Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Shades of Grey ❯ Add one Senshi... ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN at the bottom…

Title: Shades of Grey

Authors: Moonlight Storm

E-mail: MoonlightStormSM@aol.com

Genre: Romance/Action/AU/Supernatural

Season: 1st

Standard disclaimer applies.

Chapter 10

~*~

Usagi stepped jubilantly into the Crown, quickly scanning the surrounding area for a glimpse of a familiar head of dark hair. He raised his head at the jingling of the bells to announce an entrance, and met her eyes. Usagi shook her head nearly imperceptibly, telling him not to come over - she had not told them yet.

"Luna hasn't come yet. Wonder where she's gone off to…" Ami commented, after following Usagi into the Crown. "Since she's not here yet, I'm heading to the restroom really fast. Give me just a minute, Usagi-chan," Ami set her schoolbag on the counter next to Usagi's.

"Hai, Ami-chan. I might head to the arcade area."

`Now I can go tell Mamoru what's going on. I really should have a chat with him soon, find out how far his vampiric abilities have progressed… Setsuna said he changed because *I* did, but I don't see how that would work… Our link, as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen? But I don't even understand why *that* is in effect. Gods, I can't believe *Mamoru*, of all people, is Tuxedo Kamen…'

Usagi shook her head to clear her thoughts, while striding quickly over to Mamoru's booth.

"Mamoru-kun, I'm getting Luna and Ami-chan together here. Then, we'll head over to the park, I guess, so I can tell them about Setsuna, and you, and then I have a hunch Luna will want to talk to you."

Usagi glanced at the clock above the Crown doors.

"Give me… 45 minutes, then come find us in the rose gardens in the park. There's a small spot just off to the right a little after the entrance. You wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking, but it should be easy enough for you to find. You know that spot?"

Mamoru arched an eyebrow, smiling behind his coffee cup.

"The rose gardens, Odango? Shouldn't the saviors of the world have some sort of building for these kind of things?"

Usagi, overcome with the irrational urge to blush, fought it off before quipping, "You find a way to talk the government into giving us a building to plan how best to save the world and we'll talk. Ami should be back any second, see you in 45 minutes."

Sliding into the booth, Usagi waved as Ami exited the restroom.

"I thought you would be in the arcade, Usagi-chan."

The golden child shrugged, "Nah, I decided to wait for you."

Ami smiled before picking her schoolbag up from the counter and pointing to the window, "Luna's outside. We better go."

Usagi turned her head to see Luna perched on the windowsill outside the Crown, then followed Ami into the fresh spring air.

~*~

Shortly after leaving the Crown, Usagi, Ami, and Luna found themselves nestled into a private alcove in the rose gardens of the nearest park. After a few minutes of struggling for words, Usagi proceeded to tell Luna and Ami everything that had happened, conveniently editing out any and all parts relating to vampiric activities. With few outbursts from either of them, it took Usagi a shorter time than expected to finish her story. However, before Usagi could tell them of the upcoming meeting with Mamoru, Luna began to speak.

"We'll need to talk with Mamoru soon, assuming he's willing to join forces with us as you claimed, Usagi. Right now, though, I have more news. You two may have been wondering why I was late today, but as I was walking here I sensed a strange presence. It took me a fair time before I could pinpoint its source, but I finally did: the Hiwaka Shrine. This power was coming from a dark-haired girl, wearing a T*A Private Girls Academy school uniform. At first, I thought the power might just be manifesting itself because she was an exceptionally strong miko-in-training, for she changed into the Shinto temple robes. Yet, her power felt increasingly familiar. When she went inside to pray to the sacred fire, I realized - her power is that of a Senshi, the guardian of Mars."

"This priestess is Sailor Mars? We've already found the next Senshi?"

"Hai, Usagi. And if her power is showing, I have a feeling she will become involved in the next youma fight. We should visit her now, before the youma appears, and try to explain everything. Her gifts as a miko may affect her abilities as a Senshi, or she may have noticed changes in her day-to-day training, which could have alerted her to strengthening powers within her. If the miko has, it should be easier to convince her of her Senshi heritage, short of her henshin pen being revealed."

And with that, all thought of meeting Mamoru was driven from Usagi's mind.

~*~

"So, the Senshi are progressing with no further help from me. I think it is time for Ikuko and Kenji to go on their trip. Perhaps tomorrow. That should be sufficient time for matters to arrange themselves, and my next appearance as Setsuna shall be fulfilled."

~*~

Two Junior High students, accompanied by a small black cat, made their way up the steps before the Hiwaka Shrine, the afternoon sun shining against their backs. At the top of the steps, a dark-haired temple maiden stood sweeping the entry to the temple. Upon hearing their footsteps, the young miko looked at the visitors and smiled.

"Welcome to Hiwaka Shrine. I am Hino Rei," she said, bowing slightly, "May I help you? Perhaps you'd like a charm bracelet?"

Luna glanced up at her charges, making sure they would take the girl to a secure place to talk to her.

Usagi swiftly took over the situation, "Hino-san, we'd like to speak to you. Could we talk privately somewhere?"

Rei blinked at them for a moment, before recovering her composure and gesturing gracefully to the temple itself, luckily taking no notice of Luna trailing the trio.

~*~

Mamoru had quickly found the niche Usagi spoke of in the rose gardens, and arrived promptly 45 minutes after they last spoke - yet the area was empty. He waited another 10 minutes before exiting the park angrily.

`She stood me up! I will speak with the golden spitfire child tonight… Then maybe she'll tell me exactly what the hell is happening around here.'

~*~

After seating themselves around a small table, Usagi began to speak again.

"Ne, before we begin, I should probably introduce myself. I'm Tsukino Usagi, and this is Mizuno Ami," gesturing to the blue-haired girl, Usagi continued. "This probably sounds extremely odd, but we possess the key to allow you to become a fighter for justice."

Looking at them in near anger, Rei seemed about ready to take this as a joke, an insult to her temple.

"Look, if this is a joke, I have better things to be doing. I need to go finish my chores."

Usagi held up a hand, stopping Rei before she could stand from the table.

Ami chimed in with her own protest, "Please, just listen a few minutes. Then you'll understand."

Rei looked at them in disbelief, clearly skeptical.

Usagi tried again.

"Have you seen the news lately? Or heard stories of strange youma being driven off by several superheroes in short skirts, and a tuxedo-clad man?"

The miko nodded hesitantly.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Those superheroes are called Senshi, specifically Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury, and the man is Tuxedo Kamen. And you, are soon to be Sailor Mars."

~*~

AN: Not much of a cliffhanger, ne? Well I tried. Sort of. *sweatdrop* Anyway, sorry again its kind of short. You may notice I include elements of both the anime and the manga, mainly because I personally like the manga much more than the anime, but am more familiar with the anime. Hence, this fic is going to contain pieces of each. It'll be like aniga. Or something. o.O

Did it seem like Rei was ooc? I tried to have her react as she would in Takeuchi-sama's own head… but it doesn't always work that way. Were any of the characters ooc? Let me know, or any other comments/criticism you have.

Also, I'd like to thank all the people who actually read this. And especially Myst, for reviewing. You have *no* idea what a boost to my ego that is. ^^

*Please* review, or e-mail me at MoonlightStormSM@aol.com. Thanks for reading!