.

*Dream Sequence*

The breeze felt delicious on her face as she looked up at the sky. The sun shone brightly warming her to the core of her being. She smiled as a handsome face bent down to hers, and a hand touched her face. "I never stop loving you, I'm still here Kyoko." she heard a soft voice whisper. She smiled, though she was puzzled. She didn't know this person, had never met him before. *How strange* she thought as the handsome face disappeared. She looked around her, she was in her garden, but everything looked.......younger somehow. There was a swing tied to a tree not far off. A young woman sat next to her, she looked up at the woman, and she smiled back.

"Why are you looking as if you've never seen me before little one?" the woman asked.

"No reason Geanna, for a moment there I felt something......strange" Kyoko heard herself replying, though she had not intended to speak. She then realized where she was, and what time she was in. This was a childhood memory, when she had been no older then six years old, only a year older then Marian.

"You are a silly girl Ky." Geanna laughed as she handed Kyoko a necklace of flowers she had just finished. "These will be lovely in your hair. Here let me pin it in for you."

Kyoko's younger self laughed happily, holding the little ring of flowers as Geanna pinned them firmly in place. "How do they look?" Kyoko asked as she stood and twirled modeling the flowers in her hair.

“Beautiful, you are growing into a magnificent beauty Ky. One day you will have your choice of suitors across the land, and they will all be competing for your hand in marriage." Geanna smiled at the little girl. She loved Kyoko like the child was her own, but she was only the nanny, she was not very old at all, only 21, the youngest in her profession she knew, but she seemed to have a knack with children that had landed her this job.

"Ahem," someone cleared their throat as both woman and child looked at the person it had come from. "Miss Geanna, cook has asked that you please run into town and fetch a few things for dinner. He would have asked one of his servants to do it but seeing as the two boys seemed to be missing at the moment, you and myself are the only ones able to run his errands for him."

"But....Godric, I can't possibly, especially not with Kyoko, she is not aloud in town at such a young age. It is forbidden," she said panicking slightly.

"The child can go as long as the king and queen never find out about it." he said eying Kyoko in a manner that ordered she not say a word.

"I won't tell no one Geanna, I promise, I would love to see town. With so many people...please?" Kyoko cried excitedly throwing herself on Geanna and hugging the woman tight.

Geanna smiled slightly, nervously and knew that she would end up bending the rules just this once. She had seen Kyoko just the other day staring off toward the town, the little girl never got out, she had not even one friend to play with in the palace. It would be nice for her to at least once see something other then the walls that contained her from real life. She nodded slowly and Kyoko giggled and jumped off her lap and started hopping around excitedly.

A few minutes later Geanna had the little girl outside the gates of the palace, and walking toward town. The little girl was already looking around as if she had never seen such sights before. Kyoko took a deep breath, the air smelled like wood burning, and like cooks kitchen before a grand feast. She saw people not far off in the fields, sitting on the ground doing something very odd. "Geanna, what are they doing?" Kyoko asked pointing to the people.

"Oh, they are planting things, seeds little one. Do you remember when I showed you how to plant that tiny rose?" Geanna asked taking the little girls hand gently, "They are planting things like corn, peas, and other vegetables that grow and they harvest them and then sell or eat them." she explained,” Those people are called farmers. They make their living selling their vegetables. All around you there are people struggling to live. They must work hard to feed their own children, and themselves." Geanna went on.

"Does daddy farm?" Kyoko asked looking up at the red haired woman.

“No sweetheart, your daddy does far more important things." Geanna lied. She couldn't tell Kyoko the truth. She would learn someday when she was older that the king did nothing really except govern the people in this town. How he taxed his people, and ruled with a very iron hand, most of the town’s people despised him, and that’s what fed her little charge.

Kyoko stared at everything along the way and asked many questions, but she grew silent as they came toward the town. The little girl overwhelmed by the sights and the sounds of everything around her. Kyoko giggled as she saw a man juggling fruits, he was wearing a very colorful costume and there was a little bell on his hat that would jingle merrily when he spun as he juggled.

They passed more strange people doing very odd things that Kyoko had never seen before. Like the woman who was dancing rather erotically to the music a man was playing, she had little instruments on her fingers and she made them make joyful music in tune with her feet. It was odd to Kyoko but she found herself wishing she could dance like that. She was fascinated by the man who was walking over hot coals. She wondered how he could do that without getting hurt. There was still another man that made a snake dance from a basket, with a very alluring tune, she giggled at that and thought she herself would want to dance from the basket. There were people around each of these acts watching, and Kyoko couldn't help but notice that each had a pot where people were throwing coins into them. That’s when she would tug on Geanna's hem and ask what they were doing.

"These are circus folk little one. Like the farmers they must earn their living through dancing or any other talents they might possess. The people enjoy their shows, so they give them coins in return for their entertainment. These circus folk are dangerous though, so you must try and not linger too long. There are pick pockets around that also steal from honest people." Geanna explained as she led Kyoko toward a little market tent.

Kyoko nodded understanding, but yet she still wondered what her own father did to earn all the gold and silver in their vaults. She had to remember to ask him. Geanna led her through the aisles as Kyoko looked at all the spices, fruit, vegetables and other various brick-a-brack. At one point she stood and stared at a beautiful doll, with the most enchanting smile she had ever seen. Kyoko was startled out of her trance when someone bumped into her. She looked over annoyed, blue eyes greeted her.

"Hello," a little boy smiled at her, and took her hand. The boy placed a kiss on her hand and then let it go. "My names........errrrrrr Kaida." he said uncertainly, as if he didn't remember his own name.

"My name is Kyoko." she replied, the boy struck her as somehow odd. But she smiled back and curtsied politely.

"Are you an angel?" he asked eying her playfully.

"Ummmm,” she stuttered blushing uncontrollably, a strange warm feeling traveled through her as she looked into the little boy’s eyes. They were so familiar to her, as if she knew him from somewhere. She was about to ask him when she was interrupted by Geanna, who took her hand and looked at the little boy warningly.

"Come Kyoko, its time to leave now." she said completely ignoring the boy, knowing that he was probably just a pick pocket, not that she blamed the lad, it was hard times in the city and most families had trouble feeding their young ones. She herself was helping her poor family to make it with the salary she got from watching Kyoko.

Kyoko let Geanna pull her away, looking back at Kaida sadly. She had been enjoying their conversation greatly. She sighed as Geanna paid for their things and they left the market. She let Geanna lead her away, she was no longer interested in all the things she been curious about. Her mind was on the little boy with the beautiful bright blue eyes. She didn't notice when Geanna and herself entered a large crowd of people and she became separated from her nanny. She just kept walking along, holding onto a different hand altogether.

"Look what I found." a rough voice laughed startling Kyoko from her thoughts.

"Pretty little girl, I have a hunch she’s not what she seems. Look at that dress, that’s gold fabric, she has to be royalty. Look at her, all clean and scrubbed. Why I think we've bagged ourselves a small fortune." another voice replied.

Kyoko looked at the two men who stood in front of her. They were wearing costumes. Much like the ones she'd seen on the circus folk on the way into town. She was getting a very bad feeling about this situation. She sensed she was in danger. She turned to run but one of the men grabbed her arm, pulling her roughly off her feet, and throwing her into a little cage. She cried out as she landed, she looked down at her hand; it was twisted in a very odd fashion. She felt tears spring to her eyes as pain started to travel through her body. She had never been handled in such a manner. She was a princess; it was treason to harm her. Her small body trembled uncontrollably as the men sneered down at her.

"Pretty little thing aren't you?" one of the men whispered, his hand came through the bars, and grabbed her by her hair. "You be good now and later we might let ya out." he whispered as his gaze traveled over her little body. Something Kyoko didn't understand crossed over his face as his hand traveled to the hem of her dress, and lifted the material. She smacked his hand angrily. The man looked up at her and she cringed, his expression was deadly. "Do that again brat, and I'll be forced to punish you in a manner you wouldn't understand." he hissed.

"Come on, let’s go, wes got business to attend to. You can have fun with her later." the other man said looking around nervously. "Put her out, would ya, we can't have her calling for help while we are gone."

"Yeah yeah," the man holding her hair said, his grip tightening on her head.
Before Kyoko knew what had happened the world went dark. The men shuffled out of the tent looking around making sure that no one had seen them take the child. No one had paid a bit of attention it seemed. All except Kaida, who had been tailing the little girl and her nanny. He had seen the men take the child as the nanny walked through the large crowd.

"I'll save you princess." Kaida whispered as he waited until night fall to rescue the little girl.

*End Dream Sequence*

Kyoko sat up slowly and looked around, still groggy from sleep, all memory of the dream fleeing from her as she tried to remember it. She yawned and looked toward her window, the sun was setting she could see. It was around this time that dinner was to be served she wondered why no one had come to get her yet. She got out of bed and went to her vanity and sat in the little chair in front of the mirror. Her hair was a mass of tangled curls, picking up her brush she started to think about what she was going to tell her father about Taiyan. She really didn't know. She sighed as she picked up a barrette to fasten her hair up.

"Time to face the music." she whispered to her reflection standing up and taking one last look in the mirror checking over herself quickly.

"Poor little princess," a voice laughed hatefully after Kyoko had left the room. "I think we should put her out of her misery, don't you think my little pet?" the voice asked a small creature in her hand. The creature snarled hungrily. It had not fed for days; it would be a perfect time to quench its craving by letting it feed on her enemy. The woman in the mirror thought as she let the animal go and watched it travel to the bed. There it hid in the dark and she smiled in pleasure. It was time to take revenge on Kyoko, it was rime to make sure that the annoying twit didn't discover more about herself, and become powerful enough to regain her past memories. There was one other person she had to kill next, and she mustn’t keep her waiting.