Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Moon E(ternals) ❯ In Which the Past is Revealed… The Power of Mars Defeats Ei. ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Next installment is up. I know that it seems like I'm beating up on Rei, but there is a reason. I had to have some reason behind her coldness with Yuuichirou. This is another long chapter. This one and one more and we'll be done with Sailor Mars. Who will change next? We know that all four have been over taken now, but what of the other…the “protectors…”
Disclaimer: I do not own the Sailor Moon characters. Naoko Takeuchi has that illustrious honor. I do however own the villains, the golden senshi, and the story line I am writing about.
**********
 
Chapter 4
In Which the Past is Revealed… The Power of Mars Defeats Ei.
 
“R…Rei-san?”
 
“I love you,” Rei said, breathing hard. She was so tired she decided to be simply honest. “I've loved you for a long time but I didn't want to admit it. I've been…hurt before by men and I didn't want to risk being hurt by you…”
 
Ditio's face went from confusion, to depression, to happiness and back to confusion all within a space of a few seconds. “Rei, what I said earlier. I…I'm serious. I can't do this anymore. I can't just open my heart to you again just because you know I'm Kamen no Mars.”
 
“But, Yuuichirou, I'm…”
 
“No, Rei. I'm sorry, but…no.” Yuuichirou turned on his heel and ran towards the street.
 
“Yuuichirou!”
 
**********
 
Neo-Queen Serenity paced in her bed chamber, waiting for King Endymion and Small Lady to come see her. She had not told them of the problems yet, she could barely believe it herself. After putting Venus in her room she got an announcement that Mercury and Jupiter had been found as well; Mercury with icy water and Jupiter with lightening. Now all of her original guardians were in some state of change. She felt a wind on the back of her neck and turned to face Pluto.
 
“Someone used the time stream to go back in time.” Simply said, but it made Neo-Queen Serenity worried.
 
“Do you know who?”
 
Ignoring her question, Pluto continued. “I got an idea that if this person didn't go back in time, all four of your guardians would have been killed by Minerva's minions.”
 
“You do know who!” Neo-Queen Serenity accused. “Pluto, you must tell me.”
 
Pluto sighed, knowing it was time that Neo-Queen Serenity knew the truth. “Of course, Your Highness. You already know of Sailor Minerva. She was once one of us, but when she went home to take care of her dying mother, Minerva was attacked by the Dark Kingdom and she was turned evil. There are two more missing senshi…”
 
“And the one who went to the past was one of them?”
 
“I believe so, yes.”
 
“Pluto…who is she. Why don't you want me to know?”
 
“You did not like her. And she was jealous of you.” Neo-Queen Serenity just looked at Pluto until she bowed her head. “My lover, Sailor Sun.”
 
Flashback
“Mother I want to be a Sailor Senshi. I love Sailor Sun's tiara.”
 
“Dearest, you can not be a Sailor Senshi; it is not in your blood. Besides, her tiara is both her joy and her shame.”
 
“What do you mean Queen Serenity?” this question was asked by Sailor Mercury, the smartest and most knowledge hungry of the five guardians of Princess Serenity.
 
“Well, let me give you some History.” Queen Serenity paused, gathering her thoughts. “As you know, there are two classes of people, the Royals and the Commoners. What you may not know is that that each class has two sub-classes. The Royals are split into Mages and Warriors. Princess Serenity and I are Mages. We have the ability to use magic, but we do not like to fight. We believe anything can be solved if you are diplomatic enough. Only as a last resort, will we use our magic to harm. We prefer to heal.”
 
“Warriors, on the other hand, while not liking to fight, they are not afraid of use their magic to harm, if need be. Warriors can become Mages, but rarely can Mages become Warriors. I've only heard of one Mage becoming a Warrior and she has become the most powerful in the Galaxy. She sealed Chaos recently…Everyone paused; they knew Queen Serenity was talking about Sailor Galaxia. “We believe that if ever a Mage becomes a Warrior, they become a strong Warrior with a strong sense of justice and love.”
 
“The Commoners are also split into two sub-classes. The higher is the Workers. These are the ones that provide the work that we depend on to rule, and we fight for them. The lower are the Non-Workers. This includes all the children and elders and any person not able to hold a job because of them being hurt or because of sickness. If a Commoner is physically able to work, they are required to hold a job. If they do not, they are kicked out of the Sol System. The only planet in the Sol System that does not follow our class system is Earth, but they do not allow anyone we have kicked out of the system to set foot on their planet.”
 
At the mention of the planet where her lover comes from, Princess Serenity blushed prettily. “But why is Sailor Sun's tiara her joy and shame?”
 
As a response, the queen smiled at each of the guardians of her daughter. “As each of you know, you are the respective princesses of your planets. Sailor Sun is the only one of the Sailor Senshi of the Sol System that is not of the royal class.”
 
“Earth doesn't have a princess, though.”
 
“No, but she has a prince. Fate was truly laughing on the day Prince Endymion was born. Each planet was supposed to have one princess, but for some reason, Queen Gaia did not have a girl, but a boy. Prince Endymion will never become a Sailor Senshi, though he is able to protect his planet. Sailor Sun, as I mentioned before, is the only senshi that is not of royal birth. When Sol System was created by Sailor Creator, she set up our system of Royals and Commoners, but she knew that we had to have protection…”
 
“That's what we're here for right?” Sailor Jupiter asked, looking happy about the prospect of beating up some evil beings.
 
“You four are here to protect the Princess while Sailors Pluto, Uranus, Neptune, and Saturn are here to protect the system, but who will protect all of you? We once had Satellite Senshi, but after time, when not enough babies were born, we had to filter those particular warriors out. Sailor Creator knew that Sol System would need someone who is NOT Royal to protect all the princesses of the system, so she created a special position and infused one Commoner family with the ability to use magic. That family is the family Sailor Sun comes from. Her tiara, being so big, shows everyone she meets that she is not like you, the other warriors. She has no planetary symbol on her forehead. Her tiara tells everyone she is still a Commoner, despite having the ability to use magic.
 
“Sailor Sun is a brave warrior, but she will never have the ability to become a Mage like all of you will be able to. Sailor Creator wrote, `When time comes for Sun to rise/Let all be well in Earthling skies/She will rise and Moon will fall/Only to have two answer the call.' Scholars for years have stated that it means if Sailor Sun is ever declared Royal; the ability of the Sol System to produce warriors will disappear.”
 
“Can't we do anything about it?” Princess Serenity asked. Her mother shook her head and the Princess looked down at her clasped hands. Sailor Pluto stepped inside the room to take the young senshi outside to practice when Princess Serenity piped up again, “It's unfair. Tell Sailor Sun to stop being a senshi then.”
 
After Pluto and the others left, Queen Serenity enfolded the Princess in her embrace. “I know its hard darling, but you must understand. If she stepped down, the Moon will die.”
 
“But Mother,” Princess Serenity said crying softly, “she and Pluto love each other.”
 
Queen Serenity flinched, knowing her daughter spoke the truth, but not realizing how perceptive her still rather naïve child was. “I know. But Pluto knows why it's forbidden and why she has to give up her love to duty. It's the only way for us to survive.”
End of Flashback
 
“You know, I didn't hate her.” Neo-Queen Serenity stated.” Pluto looked shocked and Serenity smiled. “I wanted the two of you to be happy. You loved her…”
 
“Yes. I still do, but we don't know where she had been these last several thousand years.”
 
“We'll find her. You deserve the happiness we all have.”
 
“All?”
 
“Mars, Venus, Mercury, and Jupiter all were taken over by some power, manifesting itself through their senshi powers. I was informed a few minutes ago that two of the Commoners once known as companions to those four were also overtaken by the same power.” At Pluto's confused look, the queen smiled and said. “The man once known as Yuuichirou, for example, was taken over by fire, just as Mars has been.”
 
“Ah, the Guardian Protectors. Who is the second man?” Pluto asked, nodding.
 
Serenity smiled and said, “Motoki.”
 
“Your royal cook?” At Serenity's nod, Pluto hmphed.
 
Serenity, remembering an earlier curiosity asked and wanting to avoid the conversation with Pluto on what aspect he was taken over by asked, “Why is it that I can remember the previous timeline and only get cloudy glimpses of what the future is turning into?”
 
Pluto shrugged and said, “It's possible that this future is not quite set yet. The way I saw it, it was one of multiples. The only reason I brought it up to you is because I learned long ago to recognize when a timeline was being changed.”
 
“I see.”
 
Pluto looked up at the sound of footsteps. “Someone is coming.”
 
“Probably Endymion and Small Lady.”
 
“I wouldn't tell them about the changing timeline. It could be they have no idea that there is anything wrong.”
 
“I was going to just tell them about Mars and the rest being overcome by magic.”
 
“Keep it simple, Your Highness.” And with that, Pluto bowed out of the room.
 
“Mama!” the pink haired princess of Crystal Tokyo said.
 
“Darling,” the king said, kissing his wife on the cheek. “What is the urgent news?”
 
As the trio walked towards another part of the palace, the queen said, “It all started when Mars…”
 
**************
 
Yuuichirou paused when he heard Rei cry out, but he shook his head and continued to walk towards the street. I can't do this to myself. She is not willing to be with me as Yuuichirou, so… Without realizing it, tears were running down his face. I'm left alone in the end after all.
 
“Yuuichirou, wait! Yuuichirou!” Rei ran up to the long haired man and pulled him around. “Are you willing to give up on me…on us, without hearing me out?”
 
“Why should I hear you out? The only thing you ever do is yell at me and make me feel as small as a doll. So tell me, Hino Rei, why should I listen to a woman who has ignored me until this point?” Yuuichirou was yelling and didn't care. He wanted to grab Rei and kiss her until she cried, but he knew that would only lead to further tears…from him.
 
Rei bowed her head, knowing Yuuichirou was right, but she still held on to his arm. “Yuuichirou…” the tears in her eyes choked her as she stared at him. “…Please, listen to me.”
 
“Let me go, Rei.”
 
“Not until you hear me out.”
 
“Rei…”
 
“No! Do you know why I always yelled at you? Do you? Or are you just going to make a wrong assumption because you don't want to hear the truth and maybe admit you're wrong.”
 
Yuuichirou looked down at Rei. She had never, in all the time she yelled at him, she had never talked to him like this. She hit unnervingly close to the truth. “Fine.”
 
“Let's go somewhere to talk.”
 
“Alright,” Yuuichirou begrudged.
 
Rei didn't release Yuuichriou's sleeve the entire time they walked towards Crown Parlor. When they got there, she pulled Motoki aside and told him to not let anyone bother them. Motoki got the hint and also stayed away. “Before I knew where I came from, I fell in love with a man. My father had an aide that, on my birthday, would always take me out to dinner and buy me my birthday present. He claimed my father bought the presents and he just was too busy on my birthday to give me the gifts, but we both knew that was a lie.”
 
“At one point in time, the aide claimed that we were kindred spirits. Neither of us would marry and if we did, it would have to be someone like us. I thought that meant he was in love with me, but was waiting until I was of age to tell me and my father. I forgot, for a time, that I was lonely and different than everyone when I spent time with him. I had already fallen in love with him, but I don't think he saw me as anything other than the daughter of his boss.”
 
“It was a few months after I became who I am, that I saw him with a beautiful woman. I found out that she was his fiancée. I went to my father and asked him what had happened and he responded that his aide knew a good political match when he saw one. And why not? He was a politician, just like my father. I vowed to never fall in love again after that. I didn't want to risk my heart breaking like it did then.”
 
“So when I met you,” Rei sighed, looking up at Yuuichirou. “I felt the pull of attraction from the beginning but I told myself I had to harden my heart. So I did. I kept my feelings for you hidden and to have them remain hidden, I had to put my irritation at some of the stuff you did up front. Most of the time, I wasn't that irritated. I didn't not trust you, but I was afraid of you getting tired of me. Like my father did.”
 
Yuuichirou sat stunned. He had never known this about Rei. “Why would anyone get tired of a beautiful, wonderful woman like you?”
 
Rei flushed and ducked her head. “…oh…”
 
“I'm sorry, Rei-chan. I…I never knew. I can assure you I'd never leave you.”
 
“I know.”
 
Yuuichirou leaned forward and gently kissed her. The gently, chaste kiss turned more passionate as they felt the fires of Mars heat their blood. Yuuichirou sat back after a minute or two and looked thoughtfully at the blushing Rei. “What made you change your mind about me?”
 
“You were willing to go after the monster for me. Before I knew who you were, you were willing to put your own safety aside to fight a danger, even after you told me you weren't interested.”
 
Yuuichirou smiled and held his hand out for Rei. “Let's get you home so you can rest.”
 
“We have an old score to settle first.”
 
*********
 
Ei swirled into an empty park on Tokyo University's campus. She had a Mind Soul card hidden in the folds of her white dress and she was waiting for the perfect opportunity. She didn't see the man in red in bronze sneak up behind her. “You don't want to do that,” she heard a voice say. She turned to see the tip of a sword at her throat.
 
“How will you stop me? I'm an ice demon. I will just let your sword pass through me.”
 
“He won't be defeating you,” said another voice.
 
Ei craned her neck and saw Sailor Mars standing behind her. She held up scepter and held it up in the air.
 
“Mars…” power started gathering at the tip, around the jewel “…Priestess…” she slowly let the scepter fall so the jewel was touching the ground, “…Inferno.” A wave of flames left the scepter and swept towards Ei and Ditio. Ditio leapt out of the way and the red haired woman screamed in a second of agony before she disappeared in a burst of pure ice. Mars' legs buckled and she fell on the ground. Ditio helped her up, then picked her up in his arms and carried her towards the cluster of lights on the other side of the park.